Billy Joel’s Beach House on the Market & More Links I Like

by hookedonhouses on April 4, 2014

Billy Joel's Hamptons Beach House For Sale

1. The Piano Man Selling His Oceanfront Estate in Sagaponack

One of the first celebrity listings I blogged about was Billy Joel’s beach house in the Hamptons. When it didn’t sell for $18.75 million, he and his then-wife Katie Lee hired Nate Berkus to give it a makeover. But still, no takers.

Well, it just went back on the MLS again, this time for $22.9 million. Want it?  (Don’t tell Nate, but I kinda liked the more casual beach-house vibe of some of the rooms before…)

BTW, remember when we got a tour of his West Village Townhouse (also decorated by Nate) on Oprah?

Billy Joel's West Village Townhouse Nate Berkus

orange-line

104 year old Victorian mansion rescued in Ruskin

2. Rescuing an Historic Mansion — by Barge

orange-line

Awesome Eighties house in Arizona 1

3. Fun Listing of the Week: A Return to the Awesome ’80s

Grab your favorite leg warmers and check out this “Like, Totally Radical Portal to the ’80s” in Scottsdale. (Keep an eye out for the “high-heeled shoe chair” in one of the bedrooms!)

orange-line

Doris Day's 90th birthday

4. Happy Birthday, Doris Day!

I grew up loving Doris Day movies, so when I started blogging, I couldn’t resist featuring the sets from a couple of my favorites — Please Don’t Eat the Daisies (based on a true story about a fixer upper in the country) and Pillow Talk (in which she gives Rock Hudson’s apartment a hilarious “revenge makeover”). If you’re a fan, too, you can sign her online birthday card at her Doris Day Animal Foundation website.

orange-line

Cast-of-Parenthood-on-TV-NBC

5. Which Braverman Are You?

Do you watch the TV show ParenthoodTake the fun quiz on BuzzFeed to find out which Braverman you are most like. I was hoping for Lorelei, myself (er, Sarah) but turned out to be more like her son Drew: “You have a silent but strong presence and people really respect you for it. You also have a sensitive side and are always thinking about other people’s feelings, so you’re a very strong support system for those close to you.” Which one are you?

P.S. Thanks to the quiz, my post about the houses on the show has been popular lately, too!

orange-line

Father-of-the-Bride-Lookalike-house

6. Is This Your Dream House?

When I was taking the Parenthood Quiz, I did a double-take when I saw they used a couple of houses from my blog — this “Father of the Bride lookalike” in North Carolina, and the Up movie-house replica in Utah – as choices for your “Dream House.” (For the record, this one was my pick!)

orange-line

I’ve got more to share with you in my newsletter this week, so I hope you’re a subscriber! I’ve just about given up on Facebook as a way of communicating with you guys. Out of my 30,000+ followers, they only show my posts to a small fraction of you each day, which drives me batty. That’s why I started the newsletter to keep in touch with my core group of readers. Click here to give me your email address so you aren’t left out! :-)

Julia-simple teal signature

Want to get my weekly newsletter via email so you don’t miss anything?

{ 21 comments… read them below or add one }

Charlie @ Steamboat Springs Real Estate April 4, 2014 at 9:05 am

There’s something about an old beach home that shows the weather and life that’s passed through its doors over the years. I agree with you Julia – the sun bleached look and originality it more appealing than the makeover home.

Maybe I’m just nostalgic for the times of “The Stranger” and “52nd Street” but I can’t help but think that someone who buyers a beach home won’t mind a little sand in the floors.

hookedonhouses April 4, 2014 at 9:08 am

Yes! That’s how I feel. I’d love to have a relaxed and casual beach house someday. :)

Carolyn April 4, 2014 at 9:20 am

I love your ‘dream house’ in Chapel Hill, the home of my alma mater. I’d like to know where this one is. It reminds me of one of my professor’s houses where we were invited for dinner. It was a long time ago and I can’t remember it very well, but in my mind it was very much like this.

hookedonhouses April 4, 2014 at 9:26 am

No kidding? How cool would it be if this was the same place! There are some really beautiful houses in Chapel Hill.

