Choose One: Three New Houses in Utah Inspired by Classic Older Home Styles

by hookedonhouses on December 11, 2013

New House Old Style #1 4801 W Dock S Jordan UT For SaleW hen a reader told me about a neighborhood in Utah where new houses are being built with exteriors inspired by classic older house styles, I had to check them out. I found three that are on the market now, so take a look and then tell us which one you like best.

New Craftsman 4801 W Dock S Jordan UT For Sale (20)

First up — a blue house with a big front porch. At first glance it reminded me of the blue Craftsman from the movie You, Me and Dupree. Remember that one? (You can see photos of it here.)

New Craftsman 4801 W Dock S Jordan UT For Sale (14)

The interiors of the houses look much more modern than the exteriors, although you’ll find classic details here and there.

New Craftsman 4801 W Dock S Jordan UT For Sale (6)

I think the staircase detail is interesting, as is the built-in bench seat for the kitchen table (comfort, however, may be another matter!).

New Craftsman 4801 W Dock S Jordan UT For Sale (19)

The white kitchen is lovely but I would have liked to have seen some of the stained wood in the cooking area, too.

New Craftsman 4801 W Dock S Jordan UT For Sale (11)

New Craftsman 4801 W Dock S Jordan UT For Sale (2)

A big mudroom like this would definitely be a selling point for me:

New Craftsman 4801 W Dock S Jordan UT For Sale (7)

Check the listing to see all the photos and details. Asking price: $699,999.

orange line with Craftsman house

New House Old Style #2 4811 W Dock S Jordan UT (1)

This traditional two-story home has some lovely woodwork, built-ins, and lots of big windows.

New Craftsman 4811 W Dock S Jordan UT (11)

There are 4 bedrooms and 3 baths.

New Craftsman 4811 W Dock S Jordan UT (19)

New Craftsman 4811 W Dock S Jordan UT (9)

I really like this kitchen with the mix of black lower cabinets and wood-stained uppers.

New Craftsman 4811 W Dock S Jordan UT (3)

New Craftsman 4811 W Dock S Jordan UT (16)

New Craftsman 4811 W Dock S Jordan UT (20)

I also like the built-ins in this house, like this window seat:

New Craftsman 4811 W Dock S Jordan UT (10)

New Craftsman 4811 W Dock S Jordan UT (4)

Check the listing for all the photos and details. Asking price: $615,000.

orange line with Craftsman house

Yellow House for sale 5192 W South Jordan UT

I love a simple yellow house like this with white trim and a front porch. It would be fun to see the front door painted a bright color, wouldn’t it?

Yellow house old style 5192 W S Jordan UT (7)

Inside, the kitchen has more of a country vibe than the other two.

Yellow house old style 5192 W S Jordan UT (11)

The finished basement provides additional living (and playing) space:

Yellow house old style 5192 W S Jordan UT (9)

There are 5 bedrooms and 3 baths.

Yellow house old style 5192 W S Jordan UT (6)

Yellow house old style 5192 W S Jordan UT (5)

I could really go for a big, sunny laundry and mud room like this:

Yellow house old style 5192 W S Jordan UT (3)

Check the listing for all the photos and details about this yellow house. Asking price: $499,900. All three houses were built by Destination Homes. Check their website to see more of their floorplans and houses for sale. (Thanks to Kim for telling me about them.)

Now it’s time to pull out your (fantasy) checkbook and buy one. Which one will it be?

Julia-simple teal signature

Click here to see more new houses with classic style, including…

Emmeline-Gabrielle-Farmhouse New Old Houses 7032012A Farmhouse in Vermont

{ 59 comments… read them below or add one }

Kay December 11, 2013 at 9:53 am

These homes are pretty DE-lightful.
The first 2 feature both my choices for paint schemes in our new house: 1. gray walls + white woodwork OR 2. white walls + gray woodwork.
I’ll no doubt decide the a.m. we paint! ;-)
Re: choosing 1 of these houses: I pick the blue one because of its exterior + kitchen, altho I want to like that staircase more than I do.

Dean December 11, 2013 at 9:54 am

I chose #1 before even seeing 2 or 3. Love EVERYTHING about the exterior. The interior doesn’t disappoint, with the exception of the slats on the staircase. The rest of the architectural details mimic the period of the style, but those slats look like an modern update (in a space imitating an older style–?) It doesn’t make sense to me.
Also like #3, especially it’s kitchen.

