Singer Linda Ronstadt’s Pink House For Sale in Arizona

by hookedonhouses on May 8, 2014

Linda Ronstadt's Mediterranean-Style Home in Tucson

Singer Linda Ronstadt, who was recently inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, is selling her charming 1929 Mediterranean-style home in Tucson. It was designed by the architect Roy Place with a clay-tile roof and balconies overlooking the Catalina Mountains.

The exterior of the house is the same pink as the Benedictine Monastery in Tucson: “Linda loved that color and that church. We would go with our grandmother to pray at the monastery’s chapel as young girls,” her sister Suzy O’Brien says.

You can get a better idea of the color from this photo taken by Robert Reck for an article about it in Architectural Digest:

Linda Ronstadt's pink house in Architectural Digest 04

Ronstadt, who is a Tucson native, bought the house in 1994 and lived here with her two children. She now has Parkinson’ Disease, and is sadly no longer able to sing. She has retired to San Francisco near her family.

Linda Ronstadt's House in Arizona For Sale (18)

Linda Ronstadt's House in Arizona For Sale (12)

Her sister told the Arizona Daily Star “Now with her illness, she cannot keep up with two houses. I know she is going to miss this house. She thinks of how beautiful the sunlight is when it comes in through the windows in the morning.”

Linda Ronstadt's House in Arizona For Sale (19)

Linda Ronstadt's House in Arizona For Sale (2)

I’m always happy when I see kitchens in older houses that weren’t updated so much that they no longer look like they belong in them, and this green one fits the bill:

Linda Ronstadt's House in Arizona For Sale (9)

Linda Ronstadt's House in Arizona For Sale (10)

“The iron hardware in the house is original, including the doorknobs and latches. The style of the house represents the late 1920s period with the use of tile, pink plaster, wrought-iron touches, arched doors and windows,” her sister says.

Linda Ronstadt's House in Arizona For Sale (21)

Linda Ronstadt's House in Arizona For Sale (22)

Linda Ronstadt's House in Arizona For Sale (24)

I love that this pink bathroom wasn’t gutted along the way and still has its original 1920s charm:

Linda Ronstadt's House in Arizona For Sale (16)

Linda Ronstadt's House in Arizona For Sale (7)

The gardens on the property feature roses, bougainvillea, citrus and palo verde trees. The sweet little white playhouse belonged to her daughter:

Linda Ronstadt's House in Arizona For Sale (20)

Linda Ronstadt's House in Arizona For Sale (13)

Want it? For more photos and information, check the listing with Christine and Russell Long at Long Realty, as well as the articles in the Arizona Daily Star and Architectural Digest.

Linda Ronstadt's House in Arizona For Sale (1)

To get my posts delivered each week to your inbox, click here to give me your email. I’m hosting giveaways for my subscribers all month, and today one lucky reader’s getting a $25 Amazon Gift Card. Check the newsletter to see if it’s you! :-)

Julia-simple teal signature

Visit my Celebrity Real Estate page to see more, including…

Cary Grant's former home in Palm SpringsMy Boyfriend Cary’s Former Home in Palm Springs

{ 40 comments… read them below or add one }

Kay May 8, 2014 at 7:25 am

Okay. Here’s the thing.
I’ve never been a fan of pink, nor has anything pink ever hung in my closet.
But my head’s been turned by all this pale pink you’re seeing everywhere.
Linda R’s bathroom is beyond gorgeous, + yes, I agree — so glad it wasn’t gutted!

hookedonhouses May 8, 2014 at 7:28 am

Hi Kay! I’m not a big “pink person” in general, either, but there’s something about a vintage pink bathroom like this that gets me every time (maybe because I had one growing up, come to think of it!). I also love that she had her house painted to match the church she grew up in. Have a great Thursday!

Brandy May 8, 2014 at 2:56 pm

The bathroom looks to be a very special shade of pink called Mamie Pink. It was inspired by Mamie Eisenhower, who supposedly re-did part of the White House with it.

hookedonhouses May 8, 2014 at 2:58 pm

I hadn’t thought of that, but I bet you’re right. Thanks, Brandy!