Aaron@QuinnImagery April 4, 2014 at 9:25 am

While the 80′s time-capsule house is great for anyone in love with the 80′s, as they did an absolutely remarkable job in replicating that style, but for someone like me who loathes the 80′s, vehemently, it hurt to look through the photos, but I just had to anyway. I kept hearing the music to Miami Vice playing in my head as I scrolled through the pics. ;)

hookedonhouses April 4, 2014 at 9:30 am

Now I’ve got the Miami Vice theme song playing in my head, too, Aaron. Ha. Here it is for anyone who wants a little trip down Memory Lane…

Laura April 4, 2014 at 10:17 am

Whoa – no offense Nate, you seem like a nice guy, but that does NOT look like a beach house to me. I really like the before a lot. Guess I won’t be buying that one! I’m glad someone saved the Victorian but the furnishings are a bit over-the-top, and the 80s house is just hysterical. Thanks for that fun selection, and I’ll have to check out the Doris Day movies.

Nichole April 4, 2014 at 3:43 pm

I absolutely love the house in number 6! when I look at the pictures and see how current so much of the decor is in terms of the light fixtures and wallpaper in the dining room, I am amazed that it’s from 2008.

Janice Mahon April 4, 2014 at 5:52 pm

Billy Joel and I come from the same part of Nassau County on Long Island, he was raised in Hicksville and I was raised in West Hempstead. However, he went on to become a zillionaire and I am just, well, Me! He has always done very well in the real estate market and after this horrendous winter, people will want to flock to the beach. I think his house will sell.

hookedonhouses April 4, 2014 at 6:08 pm

It’s hard to beat the location, that’s for sure! :)

Katie April 4, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Ohmygosh that 80′s house – it was cringe-worthy throughout. Who else noticed the high-heeled stiletto chair in the bedroom? Ugh!

I agree that Billy Joel’s beach house seemed more beach-y and sweet in the “before” photos – sorry Nate! And that Victorian was amazing – with the exception of the wacky kitchen lay-out (Is that a fridge in the cupboard? And how about having an oven low and directly behind you as you’re stirring the pot on the cook top?), and that upstairs jungle room with the spray-foam insulation and hanging monkey. As for Doris Day – my favorite memory of her was her TV sit-com set, with the spiral stair case. I used to dream of having an apartment like that someday!

Thanks for a fun jaunt through these homes today!

hookedonhouses April 4, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Isn’t that shoe chair wild?? Cracked me up. Looks like they had a lot of fun decorating that place. :-)

Kim April 4, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Gorgeous Victorian home! I’m so happy it got rescued. I hope the new homeowners will take good care of it.

Jonia April 5, 2014 at 11:09 am

So I’m Drew Holt, apparently. I haven’t seen the show, but ha ha the description says I’m quite…um nope. These quizzes are always fun. Thanks for posting this :)

hookedonhouses April 5, 2014 at 11:32 am

You’re Drew, too? Funny! Of all the characters I sure didn’t expect to get that one. Ha.

Kim April 5, 2014 at 1:06 pm

I got Sydney Graham and the description doesn’t fit me very well. That’s ok, the quiz was still fun to take.

Ivy April 5, 2014 at 8:59 pm

I got Sarah, but that doesn’t seem right. it described her as unpredictable, which I am not (usually)

hookedonhouses April 5, 2014 at 9:38 pm

That’s the one I wanted, even though I’m not very unpredictable, either. Ha. :-)

Alie B April 7, 2014 at 7:58 am

Billy Joel’s beach house is dreamy….before and after! :) I love the property and exterior of the Victorian. Quite an amazing story. These people did a fine job on the reno, although I do find a lot of the décor a bit dark. I chuckled a bit at the 80′s flashback house. It was like stepping onto the set of The Carrie Diaries! I have always admired the “dream house”….ever since you used it as the header on your original blog. The interior is as wonderful as the exterior. That sun porch is to die for! Who would need a cottage, with a fabulous room like this to relax in?

Vaudean Jones April 10, 2014 at 1:03 pm

I really love your blog. I thought I was the only person who was crazy about looking at, touring, and learning about houses, old, historic or new. I think your sense of style, using colors, furniture and accessories, in decorating is fantastic. I so enjoy the variety in your blog. I am disabled and cannot get out and about like I used to It’s so wonderful to be transported to other worlds, from just a click of my Ipad. Thank you so much for brightening my days, nights and life!!!!!!!

hookedonhouses April 10, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Thanks, Vaudean! Your comments just brightened MY day! :-)