A Famous Seen-on-TV Mansion & More Houses For Sale

by hookedonhouses on May 9, 2014

American Horror Story Murder House 1120 Westchester For SaleHey, remember the house from the first season of American Horror Story that was so beautiful, it gave you chills? Okay, so maybe it wasn’t just the gorgeous woodwork that made the hair on the back of your neck stand on end (ha). They managed to transform this grand old home into something downright spooky for the TV show, where it was known as “Murder House.”

American Horror Story Murder House 1120 Westchester For Sale (6)

Connie Britton and Dylan McDermott were the haunted homeowners on AHS. In real life, however, it’s known as the 100 year-old Alfred F. Rosenheim estate in L.A., and it’s back on the market for $5m.

American Horror Story Murder House 1120 Westchester For Sale (7)

If it looks familiar to you even though you never watched the spine-tingling FX series, it may be because it’s appeared in so many other movies and TV shows over the years.

The listing with Joe Babajian says, “It’s been prominently displayed in an impressive catalog of films and TV shows such as Old Blue Eyes starring Frank Sinatra in the 1950s, a Halloween-themed episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and 2002’s Spiderman, as well as Law & Order, The Mentalist, Criminal Minds, Grey’s Anatomy, and more.”

American Horror Story cast FX poster

I compared the real house to how it looked on TV in my post about American Horror Story that remains one of the most popular ones I’ve ever written. Clearly, there are a lot of “Murder House” fans out there! :)

orange-line

Rayna's House on the TV Show Nashville For Sale

2. Nashville Mansion For Sale

Coincidentally, another house that actress Connie Britton has lived in on TV is back on the market — the one from her current country-music drama Nashville. Here’s your chance to get a better look at that big brick kitchen her character Rayna cooks in!

Teddy and Rayna in the kitchen on Nashville 2

The listing says, “Private/Gated Estate. European Village-Style Setting. Superior Construction. Adjacent to 2600+ Acre Percy Warner Reserve.” You can see the post I wrote about the sets on Nashville, comparing the real rooms to how it looks on the show when it was on the market the first time around here.

orange-line

Cottage For Sale in Washington | hookedonhouses.net

3. A Waterfront Cottage with “Sweeping Mt. Ranier Views” in Washington

I’d love to live in a community of cottages on the water like this.

Designed by Wenzlau Architects, this house is part of “an intimate 7-home waterfront community” on Puget Sound’s Dyes Inlet developed by The Cottage Company.

Cottage Company Chico Beach community

The listing says, “Custom details and finishes including solid wood floors and paneled ceilings, honed granite counters, vaulted, light-filled spaces, extensive builtins, custom cabinetry and tile.”

orange-line

Canmore Estate Home For Sale in Alberta CA

4. A Mountain Estate in Alberta

The listing says, “Amid snow-tipped mountains & vast forest parkways lies a magnificent 10,000 square foot estate home. Prominently located in the exclusive gated community of ‘The Cairns on the Bow’ is this Architectural Digest showpiece. Features include great hall with towering totem poles, hidden staircase leading to the stone wine grotto, and two-story library.”

Canmore Estate in Alberta stone fireplace in kitchen

It features one of the biggest kitchen fireplaces I think I’ve ever seen. But the bearskin rug (with head attached) would have to go before I moved in…

orange-line

Ron Howard's Conyers Farm Estate For Sale

5. Ron Howard’s Lakefront Home in Greenwich

The listing says, “Beautiful Conyers Farms is where Academy Award-winning producer and director Ron Howard and his wife chose to raise their family. Their private country estate on 32 acres includes a shingle-style main house, a charming Craftsman style guest house, an indoor sports complex, observatory silo with Meade telescope, barns, paddocks, greenhouse plus formal rose, boxwood and organic gardens.”

The indoor pool is, just, wow:

Ron Howard's Conyers Farm Estate For Sale Pool

Thanks to the readers who told me about these listings! Do you have a favorite?

orange-line

Happy Friday, Friends! Hope you had a good week. I’m just SO happy it’s May and the weather has finally warmed up.

