These Are a Few of My Favorite Fall Things…

Lily bakes butter cookies for fall sm

One thing my daughter Lily always enjoys at this time of year is our tradition of baking butter cookies in the shapes of fall leaves (that’s her working on a batch last year). When she came home from school with a paper she’d written called “Why I Like Autumn,” it was fun to see what else she likes about the season.

A list of Lily's favorite fall things

The simple things are what make a season memorable. Sometimes I spend so much time rushing around this time of year, trying to get everything done, that I don’t take enough time to appreciate the beauty of the season.

My daughter’s perspective often reminds me to slow down and enjoy things like how good hot chocolate tastes on a chilly day — not to mention how nice it is that there “aren’t as many bugs!”

Lily and Maizie in their matching Halloween shirts 12

Here are a few things I’m looking forward to this season…

• Pulling my favorite sweaters out of storage.
  • Sitting by the fire in the evenings with my dog Maizie curled up next to me.
  • Catching up with returning TV faves (Scandal, anyone?).
  • Candy corn and M&Ms, a weird combination I can’t resist.
  • Watching my view of the woods change day by day in my sunroom.
  • Re-reading Jane Eyreperfect on a cool, rainy weekend.
  • I like to revisit Thornfield Hall from the 2006 miniseries each fall, too.
  • Seeing some of the over-the-top Halloween decorations my neighbors come up with.
  • Pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin cheesecake, need I go on?
  • And this year, the #1 thing I’m looking forward to is having my son home from college for his fall break. Can’t wait to see him! :-)

What would make your list of favorite fall things?

Julia-simple teal signature

Click here to see more of my house, including…

Fall in Julia's Sunroom

Decorating My House for Fall

Finding Fall bloggers home tour Hooked on Houses
Hi there! I'm excited to be one of the 16 bloggers participating in the Finding Fall Home Tours. A little nervous, too -- have you…
Christmas movie mystery tree
Do you watch the same movies every December and feel like you know the houses in them by heart? I do! Let's see how many…

• says

I was really disappointed with them! I’m like you…LOVE candy corn and m&m’s. So much so that I may or may not have done a little happy dance in the checkout at Target when I spotted them.

They’re not terrible, but they don’t taste like candy corn. They’re white chocolate, and VERY sweet. I bet they’d be good in cookies with actual candy corn, though!

I would spend as much time in your sunroom as possible, too. :) I’m in the middle of a bathroom makeover, but decided I need to take a break at some point today to take my dog on a walk and bake something for my boys when they get home from school. You’ve got to make room for the little things!

Now I feel all warm and cozy and want to bake some cookies! :)
    My favorite thing about fall has always been Halloween night because trick-or-treating was always an excuse to peek into other people’s homes!

Hi Julia,
    Both you and your daughter mentioned wonderful things about fall! Children really go straight to the heart of things, don’t they?
    I used to love making sugar cookies with my mom! And they have so many great shapes now for the cookie cutters!

My favorite thing about fall is the colors of the leaves changing and the cooler weather, and delicious smelling candles!

I saw the candy corn M&M’s that Julie is talking about in Target just recently! I think my daughter would love them since she can flat put away some candy corn. (Perhaps I should mail some to her while she is away at college.) Enjoy the fall break with your college son! :)
    Love all the things you named too..especially pumpkin cheesecake. Yum!

5. Alie B says

Julia, what sweet things for you to share. Your daughter is adorable and I’m happy your son will soon be joining you as well. Fall is a beautiful and much underrated time of year. I love moderate weather and enjoy as much of it outdoors as possible. It won’t be long until we’re writing about snow and dreariness once again. Jane Eyre is my favorite novel of all time. Great post. Happy Autumn to all!

6. laney says

…oh julia…what a treasure is lily…you are building a legacy of memories for your children…and that truly is what home is all about…such a joy to come to your blog…and each time leave with a joyful heart…thank you (and all your sweet commenters)…blessings laney

7. Sil says

As always, wonderful commentary and pics. Your daughter is lovely and speaks well the thoughts so many of us once expressed and so often need a young person to bring back those memories. After living in the Hilton Head Island area and missing out on true fall weather and colors, moving back home to Michigan this past summer had me looking forward to so many things, digging out sweaters and jackets, wearing my favorite boots with jeans or corduroy’s, decorating the front porch with pumpkins and corn stalks, letting dinner simmer in the crockpot all day! So many good things I have back now, but mostly I’m grateful I’m back close to my kids (grown, but still!).

8. Laura says

Great post! I love fall too. Halloween is fun, but Thanksgiving is my very favorite. Family, cooking yummy things, crisp fall weather. I love to look at the changing leaves, sit by a fire inside or out, make stews and roasts, wear cozy sweaters and scarves, drink a cup of tea or some delicious red wine and read a good book, eat honeycrisp apples. I could go on. Fall is wonderful, and I’ll enjoy it even more when I retire from teaching!

