One thing my daughter Lily always enjoys at this time of year is our tradition of baking butter cookies in the shapes of fall leaves (that’s her working on a batch last year). When she came home from school with a paper she’d written called “Why I Like Autumn,” it was fun to see what else she likes about the season.
The simple things are what make a season memorable. Sometimes I spend so much time rushing around this time of year, trying to get everything done, that I don’t take enough time to appreciate the beauty of the season.
My daughter’s perspective often reminds me to slow down and enjoy things like how good hot chocolate tastes on a chilly day — not to mention how nice it is that there “aren’t as many bugs!”
Here are a few things I’m looking forward to this season…
- Pulling my favorite sweaters out of storage.
- Sitting by the fire in the evenings with my dog Maizie curled up next to me.
- Catching up with returning TV faves (Scandal, anyone?).
- Candy corn and M&Ms, a weird combination I can’t resist.
- Watching my view of the woods change day by day in my sunroom.
- Re-reading Jane Eyre — perfect on a cool, rainy weekend.
- I like to revisit Thornfield Hall from the 2006 miniseries each fall, too.
- Seeing some of the over-the-top Halloween decorations my neighbors come up with.
- Pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin cheesecake, need I go on?
- And this year, the #1 thing I’m looking forward to is having my son home from college for his fall break. Can’t wait to see him!
What would make your list of favorite fall things?
Click here to see more of my house, including…