A White Farmhouse in Georgia & More Houses For Sale

by hookedonhouses on March 9, 2014

historic farmhouse for sale Madison GA

1. An Historic 1816 Farmhouse with Stables in Madison

The listing says, “Built circa 1816 this historic home has achieved near perfection after restoration and several renovations in keeping with the original structure. Enhanced by extensive professional landscaping and the addition of a three-horse stable and fenced pasture, it is now a showplace suitable as a country retreat.”

converted firehouse for sale in Hartford CT

2. A Former Firehouse from the 1920s in Connecticut

The listing says: “Very cool renovated 1920s Firehouse in Hartford, Connecticut. Presently a work/living space with 14-foot ceilings which create wonderful light spacious rooms.”

87 Browning Hyde Park NY For Sale

3. Simbrook Farm in New York

The listing says, “Simbrook Farm is an outdoor paradise with over 85 acres imparting abundant opportunities for hunting, fishing, horseback riding and cross-country skiing. The circa 1820 farmhouse has two master suites, three fireplaces, and hand-hewn posts and beams. Property comes with a horse barn, carriage house, a large pond, waterfalls, and an artist studio.”

2035 Collingwood Toledo OH For Sale

4. The Reynolds-Secor Mansion in Toledo

The listing says, “Enjoy the opulence of long ago with spectacular woodwork, leaded stained glass, beamed ceilings. Gracious and spacious living awaits you in the Reynolds-Secor Mansion with Victorian and Arts and Crafts influence. Three floors of unbelievable living space and a two story carriage house.”

Medina Washington Cape Cod for sale

5. A “Medina Cape Cod” in Washington

The listing says: “Stylish Medina Cape Cod. Tones of White, Cream & Linen compliment this flowing floor plan accented with high ceilings, casual & formal rooms. All accented by chocolate hardwood floors. Main level Master Suite provides a tranquil spa like retreat. Lower level offers Media, Game & Craft room.”

Arts and Crafts style home in San Francisco for sale

6. An Arts & Crafts-Style Home in San Francisco

The listing says, “This circa 1900 home of remarkable character with a just-completed renovation. The result is an extraordinary home whose original neighborhood appeal remains intact while the interiors present a sumptuous, sophisticated ambiance that honors the warmth and beauty of the home’s early Arts and Crafts heritage.”

orange-line

I just got back from Florida. Did you miss me? I see from my overflowing inbox that some of you did. Ha. It was cold and rainy while we were there (boo!), but we enjoyed celebrating our nephew Zach’s wedding with the rest of the family. You can see some pics from my trip on Instagram. We had an amazing view of the beach from our hotel room that I’m really going to miss waking up to!

Julia-simple teal signature

Want to get my weekly newsletter via email so you don’t miss anything?

{ 31 comments… read them below or add one }

KAY March 9, 2014 at 8:51 am

That white farmhouse had me at boxwoods + a pair or urns. Divine!
Who hasn’t wanted to convert an old firehouse into a one-of-a-kind home?
Love it!
This couple from St. Louis is doing said-same + blogging about it:

hookedonhouses March 9, 2014 at 8:53 am

Oh, wow, I hadn’t seen their blog. Thanks, Kay!

KAY March 9, 2014 at 12:20 pm

I first spied them + their project on House Hunters + then investigated further to find their blog.
The best thing about their fire house interiors would be the glazed white brick walls. Omigosh, I love those!
They painted over them in their photography studio, though. Buzz kill. :-(

Laura March 9, 2014 at 9:57 am

Very nice and interesting selection. I’d love the NY farmhouse, and (Holy Toledo!) that Ohio mansion would be fun to decorate! I did miss you – glad you’re back.

hookedonhouses March 9, 2014 at 10:04 am

Thanks, Laura! :)

Kelly - Talk of the House March 9, 2014 at 10:48 am

Be still my heart!! I LOVE the farmhouse in Madison. It is an absolutely beautiful town that was spared Sherman’s burn through Georgia (due to political reasons – not aesthetics.) The plank walls are perfection in that home. I would add a swimming pool and change out the drapes some and move in (with my tons of money of course! LOL)
Thanks for sharing. Glad you enjoyed your trip to Florida. I could sure use a beach trip about now!

CottageGirl March 9, 2014 at 10:50 am

LOVE the charming 1816 farmhouse! It has that elegant homey feel for me. The little screened in porch seems so cozy and the garden was extremely inviting!

maddie may March 9, 2014 at 11:13 am

I am so in awe of the 1816 farmhouse in Madison both with the wonderful decorating of each room& the breathtaking landscaping. Truly beautiful.

CIRCA Old Houses March 9, 2014 at 1:30 pm

The farmhouse is my favorite! I have always wanted a farmhouse.

