Home Tour: Melaine’s Lovely Lake House

by hookedonhouses on September 12, 2013

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake HouseWelcome to Melaine’s lake house outside Seattle, Washington. I’ve been a fan of her blog My Sweet Savannah for a long time and was excited when she offered to give you a tour of her beautiful home. Come on in!

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (4)

Melaine is a self-taught decorator who started blogging as a way of showcasing her hand-painted furniture and signs.

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (25)

She describes her style as “traditional with a cottage/vintage twist. I like mixing old and new.”

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (21)

“Ever since I was a little girl I dreamed of creating beautiful spaces. Even before I started grade school I was rearranging my bedroom on my own.”

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (24)

“My mom would drag me around to garage sales and thrift stores, and now I am doing the same with my kids.”

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (44)

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (13)

You can catch a glimpse of the lake outside the dining room windows:

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (23)

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (22)

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (8)

Melaine says the family room is her favorite place in the house because it’s a comfy gathering spot for her family.

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (16)

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (35)

I think every lake house needs a stone fireplace…

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (15)

Her son’s bedroom:

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (3)

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (20)

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (2)

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (43)

The master bedroom:

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (38)

She loves dark gray and says the paint color Seal by Martha Stewart is a good one. She also likes Ralph Lauren’s Oatmeal because “It’s a warm off-white, a good neutral.”

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (39)

Barn doors in the bedroom:

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (37)

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (17)

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (12)

A cozy nook in the hallway:

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (27)

Looking into the kitchen:

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (36)

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (32)

A chalkboard calendar in the kitchen:

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (28)

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (31)

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (9)

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (30)

Another view of the lake from the kitchen window:

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (7)

I love how warm this kitchen looks.

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (14)

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (29)

Melaine is Market Editor for Souvenir, a lifestyle magazine. She was interviewed by Stacey at Steward of Design if you want to learn more about her.

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (6)

Most of these gorgeous photos were taken by Christine at Trimood Photography. Thanks to Melaine for sharing them with us. Visit her beautiful blog My Sweet Savannah to see more!

My Sweet Savannah Melaine's Lake House tour (42)

P.S. Just a reminder that I try to keep my corner of the Internet a friendly place where the conversation about houses is positive and polite. Thanks! :)

Julia-simple teal signature

Hooked on House Tours? Click here to see more, including…

New House Inspired by Old French Country Cottages

{ 47 comments… read them below or add one }

Kay @ redbirdv.wordpress.com September 12, 2013 at 6:32 am

Of course, I’m loving all the vintage! This gal certainly has an eye for detail; I’ve pinned several of her vignettes for inspiration. Oh, + I’m going to need to order that pair of wooden lamp bases from Target. :-)
KAY @ redbirdv.wordpress.com

Maddie May September 12, 2013 at 6:57 am

This lake house has me hooked. I love the soft muted neutrals as they are my absolute favorite color combination. The details throughout this home are just right & add the character & charm that truly makes this home unique. I am in love with this home.

Beth C. September 12, 2013 at 7:15 am

Wow! Aaaaamazing!

Jennah September 12, 2013 at 7:29 am

Ahhhh-bsolutely stunning! I’ve spent more of my morning then I should have just gazing at the photos of this lovely home. Oh to be able to sink into that sofa and gaze out at the lake or sit at the island witha cup of tea! So many warm and personal touches! Thank you for sharing, Julia!

House Crazy Sarah September 12, 2013 at 8:02 am

Wow – so much to look at! So much to love! This is just magical! I’m hopping over to check out her blog!!

KimberlyRose September 12, 2013 at 8:03 am

Beautiful, especially the kitchen. Would have loved to see a bigger pic of the outside of the house.

Melaine Thompson September 12, 2013 at 8:11 am

Thank you everyone for your sweet comments , I am honored to be featured here! xoxo, Melaine

Kelly September 12, 2013 at 8:18 am

Beautiful home, love the style of decor and the open feel!

Kelly September 12, 2013 at 8:42 am

LOVE it! Going to check out her blog now.

Stacey September 12, 2013 at 8:57 am

Melaine’s home is so comfy and pretty. She’s constantly surprising me with all her great craft ideas as well.
Thank you Julia for sharing my link of my interview with her!

Lynn September 12, 2013 at 9:07 am

The words stenciled in the kitchen skylight are fabulous!!!!

Erin September 12, 2013 at 9:32 am

Wow! I love how immediately inviting and cozy her home appears. I think I could easily become a great hermit if I had a home like that. I would never want to leave!

Gee September 12, 2013 at 9:56 am

Beautiful!!! I am going back for another peek at the luvly kitchen.
Thanks for the tour Julia and for allowing me to wander through Melaine.

DeeDee September 12, 2013 at 10:09 am

Wow, wow, and wow. I totally love this place. Every detail is well thought out and makes such a cohesive, warm and inviting space. Sit and stay a spell?….heck no, you’d have to kick me out! Nicely done, Melaine and thanks SO much for sharing this Julia.

Greta September 12, 2013 at 10:24 am

Lovely! Very relaxing, and looks likes real people can l live and love there. Love to see what the gardens look like too. Please do tell, what are the kitchen counters made of?

Rebecca C September 12, 2013 at 10:31 am

I love this house! It’s comfortable and cozy and everything I’d love to have in mine. Thanks for sharing this one. I have to go check out her blog now.

