A Gingerbread Cottage in Historic Mount Tabor

Gingerbread cottage for sale Mount Tabor NJ

This one-bedroom gingerbread cottage is so colorful and quirky that it made me smile. You don’t see houses like this very often! It was built in 1871 and is on the market in the Historic Mount Tabor neighborhood of New Jersey for $299,900.

Gingerbread cottage for sale Mount Tabor NJ 2

The listing says, “A stunning gingerbread cottage in Historic Mount Tabor! Decorative ironwork, ornate woodwork and whimsical details throughout.”

wrought iron gate gingerbread cottage

front porch-gingerbread cottage

Gingerbread cottage for sale Mount Tabor NJ 4

“Double door entry to living room with amazing plaster ornaments, stained glass in bay window nook and beamed ceiling with antique pendant lights.”

Gingerbread cottage for sale Mount Tabor NJ 8

Gingerbread cottage for sale Mount Tabor NJ 5

“Wood burning stove. Hardwood floors throughout first floor. Gingerbread arch into dining room and kitchen.”

Gingerbread cottage for sale Mount Tabor NJ 6

gingerbread archway

Gingerbread cottage for sale Mount Tabor NJ 9

Gingerbread cottage for sale Mount Tabor NJ 10

A niche carved into the top of the staircase:

niche in staircase of cottage

“Wide plank heart pine floors on 2nd level. MBR with sitting area and space for possible 2nd BR. Ornate gingerbread arch with glass details between rooms.”

Gingerbread cottage for sale Mount Tabor NJ 7

gingerbread cottage bathroom

“Remodeled bath with antique oversize pedestal sink & claw foot tub.”

Gingerbread cottage for sale Mount Tabor NJ 11

“MBR features loads of light from cupola skylight and double doors to the beautiful balcony.”

Gingerbread cottage for sale Mount Tabor NJ 12

“Serene yard with iron gazebo, perennial plantings.”

Gingerbread cottage for sale Mount Tabor NJ 3

This cottage could really be a gem in the right creative hands. What would you do with it? Check the listing for more photos and information or take the virtual tour. (Thanks to Kim for telling me about it!)

Gingerbread Cottage Mount Tabor NJ at night

P.S. Hooked on Cottages? Click here to see more, including…

Old-Fox-Cottage-Cotswolds-Unique-Home-Stays

Old Fox Cottage in the Cotswolds

Comments

Wowzers! Some creative soul really went to town on this place! I love everything about it! Great find! The price seems really reasonable too!

• Jcrn says

I thinks the price is great too. Of cours it would be high maintenance to clean but what a lovely home,

2. Linda G says

Some of the features of this home go too far for me, but most of it is absolutely charming.
    I’m shocked by the price. Even with only 1 bed, 1.5 baths I can’t believe it’s not worth even $300K, especially in this area. My sister lives just down the road in a newer home that is worth substantially more.
    Although I wouldn’t want to see it torn down or stripped, I would think the architectural salvage alone would fetch quite a high price.
    Thank you for sharing this! It’s fun to see my little corner of the world featured here.

Whoa! So much details! Undoubtedly, this cottage is rich in architectural details.

I prefer a simple cottage by the water, but I appreciate the work done here. :-)

Wishing you a wonderful day, my friend! I hope everything is great with you, Julia.

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

4. Cheryl in Wisconsin says

I sincerely hope that this home is purchased by someone who loves it and will take great care of it.

5. Melissa L. says

Amazing house. Not something I’d like to wake up to every morning, but wonderfully authentic. Hope it goes to someone who will love it.

Er….well you know what they say, if you don’t have anything nice to say……..but I love ya, Julia! Have a blessed day! 😉

7. Laura says

Whoa. The interior’s actually pretty tame compared to the exterior. I’m all for gingerbread, but this is certainly taken to the extreme!

After spending Sunday on my hands and knees painting 50 feet of wrought iron porch railing (the only thing on the outside of our house that requires any maintenance)…the thought of having this many surfaces and curliques to keep painted makes me cringe! But what a remarkable house…I’m amazed that its been so well kept for its age.

9. Kristin says

Wow! This reminds me of a children’s carousel! So whimsical and fun, I could study the exterior for hours. I hope they find the right kind of person to buy it!

10. Amy says

Love it! But what’s with ripping out the ceilings and exposing the underside of the floorboards? The noise from above would drive me crazy.

11. Melinda says

Wow! Someone has taken lots of time and care keeping this amazing house in great condition.

