How an Upstairs Landing Became a Book-Lover’s Library

by hookedonhouses on August 8, 2013

Eric Ross staircase landing makeover beforeDesigner Eric Ross says his client was downsizing from her previous home, so she didn’t really need new furniture or accessories. She just wanted to showcase some of her favorite things, like her books. Her new house has a large upstairs landing that wasn’t being used, so he turned it into a cozy library.

Eric Ross upstairs landing bookshelves AFTER

Be still, my book-loving heart. It almost makes me giddy. Here’s a closer look at the computer desks that were there before:

Eric Ross upstairs landing before 2

And the sitting area in the library now:

upstairs landing library sitting area

He says the newly redecorated home “reflects the client’s personal warmth and quiet elegance.” For more photos and a video that tells more about the project, visit Eric Ross Interiors.

I’m also loving this bedroom in her house, which looks like another cozy spot to read in…

Cooper Creek Lane bedroom

Hope you’ve been enjoying “Before & After Week” as much as I have. Come back tomorrow to see one more great makeover!

Click here to see more Before & Afters, including…

First-Floor Remodel by Eric Ross BEFORE

Another impressive makeover by Designer Eric Ross!

{ 46 comments… read them below or add one }

Maddie May August 8, 2013 at 8:09 am

Breathtaking. Absolutely one of the best transformations for such a wonderfully useful new purpose. Superb craftmanship & wonderful colors. The bedroom as well is very beautiful & tranquil. I am very impressed with the designer Eric Ross’ work.

Fwitzie August 8, 2013 at 2:18 pm

DITTO!!! just gorgeous!!

elle August 8, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Amen. Wow – it’s the perfect template for everything a home-library should be. Perfection!

Emma August 9, 2013 at 11:38 am

Make that 3 Yes votes, Maddie! I don’t see many spaces that make me drool -but this one certainly did. Extremely well done!

Superb transformation :)

bermudaonion (Kathy) August 8, 2013 at 8:10 am

I want that library!

Jonia August 8, 2013 at 8:21 am

Hummina, hummina, hummina :) What a fabulous room! I would choose something more beachy than romantic for décor. The window seat would have to stay for me and replace the window with a larger one or add one beside it if the construction wouldn’t allow. Nonetheless, it would indeed be a pleasure to spend any amount of time in that room!

Kay @ redbirdv.wordpress.com August 8, 2013 at 8:45 am

The 2 chairs facing each other with a shared ottoman is genius.
I pinned said-same, with hopes of replicating this in some future house.
TY for sharing.
K A Y

barbara August 8, 2013 at 7:40 pm

I agree whole heartily shared ottoman perfect!

Joanna August 8, 2013 at 8:50 am

I do really love this but the only thing I can think of is how unbelievably expensive that custom cabinetry must have been. It’s trimmed out beautifully.

Tessa August 8, 2013 at 8:55 am

Ohhhh happpppy sigh…….

Isn’t this marvelous??????????

Tessa~

Jody August 8, 2013 at 9:05 am

Best makeovers I have ever seen! What wonderful vision to create such welcoming luxurious spaces! Absolutely beautiful, and as a book lover – total heaven.
Glad I found your blog through Cote de Texas!

Linda P. August 8, 2013 at 9:21 am

I love this makeover! I wish I had a space like that just for me and my books :)

laney August 8, 2013 at 9:22 am

…absolutley wonderful…my favorite kind of interior…one beautifully filled with books…blessings laney

House Crazy Sarah August 8, 2013 at 9:30 am

Exquisite! The library looks like it has always been there! What a wonderful use of space!

Maggy August 8, 2013 at 9:44 am

Oh, Julia, what a gorgeous space! I want, I want, I want — I love everything about it! My one concern is that once I plopped down in one of those nice cozy chairs w/ a book, I’d be hard-pressed to ever leave!

Her bedroom is equally as lovely and inviting .. I’d love to see the rest of her home, wouldn’t you?

Such terrific posts lately; so sorry that I haven’t had the time to comment on them.. I love your small kitchen series, but I’m only about half-way through .. :- /

Maggy

Esther George August 8, 2013 at 9:52 am

Hi Julia it is 12.40 AM and I’m having a late night sitting here watching The Closer they always manage to throw a funny in their story, thought i’de drop in one more time before bedtime and you throw in this amazing makeover. I have library envy. Thank you for sharing this beauty. Till next time Good Morning, Good Evening and Good Night. Regards Esther from Sydney.

Pam August 8, 2013 at 9:53 am

If that’s the downsized house, I’d love to see what her previous house was like!

