For Sale: A Grand Craftsman with Three Stories in Portland

by hookedonhouses on June 23, 2013

Craftsman in Portland Heights for sale (1)This unusual “Grand Craftsman,” which was built in 1915 with three stories and nearly 9,000 square feet in Portland Heights, was designed by Oregon’s first State Architect, William C. Knighton. It has been updated, but Craftsman purists will be happy to see so much of the original woodwork intact.

Craftsman in Portland Heights for sale (20)

The woodwork throughout the home is “rich mahogany and oak,” according to the listing.

Craftsman in Portland Heights for sale (2)

Craftsman in Portland Heights for sale (11)

Craftsman in Portland Heights for sale (7)

Craftsman in Portland Heights for sale (3)

Craftsman in Portland Heights for sale (10)

Craftsman in Portland Heights for sale (16)

Craftsman in Portland Heights for sale (12)

Craftsman in Portland Heights for sale (6)

Craftsman in Portland Heights for sale (18)

The house has 7 bedrooms and 4 full baths.

Craftsman in Portland Heights for sale (5)

Craftsman in Portland Heights for sale (8)

Craftsman in Portland Heights for sale (19)

Craftsman in Portland Heights for sale (22)

It’s on the market for $2.1 million. For more photos and information, check the Windermere listing and take the virtual tour. Thanks to Kim for telling me about it!

Craftsman in Portland Heights for sale (13)

Hooked on Craftsman Houses? Click here to see more, including…

Craftsman-painted-gray and white in South-Pasadena

One that got a (much) more contemporary remodel

Sherry June 23, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Wooooow! I’m in love! If this were my home, I’d never leave the property! Just gorgeous!

Jane George June 23, 2013 at 10:25 pm

I’m hyperventilating.

Autumn June 23, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Now this is what I’m talking about…Finally a gorgeous home I’d make an offer on immediately!

Maria June 23, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Just lovely. So nice to see the public spaces left so intact!

Of course, if I had the money to spring for the five things you’d change game, it would be:

1) Incorporate the odd family type room with the bumped out kitchen fridge wall all into kitchen/eating space.

2) Get rid of the Mexican floor tile/put in hardwood to match the rest of the first floor.

3) Make kitchens/baths look less like ads for Ikea and Pottery Barn.

4) Warm up the paint.

5) Hunt down period light fixtures.

What a fun project this would be; so much potential!

hookedonhouses June 24, 2013 at 8:25 am

We haven’t played the 5-Changes Game in a long time! Loved hearing your ideas, Maria. :)

Amanda June 24, 2013 at 8:36 am

I want to play that! FUN!

missgulfsouth June 24, 2013 at 10:31 am

Let’s play that Julia!! ;)

Laura June 24, 2013 at 2:27 pm

I agree with all of that. But I would happily live in this house as is because I’d just be staring at that green-tiled fireplace the whole time. And that quartersawn oak woodwork. Sigh.

Kelly Cartwright June 24, 2013 at 3:50 am

Many have said that a house made of wood is hard to maintain but I don’t care at all if this is my house. This is such a great home!

Kelly - Talk of the House June 24, 2013 at 5:56 am

I love the warmth of this house…it really looks like it could be lived in like a home. AND it looks like it would make a great set for a movie..come on Nancy Meyers! :) That wood paneled room looking out over the trees is wonderful. Beautiful home!

Kay - redbirdv.wordpress.com June 24, 2013 at 6:54 am

Hola
The original Craftsman tiles were such gems!
I love Portland, Oregon.
K A Y

martha June 24, 2013 at 7:34 am

Stunning! Woodwork is gorgeous without feeling too dark and overbearing. The outside is to die for……oh my, I love this house!!!!

Cheryl in Wisconsin June 24, 2013 at 8:47 am

I agree with Martha, the woodwork is beautiful. And those fireplaces! I wouldn’t change one thing about this house.

The Country Girl June 24, 2013 at 8:50 am

Not really my tyle but I appreciate the graciousness of the space and proportions. Would also like to thank you, Julia, for having a blog format I can zoom into on an ipad mini….so many don’t allow one to increase the size of the pictures, something about the frames, I guess. Yours is one I know I can see on even my phone :-)

hookedonhouses June 24, 2013 at 9:03 am

Oh, good! I’m glad to hear it’s easy to read!

Stephanie June 24, 2013 at 9:03 am

Now that’s a stunner!

Patti June 24, 2013 at 9:16 am

Totally love this. The fireplaces are killing me.

Holley June 24, 2013 at 4:34 pm

I love those fireplaces too. Gorgeous!

D.K. June 24, 2013 at 9:22 am

I loved, loved, loved everything with the exception of the kitchen. Does not look like it belongs in this house……..

Sarah In Illinois June 25, 2013 at 1:12 pm

I thought the same thing. :)

Carolyn June 24, 2013 at 9:44 am

Wow! Lots of wonderful spaces here. I don’t care for the kitchen wall and floor color, but other than that, it’s fantastic. I think that maybe because the floors were lightened while the trim remained dark helped to lighten the overall feel.

