The Top 10 Houses of 2013

by hookedonhouses on December 31, 2013

Top 10 Houses of 2013It’s hard to believe another year has come and gone. We’ve taken a lot of house tours together over the past 12 months, so I thought it would be fun to see which ones were the most popular with readers, getting the most comments, clicks, and shares. So with a drumroll, please, here are the Top 10 Houses of 2013…

{Click the links to see more photos of each house.}

My-Sweet-Savannah-Melaines-Lake-House10. Melaine’s Lake House

orange-line

Wallace Neff's vacation cottage Santa Barbara9. A Vacation Cottage Designed by Wallace Neff in Santa Barbara

orange-line

Craftsman Staged Like a Restoration Hardware Catalog8. A Remodeled Craftsman

orange-line

Hamptons Farmhouse from the 1700s7. A Classic Shingled Farmhouse in the Hamptons

orange-line

Olde Creek Cottage in Pennsylvania

6. A Small Stone Cottage in Pennsylvania

orange-line

Rie's new Victorian Farmhouse door5. Rie’s New Farmhouse in North Carolina

orange-line

Hollyhock Cottage Moody Sisters Santa Barbara4. Hollyhock Cottage in Montecito

orange-line

New French Country Cottage3. A New House Inspired by Old French Country Cottages

orange-line

HGTV Dream Home 2013 5002. HGTV’s Dream Home 2013

orange-line

Trina's Country Farmhouse in Oregon1. Trina & Mike’s Country Farmhouse

Did any of your favorites make the list? (BTW, I didn’t include TV and Movie Houses or ones owned by Famous Folks, but you can see the Top 10 lists for those here and here.) Many thanks to all of the readers who told me about great houses like these in 2013, and to the rest of you who showed up to read about them. I truly appreciate every single one of you.
Happy New Year!

Julia-simple teal signature

jep December 31, 2013 at 10:22 am

The cottage designed houses are my very favorites!
Thank you for finding them and Happy New Year Julia and to all here!

hookedonhouses December 31, 2013 at 10:58 am

I have to say they’re some of my favorites, too! :)

Maryellen December 31, 2013 at 10:51 am

HAPPY NEW YEAR, JULIA! Thank you for sharing all these beautiful homes with us throughout the year(s!). Viewing your blog is one of the highlights of my week. :-)

hookedonhouses December 31, 2013 at 10:58 am

Thanks, Maryellen! :)

Robert Harper December 31, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I love them! #8 the Remodeled Craftsman looks like my dream home! I’m hoping to end up in something similar; thank you for the amazing photos and great ideas each of them contain.

SteamboatsMyHome December 31, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Homes provide us shelter and comfort. But they really are an extension of our personalities. This list exemplifies the differences in architecture and the many readers and contributors of this blog. Celebrating unique homes and individual favorites.

hookedonhouses December 31, 2013 at 12:14 pm

So true! They all have personalities of their own.

Kim December 31, 2013 at 2:17 pm

I like the french cottage styled house the best on this list.

Esther George December 31, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Hi Julia I love all of the above especially the Lake House. Well the fire works in Sydney town were huge our Opera House turned 40 big celebrations. Till next time Wishing you and your family a Wonderful, Healthy and Prosperous 2014. Thank you for a great blog. Cheers…..Esther from Sydney.

hookedonhouses December 31, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Thanks, Esther! Same to you!

Brandy December 31, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Hollyhock’s still my favorite. Gosh it’s gorgeous! Have a wonderful new year!

hookedonhouses December 31, 2013 at 6:55 pm

That’s a good one! Thanks, Brandy. :)

Catherine December 31, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Happy New Year Julia! Thank you again for posting our farmhouse. We sold it about a month ago. We’re excited to find another home to love. Best to you, Catherine

hookedonhouses December 31, 2013 at 9:19 pm

That’s great news, Catherine! Happy New Year! :)

nanne December 31, 2013 at 9:55 pm

and, just a snippet of all of the wonderful (and, occasionally, not so wonderful :)) homes you have shared with us this year.

how long have you been blogging, julia? i feel like i have been reading hooked on houses for forever. it is has become a routine part of my mornings. wake up, grab a cold, coke..fire up the computer..check email..check hoh, commence with the rest of the day.

i’ve noticed that so many of the quality bloggers that i love seem to hit a wall around their fifth year or so. and, i get that. so much time and research goes into producing regular, interesting, timely and, what to seems to be the new thing, dreamy, gorgeous pics, that it has to be exhausting.

thanks for hanging in there and continuing to generate great content. looking forward to another year of glimpses into lovely homes on hoh!!

nanne

hookedonhouses January 1, 2014 at 8:43 am

I’m coming up on my 6th anniversary of blogging, which is about 100 years in Internet time. Ha. When I started this blog there weren’t many decorating/house blogs out there yet. No one was using Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, or Facebook, etc. It’s kind of crazy how much things have changed since ’08.

It’s always nice to hear from you, Nanne — happy new year! :)

Frances in England January 1, 2014 at 6:27 am

Happy New Year! And thank you for providing us with such fabulous house eye-candy throughout the year. Since 2014 will likely (hopefully?) see us selling and buying ourselves I’m sure I’ll be getting inspiration from your site!

hookedonhouses January 1, 2014 at 8:43 am

Thanks, Frances!

Laura January 1, 2014 at 4:31 pm

These were all so much fun to look at again – even my least favorite, the Restoration Hardware house, because it spurred a lot of fun discussion about favorite and least favorite home catalogs. My favorite, as far as beautiful setting and decoration, would have to be the Oregon farmhouse. That Trina’s got flawless taste. But for location, I’m going to go for an old house near the beach every time. Can we move that house to maybe the coast of Connecticut, Rhode Island, or someplace like that?

Carolyn January 1, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Many of these were my favorites. I echo the cottage love, especially the quirky older ones with a storybook feel. I also admire the many homeowners who have the vision to bring an old house ‘back’. Thanks for giving us so many pleasurable moments of house lust. When I saw “The Holiday” and “Christmas in Connecticut” this season, I thought of you! Happy New Year!

hookedonhouses January 1, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Thanks, Carolyn! I’ve enjoyed your comments all year long. Happy 2014! :)

CIRCA January 1, 2014 at 10:28 pm

I want to print the photograph of the little Pennsylvania stone house and frame it and position next to my bed so it’s the first thing I see every morning when I wake up :-) I absolutely LOVE stone houses and this one is utterly charming in every way! Thank you for the eye candy!

Jessica January 1, 2014 at 11:25 pm

I’d have to say Trina and Mike’s home holds a special place in my heart, everything about it, including them, always brought smiles and inspiration, love them, and their house, looking forward to their next home adventure.
Thank you Julia, for all the amazing work you do in providing us with such a wonderful outlet to satisfy our house cravings…you’re the best!
Blessings in 2014…
xo J~

hookedonhouses January 2, 2014 at 10:20 am

I agree — love their house and her blog. Thanks, Jessica!

Alie B January 3, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Happy New Year, everyone. :) It was fun walking down drool-worthy house lane! Loved all these homes. Thanks, Julia!

laura madalene January 4, 2014 at 8:49 am

I have enjoyed your blog for some time now. Thank you for your wonderful posts and exposing me to “Houston Style”. I so enjoy your humor, and sharing funny stories about your family. May you have a holiday season fill with love and peace. Happy New Year…. See you in 2014

calvin February 3, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Here’s the video slide show for the craftsman home in Houston, enjoy!