Frank Lloyd Wright’s Ennis House in Los Angeles

by hookedonhouses on July 30, 2009

Frank Lloyd Wright’s famous Ennis House in the Los Feliz neighborhood of Los Angeles, California, has been put on the market by the Ennis House Foundation, a non-profit that has spent years restoring it. They’re offering it for $15 million “to the right buyer” who is willing to invest what is necessary to continue the home’s restoration–it’s estimated that it would take another $5-7 million to finish the restoration that the private foundation already spent $6.5 million on.

The Ennis house was built in 1924 and is the largest of the “textile block” houses that Wright built. It was based on ancient Mayan temples and is sometimes referred to as an example of “Mayan Revival Style.”

It was primarily constructed with pre-cast, interlocking concrete blocks. It has had problems since the beginning–before it was even finished, some of the blocks were cracking and lower sections of the walls were buckling.

If the house looks familiar, that may be because it has been used in so many movies, TV shows, and music videos over the years, from “Blade Runner” to “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” (at the beginning of the second season).

To see the rest of the photos and read more about this home, go to the Los Angeles Times. To see a more traditional Frank Lloyd Wright house, check out the William P. Boswell house, which had never been photographed publicly before.

Ms.Tee July 30, 2009 at 10:24 am

Wow, that hallway is amazing! Whenever I hear Frank Lloyd Wright’s name, I think of Simon and Garfunkel. They had a song named after him and we used to listen to it all the time. :0)
.-= Ms.Tee´s last blog ..Pretty Table on a Budget =-.

AnNicole@OurSuburbanCottage July 30, 2009 at 10:35 am

Wow – that house is incredible. I love his architecture.
.-= AnNicole@OurSuburbanCottage´s last blog ..What’s Your Fave ORB Spray Paint? =-.

Struggler July 30, 2009 at 10:57 am

Goodness, it does have that ‘vampire’ feel to it, doesn’t it. Not sure I’d feel very comfortable living there, but I hope they find a suitable buyer.
.-= Struggler´s last blog ..F is for Following =-.

youhavebeenheresometime July 30, 2009 at 11:15 am

this is such an amazing site!

thank you!!!!!

all the best, david john
.-= youhavebeenheresometime´s last blog .. =-.

christy July 30, 2009 at 11:46 am

Wow I’ve never seen pictures of the house before – if I’ve seen it in the movies, I don’t recognize it. I wonder if they’re looking for the right buyer to fix it up and then live IN it? I can’t imagine it being warm and cozy at all – with all that cement. But I do admire his work and am glad you posted about it!
.-= christy´s last blog ..My big fat lie =-.

Ramona July 30, 2009 at 11:59 am

You sure can feel the spirit of this house. Mr. Wright was able to give a house a real personality…I sure do appreciate his contributions. AND…what a beautiful So. Cal. setting with the mountains in the background. Gorgeous!

Hope you are having a relaxing summer.

Smiles ~ Ramona
.-= Ramona´s last blog ..Tea Pot Toppers And Other Summer Silliness =-.

Dagny @ Beautiful Living July 30, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Wow, Julia, that’s just a stunning house! It should be a museum like Hearst so everyone can enjoy it. Hearst is so much more over the top though, this is real artistry. Love it!
.-= Dagny @ Beautiful Living´s last blog ..Inspirational Reading / Inspirerende lesestoff =-.

Sara @ thecincylife July 30, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Good post Julia! I love seeing Frank Llyod houses. I’m sure you know this but we have 3 Frank Llyod Wright homes here in Cincy.
.-= Sara @ thecincylife´s last blog ..Progress in the Square (a.k.a. traffic is about to get ugly) =-.

rue July 30, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Hi Julia :)

I’m hoping that they make it a museum for generations to enjoy and not a private home. I don’t always love his work, but this is pure California and I’m partial to it :)

rue
.-= rue´s last blog ..A love of horses =-.

