Bette Midler’s Sunny Manhattan Penthouse

by hookedonhouses on June 26, 2014

Bette Midler at Home in New York | hookedonhouses.netDid you see Bette Midler’s Fifth Avenue apartment in Architectural Digest? It really wowed me with its sweeping views of Central Park and beautifully landscaped terraces. It even has a sunroom! If you’re going to live in the city, then heck, this is the way to do it…

Bette Midler's Manhattan Penthouse in Architectural Digest

The entertainer lives here with her husband, Martin von Haselberg.

Bette Midler's Apartment Library in AD

I really like her kitchen and would love to see more of it:

Bette Midler's Manhattan Penthouse in Architectural Digest

The sunroom:

Bette Midler's Sunroom

You knew she had to have a fabulous closet and dressing room, right?

Bette Midler's Closet

Bette is an “urban-garden activist,” and I admire her passion for rebuilding community gardens in the city. She founded the New York Restoration Project (NYRP), whose volunteers have planted nearly one million trees. Her love of gardening shows in the beautiful outdoor spaces around her apartment:

Bette Midler's Apartment Terrace in New York AD

Head to AD to see the rest of the photos by William Waldron. BTW, my weekly newsletter goes out later today, so click here if you want to subscribe and be included. That’s how I keep in touch with my favorite readers. :-)

Julia-simple teal signature

Visit Celebrity Houses to see more, including…

Bethenny Frankel's Tribeca Loft Traditional Home cvr

Bethenny Frankel’s New York Loft

{ 37 comments… read them below or add one }

Kim June 26, 2014 at 8:39 am

This is truly beautiful! So many wonderful spaces – looks very cozy :) Thanks for sharing! I now have sunroom envy…

cardinalkay64@sbcglobal.net June 26, 2014 at 9:53 am

Beautiful is right! But I was expecting something more . . . more BETTE! This is very well-designed but very safe + very traditional.

hookedonhouses June 26, 2014 at 9:57 am

It’s more understated than I expected, too!

Jonia June 27, 2014 at 11:14 pm

I thought the exact same thing. However, when I saw the sunroom, I kinda had an uh huh thing happen…a little peek maybe, into more what I would have anticipated. Did you notice those “things” on the top of her closet??? Ancient head armor “things”??

Baileywife @ Irishman Acres June 26, 2014 at 10:20 am

THAT VIEW THOUGH!!! Soooo would like a trip to the “Big Apple” someday. What a far cry from my view of farm fields and woods. (although mine is equally as beautiful!) ~Kim

Zipporah June 26, 2014 at 10:31 am

If I only looked at the picture of her kitchen, I would never have guessed that it was an apartment in Manhattan. The trees and plants outside the kitchen , along with the decor, makes it seem as if it’s a country cottage. Very nice and I agree, surprisingly understated.

anna whiston-donaldson June 26, 2014 at 10:48 am

So light and sophisticated! I love it!

Wendy June 26, 2014 at 12:29 pm

“If you’re going to live in the city, then heck, this is the way to do it… ” Yep. I’d live in that space anywhere.

Jen June 26, 2014 at 12:30 pm

I like this a lot its classic and fresh looking

claudia June 26, 2014 at 1:39 pm

I looked at the extra pics on the AD site and WOW the outside is as amazing as the inside! The only thing that struck me is that her husband has his own bedroom and at first glance, it looked like a teenage boys’ room!! Looks like Bette let her husband decorate his own room – it shows some whimsy with the action figures and colorful bedding; but I’m not loving that encased wall/ unit bed contraption- reminds me of those waterbed platform beds from the 70′s! Is that why they have separate rooms? Hope not!!

Laura June 26, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Bette Midler has always seemed like a great person. I’ve always really admired her work on community gardens in the city too. While the decor is not exactly my taste, who cares??!! That view! Those terraces! WOW!!

Laura June 26, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Actually, the whole NYC garden/apartment topic made me think of Andie MacDowell’s apartment in Green Card so I just went to your post on that to look at it again. Now THAT is my absolute ideal.

hookedonhouses June 26, 2014 at 1:53 pm

One of my favorites! :-)

Jonia June 27, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Mine too! I absolutely love the character, quirk…I mean charm of the place!!!

nanne June 28, 2014 at 4:02 pm

love that movie apartment!!

