Michael J. Fox Lived Here: Lottery Hill Farm in Vermont

by hookedonhouses on April 7, 2013

Lottery Hill Farm for sale Woodstock VT 525This handsome red-brick Federal-style house on a 121-acre horse farm in Vermont has some celebrity pedigree, having been owned at one time by Michael J. Fox. It’s known as Lottery Hill Farm because it was built with the winnings from the Louisiana lottery in 1817.

Lottery Hill Farm Woodstock Vermont (7)

The main house has 6 bedrooms and 9 fireplaces.

Lottery Hill Farm Woodstock Vermont (10)

The listing says: “Period craftsmanship is evident throughout the interior. The first floor formal rooms are elegantly proportioned and have high ceilings, crown molding, raised panel wainscoting and original four panel doors.”

Lottery Hill Farm Woodstock Vermont (6)

“The chef’s kitchen features a well-planned workspace, an attached butler’s pantry and opens onto a breakfast room looking out onto a large covered porch.”

Lottery Hill Farm Woodstock Vermont (3)

“The house also features twelve over twelve windows and a variety of wood flooring throughout.”

Lottery Hill Farm Woodstock Vermont (11)

“A large barn provides ample storage as well as an incorporated one-bedroom apartment with studio. The numerous outbuildings, run in sheds, riding ring and in-ground pool complete the property.”

Lottery Hill Farm Woodstock Vermont (2)

“The estate’s country setting includes immediate access to the Green Mountain Horse Association trail system, fenced pasture, rolling meadows, ponds, a year round stream and mixed northern hardwood forests.”

Lottery Hill Farm Woodstock Vermont (9)

When Michael J. Fox owned the property, he had a 3-bedroom guest house built on it. I wish they included photos of it in the listing!

Michael J Fox as Louis Canning on The Good Wife

As an aside, have you seen Fox on The Good Wife playing a rival attorney named Louis Canning? I always love it when he’s in an episode and challenging Alicia in court. (By the way, I wrote about Alicia’s cool Chicago apartment last year–you can see it here.)

Lottery Hill Farm Woodstock Vermont in the snow

Asking price is $2.75 million. For more photos and information, visit the Lottery Hill Farm website and Curbed. (Thanks to Kim for telling me about it!)

P.S. One of the first Celebrity Houses I featured on my blog, back in 2008, was…

Michael J. Fox and Tracy Pollan's house in Southampton

Michael J. Fox & Tracy Pollan’s House in the Hamptons

Want to get my weekly newsletter via email so you don’t miss anything?

Lisa April 7, 2013 at 8:10 am

This house and property are so charming! I love the view from the back porch.

I love how you tell us the styles of houses, like this one is a Federal. I am being educated! Is there a book with all the different names for different house types?

We were lucky enough to spend 6 weeks in Vermont once in the fall of 2009. It is the prettiest place we’ve ever been. Like a picture postcard.

Laura April 7, 2013 at 9:05 am

I like this couple’s taste in houses and locations. I think I saw their Connecticut house once and it was really nice. I’d have to change the colonial-type furnishings, but other than that it’s amazing.

martha April 7, 2013 at 10:10 am

So charming! I love the beamed ceilings and wide plank floors in the kitchen and breakfast area and of course the windows!

House Crazy Sarah April 7, 2013 at 10:59 am

Love that washed red brick on the exterior – reminds me of my house! What a neat history behind this house… I had no idea they had big monetray lotteries way back then!

Jano April 7, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Lotteries have existed for over a thousand years. In Europe, roughly starting in the 1500s, lotteries were used to finance military operations, as well as to infuse cash into governments brought to the brink by various causes, financial and military misadventures among them. In the United States, monetary lotteries started to take hold early in the country’s history. Many were used to fund public building, including the construction of schools. Isn’t it funny how politicians today still talk about lottery proceeds going toward education but the money doesn’t quite make it there, does it? Back in the 1700s, local taxing authority was a highly mixed bag, as was currency. I suppose communities used the lotteries as sort of a voluntary tax because participation wasn’t mandated. It would be interesting to know how many public structures were built or founded upon a local lottery.

hookedonhouses April 7, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Interesting! Thanks, Jano.

