A Light-Filled Cottage (& Tiny Guest House) in Carmel

by hookedonhouses on January 14, 2014

Storybook Carmel Cottage in California

This charming little house may be less than 1,000 square feet, but it looks like a happy place to live. The listing says, “Visiting Carmel in the 1920s, a young dressmaker was lured by the beauty, serenity and burgeoning artist community and built this magical storybook cottage.”

Carmel Cottage 24778 Guadalupe (2)

“Now 85 years later this fairy-tale cottage has been beautifully and immaculately restored. Amazing care was taken to maintain the original charm and keep the integrity of the time period the home was built. Result is perfection.”

Storybook Carmel Cottage 1942 for sale (10)

“Inside you will discover the original stone fireplace and hardwood floors, the coved ceilings and graceful archways that frame the lovely living and dining rooms.”

Storybook Carmel Cottage 1942 for sale (6)

Carmel Cottage 24778 Guadalupe (6)

Storybook Carmel Cottage 1942 for sale (4)

Carmel Cottage 24778 Guadalupe (5)

Carmel Cottage 24778 Guadalupe (4)

“Nestled at the back of the property” sits an even cozier guest cottage:

Carmel Cottage 24778 Guadalupe (7)

I wouldn’t mind being a guest here…

Carmel Cottage 24778 Guadalupe (8)

It has 336 square feet with one bedroom and one bath.

Carmel Cottage 24778 Guadalupe (9)

Storybook Carmel Cottage 1942 for sale (8)

Storybook Carmel Cottage 1942 for sale (9)

The asking price was $1.325 million, but it looks like it’s already pending. I’m sure cottages like this don’t stay on the market long!

Carmel Cottage 24778 Guadalupe (10)

Visit Between Naps on the Porch and the listing for more photos and information about the property.

Storybook Carmel Cottage 1942 for sale (1)

Hooked on Cottages? Click here to see more of my favorites, including…

Hobbit Guest House Colorado

{ 58 comments… read them below or add one }

maddie may January 14, 2014 at 8:29 am

Sweet perfection….. This is truly an adorable cottage (& guest cottage)….. I love the simple rustic fence & charming garage door. My favorites always seem to be the cottages over the large & ornate homes. It’s so wonderful to dream…….

hookedonhouses January 14, 2014 at 8:33 am

They tend to be my favorites, too. I love a good cottage!

Alie B January 14, 2014 at 8:29 am

So sweet! Might be tight with children, but for a single person or couple it would be perfect! It has a French country vibe that is both charming and endearing.

Kay January 14, 2014 at 8:31 am

Adorable!
Carmel is such a fantastic place! Let’s go!
Re: the cottage: I’d suggest replacing the chunkier furniture with something smaller scale.
Julia, congratulations on being mentioned in HGTV’s magazine!
Saw it yesterday.

hookedonhouses January 14, 2014 at 8:32 am

Thanks, Kay! My mom is so proud. :)

Laura January 14, 2014 at 8:46 am

Adorable! And what a bargain (ha)! I’d change the kitchen lighting, the shorty curtains and a couple other little things, but other than that I’m sold.

hookedonhouses January 14, 2014 at 8:54 am

This would be a fun house to decorate, wouldn’t it?

Laura January 14, 2014 at 11:02 am

Oh, yes!

MissFifi January 14, 2014 at 8:58 am

Now THIS is my ideal home.
The charm of this place is just lovely.

Esther George January 14, 2014 at 9:05 am

Good Day Julia it is 1.50 AM it’s bed time. My IPad is runing low but I had to check your blog.and you did it again…this lovely cottage, looks like they are fans of MacKenzie Childs I love that. My screen keeps going up and down, well I am trying to get a better look, mind you I’m half asleep…thank you for sharing. Regards Esther from Sydney. PS I still think your home is beautiful.

hookedonhouses January 14, 2014 at 9:09 am

Good point about the MacKenzie-Childs influence, Esther. Sweet dreams in Sydney! :)

Dean January 14, 2014 at 9:23 am

It’s almost unreal how perfect this place is. Looks like something out of a dream… or a movie set. Love everything about it (and I usually lean more toward modern.) My eyes popped more than once looking at these photos, starting with the first interior shot. Those ceilings, those archways–the charm keeps going on and on. OK, I’ve gushed enough. Beautiful home, guest house and grounds!

