Kitchen Week Day 4: Julia’s New Updated Kitchen

When a reader named Julia submitted these photos for my Hooked on Your Kitchens Contest, she explained that they did it all on a limited budget and in a short amount of time. Not only that, but they designed it themselves without the help of an architect or designer. Take a look:

Julia says, “We bought our first home in 2009. It’s a mid-century modern, post and beam construction and was in its original condition. We took the kitchen down to the studs and took down the wall separating it from the dining area to create more space for the new kitchen.”

“What I love about my kitchen is the ample natural light and the fact that it is open to the living room but still separated by a partial wall.”

Thanks to Julia for sharing it with us! This is Kitchen Week at Hooked on Houses. I’m going to show you two more readers’ kitchens today, so stay tuned!  :-)

Julia-simple teal signature

Miss Any of the Kitchen Contest Entries? Click here to see more, like…

Silvina's kitchen islandSilvina’s Kitchen in Argentina

Want to get my weekly newsletter via email so you don’t miss anything?

Maribeth's kitchen before
When Maribeth submitted her kitchen for my contest, she called it "Our Million-Dollar Dream Kitchen on an IKEA Budget." Her family of 5 lives in…
Kay's white kitchen black counters-cvr
Welcome to Kay's kitchen. She says, "We just remodeled our kitchen last summer. I was inspired by the beach house in the movie Something's Gotta…

Comments

1. Beth says

Good for them! That is gorgeous! A designer couldn’t have done it ant better.

2. Amanda R. says

So Pretty!! Do you know what counter was used on the massive island? I LOVE it!

• Julia says

Thank you Amanda. The countertop is Caesarstone quartz and the colour is “Blizzard”

3. Terry says

Everything about this kitchen is delectable. What puts it above and beyond is the light! What I wouldn’t give to have that sunlight streaming in and bathing everything. I would sleep in this room!

4. Barbara H. says

Catching up on posts – love this kitchen! The island is magnificent – love it’s split personality with seating on one side and wonderful storage on the other. Really, really nice!

5. Laura says

Love your kitchen. It is so nice. Also love the island top and the bar stools. Care to share where you purchased the stools? Thank you!

6. Alie B says

This is absolutely gorgeous, Julia! I can see that you have remained true to the modern post and beam style of the home, with your kitchen design choices. Well done! Congratulations! :)

Julia the kitchen looks amazing! You may have to start renting it out to production companies that are looking to shoot some films or TV commercials in home sets! Yours would be a perfect location.

You can do that – as I am sure you know. A homeowner can contact their state’s film commission and they can put you in touch with a person that handles locations in the state. That way if a film crew were coming to a state – they can find what locations are available for filming – a house, a farm, etc. Always a creative thought for those homeowners out there that have great home settings!

In the end, maybe that home would end up being featured on your site! All good!

Happy Spring! Enjoy your new space.

8. Mickey says

Hi Julia,
    All I can say it is an absolutely amazing makeover! I cannot believe what you have done to your kitchen. Modern, elegant, timeless beauty… i wish you can do my kitchen….. could you come over????

I think if Stephen Saint-Onge complimented my home like that, my ego would be the size of a hot-air balloon. It’s also nice to see a kitchen with more of a modern aestethic thrown into the mix. Well done, you!