A Classic Colonial Revival & More Great Houses For Sale

by hookedonhouses on December 1, 2013

Every day readers send me the listings to lovely houses like these. Here are some of my favorites this week (click the links for more photos and info about each one):

Classic Colonial Revival 2120 G Sacramento CA

1. Classic Colonial Revival in Sacramento: $997,000

The listing says: “Available for the first time in nearly 30 years. Large windows, built-ins and beautiful wood floors, a 2-car garage, lovely yard and off the chart curb appeal!”

orange-line

459 Sea View Ave Osterville MA for sale

2. Waterfront Estate Overlooking Nantucket Sound: $14.75 million

The listing says: “Sophisticated yet intimate waterfront estate. Stunning modern oasis with 7,762 sq. ft. and beautifully balanced living areas all oriented toward the water. Separate carriage house, boat house, beach house, in-ground pool, brick patios and over 125 ft. of sandy beach.”

orange-line

247 10th Ave Minneapolis MN for sale

3. “The Most Unique Residence in Downtown Minneapolis:” $2.695 million

The listing says: “From the private gated courtyard to the full grown trees, gardens and sitting area you will feel like you are in a completely different world. Walk to the Guthrie and so much more!”

orange-line

3621 Serra Road Malibu for sale

4. “Barn Loft Remodeled by Famous Designer in Malibu:” $3.25 million

The listing says: “Dramatic Barn Loft completely designed/remodeled by a famous designer, recently featured in award-winning Rizzoli architectural book.” (Any guesses who the “famous designer” might be?)

orange-line

Historic Georgian Mansion 900 Brockie York PA

5. Historic Georgian Mansion in Pennsylvania: $899,900

The listing says: “Historic Georgian Mansion that has been meticulously restored to its original grandeur. Features include magnificent cherry kitchen with heated terrazzo flooring, three story stair case, original inlaid wood floors, crown molding, 10 fireplaces and elevator.”

orange-line

151 Vaughan St Portland Maine for sale

6. Old Brick House with Turret in Portland, Maine: $1.05 million

The listing says: “Unique and special, this 1904 home reflecting J.C. Stevens design is spacious and gracious. Its 11 rooms include original woodwork and built-ins, stunning stained glass windows, 4 Fireplaces, new slate roof, updated systems throughout.”

orange-line

305 S Park Blvd Independence KY For Sale

7. Classic Four-Square in Kansas: $114,900

The listing says: “This special Four Square style home has so many unique features it must be seen to be appreciated. An Independence treasure.”

orange-line

The Mayfair 1790 West 38th Ave Vancouver for sale

8. The Mayfair in Vancouver: $22.8 million

The listing says: “Nestled in the heart of Vancouver’s historic Shaughnessy neighbourhood, The Mayfair is west coast luxury at its finest. The Mayfair blends classical Tudor Architecture with touches of Art Deco.”

Got a favorite? Thanks to readers like Charles, Kim, Elaine, Meghan, and Nancy for submitting these. If you ever see something you love in the real estate listings, post the link on my Facebook page or send it to me!

Julia-simple teal signature

{ 30 comments… read them below or add one }

Laura December 1, 2013 at 10:13 am

Merry Christmas to us! Thanks for that amazing assortment of houses. Wowee. I love looking at those period details – woodwork, fireplaces, porches, stained glass. All extremely impressive, but to tell you the truth, I’d be happiest in that Kansas foursquare, if it was moved to the East Coast. Cape Cod would be good. :)
By the way, does anyone else suspect the downtown Minneapolis mansion once belonged to Prince? It’s pretty freaky!

hookedonhouses December 1, 2013 at 10:17 am

I love the foursquare, too. And I wouldn’t be surprised if someone like Prince lived in the Minneapolis house. Ha. :)

House Crazy Sarah December 1, 2013 at 11:02 am

Sampler? It’s more like a real estate buffet!! :)
If I had to pick just one…. oh I couldn’t! There’s so much to love here!

hookedonhouses December 1, 2013 at 11:13 am

Maybe that’s what I’ll start calling it — a real estate buffet! Ha.

Nancy Wood December 1, 2013 at 11:11 am

While I enjoy looking at all these beautiful homes (isn’t that why we visit Hooked on Homes :) ), I would like to see more homes that the average person can afford. It’s fun to see what mid-priced homes are like in other parts of the country. My house is going on the market this week and I can’t wait to send you the link!

Of these homes, the Kentucky four square has some real charm to it. You just have to see past the current decor and look at the potential. I also really liked the colonial revival. What a beauty!

hookedonhouses December 1, 2013 at 11:31 am

I’ll see what I can do! I’d say the majority of listings people send me the links to are easily in the $1 million-plus range. So this kind of sampler is probably more about daydreaming than actual house-shopping for most of us. Ha.