Brandy May 8, 2014 at 3:03 pm

No, thank you, Julia. Best blog ever!

Brandy May 8, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Save the Pink Bathroom has way more info:

hookedonhouses May 8, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Great link — thanks, Brandy. You’re always so helpful!

Brandy May 8, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Aw, thanks! :-)

Karen May 8, 2014 at 8:50 am

Awww, I didn’t know that Linda Ronstadt has Parkinson’s ;-(
I love her home in Arizona. I keep telling my husband that I think AZ would be a great place to live after we retire in about seventeen years! I think the dry heat might help my sore knees. Now, if I could only come up with the million plus to buy that gorgeous home!

Happy Mother Day to you Julia ;-)

hookedonhouses May 8, 2014 at 8:57 am

Thanks, Karen! We’re planning to have brunch on Sunday with my mom and the rest of the family. Kind of sad my son won’t be home from college for it, though. Miss that kid!

P.S. I always think about Arizona when my Spring allergies kick in. Would be nice to enjoy May without the sniffles! :)

Karen May 8, 2014 at 9:16 am

I hope your son will be home before too long, for summer vacation!

My son is taking finals this week, so he will me home for Mothers Day, Yay!

hookedonhouses May 8, 2014 at 9:24 am

That’s nice that you’ll be together for it! Jake only has a few weeks left until summer break. His freshman year flew by fast!

Carrie S G May 8, 2014 at 9:56 am

Spanish style homes are not really my taste – but this one is really nicely done and I could picture wandering around in my bare feet. And I’d take that sunporch and slap it on the side of my own home any day!

Laura May 8, 2014 at 10:12 am

Julia, I love all the same things about this house that you do. I totally agree about ;the kitchen and bathrooms. This house is definitely move-in ready for me – love it.

Teresa May 8, 2014 at 10:55 am

You don’t find many beautiful old homes like these anymore. They have all been gutted,over-modernized and stripped of their original vintage charm. Its great that Ms. Ronstadt left so much of the original 1920′s fixtures in this home intact. Hopefully, the new owners will do the same. I know all of your readers wish her all the best and a Happy Mothers Day as well.

Fiamma May 8, 2014 at 12:21 pm

She did a beautiful job and I am sure it pains her to leave such a place. I hope her memories there ease some of that for her. That pink bathroom is simply darling!

Alie B May 8, 2014 at 12:47 pm

This is so pretty and feminine! Amazing that this home, probably largely unchanged since the 20′s, doesn’t seem the least bit outdated. I guess good design just imparts a sort of timelessness (is this a word?) that works in any era. The sunroom, with its white wicker, reminds me of the sunroom in “Driving Miss Daisy”.
So sad that Linda Ronstadt is unwell and must leave this gem behind. Hopefully the home’s new owner will preserve and love it the way Linda obviously has done.

hookedonhouses May 8, 2014 at 1:35 pm

I hadn’t thought of that, but I loved that sunroom in “Driving Miss Daisy,” too!

Anita G May 8, 2014 at 1:32 pm

So sad that Linda has to give up this home. It certainly is beautiful, and yes, the kitchen and bathroom pictured are wonderful. I hope someone shows the home as much love as it deserves when they buy it. Thanks for sharing, Julia!

LalaGigi May 8, 2014 at 2:54 pm

This is stunning. Just the right amount of restraint was used in the updating of the home. Not too modernized – not too quaint.

Christiina from Dallas May 8, 2014 at 3:51 pm

I didn’t know she was selling her house. Glad we are able to peek inside now since it’s for sale. It is so cute and charming. Not overdone at all and not too decorated.
I have always loved her music and I even sent her a fan letter when I was a little girl. I feel so bad for her that her wonderful gift that she gave to the world, her singing voice, can no longer be used.

hookedonhouses May 8, 2014 at 4:02 pm

How fun that you sent her a fan letter years ago, Christina. It really doesn’t seem fair that someone with such a beautiful voice can no longer use it. A reminder for all of us to use the gifts we have while we can, I guess, just as she did!