Spring is always a challenge with my dog Maizie, though, because she’s terrified of storms. She even freaks out if she hears rain on TV. If you’ve figured out a way to calm your pets during rough weather, I’d love to hear it!

Maizie the Scaredy Pup

Monday I’m kicking off a whole week of “Before & Afters.” If you want to make sure you don’t miss anything, sign up for my weekly newsletter, which always includes a few extras I don’t post on the blog — including giveaways (next week one of my subscribers will win a $50 Target gift card — woohoo!).

Enjoy your Mother’s Day Weekend! xo

Julia-simple teal signature

{ 25 comments… read them below or add one }

Sherry May 9, 2014 at 7:44 am

Have you tried the Thundershirt for Maizie? Some people swear by them for calming their doggies.

hookedonhouses May 9, 2014 at 7:53 am

Thanks, Sherry. She does have a Thundershirt but it doesn’t seem to make much difference. I had such high hopes for it, too! It’s strange because she’s normally a very calm and laid-back dog, but there’s something about storms that make her go nuts. :(

Mark May 9, 2014 at 9:55 am

Julia,

ALWAYS, ALWAYS love you blog and STILL visit multiple times a day.

I do now owe you a big “THANK-YOU”. With Mother’s day fast approaching, I have decided instead of giving a gift to my wife, I will simply give her the money I would have spent, …she can then ADD to it… and purchase Ron Howards’ Lakefront home you just featured for ME for Father’s Day!!! Thank you SO much for the mother’s day gift idea.!!!!
Not only can I be done with my Mother’s Day task, I can now look forward to a WONDERFUL Fathers day gift from my wife!!!! Watch her try to say that she is a better gift giver than I…umph!! ha! ( absolutely LOVED that house!!! I have seen so many…but I would take that one in a heartbeat!!!)

Tell you what too, when I get my card, and my tie and my NEW HOUSE on June 15th, I will invite you and your family over as an additional “thank-you” for you inspiration, and we can all celebrate Father’s Day together??!!! :)

Seriously, You do a great job with the blog…Love reading it and try to share it with as many “house people” as I can.

Have a Happy Mother’s day Julia!!
Mark

hookedonhouses May 9, 2014 at 10:01 am

Ha! Love it, Mark! You’ll get the Best Husband of the Year Award for that. And then the Best Reader of the Year Award from me for inviting us over to your new place! Can’t wait to get the tour. Marking my calendar now…

Always great to hear from you. Thanks for being such a great encourager and supporter of my blog!! :)

Laura May 9, 2014 at 10:31 am

Ron Howard’s house, please! Not only is it a beautiful house, but it has an observatory!! How cool. I did not realize before now that an observatory should be on my “must have” list. I think we should tell the couples on House Hunters to cross any property off the list immediately if it’s lacking an observatory. It’s the new granite countertops.
Anyway, Greenwich is pretty hoity toity, but I think I could stand it, what with the proximity to Long Island Sound, the easy train ride to NYC, and, of course, that pool. Wowza!

hookedonhouses May 9, 2014 at 10:47 am

Love that, Laura! If any of my readers gets on “House Hunters,” promise us you’ll look into the camera and list “an observatory” as one of your must-haves. Ha!

Erin May 9, 2014 at 11:20 am

I love the little waterfront cottage! I think it could be so cozy and cute!

hookedonhouses May 9, 2014 at 11:24 am

Me, too, Erin! I love that they created an entire neighborhood of little houses like that.

The Cottage Company May 9, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Good day! Thanks for the kind words about our Chico Beach Cottages community and ‘Crystal Cove’ cottage for sale! The views of Mt. Rainier are AWESOME! Contact us and we’d love to give you a personal tour!

Connie in Hartwood May 9, 2014 at 12:48 pm

I love coming over here to peep in on awesome houses for sale! Thanks for keeping up with this for us.