12. The Other Sue says

I think the only thing I’d HAVE to change is the ornateness of the foundation — it really detracts from the pretty gingerbread on the rest of the house. I like that the interior is a little more “sedate”.

13. Jen says

so beautiful i’d move in right now
    Its cartoony in a nice way

14. Pamela Porter says

A little background on Mt Tabor – it was a Methodist camp meeting originally.

Most of the houses there are like this, although I believe this is one of the more elaborate ones. Another example for sale:

There is a house tour every year:

Parking is virtually non-existent except for a paved lot in the community – I believe parking spaces are deeded with the homes (don’t quote me on that)

The “center” of the community is The Tabernacle, which is now a concert venue.

I saw Nick Lowe and Graham Parker there a few years ago – awesome show. Other past performers are Donovan, Hot Tuna, Aaron Neville, Arlo Guthrie, Roger McGuinn, John Sebastian, Loudon Wainwright III…the list goes on.

All and all a beautiful place.

15. 65andcounting says

I lived on Martha’s Vineyard for years and there’s a huge area in the town of Oak Bluffs that was a former Methodist camp with ornate cottages. I wonder what it is about the Methodist religion that relates to this style of camp?

• Laura says

There’s another Methodist Camp Meeting town in New Jersey – Ocean Grove. It’s absolutely beautiful, right on the ocean, and has its own fantastic auditorium and victorian gingerbread houses. We stay there every summer.

• says

There is also one where I am from in Bay View/Petoskey, Michigan. Gorgeous ornate Victorian homes/mansions on a bluff overlooking the water. Very old money, was also a Methodist camp. 😉

16. Chris says

I live for creative two-story one bedroom 1.5 bath floor plans…this one however took creative to a whole new level. Very buyer specific!

Wow, that is a cool house. The gingerbread is amazing and I wonder if it’s all original. The plaster work in the living room is fabulous too:)
    Maude

What an incredible house- and such detail work- but even this is too much for me. Too much of a good thing may end up being a bad thing. Good luck to the sellers. I think they’ve got their work cut out for them.

19. Wendy says

Hmmm. There were some details on the interior that just didn’t look original to the period to me, but you know the other house in town that your reader linked has them too. So I guess they are. I likes me a gingerbread cottage, but this one feels remuddled…even though it apparently isn’t.

20. Wade Watson says

That house has so much vivid character inside and out. Someone does need to redo the kitchen to give it some quirky flair, too. Compared to everything else it’s a bit disappointing.

Your site is always always interesting! I love looking at all these amazing homes, each unique and fascinating in their own way. This gingerbread house really does take the cake. I love the front statues and all the stained glass inside. I especially love the flower detailing. Wow!

22. Kim says

Thank you for sharing this! I love all of the Craftsmanship.

23. Esther George says

Hi Julia I must confess I’m a quirky kind of girl hey I love MacKenzie Childs. I wouldn’t change a thing about this place it’s too amazing. You made me smile with this beauty. Thank you for sharing. Regards Esther from Sydney.

24. Alie B says

Awwwww….so cute! As many others have said, not sure if I would want to actually live there, but the craftsmanship is amazing! This would be great as a bed and breakfast, store, tea room or movie set house. It sounds like a great town too, judging from Pamela’s account.

25. Carisa says

Whoa! That’s an hour from me. I think I have to go see it!

Hard for me to believe, but I actually LOVE this house and would buy it. To me it is beautiful. I would do something about the kitchen though. It does not live up to the rest of the house.

27. Kathleen says

Fascinating to look at and explore through all the great pics. But I just see endless dusting for the owner.
    Signed,
    One lazy homeowner.

28. nanne says

that chimney looks like a piece of outsider art. it’s really great, in it’s own way.

29. valvacious says

UGGgggggg…… it gave me a headache to look at it. TOO MUCH going on with all the patterns, etc….

This could have been cute if the person did not get carried away

30. Queenie Sun says

What a cute cottage! And I love the price! Considering buyin it… Does anyone know the weather in New Jersey?

31. Robyn O'Neill says

Ahhhh !! I want it … just shows that people had more style and whimsy in the old days, reminds me of Cape May, NJ. It’s small, but I think a subtle addition in the back in the same style would work. Don’t let anyone tear it down, we don’t have enough fun and beauty these days and we need even more in the same spirit as this house. Our clothes are drab, our music is ugly and so on. If I could afford it, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it.