The Sets on Gossip Girl: Where the Young & Fabulous Live

by hookedonhouses on March 16, 2009

Gossip Girl TV show cast and sets on CW

Whoever said money doesn’t buy happiness doesn’t know where to shop.” -Blair Waldorf

The sets on the popular CW series Gossip Girl are pretty fabulous, so I thought we’d take a closer look at them today. The camera could simply follow these characters around from set to set and I’d still be glued to the TV every week.

Rufus Humphrey (Matthew Settle) is a single dad raising his son Dan and daughter Jenny in this Brooklyn loft:

Gossip Girl TV show sets Dan's loft

I love the loft set with these double doors and all of the exposed brick walls. It’s a stretch to believe that these are the “poor kids from the wrong side of town” who live here. Oh, to be this underprivileged!

Gossip Girl TV show sets Dan's loft 2

Rufus and daughter Jenny in the kitchen:

Gossip Girl TV show sets Dan's loft 5

Behind Jenny, who is sitting at the kitchen counter, you can see the dining room, which is separated by a wall of shelves holding old record albums (Rufus used to be a musician who had a big hit or two):

Gossip Girl TV show sets Dan's loft 6

Gossip Girl TV show sets Dan's loft 7

Serena and Dan in Dan’s room. You can see the exposed-brick wall behind them and the built-in bookshelves:

Gossip Girl TV show sets Dan's loft 3

There’s a garage door that divides Dan’s room from Jenny’s:

Gossip Girl TV show sets Dan's loft 9

Jenny’s room has a kimono hanging over her bed. Jenny wants to be a fashion designer and sews most of her own clothes:

Gossip Girl TV show sets Dan's loft 8

Nate Archibald:

Gossip Girl TV show Nate's townhouse

Nate, played by Chace Crawford, has a much more prestigious address on the Upper East Side.

Gossip Girl TV show Nate's townhouse 2

Gossip Girl TV show Nate's townhouse 3

The Palace Hotel:

Gossip Girl TV show sets Palace Hotel

The hotel is owned by Bart Bass, tycoon father of the entertainingly wicked Chuck Bass (Ed Westwick, who reminds me of a young J.R. Ewing in this role). The Bass men live here with Bart’s new wife Lily van der Woodsen and her children Serena and Eric (in Season One, anyway).

Gossip Girl TV show sets Bass living room

Gossip Girl Palace Hotel living room

Gossip Girl Palace Hotel kitchen

Gossip Girl Palace Hotel breakfast room

Serena's bedroom on Gossip Girl

Gossip Girl TV show Blair's bedroom

Gossip Girl TV show sets dining room

Blair Waldorf:

Gossip Girl TV show sets Blair's foyer

Blair (played by Leighton Meester) spends more time with her housekeeper Dorota than with her parents:

Gossip Girl TV show sets Blair's foyer 2

Gossip Girl TV show sets Blair's living room

Blair’s bedroom:

Gossip Girl TV show sets Blair's bedroom 3

Gossip Girl TV show sets Blair's bedroom 4

Gossip Girl TV show sets Blair's bedroom

Gossip Girl TV show sets Blair's bedroom 2

Gossip Girl TV show sets Blair's bedroom 5

Blair’s mom, fashion designer Eleanor Waldorf (played by Margaret Colin), in the kitchen:

Gossip Girl TV show sets Blair's kitchen

There’s an amazing 360-degree virtual tour of some of the sets on the InStyle website (where some of these set photos come from) if you want to see more. Do you have a favorite character–or house?

behind the scenes shooting Gossip Girl

Check out Houses Onscreen to see more sets I’ve featured, including…

Pretty Little Liars houses ABC FamilyThe Houses from Pretty Little Liars

Want to get my weekly newsletter via email so you don’t miss anything?

Lindsay March 16, 2009 at 8:02 am

I’ve seen bits and pieces of the show and was definitely wowed by the sets! I can’t even begin to fathom that kind of lifestyle. Thanks for sharing!

Lindsay’s last blog post..DIY Mottled Egg Spring Wreath

The Little Big House March 16, 2009 at 8:28 am

I love these set posts! It is so fun to see all the different characters illustrated in their homes :).

The Little Big House’s last blog post..I organized my Cupboards today…

Suzanne March 16, 2009 at 8:41 am

I have to admit Gossip Girl is my guilty pleasure:) I love the detailed photos of the sets.

Suzanne’s last blog post..Friday Freebie!

Meg March 16, 2009 at 8:46 am

I will admit it too…sigh…Gossip Girl is my guilty pleasure also! Thanks for the pictures, great way to start off my Monday!

