Before & After: A Small Bathroom Gets a Big Makeover

old master bath

My poor master bath desperately needs a makeover. I’ve been trying to decide what to do with it since we moved here, so I’m always on the look-out for master-bath inspiration. When Hooked on Houses reader Heidi sent me photos of her bathroom remodel, I was definitely inspired. Hers was small, dark, and outdated, as you can see in the “before” pics.

old sink area

To start with, they took three small rooms and turned them into one large master bathroom. They gained even more space by adding a bay-window area around the tub. Take a look!

new sink area-master bath large

To trim the beadboard wainscoting, Heidi chose these iridescent mosaic tiles (Bizazza tile, from Italy) because they reminded her of sea glass, “which is one of my favorite things in the world.” The lovely wall color, Martha Stewart’s “Atlantic,” was chosen to complement the tiles.

close-up of sink detail and glass tiles

She also chose more contemporary-looking faucets than you might expect in a traditional-looking bath because she wanted to “mix it up a little.” She says she prefers an eclectic look over having everything match.

limestone shower after

The new limestone floor is heated. Heidi says the shower ended up big enough to fit their entire family, plus pets, friends, and neighbors!

new tub area-master bath large

I think they did a beautiful job creating a spa-like bath for themselves. Thanks to Heidi for sharing it with us! You can see the rest of the photos and get more details about the remodel on her blog, Heart and Home. She also has photos of her impressive kitchen makeover here.

Have a room makeover you want to share with us? Send your photos to me here.

Can’t get enough? Check out more of my Before & Afters!

hoarder house before-exterior
Last year, a reader named Cindy sent me a link to a "Bad MLS Listing" in Long Beach, California, that was actually too bad for…
Lake Lanier before-exterior front
A reader named Faith sent me an e-mail about her husband, Steve Guello, who designs, builds, and remodels homes. She says, "He's the most talented…

Oh my gosh that is absolutely stunning! What a dream-come-true bathroom! I love everything about it – especially the sea-glassy tile and the tub. Swoon!
    .-= christy´s last blog ..The witching hour =-.

Great details in this reno! I adore that they have mixed the tile in with the beadboard. Why have I never thought to do this?! So pretty…

.-= Marija´s last blog ..Just do it =-.

Great bathroom! I just came across your blog and I love it. I am a house adict, love houses! I dream that someday “when I’m rich” I can own houses all over the country to enjoy and (since my “getting rich” days don’t seem to be getting any closer :-))
    Thanks for a great post and blog!

4. Kristen says

That is SO gorgeous! I love before and afters. What an amazing transformation!

What a difference…so beautiful!
    If I extended my bathroom into the next room or two or three…I wouldn’t have any bedrooms, how fortunate to have the option!
    The more I think about it, bedrooms are over-rated….:)
    .-= Pat´s last blog ..FRIDAY FAVorite =-.

Thank you so much for sharing this. I love your blog and I love coming here for inspiration. We have three baths that need a redo. Funny how these things sneak up on you. We won’t be able to do all three this year so our master will probably have to wait until next year but I am already starting to collect ideas for where we are going. There were several here that I will add to my file.
    .-= pam @ becolorful´s last blog ..Pillow of the Week #6 = Pink Floral Happiness =-.

7. yayo says

geat makeover.
    Long time reader . I just finished watching the movie Ladies in Lavender. Liked the interior of the cottage& the wonderful garden outside.I immedietly thought of your site. Dont know if u are looking for suggestions from readers. but I thought I would mention the movie name, anyway.Do check it out if u are interested.
    Keep up the good work

Oh my gosh, that is one gorgeous re-do! I love everything about that bathroom and wish it were in my house! Heck, it’s practically the size of my house! LOL They did a beautiful job and incorporated some lovely details. I’m so jealous!! Sigh…
    .-= Cyndi´s last blog ..A New Look =-.

Wow, what a beautiful bathroom remodel, they did a wonderful job! I love the tiles she chose, I love sea glass too! And that tub, right next to the windows…I could hang out there for hours!

Kat :)
    .-= low tide high style´s last blog ..Chalk is Cheap =-.

such a beautiful bathroom, thanks for sharing the pictures! I really love those faucets. Our bathrooms really need a little updating so I am bookmarking this page!
    .-= Anna´s last blog ..New (old) chairs =-.

11. Pinky says

What a beautiful transformation!!! So inspiring! Love ALL the details!

What an amazing transformation! The tiles as trim to the wainscoting was a genius style choice, and really brings something unexpected and just … pretty … to the bathroom even though a man shares the space as well. We are talking and talking about the faucet and fixtures to use in our bathroom once we get going.
    .-= Heather´s last blog ..How To Create The Perfect Shower =-.

13. njh says

does water splace out on the floor much, since you have no doors on the shower? thx

• hookedonhouses says

I’m not sure! I would visit Heidi’s blog and ask her. It looks big enough to avoid that problem, though! -Julia