Got a major house project looming and feeling overwhelmed? Need to remodel a room and need some inspiration to get going? Then let me introduce you to Jim Madsen, an award-winning professional building designer whose gallery of remodeled rooms includes this beautiful contemporary kitchen. I’m excited to have him as one of my blog’s newest sponsors because he has written a book that I really enjoyed and that I think you’ll find helpful, too.
It’s called 101 Great Building Design Ideas, and it’s filled with just that–one great idea after another in a very easy to read format that is filled with photos of his work. He also has a sense of humor and a conversational writing style, so it’s fun to read.
Some of my favorite sections of the book include:
- How to include a hidden door in your home, such as a bookcase that swings out to reveal another room or private nook (always wanted one of those!)
- Recessing sections of walls in a room to create a family photo gallery (love this idea!)
- Creating a built-in Coffee Center like this one (below):
- Why you should think twice before putting a professional-grade cooktop on an island unless you’re willing to have an updraft hood hanging in the center of the room.
- The type of wood that you shouldn’t use for kitchen cabinets, even though it might look beautiful.
- Why we should bring back the concept of “keeping rooms” in our homes–no TVs allowed.
Visit Jim’s Design Classics website to learn more. You can buy his book as either a hard copy or ebook. He also has an impressive gallery of remodels he has done like the one shown here that’s fun to look through.