Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie Lease Chateau Miraval in France

by hookedonhouses on May 30, 2008

Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie French Chateau

It looks like celebrity couple Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt have decided to give birth in France this time around (the twins are due this summer). At the Cannes Film Festival, Jolie told reporters, “We are certainly thinking of France.” According to French newspaper Nice Matin, the dynamic duo just signed a 3-year lease on a $70 million chateau on the French Riviera.

Chateau Miraval-Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie

The pre-Roman estate sits on nearly 1,000 acres in the South of France and is called Chateau Miraval. It has 35 bedrooms and boasts a vineyard, lake, moat, forest, and 20 fountains. There are both indoor and outdoor pools, his-and-hers gyms, and an enormous banquet hall. The driveway alone is three miles long.

Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie French Chateau grounds

They are raising their children (Maddox, 6, Pax, 4, Zahara, 3, and Shiloh, 2) to speak French as a second language. Jolie said at Cannes, “My children are starting to speak French, so being here is very good for them and their language.”

The Daily Mail‘s source said: ‘Last year Brad and Angelina took a helicopter along the Riviera and they were literally landing in people’s gardens of houses that they liked and were running in to ask if their properties were for sale. They found this one the same way a few weeks ago, and told the owner to name his price.’

Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt's rental in France

Chateau Miraval is located in a tiny village called Brignol in the Var. A source close to the deal told Britain’s Daily Mail:

“Last year, Brad and Angelina took a helicopter along the Riviera, and they were literally landing in people’s gardens of houses that they liked and were running in to ask if their properties were for sale,” said the source. “They found this one the same way a few weeks ago.”

celebrity real estate Angelina and Brad Pitt France

The Pitt-Jolies already own multimillion-dollar homes in Cambodia, Berlin, Malibu, New Orleans, and L.A., and rent a $100,000-a-month 5-bedroom suite at the Waldorf. Some have speculated that they were the anonymous bidders behind the modernist Kaufmann House, as I reported last week.

Brad Pitt Angelina Jolie and kids

Photos via Us Magazine, Huffington Post, and NY Post.

UPDATE:

Sassafrass-Brad Pitt Angelina Jolie-Long Island estate

Brad & Angelina Move Into $60 Million Mansion on Long Island

P.S. Visit Celebrity Houses to See More!

Julie May 30, 2008 at 6:27 am

Holy Cow. That’s all I got…………..

Bonnie May 30, 2008 at 8:36 am

I can understand their need for privacy, and at least there are a bunch of kids in this family (soon to be six!), but I’ll never, for the life of me, understand why anyone would need or want a house with 35 bedrooms! The house I spent the first six years of my life in was a two bedroom, plus converted attic that housed my parents, my grandmother and me and six siblings! A few years after we moved to a 5-bedroom house, the eighth sibling was born. I now live in a 4 bedroom house with one other person and we have LOTS of room. Sometimes, I think it would be nice to live in a mansion, but if and only if, I have my whole family AND a couple of maids to live there with me.

courtney @ nesting instincts May 30, 2008 at 9:08 am

Well done, Julia! That place just looks like a dream. I would have to agree with Bonnie, though – 35 bedrooms seems way too much! But when you’re that rich, I guess you can hire a maid for every room if you’d like. For that matter, you could hire friends to come and stay in those rooms. (Although I’m guessing most people would do it for free!) I would have to agree that I love the visual of Brad or Angelina running over to Bono’s house for some sugar. Soundds a lot like my neighborhood, only…well…minus the huge, beautiful houses and gorgeous celebrities.

Kathy :) May 30, 2008 at 9:50 am

WoW how pretty is she???…35 bedrooms bet they fill em all up at the rate they’re going !!!

Just wanted to pop in and tell you to have a nice week-end Julia !!!

Kathy :)

abbreviated May 30, 2008 at 12:54 pm

Those blue shutters sure do pop !

We fly to New Orleans in June. Should I plan to knock on their door ?

I’m right with you on the borrowing sugar.

Although to be frugal I’d just continue to mooch off Allen ;)

mamacita May 30, 2008 at 1:13 pm

Oh my word. $70 million? Can you imagine? It’s like a whole other world these people live in, isn’t it?!

Laura May 30, 2008 at 1:49 pm

I love French houses like this. I lived in France when I was younger and they remind me of that time so much. Of course I did not live in a 35 bedroom estate…more like 3 bedrooms, but still. That region of the country is beautiful too.