Carolyn January 14, 2014 at 9:51 am

Yes, the storybook cottages are always my favorite, and Carmel has oodles of them. Linda Hartong’s blog has featured many of them, as well as showcasing Carmel itself. It’s a wonderful place, but very expensive real estate, which is not surprising being on a gorgeous stretch of California coast. I’ve never been there, but dream of going. Here’s a link to her blog: http://talesfromcarmel.com/

Ami P January 14, 2014 at 9:53 am

That is absolutely lovely. And that twisted tree trunk table in the breakfast nook is to die for. Speaks to every childhood fairytale I ever loved. I’ll be right over.

LouAnn January 14, 2014 at 9:57 am

Very charming and filled with clean fresh looks. I love visiting Carmel as I once lived in Cambria down Hwy. 1. It also is a charming English town.

elaine January 14, 2014 at 10:24 am

my MIL lives in carmel and i love to visit! i actually think that cottage may be close to her house…

Lane January 14, 2014 at 10:49 am

This house is so charming…I always focus on practical and I don’t see a dishwasher….or a mirror over the bathroom sink in the main house,,,otherwise this is so cozy…

hookedonhouses January 14, 2014 at 10:54 am

Maybe there’s one we’re not seeing, but I would need a dishwasher, for sure!

Thirkellgirl January 14, 2014 at 11:23 am

It’s cute, and I’d love to live there, but I think her window treatments and light fixtures really make it look like an old lady house.

jep January 14, 2014 at 11:45 am

This is my kind of house, just the perfect size and to have a guest house, too…..Wow! Thank you so much for sharing this house with us today.

Angie January 14, 2014 at 12:00 pm

I love this house! The older (and wiser??) I get, the less I want. The smaller and more simple the better.

hookedonhouses January 14, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Me, too, Angie! :)

simple girl January 15, 2014 at 11:48 am

Me, three! A cottage is close to my idea of a *dream* home.

Jen January 14, 2014 at 12:01 pm

what a cute cottage There are a lot of little details I like about this
I am kinda picturing live there

Jennah January 14, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Cottage perfection!! Oh how I would love to spend my days in this dreamy little spot! Carmel holds a special place in my heart as we got engaged on the beach at sunset. I would love to spend my “empty nest” days in this lovely cottage!

hookedonhouses January 14, 2014 at 1:29 pm

What a perfect place to get engaged!

Donna @ Cooking + Praying January 14, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Perfect little cottage and beautiful yard. And a perfect place–wow! The décor doesn’t do it for me (ugh, those curtains) but I’m only imagining what fun it would be to redecorate.

Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) January 14, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Such a wonderful cottage, hard not to fall in love with a cute place like this. :) Thanks for the shout-out, Julia!

hookedonhouses January 14, 2014 at 2:46 pm

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Susan — I love it. :)

Sue January 14, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Ive walked the streets of Carmel and drooled over so many houses like this! Such a beautiful area ….

Tricia January 14, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Wow! I would give my left you-know-what to live in Carmel… love, love, love everything about that place! Did you know most of the homes have names instead of numbers? Completely adorable, but it has to be one of the most expensive per-square-foot addresses in the country.

hookedonhouses January 14, 2014 at 4:22 pm

I love the idea of giving the houses names instead of numbers!

janet January 14, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Absolutely one of my favorite places on earth. Wish I could spend several days there just housekeeping!

Kim January 14, 2014 at 4:21 pm

I can’t stop looking at this cottage it’s so lovely. I wish I could live in a place this peaceful.

Kelley January 14, 2014 at 4:51 pm

This is the kind of cozy cottage to spend your golden years in. Having 3 children, I tend to gravitate to the 5 bdrm, 3 bath…but this I could picture myself enjoying later in life. The beautiful stone fireplace needs me next to it, with a throw and a cup of coffee :)

hookedonhouses January 14, 2014 at 8:02 pm

I’ll join you, Kelley! :)

Lynn Shields January 14, 2014 at 6:38 pm

I hate to drop a rock on this, but I lived in downtown Carmel for 4 years and the town is filled with little treasures like this one. Unfortunately it comes with a very steep price tag. These little jewels can go for 1m up to 6 m depending how close to the ocean it it, especially one fixed up like this one.

hookedonhouses January 14, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Sad but true. It’s fun to dream, though!

Linda January 14, 2014 at 6:52 pm

It says one bedroom, but I see two and two baths and another ‘room’ area.

hookedonhouses January 14, 2014 at 8:01 pm

The small guest house behind the main house has one bedroom.