Cindy July 30, 2009 at 12:26 pm

Oh my gosh, that is gorgeous. I love how Wright’s houses and buildings were all form before function — that this one had problems from the beginning. But if you lived in the middle of this much beauty, I suppose leaky walls wouldn’t be as vexing as they might be in a 1970s ranch, huh? :) Thanks so much for the post!
.-= Cindy´s last blog ..Dreaming of Marshmallows =-.

greenie July 30, 2009 at 12:33 pm

It certainly has a foreboding quality to it. No wonder it’s been used for scenes in Blade Runner and the like. I like elements of it, but I prefer his work in wood and glass that blend into natural surroundings. I love this quote from FLW: “I believe in God, only I spell it N-a-t-u-r-e.”

Amy July 30, 2009 at 12:43 pm

That house is a work of art. It’s absolutely beautiful. I just don’t think I could live in something like that.

I have a coffee table book of homes that he designed. I’ve always been interested in it because my hometown is where he designed several buildings for Florida Southern College. So every time we drove through town I’d see his buildings.
.-= Amy´s last blog ..Ooh, Pretty! =-.

Jackie Whitley July 30, 2009 at 1:05 pm

I’ve toured his home north of Phoenix. The government built a HUGE power line across Arizona that goes right past that home. Wright went straight to FDR to try & change the route.

Billy July 30, 2009 at 2:16 pm

The foundation was going to open the house but the neighbors complained; the place sits in the middle of an enclave of high 7 and low 8 figure houses (not estates) on a road that is not forgiving, narrow curvy up a hill….

There are a lot of hurt feeling about the sale, people gave to the foundation so the house could be opened but the with the neighbors kybosh, the cartable organization has little choice but to sell in a market that is as stable as house built on fill in an earthquake.

The Blushing Hostess July 30, 2009 at 2:57 pm

I never tire of looking at his work, a book on it is among my favorites.
.-= The Blushing Hostess´s last blog ..JayCox Reinel: Inviting Architecture =-.

Tamara July 30, 2009 at 3:07 pm

I hope Brad and Angelina buy this place…..I think they like Frank Lloyd Wright stuff. Angelina gave Brad a private tour of Falling Waters for his birthday a year or 2 ago.

Boy, do I ever know some strange facts for a greenhouse lady, don’t I?
.-= Tamara´s last blog ..It’s Only 150 Days Till Christmas =-.

Pigtown-Design July 30, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Did you hear the story about the Ennit House on NPR this morning? It was really amazing the word picture they painted!

Amanda @ Serenity Now July 30, 2009 at 4:17 pm

I haven’t seen this one before! Those columns are amazing. :)
.-= Amanda @ Serenity Now´s last blog ..DIY: Easy Flower Hairclips (Easy to Make, Easy on Your Wallet) =-.

Robin July 31, 2009 at 9:32 pm

I’ve never seen this house before and when I saw some of the pics without first reading the text I thought it was the FLW-inspired Arizona Biltmore Hotel, which was designed by one of his protege and I believe finished by the man himself. Given that the hotel (one of my all time favorite hotels in the world, for the architecture, ambiance, history and fabulous service) is still standing 70-odd years later, I would say that they learned from any mistakes made with this house when building the hotel.
.-= Robin´s last blog ..Croc-a-doodle-doo =-.

Joel December 19, 2009 at 12:28 am

Beautiful!

Gwynneth August 14, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Thanks for posting this! It is an amazing house, and it’s interesting how many different “incarnations” or versions of it have been made, from Deckard’s (Harrison Ford) high-tech apartment in “Blade Runner”‘s futuristic L.A., to Angel’s high-style digs in both “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and I think, “Angel”, and most lately, as the home of a vicious drug dealer in “Nip/Tuck”. It keeps re-appearing on that show, since the character, Sean McNamara starts hallucinating about the return of the guy, giving him “advice” on everything from women to murder.

Speaking of “Blade Runner”, I’d LOVE to see you do a piece on the famous Bradbury Building, which was basically condemned when the film was shot, and then restored, later appearing in films such as “Wolf” w/Jack Nicholson.