Cheryl in Wisconsin December 11, 2013 at 10:05 am

I’ll take Door #1, Monty.

hookedonhouses December 11, 2013 at 10:10 am

You got it! Ha.

Sherry December 11, 2013 at 10:31 am

I like house # 1 the best. What I like most about all of them is that the stairs aren’t directly inside the front door. That makes no sense to me.
I’m so happy I found this website. Thanks for all the beautiful homes to drool over.

Aria@TheUglyBarnFarm December 11, 2013 at 10:42 am

Number 3, all the way. (except for the bar stools in the kitchen). I’d paint the front door ‘fire engine red’!

Laura December 11, 2013 at 11:36 am

I love the exteriors of all three, but the interiors are a bit modern for my taste. I don’t really like double-height ceilings and I think they all had them. Tasteful and well-done, though. Thanks for sharing!

Leanna Comer December 12, 2013 at 11:50 am

I agree with you, Laura. Loved the exteriors; the interiors, not so much. If I had to pick, I’d go with #1.

Carolyn December 11, 2013 at 11:50 am

Hate to be the negative one here, but these houses don’t do it for me. Maybe I’m not used to the housing preferences out west. Yes, I see the Craftsman parallels; yes, they’re decorated and detailed beautifully. To begin with, the houses are too big for their tiny lots. And what’s with the giant entries? Yes, it makes the house feel gracious but it seems like a lot of wasted of space. The kitchen and dining room are huge in house 2, but I don’t see a correspondingly large living area, unless you want to ‘live’ in the open foyer/dining. I can’t really get a good idea of the layout of house 3. Of the three, I like house 1 the best because I think its layout works (though there’s lots of wasted space in that foyer and it needs a big center table in there at least – or a big Christmas tree!), and I love the kitchen and the wrap-around porch. But I’d want more yard and privacy (and trees – I know, it’s an east coast thing), and I’d hate that big electrical box right in front of the side porch. I hope there are some mountain views from that wonderful porch.

Jane Susan December 11, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I agree, Carolyn: those high ceilings are a big waste of space. I can’t imagine trying to heat those rooms (especially in cold Utah). Makes me shiver just to think about it. I also don’t like the open view of the second floors – what is the point? I like more privacy than they afford, and also it seems like it could be noisy if there are lots of kids.

I guess I’d go with #3, but with some modifications. And it would have to be in another state :).

Truth is, I don’t like really big houses.

Billy December 12, 2013 at 9:55 am

8-10k sqft is a good size lot in sub divisions at this price point, and the floorplans are pretty generic in new construction.

I totes agree about the huge two story entrees, and I don’t understand a separate mudroom and laundry room that are back to back. I have seen much better layouts in less space. And to top it off they are on the wrong side on SLC for me (if I had to live there I would be as close as practical to Alta).

Now where is that cheese.

Sherry Casterline December 11, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I like house #1, but I’d want the kitchen & stairway in #2. I’m loving the porch!

Brandy December 11, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Could I combine the exterior of #3 with the interior of #1? If not, #1.

Love this!

hookedonhouses December 11, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Sure, why not? Go for it! :)

Brandy December 11, 2013 at 7:05 pm

These homes remind me a bit of those from The Waters outside Montgomery, AL: http://bit.ly/IGiDVj and http://bit.ly/1f8mzss. I believe Layla from The Lettered Cottage recently moved there.

hookedonhouses December 11, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Thanks for those links, Brandy! I just love seeing neighborhoods like that.

Kelly December 11, 2013 at 1:02 pm

If you were going to give one to me, then #3 would be my pick… only because its the most “coziest”. Otherwise their nice homes… but not for me. I want oldder homes with a history… what fun is a level floor anyway?

Cindy W December 11, 2013 at 1:08 pm

#1, hands down. The only thing I would change is the exterior color. Normally I love blue but for whatever reason, I hate it on this house.

Jill December 11, 2013 at 1:41 pm

All these houses are in a housing development called Daybreak. The lots are much smaller because basically on every street there is a community park and there are a bunch of huge parks in the neighborhood as well. Its really an amazing community with really distinct houses. Each one is different and beautiful and you can find any style and size. Its a great community!

Kiki Nakita December 11, 2013 at 2:04 pm

I REALLY like the Southern style of house #1. The porch, the trim and the hardwoods throughout the first floor.

