A Colorful Cottage on Tybee Island

Jane Coslick Cottage on the Green Tybee front door

Tybee Island in Georgia has so many colorful little houses that I love looking through the listings for that area. When someone asked if I’d ever been to Tybee, I started to say, “Yes!” But then I remembered it was only in my dreams. Darnit. Here’s one that charmed me — a colorful beach rental called “Cottage on the Green.”

Jane Coslick Cottage on the Green Tybee (14)

The house originally served as soldiers’ quarters during the Spanish-American War. I have a feeling it wasn’t as colorful — or as comfortable — back then!

Jane Coslick Cottage on the Green Tybee (22)

It was decorated by Jane Coslick, who has a knack for mixing new and vintage, and who never shies away from bright color. She’s transformed so many beach cottages that she should be called the Cottage Whisperer.

Jane Coslick Cottage on the Green Tybee (11)

Jane Coslick Cottage on the Green Tybee (2)

Jane Coslick Cottage on the Green Tybee (17)

The cottage features original art from local artists.

Jane Coslick Cottage on the Green Tybee (28)

Jane Coslick Cottage on the Green Tybee (15)

The Jenny Lind beds in “azure” are from Land of Nod. How fun are they?

Jane Coslick Cottage on the Green Tybee (31)

There’s even a sleeping porch for those balmy summer nights on the island…

Jane Coslick Cottage on the Green Tybee (27)

This is only one side of the charming two-unit vacation rental. For more photos and information, visit Homeaway here and here. Also be sure to check out designer Jane Coslick’s blog where she talks about the projects she’s currently working on.

Jane Coslick Cottage on the Green Tybee (7)

P.S. Visit Cottages to see more, including…

Mary-Kay-Andrews-Breeze-Inn

Novelist Mary Kay Andrews’ Breeze Inn

Ted Danson Mary Steenburgen Guest Cottage Ojai 525
Actors Ted Danson and Mary Steenburgen say they needed a small guest house on their property in Ojai, California, as a place to not only…
DIY Blog Cabin Beach Retreat NC 2013 BEFORE
Have you followed along with the DIY Network's Blog Cabin project as they remodeled this old cottage on the water in Atlantic, North Carolina? They're…

Comments

• missy says

How funny!! I am CONSTANTLY stalking Tybee Island! It is our VERY favorite place to vacation and where we hope to retire!!! I am SO glad I’m not the only one who does this. LOL!!!

1. Donna says

I have stayed at several of Jane’s cottages… and they look exactly like the photos! I love Tybee and I hope to some how, some day make myself a permanent part of the community! I am so glad that I can get from the upstate of SC down there several times a year.

2. Amber says

Tybee is such a cool, laid-back place. We go for a week every summer. I’ll have to check out the site for Mermaid Cottages and plan our next vacation… :)

Oh, this one is perfect, Julia! What a dream!!!

There’s only one thing missing there: MYSELF!!! :-) I really love this place!

Let’s start packing!!!

Have a blessed week, my friend!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

This is such a cute little cottage! I love the white with the bright accent colors! Thank you for the tour, I really enjoyed it!

I want that kitchen sink. I want it bad. I’ll take the cute little fabric skirt in the cabinet below, too.

• GemmaMae says

I thought the same thing! I’m a sucker for farmhouse sinks.

6. Teresa says

We loved Tybee Island when we visited in late May. We actually booked through Mermaid Cottages and stayed at “Fishtail Cottage” which is one of the cottages that Jane revamped and decorated. It has been featured in several magazines and books. We rode bikes all around the island taking pictures of some of our favorite cottages. Wish we would have been there for the Island House Tour.

Adorable! Of course it’s Jane Coslick! Had to laugh, because I too dream that I have been to Tybee Island…. Am a HUGE Mary Kay Andrews fan. Thanks for sharing Julia. Will share this week on our fb page –

I’ve spent too much time on Mermaid Cottages too :) It’s a given that eventually we’ll make our way down there too. Love the colors – gives it such a happy vibe!

9. Julia says

We have also had the pleasure of using Mermaid Cottages on Tybee for the last two years. We stay at “Crabby Joe’s” and we love it. Our daughter is a student at Savannah Colllege of Art and Design, alas it is her final year so this may have to go on the back burner for a while. This cottage featured is adorable. I can highly recommend Tybee/Savannah as a vacation destination and also Mermaid Cottages!

Thanks so much for the great and kind post . I love this cottage . I love being called the cottage wisperer…love love love. May I quote you . You re a wonderful writer!!!

11. Evelyn Kelly says

Thanks so much Julia,
    This is my cottage and I’m so happy to see it posted on your website. Jane was so wonderful to work with and is the most creative person I’ve ever met. I am so happy with everything she did it was so much fun!
    Thanks again for showcasing my little duplex cottage.
    Evelyn

12. Kim says

What a charming place. I love the bright colors. They make the cottage look nice and cheery.

The vintage black wicker settee purchased at my shop online, is soo lovely in Evelyn’s kitchen. Jane you do beautiful work!!

14. MissFifi says

I think I need to move there. A sleeping porch is just such a romantic idea.

I am also enchanted with these colorful cottages and have done a few on the blog too. I haven’t seen any other rentals that beckons one to stay there on vacation as much as these Mermaid cottages do. Here’s to Tybee!

16. Wendy says

That is so cute I just can’t STAND it! I love small spaces bathed in light.

17. Esther George says

I don’t want to rent, I want to stay permanently. This is so pretty. Hi Julia thank you for sharing this happy place. Regards Esther from Sydney.

18. Lynn says

Long time visitor and fan of tybee and mermaid cottages! In a way I hate to say it bc shhhhhh… It’s a secret! Word is getting out about this wonderful place , hopefully it keeps its not too touristy laid back charm! Just the way we true beach goers like it!

I love cottages, but why so many not for sale? I’m at a point in my life I need a home and not a temporary abode..Even a cottage, cabin or bungalow with a small to medium sized barn would be good..Surely somewhere there’s a soul home for me in this large world..tired of city noises and noisy neighbors, time for some quiet so I cam work in peace..

Such pretty rooms in an adorable cottage! I have never been to Tybee but would love to go! If I had a house like that, I would definitely do all those bright colors – so great for the beach!
    -Shelley

21. Sandy says

Love this cottage and Jane Costlick’s style. I recognized it right away. I’ve been to Tybee Island twice and finally stayed on the Island last March. We stayed at the Beach-view Inn. Tybee is a small cozy and charming island. I hope it stays this way for many years. The millionaires are beginning to move in and build their huge mansions which will raise taxes and make the island not affordable to those that currently live there. It’s becoming even more popular with all the magazine features and mentions on blogs. Let’s hope it will remain charming for years to come. It reminds me of a beach town from the 1960’s.