A Family’s Coastal Cottage with “Fresh-Squeezed” Color

by hookedonhouses on May 6, 2013

Colorful Coastal Cottage in BHG

This “coastal cottage” featured in Better Homes and Gardens belongs to an active family of four. They wanted to create some vintage beach style with “a fresh-squeezed color scheme,” starting with the tangerine front door…

Colorful Family Cottage in BHG (6)

The colors they used were inspired by the painting over the mantel.

Colorful Family Cottage in BHG (5)

The dining room has coral and white-striped curtains that steal the show:

Colorful Family Cottage in BHG (1)

Outside the dining room is a cozy built-in bench:

Colorful Family Cottage in BHG (7)

Although the house is clearly bigger than what you’d usually think of as a cottage, they were aiming for that kind of charm and style in the rooms.

Colorful Family Cottage in BHG (9)

Visit BHG for all the photos and details.

Colorful Family Cottage in BHG (8)

The house looks so bright and cheery, doesn’t it? It’s been rainy and cool here in Ohio–wish we could get some of that warmth and sunshine today! -Julia :-)

P.S. Hooked on Coastal Cottage Style? Check this out:

Polhemus-Savery-DaSilver-shingled-house-turquoise-shutters

Maddie May May 6, 2013 at 7:26 am

This is a storybook cottage. Charming from the front door to the wonderful splashes of color inside. The colors are happy without going over the top. Beautiful kitchen. This home feels truly like a well loved family home. Love it.

Kay May 6, 2013 at 7:34 am

Hola
I remember this house — I thought all their light fixtures were pretty rad. Ditto on the front door color love, Maddie May. I’m trying to persuade myself to do something NOW with our front door color. The exterior will be white + gray . . . + I worry that red is SO ‘last century’!
Sincerely,
K A Y

Alie B May 6, 2013 at 8:14 am

Kay,

Yellow or teal also work nicely with grey! :)

House Crazy Sarah May 6, 2013 at 8:19 am

My front door is red – granted, my house is from last, LAST century! (1870′s) :)

Laura May 6, 2013 at 9:42 am

Mine too – still love the red. My house is 1890s.

jep May 6, 2013 at 10:40 am

Our 12 year old cottage home has a red door, very English style. I wanted a storybook cottage and that is what we got. Love the red, but those other colors would look nice, too…just not on our house. ;-) Great cottage here, thanks for sharing.

Kelly May 22, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Do you remember what issue of Better Homes and Gardens this house was in?

hookedonhouses May 23, 2013 at 6:30 am

I don’t. I couldn’t track it down. I keep hoping someone will fill us in!

Marsha May 6, 2013 at 7:50 am

This is so pretty. Lots of white but not boring like some. Love the colors they used.

Alie B May 6, 2013 at 8:16 am

This place is gorgeous, Julia! It’s just the right mixture of color, natural fibres and wood tones. I loooooove this kitchen!

House Crazy Sarah May 6, 2013 at 8:16 am

“fresh squeezed color” is a perfect description for this house! That front door really pops! The whole place looks like it would be lots of fun for kids! Very nice

missgulfsouth May 6, 2013 at 8:45 am

I’ve seen this house before, very bright and cheerful!! We’re warm and sunny today, anybody up for a trip to the gulf coast? Come on down!!! ;)

hookedonhouses May 6, 2013 at 8:50 am

I’m on my way! :-)

Emma May 6, 2013 at 10:25 am

OH, you better be careful with that invitation, Miss Gulf! :)

hookedonhouses May 6, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Yeah, she might regret that. Ha.

missgulfsouth May 6, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Come on, I’m ready for y’all!!!!! ;)

Patti May 6, 2013 at 9:07 am

This is the exact house I have cut out and used for inspiration as I have been remodeling my house. The light fixture in the living room I found after searching and searching and searching the internet. When I found it I saved it and drooled over it, but could never justify the cost. Sigh, I still want it.

