A Very Blue Kitchen in New York

Bright Blue Kitchen in House Beautiful (2)

We see so many white and gray kitchens these days that this vivid blue kitchen in East Moriches, New York, really jumped out at me. The homeowner says she was going for “a French blue, with a little purple in it, although I never met a blue I didn’t like.” Decorative paintings she commissioned like this one on the pantry door make the room even more colorful.

Bright Blue Kitchen in House Beautiful (3)

Not only did they paint the cabinets and woodwork to match a pair of candlesticks the homeowner loved (which you can see in the photo below, on the counter), but they threw in some blue tile for the backsplash and blue fabric for the banquette. That’s a lotta blue!

She says she doesn’t really cook much but wanted her new kitchen to be the family gathering place. Her granddaughter told her if she ever sells the house, she has to make the new owners promise not to change a thing.

Bright Blue Kitchen in House Beautiful (1)

Would you be brave enough to try something this bold? Read the interview with the designers and homeowner and see more of the photos by Trevor Tondo at House Beautiful.

Click here to see more Kitchens I’ve featured, including…

Bobby Flay's turquoise kitchen HamptonsBobby Flay’s Turquoise Kitchen

Comments

1. Martha says

Oh, I love that the owner decorated her kitchen for her enjoyment and not future resale value! Our homes should reflect our personalities and not what trends dictate.

2. Cheryl in Wisconsin says

I have always respected people that adorn their homes with things, colors, and styles that make them happy, and are not slaves to trends and conformity.

I think hanging out in this kitchen would be uplifting and fun.

3. Sharrieboberry says

Wow! Can you imagine how this much color makes the owner happy? I don’t know if I could do it, but I like it here. Good for her!

4. Lori says

If I walked into a house and saw all of this color, I would immediately know it was the house for me! I love the bright color and warm atmosphere she has created.

5. Christina from Dallas says

It looks beautiful! I love blue and white. There is even a decorating book I have featuring only blue and white decorating. Glad she designed her kitchen into what she wanted. Sometimes we aren’t brave enough to follow through.

6. Laura says

Well, that’s fun! I like the individuality too. My favorite all-blue room is that bedroom in Nights in Rodanthe. Didn’t like the movie so much, but that house was fab.

7. lilkunta says

I like.I dont see anyhint of purple in the blue.
    And since she doenst cook much it is easier to havea colorful kitchen as she doesnt cook much so she doenst have to deal with finding grease splatters or any food splatters on the blue tile/paint.

__Her granddaughter told her if she ever sells the house, she has to make the new owners promise not to change a thing.__
    Good luck with that. Buyers may promise and change it anyways. After spending 100k 200k 500k on a house(NY is expensive) who wants the sellers to tell them what to do ?

8. Alie B says

I really like this. Not sure it’s appropriate for a cold climate home, but I can imagine this as a vacation kitchen in the Caribbean or some other such balmy place.

9. Jennah says

Such a beautiful shade of blue!!! That banquette!! WOW!!! Those windows! WOW!

I love colour in the kitchen. My first home was a century house and the kitchen had beautiful blue weathered cabinetry with white procelain knobs. It was so fresh and happy!

Thanks for sharing, Julia!

10. jep says

What a lovely place to make memories with her grandchildren.

11. Talia says

Love this! I agree, I’ve yet to meet a blue I didn’t like as well.

12. Kim says

I think it’s very fun, but I wouldn’t want a kitchen that color.

13. Imre Zat says

Amazing kitchen!!! It reminds me Nights in Rodanthe house (just a little bit)! Imre

14. Elvira says

Fantastic kitchen! I love the large windows and the amount of natural light pouring in which calms down the strong colour. Washing dishes looking out at the view must be a pleasure.

15. Ruth McArthur says

My favorite kitchen that you have posted yet! I love the color. Intense yes, but a refreshing change from the grey, beige, or “low key”. I especially love the wall mural. What a great accent, very inspiring.

What a fun kitchen! I’m not a blue lover, but I’m loving this out of the box kitchen. Such a change from the proverbial white kitchen we see so much of! ~Delores

17. Lisa T. from NC says

Such a great kitchen! I love the layout and the banquet area and the real hood over the range. And the blue. And the windows. And the decorative painting. I love my white kitchen but this is such a refreshing change.

18. Jonia says

I’m in love with the aqua tiles on the backsplash. The banquet fabric looks so fun!!

19. Monica says

It certainly is HAPPY!!! At first I was thinking no, but I warmed right up to it! I would like to have coffee there for sure!

No. I would never be so bold. But! I love it when someone else is and I get to see it and say, WOW! That is beautiful.

21. Wendy says

So refreshing. Good for the homeowner. I’d come and have coffee with her any day.

22. David says

I had to laugh at this post. I blew all my kitchen remodel budget on a cobalt blue Viking range. I couldn’t stand going to the store and being told white or stainless which will it be. When it came time to make the decision all I could think of was racing red or cobalt blue-am I making the right choice.

This is so different and beautiful! I would love to have a kitchen that is this out there and cheerful. Good for them for branching out.