Linda January 14, 2014 at 9:11 pm

Oh I see, thanks.

Cheryl January 14, 2014 at 9:12 pm

We visited Carmel this past October, and I wish I hadn’t, because now I am going to be forever wondering how I could find a way to live there, instead of in cold, snowy Minnesota. Don’t get me wrong, I like where I live, but to live in such a paradise as Carmel would be a dream come true. If you, like me, can’t buy a house there, at least please try to visit once in your life. If you CAN afford a house there run, don’t walk, to your real estate agent. You can thank me later. Maybe with a room in your guest suite.

Penny January 14, 2014 at 9:13 pm

You’re in my HGTV magazine! How exciting!!

I really wanna go to Carmel one day just to look at houses.

hookedonhouses January 15, 2014 at 7:29 am

Isn’t that fun? I couldn’t believe they listed my blog alongside the biggies like Trulia and Zillow! :)

Maria January 14, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Carmel isn’t very far, so I’ve known it my whole life and still have family there, what saddens me is here is the loss of the storybook roof. I know they are extremely expensive to replace, but it’s such a design detail of these lovely homes it’s kind of heartbreaking they are disappearing. (Some even have actual thatched roofs.) I love they kept the original cabinets (or good replacements), but would’ve liked to see the lath and plaster walls retained. Drywall just takes away a lot of charm detail and makes things look like a new home replica, but on the whole it’s a cutie and on a nice street. Price is good too, I see it’s sold now – easy to see why.

Carolyn January 15, 2014 at 9:26 am

I, too, thought it looked a little too ‘new’. The thatched looking roofs were usually cedar shakes steamed to curl over the eaves. This is labor intensive and thus expensive (and cedar shakes are not as impervious to fire). Looks like they tried a facsimile here with regular roof shingles.

Wendy January 15, 2014 at 2:59 pm

I don’t know the specific regulations for Carmel but in my town of Mill Valley the trouble with keeping the old roofs is not just expense. It’s primarily fire regulation. You can maintain an existing wood roof but you cannot replace one. This means that you have to stay on top of it from year to year. Once it gets past the point of no return you have to replace it with acceptable, less flammable materials. We are facing this with our 100+ teal old storybook cottage. And these days it’s harder and harder to find people who can or will do maintenance which is a small job/act of love more than a profit center.

hookedonhouses January 15, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Interesting! I can see how that would be a challenge. Thanks, Wendy.

Maria January 17, 2014 at 3:30 am

Here too in some areas – it’s city by city, but you might check to see if it will be allowed due to historic status. There are some that still work on these specialty roofs, but you’re right, they are becoming harder to find. So many in Carmel though.

Gur January 15, 2014 at 1:59 am

Carmel is a lovely town, with one of the nicest beaches in Northern California. And, it’s such an uber dog friendly place, it is practically French.

Maria January 17, 2014 at 3:10 am

One of the reasons it’s so dog friendly is due to Doris Day who is a local and strong supporter of animal rights..

Trisha Troutz January 15, 2014 at 8:16 am

Adorable! I absolutely love this quaint cottage.

Alie B January 15, 2014 at 9:36 am

After reading all these comments on Carmel, I had to check it out! I see what all the fuss is about. It’s just gorgeous!

G.B. Oliver January 15, 2014 at 12:15 pm

We were just in Carmel and all the houses there like this one, so charming and so close to the beach. What a great, quaint town. Living doesn’t get any better!

Aaron@QuinnImagery January 15, 2014 at 12:50 pm

While the inside decor is too feminine for my taste, I really appreciate the smaller scale and the architectural elements. It’s a really quaint home with character. I’m a ‘hobby landscaper’, love digging in the dirt and designing gardens, and that property is a stunner, they did an amazing job of designing the quintessential cottage garden, without being too over the top.

Luciane at HomeBunch.com January 15, 2014 at 11:06 pm

What a cute place! It’s like living in a doll house!

Love it, Julia!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Renae January 16, 2014 at 7:01 am

I love Carmel, it’s been years since I’ve been there but this little home is a treasure. I too, wouldn’t mind being a guest! Something in my gut told me (before I finished reading) it would be over a million!

Brittany January 16, 2014 at 8:23 pm

I love cottages and this place is adorable! Too bad it is WAY out of my price range ;)