A Pre-Revolutionary Stone House in Pennsylvania

by hookedonhouses on December 18, 2013

Stone House Bucks County PA 2652 Mill Rd Doylestown

One of the real estate searches I have bookmarked is for houses in the Bucks County area of Pennsylvania. I love the old stone houses you can find there, like this one in Doylestown. I can just imagine how pretty it must be in the snow this time of year! It was built in 1756 and sits on over 11 wooded acres. Oh, and there’s a charming carriage house on the property, too…

Stone House Bucks County PA 2652 Mill (2)

The listing says: “This pointed-stone bank home is nestled atop the luscious hills of Watson’s Creek and is the epitome of Bucks County Living.”

Stone House Bucks County PA 2652 Mill (3)

“This landmark home offers the perfect place for escape, peaceful country strolls and guest privacy. The main house offers 4 Bedrooms, 2 full baths, 2 half baths, 3 fireplaces, antique random-with plank flooring throughout.”

Stone House Bucks County PA 2652 Mill (5)

Stone House Bucks County PA 2652 Mill (8)

Stone House Bucks County PA 2652 Mill (6)

Stone House Bucks County PA 2652 Mill (7)

Stone House Bucks County PA 2652 Mill (4)

Stone House Bucks County PA 2652 Mill (9)

One of my favorite rooms has to be the kitchen. They updated it, but it still looks like it belongs in this house.

Stone House Bucks County PA 2652 Mill (11)

Stone House Bucks County PA 2652 Mill (12)

The wisteria-covered patio in back:

Stone House Bucks County PA 2652 Mill (13)

Both the main house and the carriage house offer “fanciful views of the original pre-revolutionary sawmill, luscious gardens, and the creek.”

Stone House Bucks County PA 2652 Mill (15)

The carriage house has a pretty great kitchen of its own. I’m loving the stone floors and the farmhouse sink:

Stone House Bucks County PA 2652 Mill (16)

Want it? It’s on the market for $974,000. Check the listing with Michael Richardson of Kurfiss-Sotheby’s for more photos and information.

Stone House Bucks County PA 2652 Mill (14)

Hooked on Old Stone Houses? Click here to see more, including…

Grogley farm stone farmhouseGrogley Farmhouse in Cornwall

{ 33 comments… read them below or add one }

Joanna December 18, 2013 at 8:15 am

Yes, yes and yes! Where do I sign?

Jonia December 18, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Ha ha ha, exactly Joanna :) Julia is excellent at helping me invest my excess millions in some great properties lol.

hookedonhouses December 18, 2013 at 1:56 pm

What can I say. It’s a gift! Ha. :)

Susan December 18, 2013 at 6:16 pm

I always thought it was a way to control airflow in homes in the winter– the door can be closed to keep cold drafts from wafting upstairs. Not sure why the tradition is to place them 2-3 steps up from the bottom of the staircase, though.

Kay December 18, 2013 at 8:34 am

My friend, Alan, + I used to drive to Valley Forge, PA once a year for the fantastic Market Square wholesale show. How we loved to spy stone houses like this one! The eastern Pennsylvanians put little, white electric candles in their windows year ’round, which ramps up the charm factor even more.

nancy December 18, 2013 at 2:34 pm

So do the Central Pennsylvanians :)

Sherri Davis December 18, 2013 at 8:56 am

Hi Julia, I am a huge fan of your site, but have never commented before. I have noticed that in many of these older homes, as in this one, the stairways leading to the upper floor have “smaller doors” that begin 2 or 3 steps above the first few stairs. Do you have any idea why? If they wanted to put on a door, why not have it rest directly on the floor? Thanks.

hookedonhouses December 18, 2013 at 9:03 am

I always wonder that, too, Sherri! Maybe one of my smart readers knows the story behind the doors and can educate us.

Pamela December 18, 2013 at 9:02 am

I love everything except for the blue trim in kitchen which I just kind of like. There isn’t one pretentious room in this house. They even have a phone on the wall in the kitchen and silverware stored in glasses on the table. The kitchen is perfect except for the trim colour and the modern stove. Love the copper pots and range hood. The only other thing that was odd was the doors and fireplace stripped of their paint. I think I would paint them as they originally would have been. So nice to see an interior that lives up to the exterior. They will miss this place for sure when they sell

Imre Zat December 18, 2013 at 9:09 am

I love them :) Both of the houses’re so nice!!

maddie may December 18, 2013 at 9:18 am

This home has everything I love……Stone exterior & interior walls, wonderful wood floors, farmhouse sink, beams, two fireplaces both absolutely full of character, a vintage style bathroom. The carriage house, beautiful gardens and a creek are icing on the cake. Gorgeous in every way.