9. Terri says

My favorite Fall thing is turning off the air conditioning! I live in Florida! I look forward to turkey leftovers the day after Thanksgiving! Great post! Your little one is precious!

10. Linda says

Starting with Gilmore Girls, you have gotten me hooked on so many series. I esp. Love the old 17th century ones. I have a list if you want it that is on Netflix and Amazon. Worth joining Prime Amazon. I have looked for Thornfield Hall. HELP!

I have many favorite Fall memories with you, and your gorgeous house and its cozy decorations are just one of them! (Love Maizie’s costume. What’s she going as this year? :) )

• says

Well, we tried a couple of different costumes, but she really doesn’t like anything that touches her head and tries to shake them off. Not sure what we’ll end up with.

Want to go trick-or-treating with us again, Beth? Come on over! :)

12. Lara says

Hi Julia – I just wanted to say congratulations on the mention in Real Simple as a blog to watch. I’ve really enjoyed reading your blog and hopefully this will bring even more viewers your way.

13. KayJay says

This has got to be one of my all-time favorite posts on your blog! Wonder why? 😀 Loved Lily’s list!!!

14. Becky says

Lily’s “What I Like About Fall” is darling-save that one for sure!

15. Nancy says

Love your post, Fall is my absolute favorite time of year! May I ask what type of dog you have, we are thinking of taking the plunge…Thank you!

• says

Maizie is a Shih-Tzu. We adopted her from a rescue group a couple of years ago. She was badly injured and had to have some surgeries but now she’s doing great. My kids named her “the Amazing Maizie” because she survived her ordeal and is such a sweet-tempered little thing. It’s hard to remember what we ever did without her. :)

• Nancy says

She is so cute!! We are just beginning the process of researching different breeds. How lucky is Maizie to have been rescued by your family. I really enjoy your posts and look forward to reading them with my cup of tea:). Happy Fall! Also, thank you for your quick response.

16. Erin says

Fall is my favorite season. Today I’m making potato soup; comfort foods are a definite favorite during this season. Jane Eyre is also a long-time favorite. I remember reading the book as a teenager, and I’ve read it multiple times since. I even love the old black & white version with Orson Wells and Joan Fountaine! I hadn’t thought about it in awhile. I’m off to check Netflix and to see if they’ve got the miniseries so I can re-watch it!

17. Dean says

Your daughter’s list is so cute and funny. Love it. Love Halloween as well.
    Which brings me to a confession: When I look at houses, one of the first things I do is visualize how I would decorate it for Halloween. Crazy I know, but I can’t help it. I don’t think I will ever outgrow my Halloween mania. :-)

You’ll have to tell Lily that I actually just made cut out butter cookies in the shape of leaves earlier tonight! They are my husband’s favorite! :-) And like you, Julia, I love all things pumpkin and watching the leaves change. Enjoy having Jake home again!

19. Kim says

Great post! I always look forward with fall, the leaves changing colors (my house is surrounded by trees so I get to enjoy fall around me), homemade soups, dressing up for Halloween, Thanksgiving, lighted fires in my family’s fire pit, and the smell of peoples burning fireplaces. I don’t have a fireplace so I always look forward to the smell of smoke from chimneys.

I loved Lily’s list and I agree with her on the bugs. It is so nice to not have to put up with mosquitoes in the fall and winter.

20. Beth says

Love Jane Eyre too but can’t get my family to watch any of the film adaptations with me. Maybe my kids might complain less about school if they could compare it with the horrible boarding school where poor Jane was sent? Such a great story, I love Jane’s moxie :)

First of all, yes to all of the items on your daughter’s list, but especially “not as many bugs”. Adorable! Second, yes to Jane Eyre and my favorite BBC version with Toby Stephens! Third, pumpkin everything! And finally, can’t wait to see my college son when he comes home next month! Great post, Julia!

22. Judy Jennings says

First of all, I wish that Beth WERE home to go trick-or-treating with you. Rats! Second, how did Lily grow up so fast, and how can Jake be in college? Really, how? Seems like yesterday that I was sitting on my couch crying because Beth had gone off (though you girls were having fun out there on your own). Third, I’m thankful that I do NOT have asthma, because my favorite fall thing is the smell of woodsmoke–that gets me most–love it. And last, I could MOVE to your sun room forever, move right in, because it’s so cozy and your view with all those trees is beautiful. Perfect. Packing up now….tell Lily to have some cookies ready!????

Your list sounds wonderful, Julia! October is our busiest month, and I need a reminder to stop and enjoy the season. Lily is really growing up! 😀