Meg’s last blog post..Just The Right Home Office…

Holly March 16, 2009 at 9:29 am

Well, I’d never heard of the show, and now I’m not sure I should watch it. I really don’t need to be hooked on anymore tv! BTW, how do any of these girls move without showing their undies? I guess short is ‘in’.

Holly’s last blog post..Springtime Palette

desiree March 16, 2009 at 10:01 am

I have never seen the show, but I will have to watch just to see that great house/penthouse!

desiree’s last blog post..Sonoma’s Opia: An Asian Inspired Home and Garden Shop

AnNicole@OurSuburbanCottage March 16, 2009 at 10:13 am

Ok, I love Gossip Girl. I started watching it part way through the last season and I got hooked. It’s such a guilty pleasure…and I think Rufus is kind of cute…pathetic, I know :).

AnNicole@OurSuburbanCottage’s last blog post..FLEA-TIQUE STORE FINDS

Lazy Mom Leslie March 16, 2009 at 10:20 am

I too am hooked on Gossip Girl. I am amazed that they can air half of what they do considering the characters are underaged. I know, I’m conservative. I always drool over all the houses and it’s so interesting to see the in production picutre where it looks like a set instead of someone’s home.

bungalow_bliss March 16, 2009 at 10:50 am

Wow, each is fabulous in its own way. I don’t know which would be my fave–I love the exposed brick of the loft, the staircase of Nate’s apartment, and the views of the penthouse. *sigh*

bungalow_bliss’s last blog post..This Could Be Dangerous–

Pam Galloway March 16, 2009 at 12:23 pm

What is it about a loft? Maybe it speaks to the part of us that wants to tame something wild and free and live with it. Maybe it’s the ultimate re-purposing experience. Whatever it is, the pictures of the GG loft make this Cottage/Bungalow girl fantasize about living in the city. Maybe. One day.

Aubrey March 16, 2009 at 12:53 pm

I heard they’re finally going to have a new episode of Gossip Girl tonight. It’s very interesting watching them try to his Kelly Rutherford’s pregnancy. I wish my maternity clothes looked that good.

Did you see who won the HGTV house? I better go check the website, since I have no cable and no idea who won.

Aubrey’s last blog post..Things That Make Me Happy

Robin March 16, 2009 at 9:02 pm

I’ve never watched this show but I do love the sets you’ve shown. File under “when I win the lottery”. The NY Palace Hotel they show is the old Helmsley Palace, I used to walk by it on the way from Grand Central to work every day back when I worked in Manhattan. Our PR department was full of gossip-girl types — they all wore the same outfit of black tights, black turtlenecks, and mini-kilts, and they traveled in a pack — but it was 1990 and we just called them “the PR girls”.

Robin’s last blog post..Well, that’s one way to get more shoes….

Suzy March 16, 2009 at 9:29 pm

I am hooked on GG too! These kids sure do live the high life, don’t they? Thanks for Sharing.

Suzy’s last blog post..Cheddar Cheese Soup with Guinness…

Kristen @ More Than Mulberries March 16, 2009 at 10:10 pm

The staircase in the house (Chase? I’ve never seen the show) reminds me a bit of that one Meg Ryan movie, Kate and Leopold – also Something’s Gotta Give where Jack has the party in his mansion and realizes he’s OLD…Both movies came to mind as soon as I saw that landing!

Kristen @ More Than Mulberries’s last blog post..Checklist

Kellye March 17, 2009 at 4:03 am

I adore the architecture of the hotel. I’m a huge NYC architecture buff, tending to like anything limestone or built by McKim, Mead & White.

Having never watched the show, I had no idea that Margaret Colin was on it. I’ve loved her ever since she was Margo on ATWT. I will have to tune in to see what all the fuss is about.

Wayfaring Wanderer March 17, 2009 at 8:22 am

I love the loft, although I wouldn’t trade it for my house in the valley :)

Wayfaring Wanderer’s last blog post..Breathing Easy

RehabOrDie March 18, 2009 at 6:27 am

Holly,

Answer to your Q: Maybe they just don’t wear undies?

;)

I probably won’t watch the show, but I had to comment on the under-privileged set. That reminds of of the Friends set. How much money would you have to make to afford to live in either place (were they real)? Mid six figures?

I could probably do something like that here in Covington for $100K, if I put it in a rough neighborhood but that would be doing a lot of it myself. In NYC, I can’t imagine what that place would go for.

RehabOrDie’s last blog post..OK. Fine! Closet doors are finished!

