Lisa’s Cozy Mountain Hideaway in Fall

by hookedonhouses on November 19, 2012

When Lisa sent me photos of her home in the mountains of North Carolina, I sat back and sighed. Ahhh. This looks like the perfect fall retreat to me. So warm and cozy with panoramic views of the autumn leaves. She said I could share them with you, so come on in!

I have a thing for big stone fireplaces like this and have always wanted one. And maybe a mountain retreat to go with it…

I could just feel myself relaxing while I looked at these rooms. Everything is so warm and welcoming.

I love the range in this kitchen with the mantel-style hood above it:

The Breakfast Room:

She says this cozy nook is a favorite place to read (when she’s not in front of the fire, that is!):

An upstairs sitting room that opens to her art studio:

Lisa loves window seats, and her studio has one:

Another cozy spot for reading:

She says she was going for a “feminine rustic” look in her bedroom:

See the bear-shaped shadow in the next photo? Lisa tells me it’s made by Whiteside Mountain, one of the oldest mountains in the world. It’s only visible for a couple of weeks at the end of October and in February when the sun is in the right spot:

The view from her porch is just stunning:

What I’d give to be curled up right there, right now, with a big mug of hot chocolate in my hand. Many thanks to Lisa for inviting us in so we can daydream a little today! (And, as always, please keep the comments polite and positive.)

P.S. You might also like to see…

Lisa’s Lovely Beach House on Sea Island

Marta November 19, 2012 at 8:59 am

This is beautiful! Thank you for sharing another reader’s home . . . they’re so fun to see. I love the feminine touch. The tole trays and floral rugs, beautiful pillows. I’ll go back and look at this again. It’s very inspiring!

Amanda November 19, 2012 at 9:02 am

The bear-shaped shadow is amazing! This beautiful retreat makes our old cabin in the mountains look like the unibomber’s hideout!

Annabelle Kopf November 19, 2012 at 10:04 am

You crack me up, Amanda!! Too funny! :)

Lisa Smith November 20, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I agree with you Annabelle! Amanda’s comment is great! Of course, as long as I can be in the mountains, I could even be happy in the unibomber’s hideout! Although a teeny, tiny log cabin would be JUST PERFECT as long as it had a good fireplace!

Carolyn November 19, 2012 at 9:12 am

Wow! This is gorgeous. Very refined southern rustic – with a sophisticated French, English, and Black Forest mix – and comfortable at the same time. Love its mountain character with all wood walls and ceilings – some natural, some painted – and floors. Amazing views. I’d love to have a kitchen range like that – is it an Aga? – but it would take up half of my kitchen. I, too, have a place in the North Carolina mountains, our bit of heaven, but not nearly as grand as this. Looking forward to Thanksgiving there.

T. November 19, 2012 at 9:14 am

I would feel right at home there! And that bear shadow is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Rachael November 19, 2012 at 9:32 am

I don’t think I would ever leave that spot by the fireplace! Those views are amazing, and I love the bear shadow! Gorgeous home.

Sherry November 19, 2012 at 9:39 am

Perfection!

Lisa November 19, 2012 at 9:44 am

Not only do I love the home, but my name is also Lisa and I paint, too! I swooned over the art studio.
This is the first home decorated in mountain/cabin style that I’ve actually liked. So many are overdone, but Lisa, yours is done well. Just the right touches without overwhelming. My husband has always wanted to have a mountain home with the wood panels on the walls and his antlers, etc, but I’ve been less than enthusiastic. Now I can show him your home and say, “how about if we do it like this?”. Thanks for the beautiful photos!

Cindy November 19, 2012 at 9:50 am

Such a fantastic house! It’s exactly my style! Thanks for showing the photos.

Luciane at HomeBunch.com November 19, 2012 at 9:53 am

Oh, the views! Can you get any better than that?

Wishing a blessed week, Julia!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Jennifer November 19, 2012 at 10:08 am

Classically beautiful! A great example of the masculiine and feminine blending together.

martha November 19, 2012 at 10:12 am

Beautiful!!! Everything is just right, grand, but cozy and inviting. Who is Lisa? I think she needs to be my new BFF.

Gerry November 19, 2012 at 10:25 am

This is just beautiful! I love everything about it! Thanks so much for sharing.

