Ginnifer Goodwin at Home in the Hollywood Hills

by hookedonhouses on January 23, 2013

ELLE Ginnifer Goodwin at home in HollywoodActress Ginnifer Goodwin opens the doors to her home in California for the new issue of Elle magazine. Ginnifer–called Ginny by her friends–films her popular show Once Upon a Time in Vancouver but says she sometimes makes quick trips home to L.A. just to spend one night in her own bed.

ELLE Feb '13 Ginnifer Goodwin's house

Anyone else remember when she was on that TV show Ed about 10 years ago? She played a quirky teenager at the high school named Diane:

ginnifer-goodwin on TV show Ed

Since then she’s had memorable roles in movies like Walk the Line (as Vivian Cash) and on the HBO series Big Love. Now she’s starring as a modern-day Snow White on Once Upon a Time.

Ginnifer Goodwin and Josh Dallas Once Upon a Time

She’s currently dating her costar Josh Dallas, who plays her Prince Charming (above).

Ginnifer Goodwin's living room Hollywood ELLE

According to the article, “She chose the airy two-bedroom house in Whitley Heights, a Hollywood Hills enclave where Charlie Chaplin once resided, for its seclusion, but also because of its only-in-Tinseltown bachelorette-pad pedigree: Goodwin bought the place in 2007 from Busy Philipps, and previous tenants include Rachel Bilson and Rose McGowan.”

Ginnifer Goodwin's writing desk ELLE

She moved in 6 years ago and enlisted Amy Kehoe of design firm Nickey Kehoe to help her with the decorating. The article says Kehoe was recommended by Ginnifer’s Big Love costar and real-life best friend Jeanne Tripplehorn.

yellow table Ginnifer Goodwin's kitchen ELLE mag

To see more photos and read the story by Nora Zelevansky, check out Elle magazine’s February issue, on newsstands now. Photos by Hilary Walsh.

ELLE Feb '13 Goodwin 2

Hooked on Celebrity House Tours? Check out the Top 10!

Jen M January 23, 2013 at 8:13 am

I like the wallpaper and dark trim in the first 2 photographs, and the lighting fixture above the kitchen table. I wish we could see more of the house, but it seems to have character.

Did you see that she refers to the rooms as the “salon” and the “ballroom?” In a 2 bedroom house, really?

hookedonhouses January 23, 2013 at 8:20 am

I’m going to start calling my kids’ playroom our “ballroom,” and maybe I can turn the family room into a “salon.” Ha.

Jen M January 23, 2013 at 8:24 am

Sure! If she can do it, you can!

Amanda January 23, 2013 at 10:11 am

I’m going to call our master bedroom the “maid’s quarters.”

hookedonhouses January 23, 2013 at 10:14 am

That made me laugh out loud, Amanda. Too funny!

Spring January 23, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Wy not? My kids call the kitchen the skating rink.

Rosemarie January 23, 2013 at 9:01 am

I love her house! I usually find celebrity houses a bit too much, but hers seemed so homey and quaint.

65andcounting January 23, 2013 at 9:01 am

I wish there were broader photos of the kitchen. Where she’s standing in photo one, the windows are trimmed in black. But the windows are trimmed in white over the breakfast table. I have to assume they are in the same room. Might be an odd look for me.

And, who among us doesn’t have a Persian rug in front of the oven?! Sometimes these photo shoots are sooooooo ridiculous. Her girlfriends come over to play Monopoly?

PS: I remember this actress from the C grade movie: He’s Not That Into You.

hookedonhouses January 23, 2013 at 9:22 am

I agree–I’d love to see some wider shots of the rooms so we can see how they connect together better.

I’d forgotten about “He’s Just Not Into You.” I featured the sets from that movie several years ago if anyone wants to see them:

Janice January 23, 2013 at 9:17 am

Love it. It is personal and unique, not the same old cookie cutter style we see so often.

Alie B January 23, 2013 at 9:27 am

This place seems to suit Ginnifer, who exudes a similar classic vibe to that of Anne Hathaway, but I would find this place a bit frou frou after awhile. I guess I prefer things to be not quite so precious and a bit more rustic.

Danielle January 23, 2013 at 9:30 am

What a lovely home. I’m also digging her Stella McCartney dress from the first pick. Want!

Ricki Jill Treleaven January 23, 2013 at 10:11 am

I love Ginnifer’s home. It’s adorable just like she is! LOVE that kitchen.

Jane January 23, 2013 at 10:32 am

I love her personal style. I wouldn’t find everything practical for my life but now that I have a black and white kitchen (warmed with wood accents, from overhead light to black and brown tiles and wood floors), I’d love to use that kitchen wallpaper on one small wall..as an accent. We also painted our door and window trim and moldings black and they get plenty of complements.m

Loving that kitchen picture, photo display on the wall in another pic and the mix of casual and formal in the living room. That living room looks,comfy and not cluttered or stuffy.

House Crazy Sarah January 23, 2013 at 10:42 am

She’s such a cutie – and her house matches her personality! (I loved her in Mona Lisa Smile!) The ‘old Hollywood glamour’ style is very appealing.

