Mary Ann’s Beach Bungalow Makeover in BH&G

by hookedonhouses on May 5, 2014

Blogger Mary Ann Pickett's House Featured in BHG

When a mag like Better Homes & Gardens hits my mailbox and I see that one of my blog friends has been featured, I get all kinds of excited. You may remember when I showed you Mary Ann’s kitchen makeover a few years ago. Now it and the rest of her made-over “Beachy Bungalow” in California are in the May issue.

Mary Ann's Classic Casual Home in BHG 7

Her kitchen has come a long way since those mellow yellow days, that’s for sure. The photo of Mary Ann above is from the magazine. Have you ever noticed how they always have homeowners handling fruits and vegetables in these shots? If I’m ever in one, I’m going to see if I can sneak in a bags of chips and a box of Ho-Hos to mix things up. ;-)

Here are a couple of the kitchen photos she shared with us when I featured it in 2011:

Classic Casual Home Mary Ann's kitchen 2

This is what the other side of the room looked like before…

Classic Casual Home Mary Ann's kitchen BEFORE 2

And here it is now, with a seating area by the window:

Classic Casual Home Mary Ann's kitchen 4

Quite a transformation! (If you want more details about her new kitchen, here’s my original post.)

Classic Casual Home Mary Ann's kitchen

The magazine also featured other rooms in her house, including the dining room and living room.

Mary Ann's Classic Casual Home in BHG 5

Congratulations to Mary Ann on the feature! Visit her lovely blog Classic Casual Home to see more of her home, as well as the 1920s apartment they’re living in at the moment in San Francisco. Pick up the May issue of Better Homes & Gardens to read the article by Paige Porter Fischer and see all the photos by Edmund Barr.

Mary Ann's Classic Casual Home in BHG 5-14 2

Hope you had a nice weekend! We celebrated both my daughter’s birthday (I posted pics on Instagram) and my dad’s, which was fun. BTW, I’m giving away a $25 Amazon Gift Card to one of my newsletter subscribers this week, just to say thanks for being one of my regular readers. If you haven’t signed up yet, click here to give me your email and you’ll be automatically entered to win. Thanks! :-)

Julia-simple teal signature

Visit my Before & Afters page to see more of my favorites, including…

Rie's Home & Harmony farmhouse kitchen before

Rie’s Kitchen Makeover

{ 32 comments… read them below or add one }

Ms. MeMe May 5, 2014 at 9:07 am

Maybe I’m nuts, but I liked the yellow. It’s still gorgeous, of course, but I feel happier with more color.

hookedonhouses May 5, 2014 at 10:21 am

You’re not nuts for liking yellow. Everyone has their own preferences! It just probably wouldn’t have worked very well with the grays in her new kitchen.

NikNak May 5, 2014 at 11:44 am

I liked the yellow too.I know gray is the current trend, but it’s too sterile for me. I would consider those tile floors for my bathroom though. I don’t mind the sterile look for the bathroom, hehe.

I think the kitchen is really well done.

jep May 5, 2014 at 9:22 am

Generally I am not a fan of white kitchens, but this one is so welcoming and homey feeling. They did a great job on their house and kudos for getting it featured in Better Homes and Gardens magazine (but look who saw the great remodel first, you Julia!). I had to laugh at your comment about the “chips and Ho-Hos.”

hookedonhouses May 5, 2014 at 10:16 am

Yeah, I’d have to keep it real. Although I have to say our lettuce is coming up nicely in the garden this year, so maybe I can include some of it in my Fantasy Photo Shoot, too. Ha. :)

Laura May 5, 2014 at 10:12 am

The new finishes are lovely, but I’d need to add a little color to that kitchen. I actually liked the yellow walls in the before as well. Those hanging cabinets were just bizarre, though! I liked your idea of being photographed arranging Ho-Hos on a plate, or pouring a bowl of potato chips (or just having your arm in the bag!) Hilarious!

hookedonhouses May 5, 2014 at 10:23 am

Love the image of my arm halfway inside a big bag of chips! Or maybe they could capture a candid of me eating ice cream right out of the carton, which would be an equally realistic scene from my kitchen some days. ;-)

dak May 7, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Haha, I can just picture it. Also eating it standing over the sink, not even bothering to sit down (or worse still, in front of the still-open freezer door). So elegant. [Not that I would do any of things, of course. Right?]

hookedonhouses May 8, 2014 at 6:10 am

Yes, as a mom I have definitely eaten standing up a few times in my life! Ha.

Alie B May 5, 2014 at 11:15 am

Beautiful kitchen! I didn’t think the yellow was terrible either, but this layout is much more functional. What we can see of the rest of the house looks pretty fabulous as well. I love the elegance and tradition of the older furniture pieces. Seems like a really comfortable home to live in.
I too, enjoyed the vision of you indulging in some junk food, Julia. Too funny! :)
Happy Birthday to Lillie and your dad! Hope your birthday celebrations were less stressful than my daughter’s birthday sleep-over this weekend. We totally underestimated the noise, mess and general chaos that seven nine year olds can wreak on a household! I have a renewed respect for elementary teachers! Coming into work this morning was like going on vacation in comparison! ha!

hookedonhouses May 5, 2014 at 11:30 am

Oh, yes, we survived a sleepover this weekend, too, so I know what you mean, Alie. Lots of squealy, girly fun. By the time they left, I needed a nap. Ha. I always say the same thing about elementary-school teachers. Every time I’ve volunteered to help out for a couple hours in the classroom, I’ve come home exhausted. I don’t know how they do it every day!

