A Shingled House with Aqua Shutters on Cape Cod

Polhemus Savery DaSilver shingled house turquoise shuttersI have been a fan of the architecture firm Polhemus Savery DaSilva (try saying that three times fast!) for a long time. I have their book Shingled Houses in the Summer Sun and have featured their work a couple times before (one of my favorite remodels was an Italianate-style house from the 1880s). So I was excited to see this one with the charming aqua door and shutters…

shingled house turquoise shutters Cape Cod

The landscaping is lovely, too. Those daisies! Those hydrangeas!

paneled ceiling blue and white living room Cape Cod

There’s a “fish” theme happening here–note the fabric on the sofa above and the pendant lights below:

Cape Cod kitchen table and island

white and turquoise kitchen Cape Cod

built-in bar in Cape Cod kitchen

Michael Graves said of their work: “The world of Polhemus Savery DaSilva is so enormously refreshing . . . a body of uncompromising domestic architecture.”

beachy bedroom with a view Cape Cod

beachy mudroom-laundry room Cape Cod

I wouldn’t mind sitting right here beside the pool right now (although it’s probably a little chilly out there today!):

poolside in Cape Cod-shingled house

Thanks to one of my favorite blogs, House of Turquoise, for featuring this one. Erin actually came across the house on vacation and snapped a photo of it herself. I wouldn’t have been able to resist taking one, either!

shingled house turquoise shutters Cape Cod 2

Visit Polhemus Savery DaSilva to see more gorgeous houses in their portfolio and to learn more about their work. Photos by Brian Vanden Brink.

You might also like this house they worked on:

gable after remodeling-Polhemus Savery DaSilva

Restoring an Italianate-Style House from the 1800s

P.S. Thanks to all of you who voted for my blog over at Apartment Therapy’s Contest and subscribed to my new newsletter yesterday (if you want to be on my mailing list, click here). I appreciate all your support! ~Julia  :-)

Dwell Modern beach house Nadel
Areader named Rebecca had the chance to attend a Dwell Home Tour in San Diego recently and took some photos of this modern beach house…
2582 Regents Walk Germantown TN ext
A reader and architect named David wrote me about the house he designed for his family in Germantown, Tennessee: "It's in an older neighborhood, developed…

1. Laura says

For a new house (very much an old house fan here), it’s beautifully done. I wonder where on the Cape it is?

• Laura says

Very nice – I know just where that is. My parents live in Brewster. Love to visit the Cape – so many beautiful places and lovely houses. I’d pick Chatham to live in myself (if I could afford it!)

• cheryl says

We spend a week there every summer, and I remember walking up and peeking in all of the windows right after it was built. My husband was mortified :)

2. Beth C. says

Those starfish cutouts on the shutters are adorable!

Hi Julia,

I AM IN LOVE! This house is STUNNING, inside and out! The marine colour palette, the relaxed and casal mood, the LANDSCAPING!!! Simply gorgeous. Thanks for warming up my day here in SNOWY, STORMY Toronto.

Have a bright and beautiful weekend,

4. Alie B says

You sadistic woman, Julia….featuring this gorgeous summer retreat on one of the worst winter days of the year! Kidding! It’s lovely to dream. :) Beautiful home!

What a fun surprise so see this amazing home on your blog today! I cannot get over how incredible it is…those shutters! Ahh! Their firm does fantastic work. I have their book too; it’s a good one!

Thank you so much for the kind shout out, it’s much appreciated! Have a great weekend, Julia!

6. Teresa says

What a gorgeous house to look at on such a winter day. Those aqua shutters with the starfish cutouts just make the house stand out! I just love Cape Cod and all its wonderful cottages, inns and beaches but I dont think I would want to be there today!

7. Christina from Dallas says

Sooo charming! I love the shutters the most. I love a beachy themed house.

8. Tricia says

OMGGGGGG!! Love this house! Well, I agree about the fishy sofa, and the whole fish theme in general, but woweee! I’m lusting after that kitchen and the bar photo is being added to my pinterest immediately.

9. carla says

a beautiful, tastefully done home! I want to live there!!! :)

What a fun dose of summer in Feb! Love that glossy ceiling in the family room, & these pics make me wish I could grow hydrangeas in the desert! That pool shot looks like it could be from the set of Something’s Gotta Give. I could definitely enjoy a cold lemonade out by that pool!

11. Rebecca C. says

I absolutely love the colors in this house. Well done.

12. 65andcounting says

Aaah, such a perfect day to show a bright cheery beautiful sunny summer house….especially for those of us where the snow is falling like crazy already and the winds picking up. I plan to keep this blog page as my home screen…that is, until the power goes out when we hit the two feet of snow predicted.

Could move in to this home tomorrow. Love the tin fish lamps over the kitchen island especially.

When can I move in?

Such an adorable home, and I love everything about the decor. From the whimsical starfish collection, to the open light and airy rooms.

14. Jen says

So beautiful feels like something out of fairtale cartoon

I must say this is probably in my top 5 of houses you have shown us. There is not one thing I would want different. From the landscape to the inside… it is a lovely HOME.
    I check your site everyday..usually at work!! It helps to brighten my day..really. I am such an architecture buff and I love seeing all these homes.. truly,

16. Jenny says

Wonderful. I don’t think kids whine, fight or spill at houses that pretty.

17. Natalie says

Ohhhh i’m in love. and now i want a bar/serve area in the dining room just like that. love love love

18. AB says

This is by far my favorite house that you’ve featured, Julia. I have a thing for cedar shake. My only quip are the star cutouts in the shutters. Pure perfection.

19. Brandy says

You find the best eye candy, Julia!
    btw, Love the newsletter :-)

20. Kim says

What a wonderful house! My favorite is the exterior and landscaping. It’s so peaceful and beautiful. I would spend a lot of time outside during the summer if I owned this house.

21. The Country Girl says

Those small little windows scrunched up against the big front gable….what happened to the design process there?

22. Destiny says

This IS my favorite house that you’ve featured. (Although, I have issues with balance so, I kind of want to add another window to the front of the house – on the porch.) Reminicing about summers spent on the Cape brought unexpected tears to my eyes.

On another note: I LOVE your newsletter! It’s so well done and something I’m really going to enjoy. Thank you for it! That “Be Choosy” quote is going somewhere in my home, as it perfectly expresses who I am and how I live.

23. Esther George says

Hi Julia what can any of us say but Just Beautiful the landscaping Wow…. Just when all the garden catalogues have arrived… Tempting…. Thank you for making my day as always. Regards Esther from Sydney… PS never miss your blog.

24. Screendoorgirl 3 says

This house is so beautiful inside and out . I love those shutters, and the hydrangeas! Thanks for sharing..

25. martha says

Stunning! Truly an ageless home. As a lover of no window treatments, I especially loved this house.You can see evidence of shades in some of the windows (bedroom) and I appreciate that also. As much as I love unadorned windows, when I see them in bedrooms and baths without any means for privacy I feel like the home is just for show and not for real people.

26. Ginger says

Where oh where did they get that bedspread in the bedroom with the green, turquoise and yellow? Fabulous room!

27. nannecutler@aol.com says

great house!

i love a good shutter, particularly ones with cutouts that attach a personality or sense of place to the home.

28. nannecutler@aol.com says

gorgeous house!

i LOVE good shutters! good shutter dogs, good hinges, the right size, fine materials…cutouts are the icing on the shutter cake…particularly when they reflect the owners’ personality or give a sense of place to the home.

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I enjoyed this and I will be back for more. Thanks