Jonia March 9, 2014 at 2:28 pm

#1 who wouldn’t love those stables??!! Oh the parties to be had! #2 Anybody who loves reno’s and houses not excited by the idea of seeing a firehouse renovated/converted?! #3 How about your own pond to skate on?! The kitchen doesn’t quite make sense to me though. #4 Um, wow! What a difference a State makes! #5 I thought it was interesting how the current owners kept the Craftsmen details, but made it work for their esthetic. #6 The tile, oh my the tile!!!!! It has my heart going pitter patter. It’s so unique. The views??!! Yummy! Oh, I think the firehouse n.e.e.d.s. a rooftop garden. How delicious would that be?!

Karen March 9, 2014 at 3:03 pm

I am glad to hear you had a nice time in Florida, even though the weather didn’t want to cooperate. It is always nice to get away, but even nicer to come back home ;-)

hookedonhouses March 9, 2014 at 3:08 pm

I do love coming back home again. I’m just a homebody at heart. :)

Abby R March 9, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Did anyone else notice that the Medina house (and I live in Seattle) had photos from before and after the staging? There were two pictures of several of the rooms with two different sets of furniture and decor. I assume one was the owners’ and one the staging furniture. Seems really odd to pay for staging and then show original decorating anyway!

hookedonhouses March 9, 2014 at 5:19 pm

I wonder if the old ones just didn’t get deleted when the new ones got added or something? It does seem odd!

katie clooney March 9, 2014 at 3:23 pm

This is one of my favorite series in blogland. Thank you for doing such a great job!

hookedonhouses March 9, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Thanks, Katie!

Poppy March 9, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Hi Julia,

How wonderful that you were able to escape the monstrous winter for a while; glad you had a relaxing time!

Well, simply wanted to say that I’m just now catching my breath, after viewing the virtual tour of the most beautiful farmhouse I have ever seen in blogland! This 1816 farmhouse in Madison, Georgia is elegant, enchanting and charmingly restored to classically styled perfection! I hope it never disappears from the blogosphere, as I have bookmarked it for my daily dose of instant happiness!

Thanks so much for featuring it in yet another intriguing post of your wonderfully entertaining series.

Have a lovely week!

Poppy

hookedonhouses March 9, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Thanks, Poppy! You, too! :)

Becky March 11, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Yes, I like the Madison farmhouse too … it reminds of a movie house, where people played by a host of famous actors gather for a family event and end up solving all the dysfunctions of their pasts. A healing house. Let’s face it, we love our house fixes because we know that houses have special “properties” about them. And this one feels good.

Paula March 9, 2014 at 9:52 pm

I love the 1816 farmhouse, No white and grey like so many other remodels. It is so inviting and cozy. I also love the firehouse.

Wendy March 9, 2014 at 11:47 pm

Welcome back, Julia. I’m hyperventilating over the Toledo house. Holy cow. That figure they are asking for it wouldn’t even cover the down payment on the carriage house here in Northern California. If only my English husband would consent to move to snowy Toledo!

Esther George March 10, 2014 at 3:40 am

Hi Julia, glad you had a nice time in Florida. How do you pick a favourite? They are all so beautiful. I love the name Toledo. I wouldn’t say no to San Francisco and the Arts and Crafts home. Thank you for sharing. Regards Esther from Sydney. PS you have been missed and love your Instagram.

hookedonhouses March 10, 2014 at 6:38 am

Thanks, Esther! :)

Steve@AnUrbanCottage March 10, 2014 at 7:58 am

I’m dying over that firehouse, such wonderful windows in a very cool space. It’s not a bad price for so much space.

Cheryl in Wisconsin March 10, 2014 at 9:31 am

Toledo mansion = masterpiece. Pure & simple. How wonderful it is so intact.

Gur March 10, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Welcome back from your vacation!

That Toledo mansion’s ceilings are just amazing. Glad to see the wood still raw. The firehouse is amazing as well… a true working space, it looks like it has significant office space for an architecture or design firm. The NY farmhouse is also amazing; the bottom floors look like they were ripped from a museum or movie set. The SF home is very close to the (locally) famous wild parrot colony.

Megan March 10, 2014 at 4:41 pm

All of these houses are wonderful. But the San Francisco house is my choice! Those views! Love the interior too; with all that woodwork it manages to be warm and light and airy simultaneously. I wish they had a closer picture of the mural in the living room- my curiosity is piqued.

Dean March 10, 2014 at 9:35 pm

The renovated 1920s firehouse is a dream come true for me! To be able to live, produce, and show (art) all in one locale is the ultimate. Love the renovation, architecture, windows—everything—and it has a parking garage! :-) Much as I’m attracted to residential homes, I’m a sucker for a great industrial loft live/work property. Thanks for featuring this one!

Alie B March 14, 2014 at 10:29 am

Glad you had fun at the wedding, Julia! :)
Love the 1816 farmhouse!

richmond saylor March 17, 2014 at 8:52 am

I live in a house is probley 150 yrs old the man lived here when i bought it was in his mid 20′s his late realitives was living here in past one built it ‘ how can I find out for sure,im 78yrs old would like to sell it but I don’t have a orig pix the kitchen was built on about 60 yrs ago will sell it,has old about 3ft long,old hand chipped stones all under it

richmond saylor March 17, 2014 at 8:58 am