Cheryl September 12, 2013 at 10:32 am

Gr8 job! So many inspirations. I am a certified home staging consultant. I have a lake home as well. It’s a small cabin, only 800 sq ft but I staged it to sleep 10. I love lake living. Nothing like waking up in the morning to the calm water and watching sunsets. Your home is divine! Cheryl

jodi September 12, 2013 at 10:38 am

I’ve been a Sweet Savannah follower for quite some time. Absolutely my favorite blog ever. Love everything about your home Melanie!

Lisa September 12, 2013 at 10:49 am

I am a fan of your blog. I love all your posts. We learn so so much from you. And this house is truly a work of art.
So lovely!
xoxo
Lisa
Leeshideaway.blogspot.com

Carol Hake September 12, 2013 at 11:05 am

Amazing! I LOVE the colors! Someday, when I’m a grown up and I don’t have a dirty mechanic for a husband and dogs with muddy feet, I’ll live in a place like this! Hey, one can dream can’t they?

Julie September 12, 2013 at 11:20 am

I love everything about this house! Fabulous job!

Pat September 12, 2013 at 11:28 am

Absolutely beautiful! So warm and welcoming as well as great details ~

I’m a new follower and appreciate your sharing her home!

Pat

Lisa September 12, 2013 at 11:35 am

Melanie’s home has always been my absolute favorite!!!

Jim Thomas September 12, 2013 at 11:36 am

The home looks very nice, and I like seeing the wine frig right when I look into the kitchen.

Meg@OliverandRust September 12, 2013 at 12:25 pm

i have followed my sweet savannah for quite some time but this was great to see the way the rooms flow into one another giving a better idea of layout. her home always looks fabulous and interesting.

Marie September 12, 2013 at 12:36 pm

I have been following your blog for some time Julia – myself and some of my friends here in Ireland love the wonderful variety of homes you feature. I have to say this is one of my all time favourites. It shows how well neutrals can work without looking bland – and how a little touch of industrial chic works so well in a family home. Love it all :) Marie

Marm September 12, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I love this house. True love.

Lori Homeyer September 12, 2013 at 2:40 pm

What a beautiful home … you have inspired me! Love the colors. Love the vintage. What is there NOT to LOVE about this home?? Thank you for sharing it with us.

tara September 12, 2013 at 4:41 pm

love her home..it’s one of my favorites in the blogosphere.
she’s a remarkably talented girl!

missgulfsouth September 12, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Thank you so much for featuring my brand new house, Julia! Turns out Melaine couldn’t keep up with it anymore, so I took it off of her hands. Wasn’t that nice of me? I even offered to take it furnished. You know, to save her money on moving costs and all. By the way, party this Saturday – 8:00 pm……….everyone’s invited!
WOOOHOOO!!! Love my new house………. ;)

hookedonhouses September 12, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Count me in — I’ll be there right at 8! Ha.

Esther George September 12, 2013 at 6:08 pm

WOW Julia how dreamy is this home. I told myself only one coffee today but after this beauty I need another one it’s my only vice + chocolate. Thank you for sharing you have made my day, have a lovely weekend. Regards Esther from Sydney.

antiquechase September 12, 2013 at 6:44 pm

LOVE Melanie’s blog and her house are beyond charming! How wonderful it must be to call it home!! Her style is warm and inviting and full of treasures!! Marcy

jep September 12, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Thanks Julia, this is one of those homes that just says “Come in and be comfortable” to me. Great job Melaine!

Sara@Finessie September 12, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Wow Melaine! What a lovely surprise to see this in my facebook feed. Your home is just beautiful! And yet another surprise to know you are the talented designer behind ” My Sweet Savannah”. Well done! Of course, the best surprise was seeing you and Rosalie again after all these years! <3

chelsea September 12, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Wow, so many creative ideas! This is such a beautiful and comfortable house – lovely!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com September 13, 2013 at 8:16 am

What an lovely and comfy place.

cecile delouvrier September 13, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Wow!!! what a wonderful, warm, cosy, charming, enchanted (…) house! I could spend my holidays (and more) there! Melaine has such a sense for decoration! I LOVE the place! thanx for sharing!

Mindy September 15, 2013 at 3:01 pm

I have been following Melanie’s blog for some time now and am so happy to see her beautiful home here! She provides such great inspiration.

Jenni September 15, 2013 at 3:30 pm

I usually prefer colourful houses but this one was just so warm and cosy looking! I am loving the dark grey and the chalkboard wall!!

The Yellow Cape Cod September 15, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Melaine’s home is absolutely beautiful. I have followed her blog for years but haven’t seen some of these gorgeous photos. Thanks for sharing!

The Ugly Barn Farm September 16, 2013 at 1:54 pm

The colors are very relaxing. The kitchen is my favorite….it looks like the perfect spot to gather with family and friends to cook, chat and hangout.
Beautiful spot too, with a view of a lake!

Rachel September 17, 2013 at 10:53 am

I’m in love. I think I should just bookmark this because I can’t pick just one or two to pin. :)

Javi September 18, 2013 at 10:16 am

Georgeous home! Where did you get the sign over the bed (loved you then)?

hookedonhouses September 18, 2013 at 3:12 pm

You might want to check Melaine’s blog to see if she mentions it. I have a feeling she made it herself, though! :-)

Alie B September 18, 2013 at 10:16 am

Thanks for this bit of eye candy. You’ve made me feel like I’m at the cottage! :-)

traceykinohio January 31, 2014 at 11:54 pm

Totally in love with this place!!! I have no words.