A Colorful Cottage on Tybee Island

by hookedonhouses on September 9, 2013

Jane Coslick Cottage on the Green Tybee front doorTybee Island in Georgia has so many colorful little houses that I love looking through the listings for that area. When someone asked if I’d ever been to Tybee, I started to say, “Yes!” But then I remembered it was only in my dreams. Darnit. Here’s one that charmed me — a colorful beach rental called “Cottage on the Green.”

Jane Coslick Cottage on the Green Tybee (14)

The house originally served as soldiers’ quarters during the Spanish-American War. I have a feeling it wasn’t as colorful — or as comfortable — back then!

Jane Coslick Cottage on the Green Tybee (22)

It was decorated by Jane Coslick, who has a knack for mixing new and vintage, and who never shies away from bright color. She’s transformed so many beach cottages that she should be called the Cottage Whisperer.

Jane Coslick Cottage on the Green Tybee (11)

Jane Coslick Cottage on the Green Tybee (2)

Jane Coslick Cottage on the Green Tybee (17)

The cottage features original art from local artists.

Jane Coslick Cottage on the Green Tybee (28)

Jane Coslick Cottage on the Green Tybee (15)

The Jenny Lind beds in “azure” are from Land of Nod. How fun are they?

Jane Coslick Cottage on the Green Tybee (31)

There’s even a sleeping porch for those balmy summer nights on the island…

Jane Coslick Cottage on the Green Tybee (27)

This is only one side of the charming two-unit vacation rental. For more photos and information, visit Mermaid Cottages (a site I’m on more than I’d like to admit!) to see both Unit A and Unit B. Also be sure to check out designer Jane Coslick’s blog where she talks about the projects she’s currently working on.

Jane Coslick Cottage on the Green Tybee (7)

Hooked on Cottages? Click here to see more, including one of my Tybee Island faves…

Mary-Kay-Andrews-Breeze-Inn

Novelist Mary Kay Andrews’ Breeze Inn

{ 40 comments… read them below or add one }

tricia @ littlecottageonthepond September 9, 2013 at 6:49 am

It is my dream to live there one day :) I am OBSESSED with Jane and her cottages- I’m on that site way too often as well!

hookedonhouses September 9, 2013 at 7:14 am

Glad I’m not the only one! Ha.

Jonia September 13, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Absolutely with you ladies on that!! A dream come true

missy September 14, 2013 at 10:20 pm

How funny!! I am CONSTANTLY stalking Tybee Island! It is our VERY favorite place to vacation and where we hope to retire!!! I am SO glad I’m not the only one who does this. LOL!!!

Donna September 9, 2013 at 7:24 am

I have stayed at several of Jane’s cottages… and they look exactly like the photos! I love Tybee and I hope to some how, some day make myself a permanent part of the community! I am so glad that I can get from the upstate of SC down there several times a year.

Amber September 9, 2013 at 7:51 am

Tybee is such a cool, laid-back place. We go for a week every summer. I’ll have to check out the site for Mermaid Cottages and plan our next vacation… :)

Luciane at HomeBunch.com September 9, 2013 at 7:58 am

Oh, this one is perfect, Julia! What a dream!!!

There’s only one thing missing there: MYSELF!!! :-) I really love this place!

Let’s start packing!!!

Have a blessed week, my friend!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Tammy September 9, 2013 at 8:01 am

This is such a cute little cottage! I love the white with the bright accent colors! Thank you for the tour, I really enjoyed it!

Laura September 9, 2013 at 8:15 am

Adorable! Perfect for a rental.

Joanna September 9, 2013 at 8:23 am

I want that kitchen sink. I want it bad. I’ll take the cute little fabric skirt in the cabinet below, too.

GemmaMae September 10, 2013 at 5:42 pm

I thought the same thing! I’m a sucker for farmhouse sinks.

missgulfsouth September 9, 2013 at 9:31 am

MY MY MY…………LOVE IT!!! <3

Teresa September 9, 2013 at 10:31 am

We loved Tybee Island when we visited in late May. We actually booked through Mermaid Cottages and stayed at “Fishtail Cottage” which is one of the cottages that Jane revamped and decorated. It has been featured in several magazines and books. We rode bikes all around the island taking pictures of some of our favorite cottages. Wish we would have been there for the Island House Tour.

Caron White September 9, 2013 at 10:32 am

Adorable! Of course it’s Jane Coslick! Had to laugh, because I too dream that I have been to Tybee Island…. Am a HUGE Mary Kay Andrews fan. Thanks for sharing Julia. Will share this week on our fb page -

House Crazy Sarah September 9, 2013 at 11:02 am

Adorable! And oh so sweet! Love those Tybee Island cuties!

