One thing my daughter Lily always enjoys at this time of year is our tradition of baking butter cookies in the shapes of fall leaves (that’s her working on a batch last year). When she came home from school with a paper she’d written called “Why I Like Autumn,” it was fun to see what else she likes about the season.
The simple things are what make a season memorable. Sometimes I spend so much time rushing around this time of year, trying to get everything done, that I don’t take enough time to appreciate the beauty of the season.
My daughter’s perspective often reminds me to slow down and enjoy things like how good hot chocolate tastes on a chilly day — not to mention how nice it is that there “aren’t as many bugs!”
Here are a few things I’m looking forward to this season…
- Pulling my favorite sweaters out of storage.
- Sitting by the fire in the evenings with my dog Maizie curled up next to me.
- Catching up with returning TV faves (Scandal, anyone?).
- Candy corn and M&Ms, a weird combination I can’t resist.
- Watching my view of the woods change day by day in my sunroom.
- Re-reading Jane Eyre — perfect on a cool, rainy weekend.
- I like to revisit Thornfield Hall from the 2006 miniseries each fall, too.
- Seeing some of the over-the-top Halloween decorations my neighbors come up with.
- Pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin cheesecake, need I go on?
- And this year, the #1 thing I’m looking forward to is having my son home from college for his fall break. Can’t wait to see him! 🙂
What would make your list of favorite fall things?
Click here to see more of my house, including…