Cindy May 6, 2013 at 9:08 am

I am swooning over here! Love it! Nice balance between the white and the color.

I’ll join for the gulf coast trip! ;-) North central Indiana is still a bit cool and cloudy…I’m wondering if we’re going to skip spring altogether and head straight into summer. :-\

Laura May 6, 2013 at 9:44 am

I think the woodwork really makes this house – moldings, built-ins, paneling, etc. Very nicely decorated too, and I love the exterior!!

Isabel May 6, 2013 at 10:09 am

WOWZA!

I LOVE everything about this home!!

Emma May 6, 2013 at 10:24 am

I love this house – The citrus accents are so pretty, and the front porch is just dreamy.
Love all the sunshine in the kitchen, too.

A giant thank you to Julia for the pictures, because you sure can’t see anything on the BH & G site. (Which has to be the most user-unfriendly site ever…)

Hooked on Houses can keep me occupied for hours :)

hookedonhouses May 6, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Thanks, Emma! It really is a frustrating site to try to navigate. Wish they’d give it a more user-friendly makeover–it would sure make my life easier when I’m trying to track things down on it!

Erin May 6, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I agree! I love BH&G, and I’ve had a subscription for years. I wish they’d get a more user-friendly site with a better catalog of their images. I have stacks of pages I’ve torn from the magazine over the years, and I’d love to get rid of the paper, but when I try and find the images from the issues online, I rarely have any luck.

65andcounting May 7, 2013 at 9:45 am

I’m a total techie and am hooked on the website Houzz for most of my photo gathering for our upcoming renovation but overwhelmingly, like Erin, I still clip and save pages from magazines. Some things are too good to change.

Teresa May 6, 2013 at 10:33 am

Love everything about this house, love the stairs with the space under them!

Julie M. May 6, 2013 at 10:36 am

I hope you get some sunshine too. It’s sweet and beautiful out here in Washington State!

: )

Julie M.

ps Pretty pretty cottage!

hookedonhouses May 6, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Thanks, Julie! It’s still raining here and looks like we’ve got nothing but more rain to look forward to all week. Boo.

Melinda May 6, 2013 at 11:02 am

I love this house! Im pretty sure that I pinned almost every room to my “someday” beach house folder in Pintrest. Thanks for brightening up my rainy Monday, Julia!

Rebecca C. May 6, 2013 at 11:09 am

I love all those pops of color. It just gets me inspired to do that to my house.

Christina from Dallas May 6, 2013 at 11:19 am

This house is beautiful. The pops of color are so pretty. I love the view under the stairs!

Joanne May 6, 2013 at 11:58 am

I want to see what they did with the wonderful outdoor space to the left of the front door. Looks like a beautiful porch area. This house just seems like such a happy place, loving the colors.

Jane Susan May 6, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Love it (except for the plastic chairs).

martha May 6, 2013 at 4:30 pm

I agree, the Lucite chairs look out of place, I guess they don’t break up the space visually….but I don’t care for them. LOVE the rest of the house!!!!!

Kim May 6, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I totally needed this post today! How refreshing :) I don’t think there’s a space in this house that I don’t love. Thanks for sharing!!

Stephanie@geezees May 6, 2013 at 12:44 pm

So light and airy! Love how they used the space…love the cozy built in bench.

Jen May 6, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Its cute looks very light bright and airy love that in a house and the colors are beautiful too cute bookcase and bench as well its only a pity not see more of the outside

Kim May 6, 2013 at 2:48 pm

What a bright and cheerful house. I want a home like this where the sunshine brightens up the rooms. I saw some of these photos on pinterest about a year ago and I pinned them to some of my boards. How fun to see them on your blog.

Here in Washington we have had beautiful weather these past few weeks. It’s the best Spring we have had in a long time. I wish I could bring some of this sunshine to you.

Tiffany S. May 6, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I’m also in Washington! Betcha you didn’t know you had so many WA followers.

I LOVE these colors. Did you pin them? I’ll have to do that when I get home to my laptop. Perfect for our “someday” cabin.