Tori May 30, 2008 at 5:24 pm

Ok, so beautiful house right. I just don’t get it. I mean
having two homes isn’t bad if you can afford it. But
owning at least five homes? They cannot have that
much money. Even if they do, its kind of stupid. They
could be saving up for retirement, and stuff for their
kids. What if something happens to them? Are they
going to drop all of their payments, draw out of their
debt, and try to sell one of their over sized homes?
Maybe I am being unrealistic or something, but it just
seems like a whole bunch of debt for them and their
kids.

abbreviated May 30, 2008 at 7:18 pm

Just wanted to add….pre-Roman must mean really really old.

JLB May 30, 2008 at 8:43 pm

Very Impressive! It’s looks like they are going to have their own village.

Jamie

TraceyB May 31, 2008 at 7:51 am

It’s excessive, like a hotel on a resort. I think you can have too much of a good thing.

irishsof June 2, 2008 at 11:53 am

Will 35 bedrooms be enough for all those children?

this is glamorous June 19, 2008 at 5:07 pm

The blue shutters are great — think they are what gives the place that French country charm, despite its enormous size. Really enjoyed reading this post, and thanks so much for your comment yesterday.

leslie July 5, 2008 at 3:58 pm

These movie stars live the life of royalty…it’s unbelievable!

Rich Bitch July 25, 2008 at 7:19 pm

Angelina Jolie is one very lucky woman. Talk about having it all…

careen Warren July 28, 2008 at 4:03 pm

I’d like to hear more about that 100,000 Waldorf suite. I love your site. It’s really fun to browse!

Beck October 9, 2008 at 2:44 am

Ridiculous.

jeff (theanjelinajolie.com) February 2, 2009 at 4:56 am

Very Impressive! It’s looks like they are going to have their own village.

Emily@remodelingthislife February 17, 2009 at 7:42 am

I’d love to write a coherent comment but I can’t see straight from my eyes bugging out of my head.

Kim @ Forever Wherever February 17, 2009 at 9:33 am

You know. I don’t think I could keep up with that lifestyle, but I bet the staff helps. I’ll take a couple for my staff. Maybe just one for ironing! :-)
-Kim

laura @ the shore house February 18, 2009 at 1:41 am

I mean…after 20 bedrooms who really keeps count anymore? :-)

laura @ the shore house’s last blog post..Real friends, real estate, real good times.

laura @ the shore house February 18, 2009 at 1:42 am

And p.s. I think I’m going to suggest to Mike that we build a moat around the shore house, lol.

Jojon March 20, 2009 at 9:27 pm

Octomom should leave her babies here, I guarantee they’re gonna be happy :)

steph April 4, 2009 at 5:21 pm

Isnt that house in new orleans supposed to be haunted? Check out the link above, i think it is number 2 on the list. Creeeepy

Janet May 25, 2009 at 9:19 pm

They have amazing houses, but how does one feel “at home” in any of them? How do they find their way around in all of them? Seriously, they could lose the children in this house! This is far from sour grapes since it’s so totally beyond my imagination and comprehension (and so removed from my lifestyle), but I would think the frustrations and confusion would be overwhelming — so many houses to manage even with a monumental staff. When is it all too much? And I was admiring their attempt at a normal lifestyle in New Orleans. I didn’t know that was just one stop among so many and such excess. I guess I’m kind of disappointed in them. Sorry.

ellen August 24, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Take a look at this house and blog.
.-= ellen´s last blog ..BUZZ =-.

Faith87 March 25, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Although it is a pretty piece of real estate, I’d have to agree with most other people here. That’s a bit too much house, er – mansion, actually…I’ll probably stick with small village, for me.

I understand how they want to keep their kids out of the public eye, but they better keep a good eye on their kids because it seems as if they could easily get lost in that house alone. If not the house, with all surrounding forests, it looks like wild animals could roam outside the walls.

brandy April 19, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Well the New Orleans mansion pictured above was not Angelina and Brad’s. That’s the LaLarie mansion, which was owned by Nicholas Cage prior to auctioning. That is their street though. They live about half a block down, reportedly.

hookedonhouses April 19, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Thanks, Brandy! It’s been so long since I wrote this that I don’t remember how or why I thought that was one of theirs, but you’re right. I think it did belong to Nic Cage. I removed it! -Julia

Makennah May 11, 2010 at 10:49 am

Big enough home!!!! 35 bedrooms!!! You would think they are royal. I love the blue shutters.

Kirra May 28, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Gosh, big enough driveway!!!!! Well I guess if you want privacy then line up the cars and put up the signs!!!!!

{ 6 trackbacks }