Mary June 26, 2014 at 2:17 pm

She was born in Hawaii and I think it shows in how she allows nature and outside views the focal point of her home. Absolutely beautiful.

Kathy Sykes June 26, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Oh my goodness – Love Bette Midler and LOVE her apartment. It is so Bette!! I have always loved Bette at all levels – great singer, actress and gal. I so want those book shelves and ladder etc.

Anita G June 26, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Glorious!

I’ve loved Bette since she dropped from the heavens in a clam shell!

That apartment is gorgeous, she has the best of all worlds, a water view and an English garden right outside her windows. Why live anywhere else when NYC is 20 floors below!

Thanks for sharing.

Jean June 26, 2014 at 2:29 pm

That might be my favorite celebrity pad ever. So beautiful.

Alie B June 26, 2014 at 5:17 pm

Isn’t this just the height of elegance? I’m pleasantly surprised. I pictured Bette in something more over-the-top. The view is spectacular as well.

Esther George June 26, 2014 at 8:45 pm

WOW this is so lovely. Would be nice to sit outdoors and take it all in and after enjoying all that view, you walk inside…where I wouldn’t know which room to admire first. Hi Julia thank you for sharing. I always thought Bette Midlers stage persona would be over the top but looking at her home it looks like her personal life is calm and full of beauty. Till next time Regards Esther from Sydney. PS have a great weekend.

Diana June 26, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Wowwwwwww. I really like that sunroom! It’s all so awesomely fabulous! Wow.

Fiamma June 27, 2014 at 7:26 am

Now THIS is how you live in NYC. That kitchen is fantastic.Fia

Aaron@QuinnImagery June 27, 2014 at 9:10 am

I am not a city dweller. At all. However….if I had to live in the city, than this penthouse is ideal, and it wouldn’t be that big of a burden to be in a bustling metropolis with such a space to call home. ;)
If there were no photos of the city views, or mention of it being Manhattan, I would have sworn that it was a house on a piece of land, especially with the photo of the kitchen.

Dinorah June 27, 2014 at 12:55 pm

EXQUISITE.

Kathryn Bechen June 27, 2014 at 5:41 pm

What a stunning NYC home inside and out!

Brandy June 27, 2014 at 9:59 pm

Julia,

A friend sent me the link to this listing. Keep scrolling until you get to the mint bedroom: http://realestate.crescentcityliving.com/idx/photogallery/a100/995311

What?!?

hookedonhouses June 28, 2014 at 8:54 am

Oh, my gosh. That freaked me out a little! Too funny.

Jonia June 28, 2014 at 9:31 am

Motivation for running on that treadmill?? Haha

hookedonhouses June 28, 2014 at 9:37 am

It would motivate me! LOL.

Christina From Dallas June 27, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Wow she has great taste! I thought she might have leopard and zebra print every where.

Screendoorgirl 3 June 28, 2014 at 10:17 am

What a dream! Wow.. those views are spectacular and the terraces are just perfect. Really something… Thanks, Julia!

Jean June 28, 2014 at 3:20 pm

It’s as fabulous as the lady herself. Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer June 29, 2014 at 4:44 pm

Wow this is amazing! The kitchen does not look like it belongs in a New York apartment! That giant window and the double doors look like they’re leading out to a beautiful country garden! Apartment aspiration!!

Aubry T July 1, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Hi, I’m new to your blog, but was hooked instantly. Just wanted to say I’m extremely jealous of Bette’s closet, especially the shoe display. However, the amount of pumps she has, I have cowboy boots, that combined with my army issue boots would make my shoe display in a closet like that funny looking (and would probably end up in your bad MLS photo display LOL). Just add the hubby with the gun and stuffed critters haha!

I still like looking at pretty closets :)

Rosemarie July 2, 2014 at 3:08 pm

OMG, I’ve died and gone to real estate heaven. I LOVE every single thing about this apartment. I love Bette, now I wish I could just be here and live there. lol

Elizabeth Sagarminaga July 3, 2014 at 11:55 pm

What an EXQUISITE. I really like that sunroom! It is so awesomely fabulous! Wow. This is so lovely. That apartment is gorgeous, so light and sophisticated! I love it! Thanks for sharing this.