A Mix of New and Vintage: Silvina’s Kitchen in Argentina

Welcome to Silvina’s kitchen in Argentina, where her love for vintage collections and antique furniture is on display. She submitted these photos for my kitchen contest, saying, “Living through a big kitchen remodel can be difficult. But I remember those months as very happy ones because while walls were being removed and support beams were built, we enjoyed looking for old pieces of furniture for our new kitchen.”

“I love to see all my favorite things at a glance every day on the open shelves.”

“When we found this old shop counter we knew it would be perfect in the kitchen. It had been with a big cupboard for many years in a grocery, so of course we couldn’t separate them. We brought both of them home.”

“The cupboard was a perfect place for my collection of vintage children’s dishes.”

How sweet are these?

“This is the table where we always have dinner. It is an old drawing board.”

“I didn’t imagine it would be used by one of my daughters to draw her architectural plans, so some days we must beg her to leave the table.”

“I have two sinks below the windows. I wanted those fantastic farm sinks that I have been watching through magazines and blogs. But it’s essential for me to wash dishes in a broken up sink into two sections and as I couldn’t find one like that…I came up with two! (Farm sinks are not very common here for kitchens.)”

“For this wall, we decided to look for vintage ads in old magazines and we framed them:”

“I wanted subway tile but I couldn’t find them so finally I bought some square ones and had them cut in half.”

Thanks, Silvina! I love hearing from readers in different parts of the world, and it’s inspiring to see how resourceful she was in making her kitchen her own. For more photos and information visit her blog Tazas & Cuentos (Cups & Stories).

This is one of my Kitchen Contest entries. Thanks for keeping the comments about your fellow readers’ houses polite and positive, as always! :-)

Julia-simple teal signature

Click Here to See More Contest Entries, Including…

Julie's kitchen-Valentine's DayDecorating for the Seasons in Julie’s Kitchen

Candice's kitchen teapot collection afterGiving a 1930s Kitchen Some Old-Fashioned Charm

Amanda's kitchen after makeoverAmanda’s Empty-Nest Kitchen in Arizona

Kathleen's white kitchen 3
Let's face it, Not all of us have enough space in our houses for big gourmet kitchens with giant islands floating in the center of…
2582 Regents Walk Germantown TN ext
A reader and architect named David wrote me about the house he designed for his family in Germantown, Tennessee: "It's in an older neighborhood, developed…

Comments

Great vintage charm – delightful collection of children’s plates! The old cupboard looks perfect in there – like it is built right in!

2. Caroline says

Already this is one of my all time favorite kitchens. If only it were mine!

3. Terry says

Julia,
    You torture me by posting amazing kitchen after amazing kitchen. But this one! This is it. There isn’t a single thing I don’t love. The light, the windows over the sinks, the table, just the feeling. I hit me as I browsed the photos – there is nothing here that doesn’t have meaning, that isn’t loved and used. I will never get this room out of my mind.

• ShabbyChick says

I feel exactly the same way! All of these kitchens are perfect enough to weep over.

• Jennah says

I can’t think of anything else to say except “ditto”!!!!

Silvina, I love how you put your great kitchen together. Peeked in at your blog and saw some great ideas there, too!

How great is that kitchen? This is beautiful, charming and very, very warm.

I love the fact it’s in Argentina– a place I love and w/ people I adore. I just could go on and on about their soccer team, after all, I’m originally from Brazil. I’m JUST KIDDING, Argentinians!!! LOL :-)

By the way, thank you so much for dropping by and leaving a comment, Julia. I was happy to see you there! :-)

Have a Blessed day, my friend.

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

6. Laura says

Beautiful kitchen! I love the vintage furniture and dishes, love the colors with the white, the sinks, the marble counters. Very large and light, but homey too.

7. ShabbyChick says

How are you ever going to pick a favorite kitchen?!? I nearly cry every time I see a new kitchen on here – they are all so wonderful! *sighs* 😉

• says

I have NO idea. When I asked for entries I was just hoping to get at least 20. I got many times more than that and am still sorting through them all. My readers cook in a lot of gorgeous kitchens!! :-)

8. Signe says

I LOVE this kitchen… so full of personality and a place to really enjoy spending time! Thanks for sharing!

9. Jen M says

Amazing kitchen! You can tell how much thought she put into it. The vintage finds really make it special.

10. Linda W says

So lovely! The collections of china and other things are beautiful on display and give the room such a warm, homey feeling! I love the double farm sinks as well….very clever idea. A very sweet and charming space!

11. Kelly says

Love this vintage-looking kitchen! So neat how her daughter is using the table!

12. Marcela says

From an Argentinean to another, Congratulations, Silvina. Your kitchen looks beautiful, inviting, a place you would never want to leave…

13. Wade Watson says

The drafting table as a kitchen table is an unusual and interesting idea. I wouldn’t think more than two people could sit at it comfortably, though. I’ve passed over lots of those at business liquidation auctions. Computers have largely replaced hand drafting, so scores of them have been discarded.

14. Jane says

I love this. It feels like a kitchen in areal home to me and I’d never tire of looking at the vintage children’s dishes, ads, and more. I’d feel comfortable there, nice and cozy. So personal, so unique! Absolute.y charming.

15. Sam says

I really love these competitions you publish! Would really love too see your kitchen Julia! I imagine it would be lovely :)

16. maddie says

This is absolutely one of the most charming kitchens I have ever seen, I love the personal touches but especially the children’s dishes. Wish this kitchen was mine.

17. lynda says

Just beautiful! Love the children’s dish sets. I thought I was the only crazy person with lots of children’s dish sets. I have used them for baby showers! I have a few of the same ones you have. Your kitchen is art.

18. Cindy says

Loooooooooove! I love the mix of new and old and how it looks lived in and loved. This one is a winner for me! :-)

19. Alie B says

Oh I love this one! The space is filled with warmth and nostalgia. Sigh…

20. Wendy says

I love kitchens that don’t have built ins. I love the choice of white marble. Love farm sinks. Love your colors.

21. Jennah says

The epitome of “repurposed”. I’m in love with this kitchen. Everything has a function and yet it’s all so beautiful. I love collections on display and she has used her collections to add colour to such a bright space. I have one word for this kitchen – “covet”.

22. Christina from Dallas says

In love with this kitchen! She is so resourceful too.Love those children’s dishes.

23. Carol says

I love all the collections and the shop counter and cabinet are fantastic. Love the colors and the ingenuity.

Hello Julia!!!
    Oh! You can’t imagine how happy I am looking at this post! You made my day! my week…!
    It’s a honor for me to be here in your fabulous blog. I always enjoy visiting you and encourage my friends to do it, I specially love all your posts about films and series houses.
    I was very moved by the messages of your followers, so nice of them…
    Thank you very much, Julia and a big hug (“un gran abrazo”) from Argentina.
    Silvina

25. Rachel says

This is just beautiful. Love the counters…what a fun mix!
    Could look at the pictures all day.
    Thank you for sharing.

26. susan says

Love all the quirky details in this kitchen! It is apparent that much thought went into the renovation. It is so refreshing to see a functioning kitchen with charm and personality shining through. The children’s dish collection is the perfect finishing touch!