Before & After: Chania’s Cottage Kitchen in Ontario

by hookedonhouses on January 15, 2013

Chania submitted these before and after photos of her kitchen in Ontario for my contest and I love how she gave the space some much-needed personality. She says that when they bought this tiny cottage, “it showed like a dog with fleas. The kitchen was so ho-hum, it was crying out for a makeover.”

Chania says, “I painted all the cupboards, changed the hardware and added lots of authentic collections that I found in the Grey Bruce region of Ontario where the cottage is.”

“My favourite part is the island. It was a horrible laminate with green counters. I found 2 old doors and had a neighbour friend panel the island with them. He then covered the counters with authentic barnboard that he got from a farmer who was tearing his barn down….part of why I loved this kitchen.”

They have since sold the cottage–you may recall that I featured her new kitchen in Florida. For more photos and information about this makeover, visit Chania’s blog Razmataz.

All week I’m featuring kitchen makeovers readers submitted for my contest. Miss any?

Poppy's red and white kitchen after makeoverPoppy’s Kitchen in Greece

Missi's kitchen after reno blue island

6 Dramatic Kitchen Renos

Alie B January 15, 2013 at 8:29 am

What a transformation! I love that the original cupboards were given a facelift, rather than trashed and replaced. That island is to die for! And the buffet is a bit like yours, Julia, only white! :-)

Colleen January 15, 2013 at 8:52 am

I love the makeover, another attestation to what a coat of paint can do! And that is the only way to do an island, with a step up to hide the mess in the kitchen when you are at the dining table. Without that, forget it! We redid our first floor and that was my MUST.

Miss Emily January 15, 2013 at 8:53 am

What a great job! Re-using what’s still good instead of throwing it all away for the latest fad. It looks very nice and crisp! Excellent!

Luciane at HomeBunch.com January 15, 2013 at 9:33 am

What a great transformation!!!

She did an amazing job here and I love the results. :-)

Have a Wonderful day Julia and thank you for the mention the other day. I appreciate it, my friend.

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Katy January 15, 2013 at 9:38 am

Love it, a very cute makeover. Love tiny cottages, have you added any new ones to your cottage page recently? *going to check*

Razmataz January 15, 2013 at 9:56 am

Thank you so much for the mention!

Erin January 15, 2013 at 10:19 am

I am loving all these “real life” make-overs. It is so fun to see the individual personalities that are manifested in these creative designs! Thanks for sharing!

hookedonhouses January 16, 2013 at 7:47 am

Isn’t it? I agree!

Melissa L. January 15, 2013 at 10:52 am

Actually, I like both versions of this kitchen. The new remodel is more up-to-date and fits the current trends, but I liked the colors and restraint in the original version too. I wonder what the very large white box is above the stove?

Sarah January 15, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I think that box is the air conditioning unit.

LoriD January 15, 2013 at 10:58 am

Love that island. Need to find someone who is tearing down a barn!

hookedonhouses January 16, 2013 at 7:46 am

Ha! I know, right?

cassie {hi sugarplum} January 15, 2013 at 11:00 am

Hi Julia! I pop in on your blog quite frequently…but thought today I’d actually say, ‘hello’ since we’re both hanging out at Emily’s. :) Loved reading your answers…I’m hoping some of that prowess rubs off on my and I can eventually leave my day job! xoxo

hookedonhouses January 16, 2013 at 7:46 am

Hi Cassie! Loved reading your answers to Emily’s questions, too.

We were interviewed over at Emily A. Clark’s blog this week along with 3 other bloggers, which was fun. You can read the post here: http://emilyaclark.blogspot.com/2013/01/5-questions-for-5-bloggers.html

Laura January 15, 2013 at 11:51 am

I also love that she worked with what she had. The lighting fixture is great, and so is the rest of the decor. Well done!

ShabbyChick January 15, 2013 at 11:52 am

One word: perfect. She has my decorating style. I love the rustic countertop and all the fun little homey touches…I’m a sucker for the “collected over time” look. ;)

Jen January 15, 2013 at 12:08 pm

what nice job love when people re use stuff

Kelly January 15, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Love it, especially the wood counter!

Terry January 15, 2013 at 7:28 pm

My kitchen isn’t (yet) as cozy as this one but I painted my cabinets from builder’s honey oak to white and the transformation was breathtaking. I plan to take out the existing counter tops and replace them with wood (one thing at a time). I can’t wait. I think about it all the time. I also am putting in wood floors. My husband thinks I am NUTS! “Wood in the kitchen, with all that water?!” I asked him about the thousands of years of wooden boats. That has stopped the chatter for a while. I will show him this kitchen, which should shut him up for good! Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!

Terry January 15, 2013 at 7:37 pm

I was out of town for about 4 days and just catching up. The Kardashian site is closed? Really? Just wanted to say that some things are sacred. I hope this is a Kardashian-free zone. That’s it. Nothing snarky. Was just surprised.

Terry January 15, 2013 at 7:39 pm

PS: I meant to say that I was surprised that she made it on to this site.

hookedonhouses January 16, 2013 at 7:40 am

I feature all kinds of celebrity houses here (http://hookedonhouses.net/celebrity-houses/). Just because some readers don’t like a certain celeb doesn’t mean it isn’t fun to see where they live! At least I think so. :-)

Dria @ Dio January 16, 2013 at 8:08 am

What a beautiful transformation! It doesn’t even look like the same space, they did a fantastic job!!

Jim January 16, 2013 at 10:30 am

Great makeover Chania! And yes, those wooden barn planks are wonderful and make the kitchen!! Really good job.

Lori Sellers January 16, 2013 at 10:45 am

If there were an award for best cosmetic kitchen redo, this should win! The bardboard and old door on the island are brilliant. Of course, I might be biased. I have those exact same puke orange cabinets. I’m going out and buying a can of paint…

maryrose January 17, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Oh my! I LOVE the countertops on the island! But I think my favorite thing about this kitchen is that it is so personalized with sweet little collectibles, like the globes and vintage tins. Charming!

{ 1 trackback }