Catherine August 8, 2013 at 10:27 am

Ha ha, that is the first thought that popped in to my head as well!

Michelle August 8, 2013 at 11:28 am

That’s what I was thinking! House looks huge to me! But it is a very beautiful landing and what a great idea for an area that could end up being wasted space.

Carolyn August 9, 2013 at 9:03 am

Same thought here. Her idea of downsizing is totally different from mine. That bedroom is larger than my downsized living room (and I’m not talking about a formal one, but one you actually live in). Nice to have a library, though, and this is beautifully done. Gorgeous cabinetry and lovely decorating – a vast improvement on the before. I do note there’s a TV in there! Isn’t that cheating? Ha.

MissFifi August 18, 2013 at 2:24 pm

that is EXACTLY what I thought LOL Love that library!

Patty August 8, 2013 at 9:53 am

I love the library space. If that space were in my home it is where I would spend the majority of my time. I love reading and I love seeing my books just as much as reading them. I have an ipad and I read some books on there, but not many, I like to hold them in my hands and I like to look up at them years later and remember their stories. Thanks for sharing.
Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design

Nicole M August 8, 2013 at 10:12 am

Oh my goodness………..that is GORGEOUS. I just want to curl up in the chair and read one of my many favorite books. I love it. That bedroom is going to be my inspiration for our new house. THANK YOU again for putting my house on your blog. WOW tons of people have looked because of it.

hookedonhouses August 8, 2013 at 10:26 am

Oh, good. I love sending traffic to deserving houses like yours, Nicole! Best of luck with it! :)

Neesha August 8, 2013 at 10:13 am

Gorgeous I am sharing with a friend!

Nancy August 8, 2013 at 10:22 am

What a lovely room! I don’t think I would ever leave! Especially like the chairs with shared ottoman. Saw that in other rooms as well, so must be a favorite of the homeowner.

Have love the before and after week. Thank you!

Marta August 8, 2013 at 10:23 am

Wow! The library is incredible. The vision they had is incredible with that space. Thanks for sharing x

Catherine August 8, 2013 at 10:30 am

What I really love about this is that they really worked out how she could use that space for how she really wants to live. If it was me, I think I would have balked at ripping out perfectly good built-ins to change it. But, of course you should if you want to use the space differently. Brilliant. I would never leave that spot!

jen August 8, 2013 at 10:56 am

This is such a celever idea got to love it

Alanna S August 8, 2013 at 10:59 am

Total library envy happening here right NOW.
Gorgeous and an inspiration for my next house.

Jane Susan August 8, 2013 at 11:56 am

Gorgeous. Wouldn’t change a thing (& I would never leave the house either).

Nancy Hood August 8, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Oh.Wow!!! I could soooo live here :)

stef August 8, 2013 at 1:46 pm

It’s okay, I guess. Pretty much what any rich person can afford to have someone else decorate for them. But it doesn’t push any of my buttons.
the black iron railing ‘feels’ out of place. Jarring, somehow.

Nancy Hood August 8, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Another shout out, sweet friend. Your site is a neverending trip to fun reads :)

hookedonhouses August 8, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Thanks, Nancy!! :-)

snaggy August 8, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Want !

Jodie August 8, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Oh my goodness I am in love!! Absolutely STUNNING!!!!!!!!!! The bedroom looks so cozy european and feminine.

Kelly - Talk of the House August 8, 2013 at 3:33 pm

What an incredible job! It went from a builder’s grade house to a classic custom space. Not only is it a smart use, but it is just plain beautiful. I can’t resist bookshelves!

Kim August 8, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Wow that is absolutely stunning! I really love Eric Ross’s work. He is an amazing interior designer.

Laura August 8, 2013 at 4:00 pm

I dream of having a library. In mine I’d have a couple of old leather club chairs, a fireplace, an oriental rug, and some beautiful oil paintings. And yes, I have enjoyed before and after week. Love to see them!!

missgulfsouth August 9, 2013 at 4:17 am

Gorgeous!

mappermom August 9, 2013 at 7:07 am

Love, love, love the new space. Would it be too much to ask for bigger chairs? I like something big and squishy to hunker down in while reading! Otherwise, perfect.

Carol M August 9, 2013 at 8:42 am

I couldn’t stop looking at this. About as close to perfect as you can get.

jordi August 9, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Beautiful and a superb use of space that might be left unused or underused. Stunning.

Nathan August 10, 2013 at 1:41 am

Wow. What an amazing transformation.

Karen August 12, 2013 at 9:44 pm

It’s beautiful–everything. Would be such a pleasure to curl up and read in that lovely room.