Julie @ The Family CEO January 23, 2013 at 11:15 am

I love Gennifer Goodwin. I watched every episode of Big Love and maybe my favorite role of hers was in Win a Date with Tad Hamilton. Love her home too.

Beth January 23, 2013 at 11:20 am

I forgot she was in Ed, with her He’s Not That Into You costar, Justin Long! My husband and I both loved that show, with Julie Bowen and Tom Cavanaugh. Wonder if it’s on Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon prime? I’ll have to check it out.

Stephanie January 25, 2013 at 1:46 pm

I totally forgot she was in ‘Ed’, too! And I was having the same thought about it being on Netflix myself. I loved that show. I’m happy that Julie Bowen is still on TV with ‘Modern Family’. Tom Cavanaugh is apparently still working but the only things I watch with him in it seem to be all the cheesy Christmas made-for-TV romances (Snow, Trading Christmas, etc.).

I love Ginny’s dark kitchen and most of the rest of the house. I don’t know if I could see myself living there, but recently I really like the idea of dark window frames and black doors. This fits right into that.

Suzette January 23, 2013 at 11:28 am

I love this house! I really like the big windows with black trim in the kitchen.

Jane George January 23, 2013 at 11:32 am

Love the color palette in the living room.

Christina from Dallas January 23, 2013 at 11:34 am

Cute house! I guess with a two bedroom house you can say to visiting relatives, “Sorry I don’t have any extra room”, and mean it!

Carisa January 23, 2013 at 11:44 am

Her house seems so REAL and like it’s hers and not a generic, designer, anybody-could-live-here sort of place. Nice to see her barefoot and in flats. Hooray for no heels!

Kelly @ JAX does design January 23, 2013 at 11:44 am

Ginnifer Goodwin has come a long way since her days on Ed! I loved that show :-) Even though he character was kind of plain and dowdy, you could see that she was a beautiful girl. Her home is really nice – love the tufted purple ottoman in the living room :-) But what I like best are the views out the windows – I would love to live in a home surrounded by beautiful trees and greenery :-)

Renato Alves January 23, 2013 at 12:05 pm

If she has bad patching on the kitchen ceiling, why can’t I?
:P

ShabbyChick January 23, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Goodness! That front door! Those rugs! That wallpaper! Those windows! The light fixtures! AND THAT SECRETARY!!!!!!………plonk *-*……….really, my only complaint is that the ottoman isn’t centered in front of the fireplace, but that’s just my OCD talking. ;)

Erin Zangari January 23, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Thanks for sharing this Julia. I love it! There’s a lot of character and period details that remain intact. This neighborhood sounds great … I want to see more of the houses here. I especially love that kitchen lighting fixture and the check & striped chairs.

Catherine January 23, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Oh, I really like this one. Love that view of the front door and the little desk with the pink inside. Such a charming home I think.

Laura January 23, 2013 at 12:51 pm

While I really like a lot of the things in this house (entry wallpaper, casement windows, lighting), and the fact that it’s small, overall it’s way too much gray, black and white for me.

Claudia January 23, 2013 at 2:40 pm

I LOVE the big windows in her kitchen!

Jen January 23, 2013 at 3:01 pm

its nice a home lot little things i like in it looks like there is alot light in it too
ps she was in ED I knew I knew her from some where that fixs that

N.C. Lisa T. January 23, 2013 at 4:11 pm

I love the look of her home. So warm and inviting even with all the gray and black. It must be the use of tans and natural wood tones that warm it up. I would like wider shots, too!!

Sherry January 23, 2013 at 5:18 pm

The house is nice, but what I really love is that lacy outfit she’s wearing in the last picture.

Kim January 23, 2013 at 5:58 pm

It’s nice to see a celebrity that has good taste. I love this house. It’s charming, and suits Ginnifer Goodwin really well.

Esther George January 23, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Hi Julia well I am thinking what a lovely home with lots of character it suits her. Love the colours. It would be nice if we could see more of everything. I’ve been watching NBC news and am wondering how you guys are coping with all that snow and the cold it takes my breath away. Till next time Esther from a very humid Sydney.

UHI January 23, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Her house seems simple and cozy to live in. There isn’t too much decoration and it shows her personality that she is a simple person, which is what I like about her.

belledame January 24, 2013 at 3:03 am

cute home. odd there’s no bedroom or bathroom captured.

Holly January 24, 2013 at 8:20 am

Her house is dreamy – would live there in a heartbeat and love her style. I’ve always enjoyed her work. I found you from Kristie’s blog and came over to browse and read.

for the love of a house January 24, 2013 at 11:03 am

I ADORE her house. I rarely see houses where I think “I could move right in” but I could walk in and live there in a heartbeat!! That entry paper…swoon, and the kitchen… sigh. Her use of antique rugs is a girl after my own heart. I remember Ed!! Had no idea she was the same quirky girl! She has blossomed beautifully!
loved this post Julia!
joan

L June 19, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Jennifer Morrison’s (also from ‘Once Upon A Time) house was featured in InStyle just a few months ago. Do you have the scans for that house too?

hookedonhouses June 19, 2013 at 7:36 pm

No, but they’re on InStyle’s website:

{ 2 trackbacks }