Cheryl Tiegs’ Balinese-Inspired Home in Bel Air

Cheryl Tiegs Bel Air CA house for sale cvr 2

If you’re a fan of the reality-TV series Million Dollar Decorators, then you may have seen designer Martyn Lawrence-Bullard visiting his supermodel client Cheryl Tiegs last season when he was working on her “Balinese-inspired” house in L.A. Here’s a closer look at how it turned out.

Cheryl Tiegs Martyn Lawrence Bullard designed home

Tiegs listed the house for $12 million earlier this year but removed it soon after. It said: “This magical Balinese inspired estate is located through the prestigious East Gate on one of Bel Air’s most distinguished streets.”

Cheryl Tiegs Bel Air CA house for sale (14)

Cheryl Tiegs Bel Air CA house for sale (2)

“The private and lushly landscaped grounds feature a swimmers pool, guest house with bath, meandering pathways, tranquil fountains and beautiful views of the city beyond.”

Cheryl Tiegs Bel Air CA house for sale (5)

“A spacious chef’s kitchen with center island and hand painted tin ceiling features magnificent stenciled walls using Indonesian motifs. The floors and counters are eco-friendly Cambria stone.”

Cheryl Tiegs Bel Air CA house for sale (6)

Cheryl Tiegs Bel Air CA house for sale (3)

Cheryl Tiegs Bel Air CA house for sale (8)

Martyn Lawrence-Bullard Design talks about the project and has more photos, including one of this bedroom fireplace with a painting of Tiegs over it instead of what was shown in the listing:

Cheryl Tiegs Bel Air CA house for sale (9)

Check the listing for more photos and information.

Cheryl Tiegs Bel Air CA house for sale (10)

The Sports Illustrated swimsuit issues made Tiegs famous. This People cover from 1978 described her as “The $2,000-a-day woman,” which would probably be chump-change for a supermodel today:

Cheryl Tiegs in People magazine June 1978

Martyn Lawrence-Bullard has designed houses for other celebs I’ve featured, including Sharon & Ozzy’s Cape Cod in California and Ellen Pompeo’s Home in the Hollywood Hills.

Cheryl Tiegs Bel Air CA house for sale (4)

P.S. Visit Celebrity Houses to see more, including…

Christie Brinkley's Tower Hill Hamptons houseChristie Brinkley’s House in the Hamptons

Jennifer Lopez buys Hamptons House Water Mill
J ennifer Lopez has reportedly plunked down nearly $10 million for a new house in the Hamptons. The Gambrel-style shingled house is in Water Mill…
Tim McGraw and Faith Hill's Tennessee house for sale
Country music superstars Tim McGraw and Faith Hill are selling their sprawling farm in Franklin, Tennessee, for $20 million. It comes with over 700 acres…

Comments

1. Gerry says

Although this isn’t my style at all I’ve always loved Cheryl’s house. It hasn’t changed all that much over the years yet always looks fresh, never dated.

Yeah, the house hasn’t changed much, but Cheryl’s lips sure have. In her prime modelling time she had thin lips that almost disappeared when her smile displayed her pearly whites. Not unattractive. Let’s home she stops pumping up those lips.

• Emma says

Wow – a rather petty and uncalled-for comment on a blog about houses.

• Candice in Georgetown ON Canada says

You’re right, Emma. Please excuse me.

3. AmberAZ says

I first saw her house featured in a magazine several years ago and have always loved it…agree not a lot has changed, yet it still looks fresh and timeless (kind of like Cheryl). The most notable change is the kitchen. She used to have a very dramatic tile on the floor and backsplash. While the new kitchen design flows well with the house and is more neutral, I personally prefer the old kitchen with the gorgeous tile.

4. Nancy says

The “spacious chef’s kitchen” looks pretty small for 12 Million.

Pictures of her (when I was a teen) always made me feel unattractive and gawky. Maturing is such a relief! The house seems a tad conflicted to me, but okay (except for the kitchen … is that basketweave stuff on the cabinets? I can just see the debris getting stuck in that.)

6. Wendy says

Not my cuppa, but she has done a good job with that style. It looks like a real place, lived in and comfortable yet elegant. So often with this style it looks like a SEA hotel lobby. She has totally avoided that here. I like the touches of color here and there. Maybe that was staging, though, because her style seems to favor neutrals.

7. Kim says

The interior is very interesting and cool, but it’s not my style. Even so, I think this would be a fun place to stay in for a couple of days.

8. rachel says

love this style. not over done and looks like a average person could achieve this style. very comfortable. :)

9. Tracie says

Not my style at all, but I can appreciate the beauty. Cheryl Tiegs is such a lovely, harmless person, I don’t know how anyone could have a problem with her.

10. Karen says

I love all the texture and color in the last picture and while the design may not be my style either I still enjoy looking at different design styles. This home looks comfortable and elegant at the same time. Ditto for what Tracie said as well–that Cheryl seems such a lovely, harmless person that it’s a mystery how anyone could have a problem with her.

11. jcrn says

I like the fact that she hasn’t bowed to current trends and personalized her home. No, I wouldn’t use some of the lights and other items she has chosen but I admire her willingness to use the things she loves and make the home her own.

There is another thing I remember about her and I felt it was so great – back in the day when women were supposed to be stick thin. She gained a lot of weight and wasn’t in shape. Then she started an exercise plan and showed her before and after photos. She didn’t look bone thin and she still modeled successfully. I thought that was a healthy role model for young women, fighting the stereotypes of the gaunt, scary thin look of some models.

12. Alie B says

Classy lady….classy home. I admire her for not bowing to design trends and the cookie cutter neutral look that we are seeing everywhere these days. This home imparts an impression of culture and worldliness. I like the rich, earthy color scheme.