Kay May 5, 2014 at 11:22 am

SO.
I loved everything, + those stool slipcovers had me telling myself, “You could make those!” — followed quickly by, “Oh, but it looks too hard!”
Nobody loves the comic photograph more than I do, so kudos!
Same thing with HGTV — the homeowners are always chopping something.

hookedonhouses May 5, 2014 at 11:28 am

Yes! Like on “House Hunters” when they visit the couple at home, they’re chop-chop-chopping enough vegetables to feed an army. Ha.

Alie B May 5, 2014 at 12:48 pm

You’re so right, Kay and Julia! It would be so much more realistic to see them putting nacho chips and salsa or pita and hummus out on the island!

Sue May 5, 2014 at 1:57 pm

How fun to be featured on BHG magazine or any home magazine I do love the kitchen makeover and pinned the dining room because I like the table and chairs so much. I read about a blogger who posted a photo of her home on Facebook and a magazine saw it and contacted her for permission to feature it.

hookedonhouses May 5, 2014 at 2:00 pm

It does seem like they’re discovering more and more of the houses they feature from people who have posted photos of theirs online, doesn’t it? I love seeing some of my favorite bloggers getting attention from magazines like this! :)

Kim May 5, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Gorgeous kitchen! I love the natural light that flows in. It makes the kitchen look brighter. I also love that huge island. I would love to have that much counter space to prepare stuff on.

classic • casual • home May 5, 2014 at 3:43 pm

I love you, Julia…you definitely spotted us first!!

What you don’t know about that old yellow kitchen was that it reeked of dog urine (previous owners little old dog) and cigarettes and the ceiling was low even though there was no second story above it….and the cabinets were chipped and falling off their hinges. Yeah…I was told to get chopping for the photo–but that felt pretty real to me (like an EVERY day occurrence). But you are right…bags of chips and cookies would have been even MORE real. We really did all have lunch on the patio together (kids and photo crew). It was such a fun day! Thanks so much, Julia. I’m still on Cloud 9!

hookedonhouses May 5, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Oh, my. Didn’t know it was that bad before, Mary Ann! Yikes. So it smells a lot better now, too, I imagine? Ha.

So happy you got such a major feature in the mag and that the article turned out so beautifully — congrats!! :-)

dak May 7, 2014 at 10:51 pm

“… dog urine … and cigarettes…”

Seems yellow was actually a fitting colour for this room…

hookedonhouses May 8, 2014 at 6:10 am

Yeah, I can see why it might there might be unpleasant memories attached to the yellow. Ha.

claudia May 5, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Really loved Mary Ann’s kitchen!! I took a peek at her 1920′s San Francisco apartment on her blog, and WOW! Everything is so fresh and classic like her Lido home. And the views!!! I love the way she combines patterns and textures in soft soothing colors in an elegant way. That view out of her kitchen window is fantastic!!

hookedonhouses May 5, 2014 at 4:39 pm

I know, right? I’m so glad you saw her apartment, too, Claudia. Love her style!

Teresa May 5, 2014 at 5:01 pm

I just finished reading May’s issue of BHG, and the first thing that caught my eye in the beach makeover house was the gorgeous black wood frame chairs in the living room. While I love grey and white together, it can come off as cold and sterile at times if there isn’t some statement piece with a pop of color.

Kathryn May 5, 2014 at 7:42 pm

What a lovely home!

Bernie May 5, 2014 at 8:08 pm

I’m also a yellow fan, and cannot bring myself to jump on the gray bandwagon. Having said that, I do like the fresh new feeling and counters of the new kitchen. Not a fan of the old or the new kitchen floors, but like the wood in the adjoining family area. Great light fixtures!!

Bumbles May 6, 2014 at 12:21 am

Just a beautiful job. Well done!

Gabrielle May 6, 2014 at 5:52 am

Oh, I *love* this place! Love all the white, airy spaces. I saw it in BH&G (thank God for Zinio–I can’t get the US version of BH&G in Australia “for real”) and I loved reading your original post and discovering Mary Ann’s blog. More sighing over houses is definitely on the agenda.

Esther George May 6, 2014 at 6:08 am

Hi Julia, I love the dinning room, the kitchen could use a bit of colour and some junk food would be nice. It’s funny now that the weather is cooling down over here (he coldest start to May in 60 years) somehow junk food is looking very appealing right now. Thank you for sharing. Happy Birthday to your Dad and Lillie. The Instagram photographs are lovely. Regards Esther from Sydney.

JithinC May 8, 2014 at 6:13 am

The table looks like an all in one package.. looks cool

Cheryl in Wisconsin May 8, 2014 at 9:03 am

What a lovely home.
Your comment about the featured-food-on-counter cracks me up. Perhaps we can get some chips or ho-hos photographed, but only if they’re artfully staged in beautiful containers.

hookedonhouses May 8, 2014 at 9:07 am

You’re right, Cheryl — they would all need to be transferred into a lovely vintage glass jar or something. Ha.