Candice November 19, 2012 at 10:46 am

Lovely home! So warm and homey for such a grand house. Love the beautiful blending of feminine and rustic. Thanks for sharing.

snaggy November 19, 2012 at 10:49 am

That view is ti die for ! Like the house too !

andrea November 19, 2012 at 10:50 am

so gorgeous! Definitely warm, cozy but also so pretty. It certainly appeals to my more girly/pretty side =)

Kelly - Talk of the House November 19, 2012 at 10:53 am

I think this is my favorite of all the homes you have featured. And to make it even better, it is in North Carolina – my dream state. It must be near Cashiers to be near Whiteside Mountain, and the interiors look like what you see in that area. All my favorites!

Lori November 19, 2012 at 11:00 pm

I agree! I lived in Cashier/Highlands for 11 years and it was my fave place to live. Stunning…

Lisa Smith November 20, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Thank you Kelly for your really lovely comments!

Andrea November 19, 2012 at 11:04 am

Wow….I’m a beach girl myself and typically moutain retreats leave me wishing for lighter and brighter…but this one is amazing…..so beautiful. Do you think Lisa needs some help for Thanksgiving…..I could move in and never leave!!!!!! Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful retreat!

Danielle November 19, 2012 at 11:11 am

This looks so cozy!

Kathy :) November 19, 2012 at 11:17 am

OMG I LOVE every nook of that home !!! What a beauty, she has done a wonderful job, it’s so cozy, what great taste she has….thanks for showing us your home Lisa !!!

All the best Julia,

Kathy :)

Ranell Morris November 19, 2012 at 11:26 am

Lisa’s home is amazing, but the views are definitely the icing on the cake!!!(no wonder she likes window seats) I would live on the front porch, it takes my breath away. So peaceful!! I noticed her paintings as well. Does she sell them? Ranell

Patrice November 19, 2012 at 11:35 am

Out of all the houses you have featured, this one stopped my heart and it is the one I would love to live in out of all I have seen. It is wonderful. I would not change a single thing.

Christina from Dallas November 19, 2012 at 11:53 am

Beautiful house! Lisa is so lucky to have this lovely cozy retreat. Love to cozy up to that fireplace on a cold night. I just love the floral rugs she has. Wonder where she got them?

Lisa Smith November 20, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Thank you Christina! I love floral rugs. Sadly they seem to be a bit “out” right now. I am trying to find new ones to replace some very worn out ones and am not having much luck. HOPEFULLY they will start making them again. I know Clarie Murrey still makes hand hooked rugs in New England and they are available online. Take care.

Christina from Dallas November 20, 2012 at 7:34 pm

II’ll check out Clarie Murrey.I can’t believe floral is out. Although it seems everywhere I go I see that chevron design on everything. I don’t mind it but I still like a nice floral design too.

Lisa Smith November 20, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Me, too!

House Crazy Sarah November 19, 2012 at 1:11 pm

The home looks so comfortable and cozy – and those views are killer! Great house – thanks for sharing with us!

Tracie November 19, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Oh my! How beautiful! The shadow picture is amazing, and so special that it only happens a couple times during the year! Her furniture is LOVELY! What a beautiful home! I’d never leave!

Shelia November 19, 2012 at 1:50 pm

What a lovely home! Thanks for sharing with us and I want to wish you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Lola G. November 19, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I’d visit Lisa anytime, at either of her lovely homes!

Kiki Nakita November 19, 2012 at 3:26 pm

So cozy, and inviting.

Victoria Keddie November 19, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Lovely! Reminds me of my granny’s gatehouse lodge in Scotland. Xx

Katie Clooney November 19, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Whoooaaa! Lisa is a very lucky girl to have such beautiful homes. I love every thing about both houses. Lisa has beautiful taste. Just sent your link to my Sista so she can enjoy as well.

Adallasdiva November 19, 2012 at 4:38 pm

For the record: I can’t believe that a real family lives in that house. IT IS STUNNING. Really beautiful.

Jenn November 19, 2012 at 4:59 pm

This is my dream home! I actually live in the mountains of Western North Carolina, in Asheville, and we are blessed with the most beautiful 360 degree views all around this area. My husband often takes the Blue Ridge Parkway on his morning commute, and that is a nice way to start the day! We never get tired of the amazing long range views and drool over the houses we see perched along the mountain sides (we are on a small, 112-year old farm north of town at the base of one of the mountains). Lisa’s house is what we dream of, and the inside is just as spectacular as our dreams!

Lisa Smith November 20, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Jenn,
Thank you for your kind comment! I have to tell you….MY dream is a farm in Western North Carolina! You are living MY dream!

Weezie November 19, 2012 at 5:29 pm

GET OUT! I love this home and would move in with all her stuff just as it is. Beautiful.