Kelly - Talk of the House May 6, 2013 at 3:59 pm

What a happy happy house! I love all the color in it. We have had our share of rain and cold here, too. What in the world is going on with the weather these days??

hookedonhouses May 6, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I don’t know what’s going on with this wacky weather, but I’m getting tired of it. I’m ready for some warm and sunny days! :)

Al May 6, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Does anyone know where I can get the house plan?

hookedonhouses May 6, 2013 at 5:08 pm

If there’s a floor plan available, it would be at BHG. Follow the link over there and see what you can find!

Dawn May 6, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Cozy and beautiful! Love it!

classic • casual • home May 6, 2013 at 6:40 pm

What a bright and comfortable home…sort of like ours…but I would love to have that porch!

Patience May 7, 2013 at 4:38 am

Wow, really well done. I especially like the orange door with the blue shutters.

Lonnie Thaler May 7, 2013 at 6:11 am

Wow! I love everything in this house. It is amazingly done with all the bright colors inside and out. It looks bright and cheerful! It’s so great to live there.

Samantha May 7, 2013 at 9:06 am

Looking at this house actually made me smile :)
It is lovely

MimiG May 7, 2013 at 9:24 am

When I first saw this a few years ago, I immediately smiled. The colors, the light, the cozyness of this home is beautiful. Thanks for reminding me to find my magazine and have another swoon fest!

Lisa May 8, 2013 at 1:12 am

Love, love, love!

pat May 8, 2013 at 10:19 pm

I read all the comments and not one person asked you about the coral and white striped curtains. I want them!! I just painted my living room a dark gray and we have a lot of white custom trim!! Thanks to my wonderful Trim Carpenter Hubby!!! and I am looking for gray and white or coral and white curtains!!!

maude May 9, 2013 at 8:07 pm

I’m glad to see that I’m not the only one who will design the color scheme of a room around a painting or a tapestry:)
Maude

Esther George May 10, 2013 at 8:04 am

Hi Julia thank you for sharing this beautiful home. Love the colour scheme. It has a happy look about it. Hope the sun shines for you soon. I don’t know about you guys but too much rain depresses but everything in the garden turns a beautiful green. Regards Esther from Sydney. PS in case I get sidetracked Have A Happy Mothers Day.

hookedonhouses May 10, 2013 at 8:14 am

Thanks, Esther–hope you have a beautiful Mother’s Day, too! :)

Maria May 12, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Where can I buy the beige/burlap color with print throw pillows used on th banquette? Thanks.

hookedonhouses May 13, 2013 at 6:28 am

I believe the article said they made them from old bags. Follow the link at the end of my post to the Better Homes & Gardens website for source info like that.

pat farriq May 13, 2013 at 9:28 pm

where did you get the coral striped curtains??thanks

hookedonhouses May 14, 2013 at 6:29 am

I believe the article said they sewed them out of two different fabrics. Go to the BHG article for all the source details.

Kelly May 14, 2013 at 7:40 pm

What issue of Better Homes and Gardens was this house from? It’s my dream home, and would like to get a tangible copy of it.

hookedonhouses May 14, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Wish I knew! I couldn’t find that info on their website anywhere. I have subscribed to the mag for years but didn’t remember seeing this article so I thought maybe it was new. Several readers have mentioned that they remembered it from last year, though. Does anyone know the issue it was in?

Robbie Andersen June 15, 2013 at 12:26 am

This home was in the February 2011 edition of BHG…I tracked a copy down on ebay, and this house has provided so much inspiration for the home addition we are starting!

hookedonhouses June 15, 2013 at 8:01 am

Thanks, Robbie! Mystery solved. :)

Lynn June 23, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Does anyone know the paint company used for the blue gray shutters or the “tangerine” front door on the Fresh Squeezed Cottage? I would like to track them down. Also, can anyone tell what color the roof is?

dave October 25, 2013 at 3:42 pm