For Sale: A House in the Heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains

by hookedonhouses on March 20, 2014

House with Mountain Views for sale in Cashiers NCThere are several types of houses I dream about owning someday, and a “rustic but elegant mountain retreat” like this is one of them. It sits on over 3 acres in Cashiers, North Carolina, perched high above the valley in the heart of the Blue Ridge mountains. And it comes with a guest house on the property, too.

Mountain Views 226 E Ridge Cashiers NC (2)

The agent says: “The property is beautifully landscaped and includes tranquil water features and a koi pond.”

Mountain Views 226 E Ridge Cashiers NC (8)

“Perched high above the valley in the prestigious community of Cedar Hill, this luxurious legacy estate features stunning mountain views.”

Mountain Views 226 E Ridge Cashiers NC (6)

The reclaimed lumber and hand-hewn beams make it look mountain-rustic, but there’s still a comfortable elegance to the rooms.

Mountain Views 226 E Ridge Cashiers NC (26)

“Superb designer finishes, reclaimed lumber and hand-hewn beams combine beautifully for a timeless mountain feel.”

Mountain Views 226 E Ridge Cashiers NC (10)

I have to say I was surprised to see a white kitchen in this house. It’s perfectly nice, but I expected it to be darker and more rustic like the other rooms.

Mountain Views 226 E Ridge Cashiers NC (12)

I would love to see what Renita would do with this kitchen. Remember hers?

Mountain Views 226 E Ridge Cashiers NC (13)

One of my favorite rooms is the master bedroom with the vaulted ceilings, planked walls, and the big windows.

Mountain Views 226 E Ridge Cashiers NC (16)

If you have mountain views, a porch like this is a must. The stone fireplace is a nice touch, too.

Mountain Views 226 E Ridge Cashiers NC (9)

Mountain Views 226 E Ridge Cashiers NC (31)

I’ve never been to Cashiers but I’d love to someday. Gatlinburg is where we usually take our “mountain vacations,” and when I’m looking for a place to stay, the most important thing is finding a deck or porch like this, because I know I’ll spend as much time as possible sitting on it.

Mountain Views 226 E Ridge Cashiers NC (32)

The listing says: “A separate, well-appointed guest house provides a warm welcome to family and friends with a cozy living room, stone fireplace, kitchen and private bedroom.”

Guest House 226 E Ridge Cashiers NC

I love small houses, so I always get excited when I hear there’s one for guests like this.

Guest House 226 E Ridge Cashiers NC (21)

If you buy this house, I hope you’ll invite me to stay.

Guest House 226 E Ridge Cashiers NC (24)

Mountain Views 226 E Ridge Cashiers NC (22)

Mountain Views 226 E Ridge Cashiers NC (27)

Want it? Asking price is $2.9 million. Check the listing for all the photos and information. (Thanks to Kim for telling me about it!)

Mountain Views 226 E Ridge Cashiers NC (28)

Hooked on Houses in the Mountains? Click here to see more, including…

A-Sweet-Mountain-Retreat-for-sale-in-ColoradoA House For Sale in Lake Creek Valley

Want to get my weekly newsletter via email so you don’t miss anything?

{ 32 comments… read them below or add one }

KAY March 20, 2014 at 7:43 am

I super love hewn (flat face) logs with chinking (that white, plaster-looking stuff).
My thoughts about buying this beautiful home: I’ll take the mini house, please!

Pam March 20, 2014 at 7:48 am

I find it hard to believe the kitchen is in the same house as the other rooms. Why is the ceiling so low and drywalled with pot lights? All the other rooms have soaring wood ceilings and look professionally decorated. That kitchen could be in any mid priced suburban home. I love the guest house kitchen, I guess I’ll just move in there.

Carrie Germano March 20, 2014 at 8:14 am

Absolutely gorgeous. Could you imagine this as a vacation home? I’d spend hours just wandering the grounds. Love love love. Love.

SteamboatsMyHome March 20, 2014 at 8:15 am

Wonderful retreat and sublime setting. I love all the reclaimed wood it just adds so much warmth. Makes me want to grab a book and cup of coffee and do nothing all day. The guest home is might be my choice too. Simple living.