Leah November 19, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Wow, I am just starting to read a new mystery novel this evening. It’s the perfect fall day for one and all I need is the perfect cozy house to go with it. . . I think this one would do nicely! Something to daydream about, as you said. :) I love my own home but it strikes me as a bit too colorful and contemporary for today’s weather, lol.

International decor November 19, 2012 at 6:22 pm

wow,, its amazing

e. george November 19, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Hi Julia WOW this is just beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Regards Esther from Sydney.

Mary Ellen November 19, 2012 at 8:26 pm

This is a very warm and beautiful traditional home. There isn’t one thing I will change when I move in there. The scenery is soooo gorgeous.

judy fink November 19, 2012 at 10:10 pm

never can understand the dead animal thing….otherwise charming.

Kim November 19, 2012 at 11:13 pm

What a warm and cozy home. My favorite spot is the porch. I would spend a lot of time out there enjoying the views of every season.

Jano November 20, 2012 at 12:59 am

I cannot believe that the owner lets anyone know where this home is located lest she risk a flood of visitors, and one of them may look a lot like me.

mishelle November 20, 2012 at 1:41 am

cozy warm home:)

Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) November 20, 2012 at 1:56 am

Such a beautiful home! The views are stunning but not sure I could pull myself away from those beautiful rooms to go outside. Love the bear shadow…how cool is that! Loved the tour!

Lisa Smith November 20, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Thank you Susan for your nice comments. I love the name of your site! I need to check that out. The bear is one of my favorite things! It really IS cool! My children think I am a nut. Every time I went I would have to send them another photo!

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com November 20, 2012 at 8:51 am

I love it!

BTW, I was just thinking of a great tv house you should see. Check out the show: Malibu Country.

hookedonhouses November 20, 2012 at 8:55 am

I happened to catch an episode of that show and it does have great sets!

Shabby Chick November 20, 2012 at 10:20 am

Gorgeous! We had a log home in Michigan before we moved to Mississippi, this house reminds me of it. Her decorating style is impeccable, I would feel right at home there. ;)

Lisa Smith November 20, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Thank you “Shabby Chick”! A log home in Michigan sounds divine to me! That must have been very special. I lived in Wisconsin for about six years as a child and loved it up in that neck of the woods!

Neesha November 20, 2012 at 11:45 am

I love all the wood and the floral prints. It’s just enough, perfectly balanced so nothing overpowers the other. This is such a great home!

Lisa Smith November 20, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Thank you Neesha for your kind comment!

Nancy S November 20, 2012 at 1:17 pm

What a lovely welcoming home! I am in love with the sheep picture above her bed. Would love to know where she found it. Maybe she’ll see and respond?

Lisa Smith November 20, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Hi Nancy,
Thank you for your sweet comment. I found that at a shop in Alpharetta, Georgia and thought it was so peaceful and unusual…..THEN, I saw it again in a shop in Cashiers, North Carolina! I still love it, but I guess it is NOT unusual! Sadly I am afraid BOTH those shops are now closed. If I happen to see it again I will let you know! (I love sheep and pastoral scenes!)

Nancy S November 20, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Thank you, Lisa, for responding about the sheep picture. I will be on the lookout for one like it, for sure! I must say you have impeccable taste and the comments here prove others would concur.

kathy November 20, 2012 at 10:59 pm

oh my how gorgeous, I could live there and I want to copy her style!

Lisa Smith November 20, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Julia,
Thank you for such a lovely post! You know how much I love your blog, so this is very special to me. Thank you, also, to all these readers who wrote such kind comments!

JAN November 21, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Just beautiful! I love all the special touches, the lamp shades, trim on the pillows, drapes. I’d never want to leave! And the scenery! Thank you for sharing this beautiful home.

Dee November 23, 2012 at 7:30 am

Love, love, love this house, especially the AGA! We have purchased one to begin our kitchen remodel around – can’t wait! Lisa, how do you like yours, if you see this comment? Thanks!

Lisa Smith December 7, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Hi Dee,
I’m sorry for the VERY delayed response to your question! I don’t know if you will ever see this, but I LOVE my Aga!!!! I promise, you won’t be disappointed. It really will become “the heart of your home”. Good luck with your remodel!

Ernest Castillo November 24, 2012 at 4:37 pm

What a beautiful home!! everything is so awe inspiring!!

Alison July 17, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Wow!!! What a view!!! I adore Autumn landscapes. Could you tell me a little about your neighbourhood please? I’m always wanting to learn about new areas to add to my wish list. Also your rugs are gorgeous!!! :) Thankyou for sharing.

Ernest July 21, 2013 at 9:19 am

Absolutly Stunning what I wouldn’t give to own this beautiful piece of property!!

{ 1 trackback }