Khiori March 18, 2009 at 12:27 pm

The Waldorf Kitchen is all wrong IMO. Love the white inset cabinets and marble…but the accessories??? NO kitchen like that has the microwave on the counter. (And a WHITE one to boot) Plus the toaster? The toaster would have a hiding place and be in it unless it’s being used. Or you’d have to shoot your KD.

And what’s with all the pans PLUS a teakettle on the range? Is that where she displays her copper collection? Doesn’t it get in the way? Or is she cooking a big dinner there and I just can’t see any food/flames/prep?

Lovely houses otherwise, but are there no real people in Hollywood to notice these things? Guess not. :D

laura @ the shore house March 26, 2009 at 11:15 pm

Oh it’s so good to be back in your online “home.” I so need a new job. But enough about me…

I’ve never watched this show, but I know that EXACT building in Brooklyn, and as for the “…single dad raising his son Dan and daughter Jenny in this Brooklyn loft”…unless he’s, say, found the cure for cancer or hit the Megaball Lottery, or perhaps both, I have this to say: NO WAY!! I mean, a cool 2.5 mil easily.

I’m just saying. ;-)

laura @ the shore house’s last blog post..The Best Sugar Cookies

Jenny September 27, 2010 at 11:10 am

The dad, rufus, used to be the lead singer/guitarist of a successful band so maybe that’s how he could afford it

hookedonhouses September 27, 2010 at 11:25 am

Good point! -Julia

Laura May 10, 2009 at 3:27 pm

Hi!
I’d love to see the Waldorf’s bathroom…!!! they gave a little peak of it on the last episode I think while Serena is talking with Dan about her Spanish affair… Any idea?

hookedonhouses May 10, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Hi, Laura! I love the Waldorf’s bathroom. I tried so hard to get a picture of it, but none of them turned out very well. There were always actors blocking the view of the room so you couldn’t really see anything. Sorry! – Julia

arthritistreatment78 July 2, 2009 at 2:40 am

i love this show and my day is not complete if i have not watched Gossip Girl. Blake Lively is certainly the most beautiful actress on Gossip Girl.

Jodi July 13, 2009 at 2:11 am

I would love to see the house from Practical Magic and the House from Charmed…. Do you think you will post these at any stage? Your site has been very helpful for ideas. thank you.

Nita September 15, 2009 at 2:34 am

I have never watched the show. What day and time? But, I didn’t know Margaret Colin was in it, and I adore her and her hubby, who plays Buzz on Guiding Light, which is ending this Friday after over 70 years. BOO HOO!!

hookedonhouses September 15, 2009 at 7:18 am

Monday nights on the CW channel. The season premiere was last night. -Julia

hookedonhouses September 15, 2009 at 7:19 am

Jodi–a post about “Practical Magic” is coming in October. I’ve had a few people ask for “Charmed,” but I don’t have any plans for it yet. I’ve never watched it, so I’ll have to check it out. -Julia

HopeB September 15, 2009 at 4:19 pm

The romantic, Victorian houses in “Practical Magic” and “Charmed” are just gorgeous!
They would be great subjects for posts–I especially liked how real-sized the Charmed house was, instead of seeming massive.

Nathan January 4, 2011 at 3:36 am

I’ve always wanted a loft. While I love some large houses, I think it’s ridiculous that one, two or three people need a 8,000+ sq ft apartment. So after that it is obvious my favourite home in the show is Rufus’ loft. I haven’t watched the show in a season or two, but second place would go to Lily’s apartment where Rufus, Dan and Jenny lived (briefly…still?!)

PrincessVolga January 15, 2011 at 4:00 am

I loooooove your website! I’ve been looking for shots of Blair’s apartment forever, and I could only find a few. So thanks a lot!

Rupert March 19, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I must say even as a boy I love this tv show- The Fashion, The Gossip and New York City.

But they only thing missing from these photos in Serena Van Der Woodsens apartment!!!

Matthew July 7, 2011 at 10:05 pm

As a guy I too am pretty hooked on this show.
Have to agree with you on the lack of Serena’s apartment, especially her room with the butterfly wall art!

Alex March 23, 2011 at 12:59 am

This post is really amazing.
I was just wondering if anybody could tell me the location of the mysterious house that chuck finds in Gossip Girl season 2 – Carnal Knowledge. Thanks

Link:

hookedonhouses March 23, 2011 at 8:47 am

I remember that episode, but I don’t know where that house is. Sorry! Does anyone else recognize it? -Julia

{ 4 trackbacks }