Can You Name These 10 Christmas-Movie Houses?

Do you watch the same movies every December and feel like you know the houses in them by heart? I do! Let’s see how many of these you recognize…

Christmas movie mystery tree1. Clue: It’s hard to believe. {Answer.}

snowflake line

Christmas movie mystery living room 22. Clue: The architect doesn’t get the girl in this one. {Answer.}

snowflake line

Christmas movie mystery house foyer3. Clue: Ever feel like you’re forgetting something? {Answer.}

snowflake line

Christmas movie mystery living room4. Clue: He moved to the country in search of a simpler life. {Answer.}

snowflake line

Christmas movie mystery tent5. Clue: House swap. {Answer.}

snowflake line

Christmas mystery movie house6. Clue: What if they never lived here? {Answer.}

snowflake line

Christmas movie mystery foyer 27. Clue: All his life he wanted to have a big family Christmas. {Answer.}

snowflake line

Christmas movie mystery living room with tree 28. Clue: A family gathers for a rocky Christmas. {Answer.}

snowflake line

Christmas movie mystery kitchen 29. This couple paid for a Norman Rockwell Christmas (and phone calls). {Answer.}

snowflake line

Christmas movie mystery entry hall10. Clue: Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow… {Answer.}

snowflake line

How many did you know? These are the 10 movies represented, in random order:

Holiday Inn movie house coverHoliday Inn

Funny Farm movie Andy Farmer's Cape in Vermont 2Funny Farm

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation house in lightsChristmas Vacation

Christmas in Connecticut houseChristmas in Connecticut

The Family Stone movie houseThe Family Stone

It's a Wonderful Life George Bailey's House Bedford FallsIt’s a Wonderful Life

White Christmas movie Columbia Inn Pine Tree VermontWhite Christmas

Miracle on 34th Street movie house remakeMiracle on 34th Street

The Holiday movie cottageThe Holiday (Mill House)

Home Alone movie house Winnetka IllinoisHome Alone

Comments

1. Carol M says

I got all of them except the first one. Love the homes in all these movies!

What a clever idea! I love this and I loved remembering these movies. I watched Home Alone this weekend and I just love the traditional look of this home. Thanks for the Monday quiz!

3. Candice says

Didn’t get them all but it was great fun trying! Love the movie house thing you do, and this was a great way to revisit some of them.

4. Sil says

I watch too many Christmas movies! I got them all! lol I own a few of these as well and I am a BIG fan of TCM!! Great choices!!

I have loved so many of these movies..never saw Christmas in Connecticut..

Must look it up..nor did I see the remake of Miracle on 34th St..Fun post!

I knew them all!! I watched Family Stone on a flight home one time. I was sobbing so hard at the end that people were looking at me on the plane. It had to have been the worse movie to show on a plane. It started with just tears and a super runny nose then I was a wreck!

• says

Oh, man, I can imagine. It was hard enough not to go into the “ugly cry” when I saw it in a theater full of people. At least it was dark in there! Ha.

7. Alie B says

LOL @ ugly cry, Julia. Is there any other kind? My girls hate it when I cry over movies, and that’s only at home! At the theater? Total mortification! 😉 Great post! There are a couple of older movies I haven’t yet seen and I plan to look up over the holidays. I figured out all those I had seen.

8. Lisa Smith says

What a fun post and clever hints! I got all but “Christmas Vacation”! I had to tell you that the way I found your wonderful blog some three (?) years ago was by “Googling” Funny Farm”! I wanted to know where that had been filmed. I remember reading “according to Hooked on Houses….”. I thought “Hooked on Houses”?!?! What on Earth is that? So…. I clicked on the link and TWO hours later I realized I was DEFINITLY hooked Julia and her hooked on houses!!!!
    Just love you both!!!

Love all of these. Also Step Mom has wonderful Christmas scenes in that great old house!

10. Rachel says

The Family Stone is my favorite. I think I look for your post every year during Christmas. :)

11. Jonia says

#1,2,3,5,6,10 got ’em. This was a great reminder that I wanted to watch Holiday Inn! You’d posted something about this “house” last year about this time (I believe something controversial in the movie also?), but intentions and all that, I missed it. This is the year! Thanks for the reminder Julia :) I love Christmas houses!!

12. Rebecca says

Long time lurker, first time poster. Holiday Inn was my favorite Christmas movie, watched it every year on TV. “I’m Linda Mason”. I remember when I found it on VHS! (I’m of an age, as they say). That’s when I first saw the dreaded Lincoln’s birthday scenes…I was crushed. All the years I had watched it on TV, Lincoln’s birthday had been edited out. Hasn’t been the same for me since, I don’t watch it anymore. Great house though.

• says

I know what you mean, Rebecca. I think a lot of people are shocked to see those scenes for the first time if they only watched the edited version on TV. I know I was!

13. nanne says

i love your movie holiday house features! thank you!

have you ever featured the house in the fred macmurray/barbara stanwick film, “remember the night”? the home that fred macmurray’s character grew up in is not a huge part of the movie, but it’s a great house.