A Craftsman-Style Bungalow Makeover in Maine

Craftsman Bungalow Makeover in Maine | hookedonhouses.netLaurel has done it again! We saw her turn a ranch into a 2-story, remodel a charming New Englander, and raise the roof on a Cape Cod. So when she told me she just finished fixing up a bungalow that had been dubbed “The Eyesore” of its neighborhood, I was excited to see how it turned out. Take a look at it now…

Craftsman Bungalow in Maine AFTER Makeover | hookedonhouses.net

Laurel says, “Our goal was to take a bland, nondescript 1920s bungalow and give it some Craftsman style with lots of architectural interest. With a new porch overhang, new siding, new roof, new windows new stair masonry and chimney — there’s not much that hasn’t changed here!”

Craftsman Bungalow Porch AFTER 2

“The front porch started as a catch-all space.”

Craftsman Bungalow Porch BEFORE

“By installing a new front door and swapping the door & window that leads from the porch into the house, we got a very usable, sun-drenched room. Perfect for reading the paper with a cup of coffee in the morning!”

Craftsman Bungalow Porch AFTER

“The whole first floor got a dramatic makeover when we moved the front door and changed the first floor bedroom into a foyer with a new staircase to the second floor. It opened up the entire floor plan and gave us the opportunity to add some beautiful woodwork.”

Craftsman Bungalow Living Room BEFORE

The entire panel under the stairs opens up like a door to reveal a hidden storage space:

Craftsman Bungalow Staircase

Craftsman Bungalow Living Room AFTER

Craftsman Bungalow Living Room Colonades

Craftsman Bungalow Dining Room BEFORE

“The dining room was updated with wainscoting and a plate rail, as well as a custom china cabinet and oak colonnades.”

Craftsman Bungalow Dining Room AFTER

They gave the dining room built-in some Craftsman details to go with the rest of the house.

built in china cabinet in dining room

Craftsman Bungalow Kitchen BEFORE

Laurel says they were excited to discover the original antique maple flooring under the old vinyl floor in the kitchen.

Craftsman Bungalow Kitchen AFTER

Craftsman Bungalow Kitchen AFTER 2

“The breakfast room is next to the garage, so it’s the entryway the homeowner will use the most. We installed a Craftsman mud bench and coat rack, which will be helpful during our snowy Maine winters.”

Craftsman Bungalow Breakfast Room

Laurel says, “The new owner loves it and asked me to autograph the completed house. It made me think back to a Maine cottage we renovated a long time ago. When we stripped the dining room wallpaper, we found that everyone that ever worked on the house had signed and dated it.”

SoPo Cottage Laurel's signature

Thanks to Laurel for sharing her project with us! Hop over to SoPo Cottage to see the bedrooms and baths that got a fresh new look, too. BTW, my weekly newsletter goes out later today, so click here to sign up or fill in the form below. See you there! :)

Julia-simple teal signature

P.S. Check out some of Laurel’s other projects, including…

Cape-Cod-from-the-1940s-in-Maine-BEFORE

A Cape Cod

Blah Brown House Before

Curb Appeal

Laurel's New Englander in Maine BEFORE

Charming New Englander

Restoring a Queen Anne Bungalow Atlanta Houzz BEFORE
Talk about curb appeal -- and needing some. This 1905 bungalow in Atlanta had been neglected for so long that it was dragging the whole…
Chillicothe Cottage Kitchen AFTER (3)
Architect Richard Taylor wrote me about this project he worked on for clients Butch and Marcia, who found this old cottage in Chillicothe, Ohio, and fell in love with its…

Comments

1. Alie B says

Amazing transformation! Laurel is a creative genius! Love the rail work on the new staircase.

2. Stephanie says

I LOVE that front door. It just exudes warmth and home to me. I would love one exactly like that!

3. Bev says

I have never seen an entryway like this before.
    I wish I could be one of those that can envision what something can be. I always get stuck on what it is.

What a beautiful renovation! We’ve been in the midst of one, and after pictures like this remind me it’s worth all the dust, knocked out walls and current inconvenience.

I really like the new staircase, it’s sleek long lines also remind me of Makintosh. What a great way to add character and architectural interest.

