Jack Lemmon’s Bungalow from the Movie “Grumpy Old Men”

by hookedonhouses on July 15, 2013

Grumpy Old Men House For Sale St Paul HyacinthRemember Jack Lemmon’s white bungalow in the early ’90s comedy Grumpy Old Men? They filmed the exteriors in a St. Paul, Minnesota, neighborhood, and the house recently went on the market for $195,000. To jog your memory, here’s how it looked in the movie:

Grumpy Old Men movie house exterior 1

The interiors were sets at Paisley Park Studios in Minnesota, but they sure looked real. They gave it lots of dark old woodwork for a Craftsman bungalow look inside.

Jack Lemmon in Grumpy Old Men-front door

Ann-Margret played Ariel, who moves in across the street from feuding neighbors John (Lemmon) and Max (Walter Matthau) and takes their rivalry to a new level.

Ann Margret in Grumpy Old Men

Jack Lemmon and Ann-Margret in Grumpy Old Men

Daryl Hannah played John’s daughter Melanie:

Daryl Hannah in Grumpy Old Men

Jack Lemmon in Grumpy Old Men-hallway

Daryl Hannah and Jack Lemmon Grumpy Old Men 2

The production designer was David Chapman, who also worked on the movie Steel Magnolias. That house was on the market recently and you can see the photos of how it looks today here:

Steel Magnolias house

I love the fireplace wall in John’s house:

Daryl Hannah and Jack Lemmon Grumpy Old Men

Grumpy Old Men movie house dining room

Jack Lemmon's kitchen in Grumpy Old Men movie

There was a sequel in 1997, Grumpier Old Men, that was also filmed in this neighborhood.

The Grumpy Old Men movie house exterior

Here’s how the house looks today in the listing photos, taken by Nina Nelson of In View Fotos:

Jack Lemmon's house in Grumpy Old Men movie

It was built in 1914 and has about 1,400 square feet.

Grumpy Old Men house for sale St. Paul (10)

As you can see, the staircase is a lot smaller in the real house than it was in the movie:

Grumpy Old Men house for sale St. Paul (6)

The listing says there’s a view of Lake Phalen from the back of the house.

Grumpy Old Men house for sale St. Paul (2)

Grumpy Old Men house for sale St. Paul (7)

Grumpy Old Men house for sale St. Paul (3)

Grumpy Old Men house for sale St. Paul (17)

It has 2 bedrooms and 1 bath.

Grumpy Old Men house for sale St. Paul (8)

Grumpy Old Men house for sale St. Paul (14)

Grumpy Old Men house for sale St. Paul (12)

You can read more about the house in an article at Twin Cities, a fun post at I Am Not a Stalker, and the listing at Keller Williams Realty. (Note: Zillow says the listing was removed over the weekend, so I’m not sure what the current status of the property is.)

Grumpy Old Men house for sale sunroom

Hooked on Houses Onscreen? Click here to see more, including…

The Mary Tyler Moore Show house in Minneapolis

The Real Mary Tyler Moore House For Sale in Minneapolis

LeAnn July 15, 2013 at 8:06 am

I love bungalows. We lived in one when we were first married, brings back memories. Thanks for the tour Julia.

mieszkania poznan sprzeda? July 15, 2013 at 9:22 am

It’s such a great bungalow! I would like to live in this lovely place! In my country bungalows aren’t popular… :/

Luciane at HomeBunch.com July 15, 2013 at 10:26 am

This house is full of charming details. Thank you so much for sharing this with us!!!

Wishing a very blessed week!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

missgulfsouth July 15, 2013 at 10:42 am

Wow. Such a great house! I know somebody is going to complain about the white trim, but it looks good here. I can’t believe they built a set for the inside….so much work and cost involved in that! I loved this movie, Ann Margaret is the best. ;)

Jillian@TheHumbleGourmet July 15, 2013 at 11:55 am

Great house, but the interiors look a bit too updated and “sleek” for my tastes. Part of the appeal of those older homes is that they have their own unique flair.

jen July 15, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Such a great house nothing I don;t like about it
makes me want to watch the movie again thank you

karen July 15, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Love this house! The porch is fantastic and the kitchen is so cute.

Alie B July 15, 2013 at 4:47 pm

The real interior of this house (before the woodwork was painted) probably looked a fair bit like the studio version, which makes me wonder why they didn’t just use the real interior. This building of studio interiors seems very common in Hollywood. I suppose the real interiors aren’t large enough to accommodate the crew, cameras etc.

Mary July 15, 2013 at 6:54 pm

This was on the news in Minnesota when it went on the market. I love the interior and if it had a second bath, it would be perfect. My friends and I were joking that we should go in together and buy it as a shared second home. It’s a great neighborhood.

Kim July 15, 2013 at 10:39 pm

What a nice bungalow. I love it except for I wish the staircase looked like the one from the movie. That’s ok, this house is charming and I like the interior better than the sets.

Wendy July 15, 2013 at 10:44 pm

What a lovely house. I’m still in shock from falling in love with that sunporch. Love. Sappy, old fashioned love.

snaggy July 16, 2013 at 5:01 am

Lovely house :)

Dawn @ We Call It Junkin July 16, 2013 at 10:43 am

I love that movie and love that house! It’s so funny, though, to see it here with a different interior. Thanks for posting this. I also enjoyed see the Steel Magnolias house. Another movie and house I love. Btw, thanks for having “how to” info on getting screen shots from movies in your FAQs. That helped me add a new item to my website- Antiques On Film. I had a lot of fun with the first one. Take care – Dawn @ We Call It Junkin

Teresa July 16, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I can never get enough of old craftsman homes like this. I think the reason I loved the movie so much besides all the great actors that were in it was the craftsman style homes in the film. My bet is that home will have multiple offers and be snapped up in a minute.

Hoyt Clagwell July 16, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Great post.

Karen July 20, 2013 at 10:27 am

I love the fireplace wall in John’s house too–the movie version.I love old craftsman homes like this too and can never get enough of them, although I tend to lean towards being more of a purist when it comes to whether or not to paint the woodwork. On the other hand I can also understand wanting to paint the woodwork white too, especially if one lives where the weather tends to be gloomy.

As for the inside of the home (the listing) I don’t tend to be drawn to gray and am feeling a bit over-dosed seeing so much of it these days. I know that it’s still currently all the rage, but I just can’t seem to hop on board, although I don’t mind gray/green. What I do love is the old stove in the kitchen and the living room window and the paint color in the bedroom. These homes are always so full of charm.

{ 3 trackbacks }