Alie B March 20, 2014 at 8:17 am

The home is lovely but I too, prefer the guest cabin. It reminds me a lot of my cottage. :)

hookedonhouses March 20, 2014 at 8:20 am

It’s going to get awfully crowded with all of us in the guest cabin. Some of you are going to have to stay in the main house! ;)

Alie B March 20, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Awww, shucks! Such a hardship! ;)

jep March 20, 2014 at 8:59 am

I am with the group wanting the guest house cabin. Just squeeze me in, please! Thanks Julia, this is a beautiful home.

hookedonhouses March 20, 2014 at 9:05 am

Maybe we can make up a schedule and take turns in it or something. Ha. :)

Brindusa March 20, 2014 at 9:27 am

Wow… Lovely! Rock, wood and forest… What can top that? :-)

JoAnne March 20, 2014 at 9:57 am

Oh darn, Julia, I thought you were going to say that you were going to buy it and invite all of us to stay : ). I wonder if this was a compromise between a husband and wife with the white kitchen – she may have wanted something a little less rustic. It is beautiful though, especially those views!

hookedonhouses March 20, 2014 at 10:05 am

Well, maybe if I pass a hat around I can rustle up enough change to buy it! Then you’re definitely all invited over to check it out. :)

P.S. I bet you’re right about compromising on the kitchen!

Laura March 20, 2014 at 10:14 am

I’m in the guest house camp too. And I thought the same thing about the husband/wife compromise kitchen. I’m not really crazy about this house. I think my idea of a mountain house is something more cabin-y and simple, with antiques and Arts & Crafts / Adirondack decor. Beautiful porch – yes, “soaring ceiling”, granite and pot lights – no!

Aaron@QuinnImagery March 20, 2014 at 10:45 am

Okay, where did I put that $3 mil? I know it’s sitting around here somewhere….
On a more serious note: if I bought that property, the main house would actually become the guest house, because the current guest house is absolutely perfect for my wife and I. That means Julia, that you and your family would simply have to put up with staying in the big house when visiting. Sorry about that. ;)

hookedonhouses March 20, 2014 at 10:47 am

Well, I think I could rough it and hang out in the big house instead. I’ll be watching for my invitation in the mail, Aaron!

Carolyn March 20, 2014 at 10:49 am

I always love seeing rustic but elegant mountain style, especially since we have a log cabin in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina outside of Asheville. (Yes, flat logs, dovetailed corners, with chinking, but ours are not old and reclaimed and certainly nothing on the order of this place.) Cashiers is a very high end area and has served as a cool escape for southerners especially from the Atlanta area. (My great aunt from Atlanta always went to Highlands/Cashiers every summer.) I love perusing their houses for sale – there’s a lot of good inspiration there if you’re inclined towards rustic elegance. (I could give you oodles of links.) I always like the ones that combine the old and the new, but are not log cabin cliches, while being warm, relaxed, and inviting. There’s often an English country influence mixed with the Appalachian in these upscale homes. I love the pond and bridge, but I do wonder how they keep the wildlife from eating the koi! I would have preferred more rustic touches in the kitchen and sitting area – like a wood ceiling – which would help the white or off-white kitchen blend in better, and I hate all those can lights. My friends would love a guest cabin like this – ha! If you’re in Gatlinburg and want to come to Asheville, send me a message and you can come sit on my porch for a spell.

hookedonhouses March 20, 2014 at 10:55 am

Good point about the wildlife and the koi, Carolyn. I hadn’t thought about that. And you might regret inviting me to sit on your porch — I’m on my way over right now! ;)

Wade March 20, 2014 at 10:11 pm

A pond like that is a romantic idea at first thought, but those things are a bit of maintenance hassle as well. Every so often you have to catch all the fish, drain and clean the thing. They tend to smell pretty fishy, too.

Lori March 21, 2014 at 6:54 am

We lived in Cashiers for 11 years and I enjoyed seeing this post. We had a re-roofing company and my husband did quite a bit of work in nearby Sapphire and in Cedar Hill.

