A Mix of New and Vintage: Silvina’s Kitchen in Argentina

by hookedonhouses on February 6, 2013

Welcome to Silvina’s kitchen in Argentina, where her love for vintage collections and antique furniture is on display. She submitted these photos for my kitchen contest, saying, “Living through a big kitchen remodel can be difficult. But I remember those months as very happy ones because while walls were being removed and support beams were built, we enjoyed looking for old pieces of furniture for our new kitchen.”

“I love to see all my favorite things at a glance every day on the open shelves.”

“When we found this old shop counter we knew it would be perfect in the kitchen. It had been with a big cupboard for many years in a grocery, so of course we couldn’t separate them. We brought both of them home.”

“The cupboard was a perfect place for my collection of vintage children’s dishes.”

How sweet are these?

“This is the table where we always have dinner. It is an old drawing board.”

“I didn’t imagine it would be used by one of my daughters to draw her architectural plans, so some days we must beg her to leave the table.”

“I have two sinks below the windows. I wanted those fantastic farm sinks that I have been watching through magazines and blogs. But it’s essential for me to wash dishes in a broken up sink into two sections and as I couldn’t find one like that…I came up with two! (Farm sinks are not very common here for kitchens.)”

“For this wall, we decided to look for vintage ads in old magazines and we framed them:”

“I wanted subway tile but I couldn’t find them so finally I bought some square ones and had them cut in half.”

Thanks, Silvina! I love hearing from readers in different parts of the world, and it’s inspiring to see how resourceful she was in making her kitchen her own. For more photos and information visit her blog Tazas & Cuentos (Cups & Stories).

This is one of my Kitchen Contest entries. Thanks for keeping the comments about your fellow readers’ houses polite and positive, as always! :-)

Julia-simple teal signature

Click Here to See More Contest Entries, Including…

Julie's kitchen-Valentine's DayDecorating for the Seasons in Julie’s Kitchen

Candice's kitchen teapot collection afterGiving a 1930s Kitchen Some Old-Fashioned Charm

Amanda's kitchen after makeoverAmanda’s Empty-Nest Kitchen in Arizona

House Crazy Sarah February 6, 2013 at 9:11 am

Great vintage charm – delightful collection of children’s plates! The old cupboard looks perfect in there – like it is built right in!

Katy February 6, 2013 at 9:39 am

love that old cupboard and the collections!

Caroline February 6, 2013 at 10:01 am

Already this is one of my all time favorite kitchens. If only it were mine!

Terry February 6, 2013 at 10:27 am

Julia,
You torture me by posting amazing kitchen after amazing kitchen. But this one! This is it. There isn’t a single thing I don’t love. The light, the windows over the sinks, the table, just the feeling. I hit me as I browsed the photos – there is nothing here that doesn’t have meaning, that isn’t loved and used. I will never get this room out of my mind.

ShabbyChick February 6, 2013 at 11:14 am

I feel exactly the same way! All of these kitchens are perfect enough to weep over.

Jennah February 7, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I can’t think of anything else to say except “ditto”!!!!

Amanda February 6, 2013 at 10:27 am

Silvina, I love how you put your great kitchen together. Peeked in at your blog and saw some great ideas there, too!

Luciane at HomeBunch.com February 6, 2013 at 10:35 am

How great is that kitchen? This is beautiful, charming and very, very warm.

I love the fact it’s in Argentina– a place I love and w/ people I adore. I just could go on and on about their soccer team, after all, I’m originally from Brazil. I’m JUST KIDDING, Argentinians!!! LOL :-)

By the way, thank you so much for dropping by and leaving a comment, Julia. I was happy to see you there! :-)

Have a Blessed day, my friend.

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Laura February 6, 2013 at 10:44 am

Beautiful kitchen! I love the vintage furniture and dishes, love the colors with the white, the sinks, the marble counters. Very large and light, but homey too.

Laura February 6, 2013 at 11:35 am

also – LOVE that she has no built in cabinets!!!

Shay February 6, 2013 at 10:51 am

Great job getting everything organized so perfectly!

ShabbyChick February 6, 2013 at 11:12 am

How are you ever going to pick a favorite kitchen?!? I nearly cry every time I see a new kitchen on here – they are all so wonderful! *sighs* ;)

hookedonhouses February 6, 2013 at 11:22 am

I have NO idea. When I asked for entries I was just hoping to get at least 20. I got many times more than that and am still sorting through them all. My readers cook in a lot of gorgeous kitchens!! :-)

ShabbyChick February 7, 2013 at 10:43 am

You are much loved, Julia….everyone is pining to be featured on your wonderful blog. ;)

hookedonhouses February 7, 2013 at 1:36 pm

You are so sweet. Thanks! :-)

Signe February 6, 2013 at 11:21 am

I LOVE this kitchen… so full of personality and a place to really enjoy spending time! Thanks for sharing!