Nita April 7, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Did we ever find out where Tori Spelling moved? I don’t know if her show is coming back. You wonder why these celebs move soooo much.

hookedonhouses April 7, 2013 at 2:13 pm

She was renting a big house in Thousand Oaks last I heard. No idea if they’re still there or not, but I’m assuming when they buy something it will make news! They always seem to, anyway. :)

Julie B. [Holland] April 8, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I was wondering about Tori and Dean too thanks for the update, Nita I wish their show would come back on too , but she reveals alot about their life on her blog.

65andcounting April 7, 2013 at 3:56 pm

This is one of those houses that is pretty to look at but tough to actually own and live in. The barn – what a huge thing to maintain. Looks like it’s already having some structural issues. And 121 acres. Pretty, but it means a lot of maintenance too. I am sure the Fox’s didn’t have to worry about such mundane problems but for most of us, the reality of owning so much land is prohibitive today.

Woodstock is one of those picture postcard towns. Been there many times. But it’s not a commutable town so many who live there are retired with lots of $$, or like the Fox’s, this home is one of several and they come seasonally.

I like to visit Woodstock. Not sure I could live there year-round.

Esther George April 7, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Hi Julia I just convinced hubby to go out and buy another Lotto ticket Vermont sounds good I’m not sure about the cold I do spend winters sitting on the heater. This is such a beautiful property thank you for sharing. I think I need another cup of coffee after this. The kitchen the dining the everything I LOVE IT…..Regards Esther from Sydney.

Destiny April 7, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Both my mother and sister were born in Woodstock, (My sister was the last baby born in the Woodstock Hospital before it was turned into a jail/prison … a little known fact that cracks me up!) and my mother still lives locally. Vermont IS one of the prettiest places to visit/live, so this post makes me both happy and a little homesick. This is a gorgeous house with amazing grounds, and the heart of this Yankee girl/Southern woman beats fast at the sight of a red barn and silo…

It’s always amazing to me that people, especially celebrities, move as often as they do, living in each other’s houses. When I buy/live in a house, I give myself over to it and deep emotions, and memories, are formed. Leaving, even for positive reasons, is hard for me. I would find house jumping like so many people do extremely hard. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Carolyn April 7, 2013 at 9:36 pm

I agree with you. I’m a nester. Even though I love looking at and dreaming about houses, and worked in design and construction of them, I’ve been in the same (old) house for 25 years. Of course if I had the money celebrities do, I might have been tempted to pursue that ideal dream house. But I could never be a flipper — buy, fix-up, and sell, buy another one. Too emotionally invested in my home and sense of place. This Vermont farm is lovely. My daughter-in-law’s family is from Vermont, and hope to go there one day.

Nancy Hood April 7, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Beautiful. Wonder why they sold it?

Kim April 8, 2013 at 1:23 am

Thank you for sharing this! I just love historical homes and it’s nice to see an old house like this well taken care of and preserved.

Maddie May April 8, 2013 at 5:44 am

Simply beautiful. As a fellow Canadian we love Michael very much & are so proud of how down to earth & genuine he has always been. I feel this home shows a true reflection of his personality & is not pretentious & over the top like unfortunately some celebrities seem to gravitate too. This feels real. When he lived there he probably created wonderful memories especially for his children. I’m sure the current owners enjoyed this home for the same reasons & a new family will have love for it as well.

The Country Girl April 8, 2013 at 7:07 am

Love the house and proximity to trails and other equestrian facilities! Wonderful property for the right family, but there is obvious deferred maintenance……that silo is about to fall over.

Anne H. April 8, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Now this is my kind of house! I absolutely love the attention to detail, the setting and pretty much everything else. Thanks Julia!!

{ 1 trackback }