The stairway and hardwood choice in house #2. It would look more appropriate in house #1…which has a funky 70′s modern stairway.

And last, but not least the laundry room in house #3.

Pedro December 11, 2013 at 2:10 pm

House 1, would be amazing living there!

Alie B December 11, 2013 at 2:12 pm

These are really cute. Although I’m an old house person, I can appreciate the convenience of new homes. I like house #1 for its craftsman appeal, although I would have liked to see more natural wood. The kitchen in #2 is amazing! I really like black kitchen cabinetry. #3 is the most my style as far as exterior, but I would like to have seen a wrap-around porch, as opposed to 2 separate ones. Also, the interior is comfy and country-ish, but would be more so with a normal height ceiling.

Kim December 11, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Thank you for sharing these! It’s a tough choice, but I would choose the 2nd one for it’s tall ceilings and staircase.

Gaynell December 11, 2013 at 2:35 pm

They are all winners!! But #3 is my choice, and like you said Julia it needs color on the front door.

anna see December 11, 2013 at 4:09 pm

I’m with Brandy– I want to mix and match! Liking the prices, though. Much better than where I live. Sigh.

Wendy December 11, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I’d take #1 for sure, though I’d change the grey paint inside first thing. The porch, the mudroom AND the laundry. I drool. I liked #2 as well, but the flow of traffic to and around the dining room is a non-starter for me. I couldn’t settle in that room.

Claire L. December 11, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I like the interior of house number one the best and it looks to be on a corner lot, which is always nice. I also like the wrap around porch but there is a huge electrical box on the side. I could suck it up and plant some bushes to hide that and still be quite happy :)

Kristen @ More Than Mulberries December 11, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Funny, I’ve been in all three of these model homes (I live 10 minutes away) and while pictures from certain angles make them look charming, you couldn’t pay me to live in a single one of them. They are AWFUL! #1, that kitchen is shoved into the back of the house like an after thought. #2, that dining room is smack in front of you when you walk in the front door. The living room (so called) is a 10×10 space off to the right. And #3, is cute, but the kitchen in real life is SO SO small with a pantry the size of 1/2 a linen closet.
Just goes to show, the houses can look good in pictures but it’s not always so when you show up for a viewing! :)

hookedonhouses December 11, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Interesting! Always fun to get an “on the ground” report about houses we only see in pictures.

nancy December 14, 2013 at 10:02 am

Interesting. I thought house #2′s foyer/dining room/living room looked like a hotel lobby.

Kelly December 11, 2013 at 6:23 pm

I was really exited to read this post because I love the classic styles of older homes.

The exteriors were very promising but the interiors were a disappointment. The layout of all 3 homes just doesn’t make sense, and what is with being able to see the upper levels?! I would hate to see the electricity bill and the acoustics would be awful.

I’m glad though that there are new houses being built with characteristics of the older, classic style homes and I hope to see more of it (just with better interiors)

Thanks Julia.

House Crazy Sarah December 11, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Sears kit homes making a comeback???
Love his concept! The quality of these homes looks amazing.

Jonia December 17, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Good point! These homes I think, have a much more open concept than those did, but good eye.

Sue T. December 11, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I’d pick #3. I was’nt love-in the color pallets they choose on any of the houses. And #1 with that big box (electrical) in the front yard & those boulders.

Julie B. [Holland] December 12, 2013 at 1:14 am

I think I would pick #3 I liked the “flow” of it from the pictures. All pretty !

Rebecca C December 12, 2013 at 2:18 am

I like the styling of the outsides of these homes, but I bet it echoes inside like crazy. I stayed in a more modern house that had an interior like this. You could hear everything that happened upstairs in the rest of the house and vice versa. Open floor plans can be great, but sometimes not so great, especially if you have kids. Beautiful detailing on the insides though.

Steve@AnUrbanCottage December 12, 2013 at 7:02 am

Since this is a fantasy purchase, I hope you don’t mind if I chose the exterior of House #1 with the interior of House #2.

hookedonhouses December 12, 2013 at 7:37 am

Go for it! :)

threadbndr December 12, 2013 at 9:16 am

I like the exterior on #2 the best – the brackets and exposed rafter tails.

Not crazy about the double height ceilings in any of them. In THE Bungalow, I have 9 foot ceilings and that’s plenty high. I’m sort of disappointed that they chose to paint the majority of the woodwork.