Alie B December 18, 2013 at 9:30 am

Oh this place is gorgeous! I can imagine it decorated lodge- style and with a big, real Christmas tree near the main staircase. You’re right, Julia; this home would just shine with snow all around.

Donna December 18, 2013 at 9:45 am

My brother and sister-in-law live in an old farmhouse in Michigan and their house has those same doors at the bottom of the stairs. They say the idea was conceived back before central heat and it’s to keep the heat from traveling up the stairs so the living spaces stay warm during the day.

hookedonhouses December 18, 2013 at 9:47 am

That makes sense — thanks, Donna!

Kristin December 18, 2013 at 11:06 am

My husband has family in Doylestown and every time we visit them, I drag him on a walk through the town to stare at all the lovely houses. Gorgeous!

hookedonhouses December 18, 2013 at 11:09 am

Wish I’d been smart enough to marry someone with family who lived in a town like this. I’d be going on lots of walks on our visits, too! Ha. :)

Laura December 18, 2013 at 11:33 am

Yes, please! A stone house, in Bucks County. Very beautiful, although I agree with the poster above – that fireplace would probably look better with paint. Sometimes people want to take woodwork down to the “original finish”, but it was never originally meant to be bare wood. Anyway, this house is fab!

Jenn December 18, 2013 at 11:33 am

Love it! Why couldn’t it be within daily commute distance to NYC??

Laura December 18, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Believe it or not, there actually are people who commute to NYC from there. Pretty crazy!

House Crazy Sarah December 18, 2013 at 11:46 am

Amazing! The orange walls in the main room are so unexpected but beautiful! What a stunning historic home.

Carol M December 18, 2013 at 11:58 am

I love these types of houses. I live in Chester Co., PA, which also has a lot of beautiful old stone homes. There is a great Christmas tour through some of them each year.

If I am looking at it right, it looks like they used a floor shelf unit and mounted it upside down above the toilet. What a great idea! Love the kitchen and its windows.

nancy December 18, 2013 at 2:37 pm

I’m going to look for that tour but if I can’t find it I’m coming back to request a link.

MissCaron December 18, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Love it! My mom’s family is from Bucks county. Very nice area although no one lives there anymore (not since my great grandparents era). Hope you have a merry Christmas, Julia!

hookedonhouses December 18, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Merry Christmas to you, too! :)

Sandy December 18, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Love this historic home! This is one of the reasons why we love living in SE PA! They believe in restoring historic homes and buildings here. Bucks County isn’t the only county with great old stone buildings. Delaware County with the Brandywine Valley, where I live, has many stone homes and buildings. Every year we go on the Chadds Ford Candlelight Christmas homes tour. Merry Christmas!

Katnip Kid December 19, 2013 at 9:21 am

Older homes help make SE PA unique. It’s living history!

Unfortunately, in Fountainville, PA they recently tore down a beautiful 19th century home to make room for a strip mall. Yuck! That corner had such ambience. Now, it will resemble just another corner that could be anywhere. Sigh. They will probably add those fake “olde fashioned” touches to attempt to recreate what was destroyed.

hookedonhouses December 19, 2013 at 9:51 am

Oh, no. That’s sad.

Katnip Kid December 21, 2013 at 5:18 am

Yes, it is very sad indeed. The entire, oh I don’t know the word, ambiance or “vibe” of the section has changed, and for the worse. It is one of those moments that I feel doubly bad for not being able to have purchased the house.

nanne December 18, 2013 at 5:13 pm

those wood floors are incredible! love the way the home was decorated, keeping the feel of the house’s origins, yet making it comfortable and modern.

Kim December 18, 2013 at 11:51 pm

What a beautiful old home with beautiful surroundings. That would be a perfect place to live during the holidays.

Katnip Kid December 19, 2013 at 5:00 am

Sigh. :(
A beautiful home. Stone homes like this can be found in Bucks County, it is true. However, they are priced out of my range forever, so I’ll never be able to live in or one. They are charming, I must admit. Bucks County is a wonderful place, but has gotten far too expensive. :(

Carolyn December 19, 2013 at 10:21 am

Gorgeous! Though I could do without the orange. Not my color. And I’d find a different way/place to display the TV. Amazing house and property. Look at all those hostas!

Screendoorgirl 3 December 22, 2013 at 7:50 am

Gorgeous! I even love the orangey wall color. The carriage house kitchen is awesome–stuff dreams are made of . Thanks for sharing , Julia and Merry Christmas!!!