When we built our home in Cashiers (just off of HW 107 across from the Blue Ridge School) we cut down all the mountain laurel and rhododendron (gasp) and put up a house with white lap siding. When the time came to sell it, we couldn’t even get people to pull in to our driveway much less come in to the house. We had to paint it gray and slap a metal roof on it for it to sell. Fortunately the mountain laurel and the rhododendron came back with a vengeance!

There’s definitely a certain look to the homes in the Highlands/Cashiers area. People come from all over the world for the fall and the beauty of escaping in to the woods. Carolyn is correct about people from Atlanta coming to their 2nd (or 3rd…or 7th home) in the area. Our realtor warned us about the color of our house and he was right! Houses, he explained, needed to really blend in to the landscape and overly landscaped homes were not terribly desirable at the time. Just have a small landscaped area around the house and preserve your woods (but have trails for hiking). So we did the complete opposite of what was desirable in the area. Not a big deal if we were staying, but we ended up leaving the area!

Some friends of ours built a million dollar home in a very nice neighborhood, but with a Mediterranean influence. Not much woodwork and the outside was stucco with quoins and a little bit of rockwork. Gorgeous home but I just didn’t see much stucco in that area. They also had to be extra patient in selling their home and ended up putting a $100K kitchen in. In to a house that was 10 years old!

But Cashiers/Highlands is the most beautiful place I’ve ever lived!

Carolyn March 22, 2014 at 10:55 am

Yes, there is definitely a mountain aesthetic. I know of many developments in our area that require the siding and trim (no white!) and roofs to blend into the natural landscape and limit the amount of clearing. Personally, I love that. It is hard to tell if there is a house in the woods or on the mountainside. Our cabin is the color of tree trunks and our roof is green, and you can’t see it from the road. There is a small cleared area around the house where I have lots of flowers, the rest is all rhododendron, mountain laurel, native azalea, wildflowers, and trees. And yes, we have a trail we made down to our ‘water feature’ – a natural spring we cleared out. For those who don’t want a house in the woods, there are classic farmhouses where white siding is perfect. Though there are some wonderful 1920′s Mediterranean houses in Asheville, the style really doesn’t suit a mountain environment.

Anne March 20, 2014 at 1:03 pm

The kitchen may not look like it belongs, but I’ll take it… Along with the gorgeous view out of the window over the sink! Beautiful house! Love the master bedroom.

deb March 20, 2014 at 2:55 pm

I could easily live in the guest house!

Moche elle March 20, 2014 at 4:30 pm

I can forgive the low ceilings in the kitchen, however, I think the cabinets would fit better in this house if they were painted sage green or some color other than white, same with the bath.

hookedonhouses March 20, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Ooh, a sage green would be pretty. I like that idea!

jenb March 20, 2014 at 5:11 pm

If I had a few extra millions laying around, I’d buy this- turn it over to Renita for a month or two for a kitchen re-do and then move right in!

Dean March 20, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Dream retreat for sure. Love it, especially the picture of the koi pond and breezeway–it has an Asian feel to it, which I was really surprised by. I’m with you and the majority here about the kitchen. In another house it would be great, but it doesn’t fit. I lived in the area for a couple of years and it’s beautiful.

Esther George March 21, 2014 at 2:17 am

Got room for one more? Hi Julia love the landscape and the home, the main bedroom perfect, the porch I can only imagine how wonderful it must be to sit out there with morning coffee or evening drinks with family and friends or just a quiet moment. Thank you for sharing such a magical place. Regards Esther from Sydney. PS have a lovely weekend.

Kim March 21, 2014 at 3:30 am

This is such a beautiful retreat and it would make a great vacation home.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com March 21, 2014 at 9:06 am

I love it. I want to move in.

Wendy March 22, 2014 at 10:36 am

This looks a bit like my house in Marin County. It’s a stone and log cottage (added onto over the years so not really a cottage anymore) surrounded by redwoods and oak and bay forest, with a creek running underneath, and plenty of light too. If you are ever in San Francisco come and see it. We have a very pretty guest room (lots prettier than our room!).

hookedonhouses March 22, 2014 at 10:39 am

Ooh, sounds so nice, Wendy! I’ll keep that in mind if I’m ever in your neck of the woods. :)

Carolyn March 22, 2014 at 6:46 pm

That sounds fabulous, Wendy! I bet you have lots of friends lined up for that guest room.