A Barn from the 1800s Becomes a House in Isleboro, Maine

by hookedonhouses on February 10, 2012

If you’ve ever dreamed of living in a barn that’s been converted into a house, then take a look at this one. It was an old 1872 post and beam barn that was restored and transformed into a 4,200 square-foot home. It sits on nearly 13 scenic acres in Isleboro, Maine, near West Penobscot Bay, and it’s on the market for $1.19 million. Take a look!

The property surrounding the house is beautiful.

Like what they did with it? For more photos and information, check the listing by Donald Pendleton of Sotheby’s. (Thanks to Joanne for telling me about this one!)

P.S. You might like this one, too: An Old Barn Converted Into a Charming Guest House.

nanne February 10, 2012 at 7:40 am

that could be a such fabulous house…so many good features. the location is gorgeous–i’ve always wanted to visite the penobscot bay area since falling in love with robert mccloskey’s children’s books, one morning in maine & blueberries for sal.

nanne in columbus, indiana

Amanda @ Serenity Now February 10, 2012 at 7:56 am

What a neat feature! Ill never look at a barn the same way again…all the possibilities! Thanks for sharing, Julia. :)

Ariel February 10, 2012 at 8:01 am

Very cool. It’s a great space. Who wouldn’t want barn height ceilings!

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints February 10, 2012 at 8:03 am

Barns just make me happy. Can’t imagine getting to live in one. Amazing renovations. Happy weekend to ya Julia:)

Luciane at Homebunch.com February 10, 2012 at 8:27 am

What a fantastic place! I love barns, they have a charm you can’t find anywhere else. Now, let’s talk about that range! Wow, I wish I had one! ;-)

Have a blessed weekend, Julia.

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Lauren February 10, 2012 at 8:38 am

I am charmed by the idea of living in a converted barn, but somehow this one doesn’t do it for me. I feel that somewhere along the way they lost the essential “barness” of their space. The wall paint color choices as well as the rugs and the wallpaper seem off. Where is the sense of space? Where is the barn board? And maybe a sliding barn door or two? I know that a barn doesn’t need to be a Disney version of itself, but this one has too many conventional house choices to work for me. I did love the barn you shared with us a while back that was converted into a guest cottage in Connecticut — charming! Thanks for sharing so many interesting properties with us, Julia. I am hooked on houses and hooked on your blog.

missy February 10, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I SO agree, Lauren. Disappointed in the interior.

Karen February 12, 2012 at 4:11 am

Ditto…the interior design went awry here.

maria February 12, 2012 at 5:01 am

Ditto…. and some criminally bad paint colours. Does anyone else find the ‘hyper real’ outdoor shots a bit… weird and off-putting? That’s not the owner’s fault, I think the estate agent (realtor?) had gone overboard on the HDR photography.

Neesha February 12, 2012 at 9:20 am

I was expecting it to be charming inside too but yes the interior totally threw me off and not in a good way. I wish they left the sense of the barn in the house. There’s no connection.

Richard February 12, 2012 at 12:52 pm

You are right. The interior is too fussy. Painted wood floors would be impossible to keep looking good. This place needs a Karin Blake touch, compare…

Lisa T. February 12, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Yep, I have to agree.

Marianne Loose February 10, 2012 at 8:49 am

This is a gorgeous home! I love using an old building rather than knocking it down! There is color everywhere which I love but am I the only one who thought the ceiling in the kitchen looked low? A beautiful house regardless!

Rick S February 12, 2012 at 7:33 am

I think they make a wonderful house but I was looking for more headroom. many of the spaces including bedrooms had ceilings setting right above the doors and some of the doors are shortened besides. colors can be changed.

Janet February 10, 2012 at 8:49 am

I have blathered on to anyone who would listen lately about how I want to live in a “barn”, I was so excited to see you had a post about barn living this morning.
Loove the kitchen, love the home, but I agree with Laura, they lost the barn aesthetic. I wish the decor were more rustic, but to each their own. Great post though, thanks.
Have a great weekend Julia! ;)

Sarah @ housecrazy February 10, 2012 at 9:03 am

I LOVE the idea of living in a converted space – it’s the ultimate form of recycling! They did a great job with this barn. I featured a train station conversion (into an Inn) on my blog today!

Black Eyed Susans Kitchen February 10, 2012 at 9:22 am

Fantastic structure Julia…what a gem!!

Mandy February 10, 2012 at 9:23 am

I’m with others, the decor doesn’t do much for me. The surrounding property is gorgeous, though!

ShabbyChick February 10, 2012 at 9:49 am

What a fantastic house! While some of the color and furniture choices aren’t my taste, this is still a great find…and close to Penobscot Bay to boot!!!

Amanda February 10, 2012 at 9:53 am

Hey-thanks for this post! I’ll pass it along to my mom :)

Molly @thewaffler February 10, 2012 at 10:01 am

Barn: yes! Wall-to-wallcarpeting in barn: no! It looks like a great space, but some of the decor is just too formal. I would understand if whoever lives there spent all of their money buying the farm (whoops, I didn’t mean it like that) and didn’t have money left over for new furniture, though.