Nancy December 1, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Wow, the one I sent is included. Exciting!

hookedonhouses December 1, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Yes! Thanks, Nancy! :)

Courtney December 1, 2013 at 1:11 pm

I don’t think I am ever surprised when a house for people of very substantial means is beautiful, but man that four square looks nice. Obviously, the exterior would need to be freshened up, but that porch, the wood inside, the ceilings, the lovely white fireplace! Wonderful, and I bet it would look HUGE once emptied.

hookedonhouses December 1, 2013 at 1:55 pm

I agree, so much potential there!

Peggy December 1, 2013 at 4:05 pm

114900.00 for the Foursquare in Kansas??!! Is that a typo? It’s gorgeous!!

Gaynell December 1, 2013 at 6:37 pm

114k for the Kansas home?? Unbelievable!! Oh what I could do to that home! The only thing missing is our moving van in the driveway. I would take that one over the million dollar homes any day!

Kelly - Talk of the House December 2, 2013 at 7:27 am

Wow..so many gorgeous ones here! I think the restored one in Pennsylvania would make a magnificent bed and breakfast, and I would loooooove to live in the one on the water in Nantucket. Pure classic beauty!

Carolyn December 2, 2013 at 11:16 am

Wow, what an interesting collection of houses! And, of course, location affects the price. I’d be quite happy with that four square in Kansas – in my neighborhood. As for dreaming, I typically fall for Tudors, but that last one – the most expensive – was too updated for me. (I know, that sounds weird.) And I love a rustic look, and the barn in Malibu was appealing, but maybe just a little too much weathered wood? That leaves the Nantucket one which is nearly perfect. But all of them have interesting/beautiful details and features.

Sherry December 2, 2013 at 11:19 am

Epic post, Julia! I spent all day yesterday exploring links and pinning dream houses. My poor husband finally got tired of waiting for dinner and grilled up some chicken, a win for everyone!

hookedonhouses December 2, 2013 at 11:22 am

Ha. Sounds like the best kind of day to me! :)

SteamboatsMyHome December 2, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Just shocking what you can get for your money. Location is sure a huge determinate on value.

Aria@TheUglyBarnFarm December 2, 2013 at 1:17 pm

The Historic Georgian Mansion in Pennsylvania is my favorite….
when you find a particular house you really like, does anyone else find themselves lingering on each and every room photo, analyzing it and imagining what you would do differently, or what of your own personal belongings you would place there? Or am I just a weirdo?
After 20 (probably longer) minutes, I have got the Georgian all done-up and ready for move-in, LOL!

hookedonhouses December 2, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Yes! I do that all the time, so I’m going to say you’re NOT a weirdo, Aria. :)

Alie B December 2, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Wow, did you save the best for last! That Vancouver property is absolutely gorgeous! I know that most of us could never afford it, but it’s fun to look anyhow. I like the Nantucket house a whole lot as well. That waterfront is to die for! Thanks for such an interesting assortment of listings, Julia. I think it could be referred to, rather than a sampler, as a buffet (as someone suggested) or even a cornucopia of listings! :-)

hookedonhouses December 2, 2013 at 4:37 pm

“Cornucopia” would have been perfect so close to Thanksgiving. Wish I’d thought of that! Ha.

Signe December 2, 2013 at 4:31 pm

I almost had a heart attack when I saw your first house on the list- the Sacramento Colonial. My Aunt owned this house 30 years ago- it was wonderful then, and so perfect now. What a great experience seeing it again! thanks so much,
Signe Curtis

hookedonhouses December 2, 2013 at 4:36 pm

No way! That’s amazing that it was in your family, Signe. Small world! :)

Patience December 3, 2013 at 6:01 am

Great selections in this post! I love downtown living, so the Minneapolis one is really interesting. The decor is great, but not my style, but it has so much potential.

Jennifer I. December 3, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Hello Vancouver!!!! I need to win the lottery so I can buy that house….going to buy a ticket!

hookedonhouses December 3, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Crossing my fingers for you, Jennifer! :)

Katie December 3, 2013 at 11:44 pm

I was watching 1991 movie called “All I want for Christmas” with Lauren Becall and an eight year old Thora Birch. The Grandmother’s house is beautiful. Could you do a review on it?

threadbndr December 4, 2013 at 12:31 pm

There are a LOT of lovely, large houses at very good prices here in the midwest. The problem with houses like the Independence one is that they are usually in places where the job market isn’t stellar.

I need to be a woman of independent means LOL!

Gur December 5, 2013 at 3:56 pm

I’m in love with the Colonial Revival’s entry windows. I wonder if they are original? Signe?. I’ll keep an eye for an open house and take a visit — I’d hate to get my Realtor into a froth by requesting a viewing. The only thing I don’t like is the kitchen, especially when compared to the original built-ins in the adjoining spaces.

And that ceiling in that Kansas foursquare dining room — can I just lift that whole house up and move it to me?

hookedonhouses December 5, 2013 at 4:25 pm