Lynn Minnick September 9, 2013 at 11:17 am

I’ve spent too much time on Mermaid Cottages too :) It’s a given that eventually we’ll make our way down there too. Love the colors – gives it such a happy vibe!

jep September 9, 2013 at 11:27 am

What a darling cottage! Putting this on my bucket!

Julia September 9, 2013 at 2:36 pm

We have also had the pleasure of using Mermaid Cottages on Tybee for the last two years. We stay at “Crabby Joe’s” and we love it. Our daughter is a student at Savannah Colllege of Art and Design, alas it is her final year so this may have to go on the back burner for a while. This cottage featured is adorable. I can highly recommend Tybee/Savannah as a vacation destination and also Mermaid Cottages!

karen September 9, 2013 at 2:56 pm

so cute!! i never get tired of seeing these cottages.

Diane September 9, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Ahoy, all!

Thank you for sharing our love of vintage cottages and Jane Coslick Design & Restorations! Come enjoy our cottage charm and coastal calm when you can! http://mermaidcottages.com

hookedonhouses September 9, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Thanks, Diane! :)

Jane Coslick September 9, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Thanks so much for the great and kind post . I love this cottage . I love being called the cottage wisperer…love love love. May I quote you . You re a wonderful writer!!!

hookedonhouses September 10, 2013 at 6:51 am

Absolutely! You are the Cottage Whisperer! I love your work. :)

Evelyn Kelly September 9, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Thanks so much Julia,
This is my cottage and I’m so happy to see it posted on your website. Jane was so wonderful to work with and is the most creative person I’ve ever met. I am so happy with everything she did it was so much fun!
Thanks again for showcasing my little duplex cottage.
Evelyn

hookedonhouses September 10, 2013 at 6:51 am

Nice to hear from you, Evelyn! I love your charming cottage.

Kim September 10, 2013 at 2:21 am

What a charming place. I love the bright colors. They make the cottage look nice and cheery.

poppy cottage September 10, 2013 at 7:43 am

The vintage black wicker settee purchased at my shop online, is soo lovely in Evelyn’s kitchen. Jane you do beautiful work!!

lisa@theDecorGirl September 10, 2013 at 7:45 am

So cute! Like a trip to the ice cream store, a happy place to live. :)

MissFifi September 10, 2013 at 8:10 am

I think I need to move there. A sleeping porch is just such a romantic idea.

Alie B September 10, 2013 at 8:19 am

Adorable!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com September 10, 2013 at 8:51 am

I love it! I need a trip there.

Sue September 10, 2013 at 1:36 pm

I am also enchanted with these colorful cottages and have done a few on the blog too. I haven’t seen any other rentals that beckons one to stay there on vacation as much as these Mermaid cottages do. Here’s to Tybee!

Wendy September 10, 2013 at 1:41 pm

That is so cute I just can’t STAND it! I love small spaces bathed in light.

Esther George September 11, 2013 at 5:35 pm

I don’t want to rent, I want to stay permanently. This is so pretty. Hi Julia thank you for sharing this happy place. Regards Esther from Sydney.

Lynn September 19, 2013 at 8:30 am

Long time visitor and fan of tybee and mermaid cottages! In a way I hate to say it bc shhhhhh… It’s a secret! Word is getting out about this wonderful place , hopefully it keeps its not too touristy laid back charm! Just the way we true beach goers like it!

Marta S. November 23, 2013 at 6:19 am

I love cottages, but why so many not for sale? I’m at a point in my life I need a home and not a temporary abode..Even a cottage, cabin or bungalow with a small to medium sized barn would be good..Surely somewhere there’s a soul home for me in this large world..tired of city noises and noisy neighbors, time for some quiet so I cam work in peace..

Marta S. November 23, 2013 at 6:20 am

Correction: That should read can, I don;t do that kind of work..:*(

Shelley @ Calypso in the Country February 5, 2014 at 10:18 am

Such pretty rooms in an adorable cottage! I have never been to Tybee but would love to go! If I had a house like that, I would definitely do all those bright colors – so great for the beach!
-Shelley

Sandy February 15, 2014 at 12:30 am

Love this cottage and Jane Costlick’s style. I recognized it right away. I’ve been to Tybee Island twice and finally stayed on the Island last March. We stayed at the Beach-view Inn. Tybee is a small cozy and charming island. I hope it stays this way for many years. The millionaires are beginning to move in and build their huge mansions which will raise taxes and make the island not affordable to those that currently live there. It’s becoming even more popular with all the magazine features and mentions on blogs. Let’s hope it will remain charming for years to come. It reminds me of a beach town from the 1960′s.

hookedonhouses February 15, 2014 at 8:53 am