5. Aubry T says

Very pretty!

I’m actually impressed with the not-white kitchen. It’s timeless, practical, with gorgeous wood cabinetry, it’s very easy to ‘update’ down the road using just accessories and paint if you ever grow tired of it, very neutral backdrop for pretty much any style. Very cozy! I like the small painting over the stove too!

One thing that is a bit of an eye sore is the microwave cubby, it’s quite a bit bigger than the microwave and exposes the outlet. Is there a purpose for this?

The rest of the house is really nice too, the blend of the white painted wood with natural. Personally I would choose a bit bolder colors for the walls, it’s a bit bland for my tastes….

• says

We don’t see a lot of wood (as in non-white) kitchens these days, for sure. Nice that they were able to work with what was there. Looks like the microwave cubby was there before, too. My guess is that older microwaves it was built to fit were bigger. :-)

Since they were flipping this house, it probably made sense to keep things fairly neutral, color-wise, for the new owners, who can put their own stamp on it.

• Maria says

The reason for the large micro cubby is these are the same cabinets as before, they didn’t replace them. Just added hardware and removed a few.

6. Fiamma says

This is really fabulous. I love that porch area and wish I could do that with my house.

7. Mer says

Wow, wow, wow! I know I’d be spending tons of time on that porch. So perfect.

Julia – thanks so much for sharing our latest project! And to everyone for their wonderful comments. I fell in love with this house, since it gave us a chance to highlight one of my favorite architectural styles with lots of interesting millwork. So glad your readers like it!

Laurel

Wow, I’m impressed how nice everything looks after the renovation. The chandeliers and the huge amount of light in the rooms makes the bungalow look much better than before. Let there be light!

Because their talent is abundant inside would love to know their desires for the landscape.

Obvious they needed to spend money in specific arenas. And they chose well !

But the poor little landscape :( Selfishly I just want to see their amazing talents outside too.

Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

11. Laura says

Excellent job! At first I was a little bit disappointed to see painted siding rather than the natural shingles, but it’s so nicely done it didn’t matter. I love that there is no recessed lighting except for the kitchen (pet peeve) and it’s been very well staged. I’d buy it!

• says

I hadn’t seen that post, Beth — thanks! I love reading novels that feature great houses in them. I’m reading one right now called The Last Anniversary by Liane Moriarty. It’s about a young woman who unexpectedly inherits a wonderful old house on an island in Australia. It’s a good one! :-)

12. Erin says

Wow! Does Laurel ever sleep? Everything she does is amazing! I would love to live in this little cottage!

13. Karen says

This is a lovely, impressive remodel. I love the rail work on the staircase. I also love the non-white kitchen as well. It’s so nice to see wood for a change of pace. I liked the weathered wood as well, but then I’ve always liked that aesthetic. However I can appreciate a new coat of paint. Gosh what’s not to love about this impressive makeover. Thanks for featuring it.

14. Sam says

Wow.
    This is beautiful.
    I must say though, I miss the movie house posts like, Life As We Know It, Knocked Up, The Change up and so on, there seems to be no movies lately with sets like those. Shame.
    Although I always love seeing before and after posts like these as well! So amazing! :)

• says

Did you see my post about Witches of East End house earlier this week? Loved that one! And I featured Patriot Games the week before, which was another good one. Feel like I’ve been doing a lot of Movie Monday posts lately! You can find the links to all of them on my Houses Onscreen page: http://hookedonhouses.net/houses-onscreen/

• Sam says

I did read the Witches of East End post, and totally loved it!
        And I know there are still movie posts from you, but what I meant is that the movie industry/set decorators aren’t producing the beautiful family homes, like those I mentioned earlier, in many movies lately. I absolutely love all your posts on those pottery barn/restoration hardware and other style family houses, with all the comments, extra set photo links and other information you give! It’s great!

• says

Oh, I see what you mean, Sam. Yes, here’s hoping they produce some new ones for us to go to the movies for soon. Thanks! :-)

Gorgeous bungalow, which is beyond words. Incredible makeover with superb craftsman style. Thanks for sharing your pretty bungalow with stunning landscape. This is fabulous. I love that porch area and wish I could do that with my house.Nice post.