Before & After: Jennifer’s DIY Staircase Makeover

by hookedonhouses on June 5, 2013

Jennifer's staircase makeover BEFORET he stairs in my house are a mess. The carpet is old and worn and looks a lot like Jennifer’s did in that “before” photo above. So I’m always on the look-out for some staircase inspiration. After some hard DIY work, here’s how hers looks now…

Jennifer's DIY staircase makeover AFTER

I’m impressed with all the details they added not only to the staircase but to the rooms around it, as well. The crown molding and woodwork give the space more character, and replacing the old tile with hardwood make a big difference, too. This really makes me want to tackle my own sorry stairs. (Thanks, Jennifer!)

Head over to her blog Classic Style Home for all the details about the makeover. While you’re there, be sure to check out the other rooms that got a new look–including her kitchen.

Click here to see more great makeovers, including…

Stephen-Saint-Onge-DR-makeover-BEFORE

Turning a Little-Used Dining Room Into a Family Room

Luciane at HomeBunch.com June 5, 2013 at 7:42 am

Oh, the beauty of millwork! You can transform, elevate spaces with them!

I love all the changes here, including the paint color. :-)

Have a happy day, Julia!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

House Crazy Sarah June 5, 2013 at 7:50 am

Looks great! But I’ve heard that black stair treads are a pain in the rear to keep clean because they attract dust, lint and pet hair!

Debbie June 5, 2013 at 8:41 am

This is striking, but I also have a lot of questions. Mostly, is it me, or did she add a wall separating the dining room from the living room? Does this result in less sunlight? Really just curious. The colors she choose were lovely, and all the white sets in off.

hookedonhouses June 5, 2013 at 8:46 am

They made all kinds of changes to the rooms around the stairs, too. Follow that link I gave you in the post to her blog to see them all!

lilkunta June 5, 2013 at 9:36 am

I looked here http://classicstylehome.blogspot.com/2013/05/diy-stair-reveal.html and dont see info on the room behind the stairs.

It looks like the room behind the stairs is bigger in the before pic. I guess beige/brown makes rooms seems bigger?

Stacey June 5, 2013 at 11:18 am

Check here: they added walls around the living room area to create a formal entry and it gave them a formal dining space, too. http://classicstylehome.blogspot.com/search/label/Dining%20Room

lilkunta June 5, 2013 at 9:33 am

All I see is a different paint colour. There are new moldings?

hookedonhouses June 5, 2013 at 9:40 am

I meant the board and batten-type trim around the staircase.

Check the other link I gave to see her other rooms and how they remodeled the rest of the house: http://classicstylehome.blogspot.com/2012/12/remodelmania-2012.html

Alie B June 5, 2013 at 9:51 am

Great job on the stairs! What a huge difference visually and so much more practical than carpeting! :-)

Cheryl June 5, 2013 at 10:24 am

They definitely added a wall in the dining/living area. In the before pics you can see three clerestory windows just behind the upper newel posts. You only see the far left one in the after pic, and the angle is about the same. I used this color scheme in my powder room and love it! Looks great here too.

Jen June 5, 2013 at 10:42 am

just beautifully done

Emma June 5, 2013 at 10:42 am

This is just fabulous The paint color, the mouldings – love it all. Personally, I like the idea of making rooms a bit more intimate, without that cavernous height that is supposed to give the illusion of more space (but seldom does).

Beautiful, beautiful job!!

Jennifer June 5, 2013 at 11:21 am

Thank you so much for featuring my stairs! And to answer the above question, yes we added a wall! Two of them actually. We closed in the never used formal living room and turned it into a study. It functions and feels so much better! Thanks for all the lovely comments. :)

Be Inspired PR June 5, 2013 at 11:23 am

WOW! What a transformation! just beautiful :)

Amelia@monogramsnmud June 5, 2013 at 11:50 am

With the blue walls it really pops and looks so fresh…great job!

Recreate and Decorate June 5, 2013 at 1:26 pm

that looks awesome! I love the black.

Rebekah June 5, 2013 at 1:59 pm

I actually liked it “Before”. The “After” looks too stark and cold-looking in that black and white color.

Jill Palumbo June 5, 2013 at 4:34 pm

I love the trim, but the colors are a little stark for me. Just a personal preference though. I do love wood stairs and not carpet!

Bobi Jensen June 5, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Looks fabulous!

martha June 5, 2013 at 7:23 pm

I love this makeover…so well done. I do wonder about the dark stair treads. Someone above mentioned that they show everything and I would think this could be a super problem with kids and animals. We recently took the carpet off our stairs and I was worried about the noise factor……my husband and sons tend to sound like a herd of elephants…but it has not been a problem. Our treads were stained a medium oak.

Terry June 5, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Regardless of any changes made beyond the staircase, I judge it a winner. It is just stunning. Well done. Really!!

missgulfsouth June 6, 2013 at 9:55 am

Spectacular! From the paint, to the stair treads, to the finishes, it is perfect in every way. ;)

{ 2 trackbacks }