All in all, I’d rather have the real thing.

HouseTalkN December 12, 2013 at 10:10 am

I love them all but #1 has my name written all over it!

Diane December 12, 2013 at 11:05 am

Door # 1 :)

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com December 12, 2013 at 11:35 am

I love the stairway bars. What a smart idea. Especially with small kids.

Ellie December 12, 2013 at 11:41 am

I love old(er) houses, but having lived in one I know how much upkeep and repairing (both of which are time consuming and expensive) are necessary. So the perfect solution is an older design new home. I’ve lived in a log home designed just that way for eight years and it’s wonderful! Having said that, my favorite of the three is #3.

Karen December 12, 2013 at 12:58 pm

#1, without question! Love both the exterior and the interior.

Nicolle December 12, 2013 at 3:30 pm

#2 and #3- I love the warm exterior of #2 and the red in the kitchen of #3 especially.

Maggie December 12, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Wish I could find out what color gray that is in the first house..it’s getting to be a nightmare trying to pick the right gray!!

jordi December 12, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Until Kristen wrote that she has viewed them in person I was packing my bags and getting ready to go.

#’s 1 and 2 seem beautiful except for the overwhelming staircase slats in #1 are an eyesore. #3 is to simple on the outside for me but then I am a sucker for porches which it lacks.

I had an idea that the pics where taken with a wide angle lens due the arching ceiling in some of the pics.

Nathan December 13, 2013 at 4:10 am

I can’t choose! Umm. I guess either 1 or 2. I love the exterior of 1 the most but I think I like the interior of 3 the most.

Jessica December 13, 2013 at 12:47 pm

I had a hard time choosing between the first and third, and although I like the kitchen better in the first one, I think I might go for the yellow house. :-)

Rebecca December 13, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I live in that area of Utah but will never buy in that neighborhood. You buy the house but the land is a 100 year lease, yikes!

Rebecca December 13, 2013 at 3:15 pm

By the way the HOA is crazy strict so no brightly colored front door. :D

hookedonhouses December 13, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Bummer!

Kristen @ More Than Mulberries December 13, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Oooohhhhhhh – Rebecca! I didn’t know about that lease thing! But funny how that doesn’t surprise me. I love the idea of Daybreak, but I don’t want a charming craftsman house right next door to funky glass flat roofed apartments either. We like visiting the lake in the summer and stopping by Cafe Bella Rue for a gelato, but I’ll never buy there!

Imre Zat December 14, 2013 at 6:01 am

I really love all the 3 houses :) Wonderful article! Dear Julia, I miss Movie Monday posts very much! Imre

hookedonhouses December 14, 2013 at 8:08 am

I’m still doing Movie Mondays! I’ve got more of them lined up for the weeks to come. Glad you like them! :)

lindasusan December 15, 2013 at 7:31 am

Most definitely the first house. I love the peak of the front of the home and the layout is one of the nicest and coziest. The only thing I would change is the staircase, I have a passion for staircases, and a beautiful banister can make or break the look of it, and somehow, while the look is interesting, the charm of the staircase has been compromised by the total floor to ceiling look. lindasusan

Christina Smith December 16, 2013 at 6:06 pm

House number 1…. That one is so beautiful outside. Now if the inside could look as warm and inviting as the inside of the Columbia Inn from White Christmas, it would be the perfect house. The inside as it stands, is beautiful, but just lacks a certain warmth and friendly vibe. It comes across as a bit cold…a contrast from the exterior which just begs for visitors. And the staircase is an oddity…I wouldn’t choose it for myself, but unique it is. Still all in all, the character of the outside is a thoroughbred and winner in my book.

Jonia December 17, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Hmmm, I like something about each, but location would have a big part to play in the final decision. We regularly have -30C to -40C for several months of the year. Having a front door opening to the main living area, without any kind of a buffer, would make for a whole lotta discomfort for anyone there. Julia, I believe the eating area for #1 would be known as a dieters eatery haha ;) I can’t see myself spending much time there. It gets my vote for most unique staircase I recall seeing.

Mindy M December 21, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Did anyone catch the kitchen countertops? The first home is the only one that appears to have a natural stone? Thought that was somewhat odd in homes at that price point, but I live in Texas and don’t have much knowledge about the rest of the country.