When we got our greyhound Emma years ago, she was terrified of thunderstorms. At the advice of a trainer, we started turning thunderstorms into playtime. We played and danced and had a lot of fun, and we used freeze-dried liver treats … important that the only time time Emma got these treats was when she was playing during a storm. The idea is to substitute something that she looked forward to in place of something scary. Whatever you do, don’t give Maisie extra attention or try to reassure her if she’s scared, because that’s reinforcing the exact behavior that you’re trying to change. Play ball, tug of war, tag, or whatever Maisie thinks is fun. For us, it only took a few weeks for Emma to stop hiding during storms and we gradually withdrew the treats and extra games and life was just normal. I hope you can do the same with Maisie.

hookedonhouses May 9, 2014 at 2:15 pm

I had never thought to handle it that way. Great advice! Makes sense that having me fuss over her during a storm might reinforce her anxiety now. I’ll try that — thanks, Connie!!

karen May 9, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Here’s a great article by Patricia McConnell. She also has her own website with a lot of great info.

hookedonhouses May 9, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Thanks, Karen. I have the most helpful readers!!

Empress Lockness May 9, 2014 at 1:37 pm

It would be very difficult for me to stay in the American Horror Story house.

hookedonhouses May 9, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Yeah, that season of the show freaked me out pretty bad. I’m not sure I could, either!

jep May 9, 2014 at 4:11 pm

The Chico Beach Cottage for me…great location, simply beautiful inside.
Good luck with Maizie, hope the suggestions others have given work.

Carolyn May 10, 2014 at 9:12 am

Lots of wows here. Ron Howard’s compound was amazing. I think there was a stone potting shed or something I could probably live in. I’m guessing he built the house, et al? Though in a traditional Shingle style, it looks newish, albeit well-crafted. Opie done good! Fortunately, I’ve never watched that horror TV show, or any others filmed in the Rosenheim estate that I know of (I’m not much of a TV watcher), so I don’t have any prejudicial associations. All I can see is the gorgeous woodwork, wonderful old tile, and all that Tiffany stained glass and light fixtures – that library/study (?) with those doors takes my breath away. But when it comes down to it, I’m a cottage person.

ilise May 10, 2014 at 10:54 am

Ive actually toured the Chico beach cottage as well as many other cottage company properties since I live in the area and I love love love their work. Beautiful and so unique inside and out. I wish more home builders would put as much thought into their design as the cottage company.

hookedonhouses May 10, 2014 at 11:16 am

How fun that you got to see it in person. I’d love to tour the neighborhood myself someday!

Alie B May 10, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Happy Mother’s Day to everyone! :)
Julia, you’re not missing much by not watching more of American Horror Story. I really liked the first season. I loved the house and I found the storyline good and scary. The other seasons were more creepy and gory, in my opinion. I also found it odd that several actors remained on the show, but as different characters.
I don’t much care for the “Nashville” house, but I do enjoy the show.
The Washington beach cottage is adorable, and seems like it would be perfect for retirees.
Ron Howards place is incredible! It has twice the number of rooms as my place! Very elegant and has a sort of established feeling about it. It’s not quite what I would have pictured him living in….more serious somehow. You’re right about the pool room (if it can be accurately referred to as a room). Absolutely beautiful! This would be a great movie house.
Hope your little doggie manages ok with the storms. We haven’t yet gotten the downpour they were calling for. It’s beautiful here today; balmy, breezy and humid.

myosotis May 10, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Even though my taste in homes leans more towards small, cozy and simple, I must admit that is one beautiful home. Now, that enclosed pool is to die for.

Julie B. [Holland] May 11, 2014 at 9:13 am

Ron Howards home wow!

Stephanie May 16, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Hi Julia,

My dog also has severe anxiety during storms! He’s a Vet and gives her Valium!
Talk to your Vet, it helps so much!

hookedonhouses May 16, 2014 at 8:40 pm

That’s funny you mentioned that, Stephanie. I just took her to the vet today about it. She said that “storm anxiety” tends to get worse as they get older, which could explain why it seems worse this year. I think we’re going to give the meds a try. I feel so sorry for her when she gets worked up like that! :-(

Stephanie May 16, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Sorry for the typo it should have said my husband
Is a vet! :) yes, our dog is 15.5 yrs old and as she
Has aged me hsve seen a increase. Fireworks, storms
And when my husband yells at the football on tv! :( poor baby!