Margaret June 24, 2013 at 10:06 am

Not a fan of the mustard yellow paint color in the den and the peach color in the kitchen. Otherwise, it’s gorgeous! The woodwork is stunning and I love all the windows.

Dina June 24, 2013 at 10:17 am

I admit I was afraid to look, but was pleasantly surprised that the house remains true to its roots. My only negatives are the kitchen seems a bit clinical and I would like to see more personal touches such as pottery, baskets, textiles and art work that were key ingredients of the Arts & Crafts Movement. Maybe it’s just staged for sale and that explains the lack of ownership imprinting. Overall – nicely done.

missgulfsouth June 24, 2013 at 10:29 am

The only thing better than a Craftsman house is a Craftsman house with three stories!!! Can you imagine? Now, this inside is a bit sparsely furnished for my taste, but I could fix that in no time at all. Why does the upper west coast get all these beauties, anyway?

Jen June 24, 2013 at 10:52 am

love all the wood so cozy and the green fireplace is cute

Lynn June 24, 2013 at 10:56 am

Is it just me or is that tub very looonnngg? lol The previous owner must have been tall.

Sue June 24, 2013 at 11:36 am

Of course I love it all; the extra wide stairs and shine on the floors. I like that the kitchen and bath are white to brighten the spaces up. Move-in ready, I’ll take it.

Be Inspired PR June 24, 2013 at 11:38 am

This house is amazing! So much charm and character!

gena June 24, 2013 at 11:48 am

What a beautiful home! I agree about making the colors warmer. My only negative comment would be that the property is so small! The house is huge and would look amazing on an acre or even more!

gena

CastleView 3D Architectural Renderings June 24, 2013 at 12:19 pm

YES!! This Craftsman purist is happy with the updates. That first floor woodwork is gorgeous! And the wallcolors are very appropriate.

Alie B June 24, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Gorgeous home and beautifully preserved. It seems like a lot of yellow to me though, which I associate with the 90’s, but that would be easy enough to change. So nice to see a Craftsman whose trims haven’t been painted to death! :)

Cindy June 24, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Wow! Love this house! How neat that it’s still so light and airy while maintaining the darker wood trim, etc. I do have to admit my first thought upon seeing the orange kitchen was push-up pops! Ha!

Karen June 24, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Beautiful home–so warm and lovely. I do love the wood as is and it’s nice to see that it wasn’t painted, but that the home still feels light and airy. I don’t much care for the paint color in the kitchen, but that would be an easy fix for a potential buyer.

Carolyn June 24, 2013 at 4:14 pm

What a beauty! I was impressed with the spaciousness, especially since it was built in 1915!

Terry June 24, 2013 at 6:32 pm

I am so schizophrenic when it comes to houses. I get week in the knees with cottages, salt boxes, converted barns, log houses, converted cabooses, brownstones, painted ladies, lofts, pre-war apartments. But this craftsman? Oh my! My grandparents had one (about a third the size of this one) but it holds such magical memories. I truly love a craftsman and this one takes my breath away.

Terry June 24, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Did I say “week”? Good grief!! I meant weak.

Kim June 24, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Thank you for sharing this. It’s a lovely house.

Esther George June 24, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Where do I sign. Wow this is large and beautiful. Oh that fireplace I imagine myself in front of it right now. I couldn’t change a thing. Hi Julia thank you for sharing. Till next time Regards Esther from Sydney.

Dean June 24, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Woweee woweee! That is one beautiful house! Especially like the room with the beadboard ceilings and walls and the huge windows. I could live in that room alone. :-)

Wendy June 24, 2013 at 10:05 pm

I love that house. 95% of it anyway. The layout of that kitchen would drive me crazy, with the sink so far from the stove…and where’s the fridge? But who am I kidding. I’d be happy with the butler’s pantry! Beautiful home.

Greg June 25, 2013 at 1:24 am

Lovely home in Portland; I would not seek out a Craftsman personally, but I can appreciate all the touches in the home, except for the kitchen.

My five things to change:
a. Get rid of the barrier island in the kitchen
b. Get rid of the terracotta
c. Replace the travertine(?) in the bath with penny tile or hex mosaic
d. Replace the butcher block with soapstone to ground the space.
e. Add dark wood somewhere in that kitchen, to relate it to the rest of the ground floor

Rebecca C. June 25, 2013 at 2:11 am

Oh, my. What a lovely house. I’m drooling over that woodwork. I think I would have put in wood cabinets in the kitchen instead of painted, but overall, I could live with it. If I had that type of money, that is.

Aruba Vacation Rentals June 25, 2013 at 5:09 am

What a perfect place to live! So cool and elegant. I want to live in this kind of house.

Julia June 25, 2013 at 8:28 pm

A beautiful home and proof a home in the Northwest does not need to be all white inside to be bright, warm and inviting. An absolute stunner. Love it.

Constance June 25, 2013 at 8:47 pm

That is some house. I’d love something with the same features but 7,000 less square feet. I love the white kitchen and baths. The windows are stunning but some window coverings are needed.

Liz June 26, 2013 at 5:00 pm

So glad to see the stunning woodwork has been left (for the most part) unpainted! Beautiful house!

{ 1 trackback }