Carolyn May 8, 2014 at 7:58 pm

What a fabulous house! Love that so many of the original features are intact and in good condition. That bathroom is amazing. It reminds me of one featured in the May issue of “House Beautiful” that was a 1930′s Spanish Revival style – but in Beverly Hills, California, that was also pink and black. Another “House Beautiful” recent feature was of an expanded bath done in Deco style black and white, but with features very similar to what is shown here – also in a California Spanish Revival. Loving these retro bathrooms!

hookedonhouses May 9, 2014 at 6:36 am

I haven’t seen the May issue of HB yet, so I’ll have to check it out today. I love a retro bathroom like that, too. Thanks, Carolyn!

Esther George May 8, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Hi Julia I love Spanish style architecture, it’s funny that’s how I found your blog I looked up Spanish Style Landscaping and to my delight there you were (my lucky day). It is such a pretty home inside and out. The kitchen is beautiful and I love the colours. I find that my taste in colour has changed I’m still not adventurous with wall colours but I like splashes of colour and right now I’m into Orange, Red and Pink. Thank you for sharing. Till next time Regards Esther from Sydney. PS have a wonderful weekend.

hookedonhouses May 9, 2014 at 6:35 am

Hi Esther! I love that you remember what you were searching for when you first found my blog. You’ve been a reader for a long time, and I’m glad you found your way here. Happy weekend! :)

Brenda May 8, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Thank you Julia for this posting. I love Linda Ronstadt. Her home is very soothing, which I normally would not associate with the colour pink. But somehow it works in this wonderful house.

Enjoy your Mothers Day.

hookedonhouses May 9, 2014 at 6:34 am

Thanks, Brenda!

Nita May 8, 2014 at 9:01 pm

I hate seeing the rockers get old. She used to perform nearby in West Covina, CA, shoeless, of course. I didn’t know she had kids!

Erin May 8, 2014 at 10:09 pm

This is my dream house! I live in AZ and that kind of yard, with the grass and mature landscaping, is just as much part of the dream! I too am so happy to see the original pink bathroom and the kitchen that isn’t filled with granite and stainless. I am just as in love with that blue tiled shower with the arched ceiling and the laundry room with its green cabinets and backyard views. The master closet with built-ins that look original…SWOON! Thanks for sharing! I’m sure it makes her sad to part with it, and I hope the new owners will maintain its original features just as lovingly!

hookedonhouses May 9, 2014 at 6:33 am

I hope the new owners don’t change too much, too! One of us clearly needs to buy it just to make sure. :)

Amanda Shaub May 8, 2014 at 11:07 pm

I was born in Tucson and even went to Catalina High School-same as Linda! Her house is pure Tucson. Wish I could buy it!

hookedonhouses May 9, 2014 at 6:32 am

Did you really? How cool, Amanda!

tammyCA May 9, 2014 at 1:57 am

Sad to hear of her illness & not singing anymore. It’s a beautiful, timeless house..and I do love pink. I hope the next owners respect and preserve it, too..hopefully they’ll be fans of hers & will.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com May 9, 2014 at 2:06 pm

What a great place. I love the playhouse.

Sue May 9, 2014 at 2:16 pm

I have a soft spot for this kind of house. Loved seeing the pink bathroom and like you say it looks untouched since the 1920s.

Kathryn May 10, 2014 at 5:14 pm

What a lovely and soothing home; I had no idea she lived in Tucson, or had Parkinson’s Disease. May her life be healed and blessed. Thanks for sharing the beautiful home Julia.

Rebecca May 11, 2014 at 12:05 pm

I this home!

jen May 12, 2014 at 3:16 pm

okay pink is my favourtie color but when i think pink houses i always picture barbie doll but this changed that

Elizabeth Sagarminaga May 13, 2014 at 3:59 am

Great place. I love the playhouse. Lovely and soothing home you have shared. I am so happy to see the original pink bathroom and the kitchen. Good share.