Karena February 10, 2012 at 10:10 am

Wow Julia I love this home! I have driven be so many deserted barns on my way to the Lake of the Ozarks; dreaming of what I could do with them!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Amy@BuffaloRoam February 10, 2012 at 10:29 am

Now this is right up my alley! What a dream!

Carol February 10, 2012 at 10:56 am

Way cool! Those bright colors would be nice in the winter, when the barn is up to its eaves in SNOW.

Wendy February 10, 2012 at 11:17 am

I love barns, and barn houses. But this one looks too much like a suburban house inside for my tastes. From the outside, it’s completely gorgeous. From the inside, not barney enough for me. I don’t think it needs to be rustic or industrial feeling inside, but the can lights and all the sheetrock, especially on the ceilings, make it just like any other house in a subdivision, with a few decorative beams added. I’d like to see more textures and more of a nod to the vintage history.

Spring February 10, 2012 at 11:32 am

They bought an Aga range. I’d buy it just for that. Even faster if it was an Aga cooker. I love all the staircases.

polly dove February 10, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I would change some of those colors but as a whole – I love it! I LOVE open spaces like that in a house!

Amy @ The Button Casa February 10, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I think I’d have paid homage to it’s former life as a barn more than they did. It really looks like a normal house inside. But it’s so very cool.

Kim February 10, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I was so excited to take a look at this barn house, but now that I have seen it, I must say I’m disappointed. The interior just doesn’t match the style of the outside, which is gorgeous. This home is great as a regular home though.

Just like Lauren, I loved that post you did of the barn converted into a guest house. That’s how it’s done right.

NJ Cellulose Insulation Installer February 10, 2012 at 4:08 pm

They really utilized those beams!! I love barns that are converted into homes. They have such a rustic, but unique feel.

E. George February 11, 2012 at 3:11 am

Hi Julia I love the idea of converted barns since watching an English show called A Place In The Country and their barn conversions are beautiful their wall colours are softer and the timber floors and beams really stand out. This one is beautiful it’s just too much colour for me. Love the grounds. Thanks for sharing Regards Esther from Sydney. PS been watching a US show called Beautiful Homes and Great Estates wow some of those Tuscan styles…

Vicki February 11, 2012 at 7:05 am

I love everything about this place! And the stairs kind of remind me of Hogwarts. Love that too!

Dina February 11, 2012 at 9:29 am

I like the exterior, but inside has lost it’s “wabi-sabi” barn appeal and looks like any high ceiling house of the last decade. Granite countertops remind me of the housing boom and I think they will be like the Avacodo Gold of 70′s in the very near future. I’ll pass.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy... February 11, 2012 at 9:59 am

I would decorate a bit more rustic but I love the house/barn.

design elements February 11, 2012 at 11:22 am

beautiful architecture! the interiors are too much for me but it s always a delight to see a barn.

happy weekend to you, Julia

Maria

Jane February 11, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I love how they did a twist on traditional and kept so much light in the house. Some of the decor doesn’t resonate with me but the kitchen is very attractive and in most rooms they resisted the urge to over accessorize, letting the rooms breathe and keeping things from becoming claustrophobic. Some nice choices in paint colors ,too, veering away from neutrals.

Dovecote Decor February 11, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Your blog topic caught my eye. I am longing for a barn house. Take a peak at the post I did of a friend’s barn. Its called The Best Farm Ever part I. It got me started on this quest.
Best,
Liz

hookedonhouses February 11, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Wow! It’s beautiful. Thanks for telling me about it, Liz!

Julie K. February 12, 2012 at 8:48 am

Although i agree that somehow the interior went a little aside from what you would maybe expect from a cozy home in countryside , probably because they did not give the original wood decor a lot of space, i am still amazed by the idea. Using old buildings and facilities that are nearly falling apart can with good ideas and some inspiration turn into one-of-a-kind homes. Who would have guessed what lies inside of this ordinary looking barn!

theSavvySeeker February 13, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I love how airy and light the entire house feels! What a great space! Thanks for sharing

Kadie Kowalewski February 13, 2012 at 5:07 pm

This is so inspiring! My favorite part was the kitchen stove LOVE that old stove!

Lisa Penberthy February 14, 2012 at 8:42 am

Really like this!

cindy8w February 18, 2012 at 7:19 pm

How great! When I married my ex-husband a long time ago, I told him I wanted to convert a barn into a house. Of course, he thought I was crazy, but we did end up building 2 homes that had the openness of what I would have wanted to do with a barn. This one has alot of those elements and more. This is amazing and so fun to see.

Kathryn Griffin March 11, 2012 at 12:02 am

What a great place! So fun to look at. Thank you for sharing. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Ryan @ Barn Homes October 30, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Judging from the outside I wouldn’t have guessed there would be so much color inside the barn house! Looks great though.