Jodie’s New Southern Kitchen in Nightingale House

by hookedonhouses on November 27, 2012

Welcome to Jodie’s Southern Federal-style home known as Nightingale House. The kitchen–which wasn’t original to the house, but was built after a fire in the ’50s–was in bad shape, so they cleared out the old cabinets and flooring and started over. She says, “It isn’t anything super fancy, but I love my kitchen because everything was hand-picked to create my dream space.” Take a look:

She explains: “The backsplash and quartz countertops are a warm caramel color that makes it feel so cozy against the rich tone of the cherry cabinets. The overall look I was going for was a bit more formal than a typical country kitchen. At the same time, I still wanted to bring in some aged textures as I did with the butcher’s table made of reclaimed wood.”

“The copper light fixture above the butcher’s table adds a steam punk element. At the end of the day, it’s still a work room but it’s pretty to look at and cozy for family to gather in, which is very important to me,” Jodie writes.

“From the ornate Victorian outlet covers and bin pulls to the seeded glass selected for the apothecary-style cabinet doors, it’s made up of bits and pieces of a time gone by. I wanted modern functionality, but with Victorian style.”

You can see more photos, including ones of how it looked when there was faux-marble flooring and water-damaged cabinets in the room, on her blog I Heart Houses.

Jodie is famous on YouTube for performing funny spoofs of music videos (you may know her as “Venetian Princess”). The Insider ran a segment on her and how her online success made it possible for her to buy the historic house of her dreams that you can watch here.

Her house was also featured in Romantic Homes magazine, beautifully decorated for Christmas.

Thanks to Jodie for entering my Hooked on Your Kitchens Contest. I’ll be showing you more of them this week. As always, thanks for keeping the comments about your fellow readers’ houses polite and positive! -Julia :-)

The Kitchen Entries I’ve Featured So Far:

Amanda November 27, 2012 at 9:09 am

Jodie, I peeked at your blog and saw the before photos you are certainly someone I can relate to! You shop at Lowe’s, Ross, and Kirkland, and it sounds like you’re never afraid to reach for a can of spray paint. Finally, when you’re finished, you end up with a marvelous space. Well done!

House Crazy Sarah November 27, 2012 at 9:09 am

This kitchen is so rich and elegant – very effective with the dark cherry wood combined with lighter colored counters & backsplash. Very classy!
“Steam punk” light fixture – love it!

Kelly - Talk of the House November 27, 2012 at 9:09 am

The table in the middle of the room and the light fixure over it are absolutely gorgeous!!

Julie November 27, 2012 at 10:08 am

While I find her kitchen beautiful, if you were going to that kind of expense wouldn’t you have built in a microwave instead of leaving one sitting out on the counter? I would have rather had that than the plate rack but I suppose its personal preference.

Deb November 27, 2012 at 11:08 am

Isn’t that the microwave built in above the stove? I see a toaster oven on the counter but no microwave….

Penne November 27, 2012 at 11:10 am

She does have a built in microwave/range – I think you saw her toaster oven. :-)

Brandy November 27, 2012 at 11:30 am

Very pretty kitchen, but not at all what I expected to see.

Jodie November 27, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Wow thank you so much for including my kitchen in your Hooked on Kitchens post. I am such a fan of this blog! All of the kitchen so far have been absolutely stunning. I’ve been saving pictures for inspiration for my next kitchen.

Jodie November 27, 2012 at 12:27 pm

*kitchens

Shabby Chick November 27, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Gorgeous! This contest was a super idea…it’s so fun to see the variety of tastes in your readership! ;)

Kelly November 27, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Love the kitchen and home! Make sure to check out her You Tube channel via the link on her blog-wow!

hookedonhouses November 27, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Yes, definitely check out her videos!

Kim November 27, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I love Jodie’s kitchen. The back splash, counter tops, and cabinets all go together perfectly. I also love her home. It’s very classy.

Rebecca@MidcenturyModernRemodel November 27, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I just watched the video about her video career. AWESOME. Who doesn’t enjoy a crazy wild internet success story? This kitchen is functional, cozy and smart looking! I like using the narrow Butler’s table to create the island functionality without dumping the big island into the middle of the kitchen. We have a small kitchen, so I’ll save this in my “ideas for the kitchen gut” folder.

Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) November 27, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Beautiful house! Great tour, Julia! :)