W H Stoneman February 6, 2013 at 11:23 am

Too much to dust!!

Jen M February 6, 2013 at 11:30 am

Amazing kitchen! You can tell how much thought she put into it. The vintage finds really make it special.

Linda W February 6, 2013 at 11:48 am

So lovely! The collections of china and other things are beautiful on display and give the room such a warm, homey feeling! I love the double farm sinks as well….very clever idea. A very sweet and charming space!

Kelly February 6, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Love this vintage-looking kitchen! So neat how her daughter is using the table!

Marcela February 6, 2013 at 2:41 pm

From an Argentinean to another, Congratulations, Silvina. Your kitchen looks beautiful, inviting, a place you would never want to leave…

Jen February 6, 2013 at 2:59 pm

you have me a thing for kitchens

Rie February 6, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Oooh, I love it. Homey and real!

Laurel@SopoCottage February 6, 2013 at 7:03 pm

This is such a fabulous kitchen! Love all the vintage touches and the sense of history they have created. Well done!

Wade Watson February 6, 2013 at 7:42 pm

The drafting table as a kitchen table is an unusual and interesting idea. I wouldn’t think more than two people could sit at it comfortably, though. I’ve passed over lots of those at business liquidation auctions. Computers have largely replaced hand drafting, so scores of them have been discarded.

Jane February 6, 2013 at 9:50 pm

I love this. It feels like a kitchen in areal home to me and I’d never tire of looking at the vintage children’s dishes, ads, and more. I’d feel comfortable there, nice and cozy. So personal, so unique! Absolute.y charming.

Sam February 7, 2013 at 6:00 am

I really love these competitions you publish! Would really love too see your kitchen Julia! I imagine it would be lovely :)

maddie February 7, 2013 at 7:21 am

This is absolutely one of the most charming kitchens I have ever seen, I love the personal touches but especially the children’s dishes. Wish this kitchen was mine.

lynda February 7, 2013 at 7:31 am

Just beautiful! Love the children’s dish sets. I thought I was the only crazy person with lots of children’s dish sets. I have used them for baby showers! I have a few of the same ones you have. Your kitchen is art.

Cindy February 7, 2013 at 10:25 am

Loooooooooove! I love the mix of new and old and how it looks lived in and loved. This one is a winner for me! :-)

Alie B February 7, 2013 at 10:49 am

Oh I love this one! The space is filled with warmth and nostalgia. Sigh…

Wendy February 7, 2013 at 11:10 am

I love kitchens that don’t have built ins. I love the choice of white marble. Love farm sinks. Love your colors.

Jennah February 7, 2013 at 12:23 pm

The epitome of “repurposed”. I’m in love with this kitchen. Everything has a function and yet it’s all so beautiful. I love collections on display and she has used her collections to add colour to such a bright space. I have one word for this kitchen – “covet”.

Christina from Dallas February 7, 2013 at 12:33 pm

In love with this kitchen! She is so resourceful too.Love those children’s dishes.

Carol February 7, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I love all the collections and the shop counter and cabinet are fantastic. Love the colors and the ingenuity.

Silvina from Tazas y Cuentos February 7, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Hello Julia!!!
Oh! You can’t imagine how happy I am looking at this post! You made my day! my week…!
It’s a honor for me to be here in your fabulous blog. I always enjoy visiting you and encourage my friends to do it, I specially love all your posts about films and series houses.
I was very moved by the messages of your followers, so nice of them…
Thank you very much, Julia and a big hug (“un gran abrazo”) from Argentina.
Silvina

Rachel February 8, 2013 at 6:58 am

This is just beautiful. Love the counters…what a fun mix!
Could look at the pictures all day.
Thank you for sharing.

susan February 9, 2013 at 11:29 am

Love all the quirky details in this kitchen! It is apparent that much thought went into the renovation. It is so refreshing to see a functioning kitchen with charm and personality shining through. The children’s dish collection is the perfect finishing touch!

Catherine (Vintage Home Accessories) February 10, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Love the picture feature wall. The vintage newspaper ads are a great idea!

Marcia @Gathering at the Table June 25, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I have long loved Silvina’s kitchen, one of my favorites in blogland.
Great choice!