Before & After: Renita’s New Kitchen Goes Back in Time

by hookedonhouses on November 14, 2012

Renita is a self-professed “antiquing fantatic,” and it shows in her kitchen. She says she loves it because it’s warm, inviting and makes her feel like she traveled back to a simpler time. It has so much character and aged patina that it’s hard to believe it’s the result of a recent renovation–or that it used to look like this…

They gutted the old kitchen…

…and transformed it into this:

Renita says that although she wanted the room to make you feel like you stepped back in time, “It still has all the modern conveniences–a commercial-style range, microwave (hidden behind the “General Store” pantry doors on the left), and a dishwasher hidden behind a green panel next to the sink.

She distressed the upper cabinets herself–which are actually old windows scored at a salvage place for $50.00.

“I’m an antiquing fanatic. We used an old general store counter for our island, topped with soapstone (which I also used on the countertops).”

“I found the General Store doors, which I use as pantry doors, in Nashville at an antiques show. I love the sound they make when they close since it sounds like an old general store door banging closed.”

They broke through the old dining room to create one large, long space. Reclaimed beams were used for the ceiling and to frame the opening between the rooms.

“One of my favorite parts is the floor, which originally was two different types of hardwood. Once we broke through the two rooms, I needed to ‘marry’ the floors to make them work, so we painted them a bold pattern to tie the spaces together.”

She adds that “Being the mother of a 17-year old boy, I love the kitchen because his friends (girls) that come over to the house absolutely love it, and he then appreciates me for the next few minutes!” Ha.

Many thanks to Renita, who entered my Hooked on Your Kitchens Contest. Today is the deadline, so this is your last chance to turn yours in! I’ll feature as many as possible in weeks to come. Yours might be one of them, so stay tuned. (You can see the others I’ve posted about here.)

P.S. As always, keep the comments about readers’ houses polite and positive, please. Thanks!

The Readers’ Kitchens Featured So Far:

cpalmer November 14, 2012 at 7:28 am

I absolutly LOVE this kitchen!!!! If I could redo my kitchen this is what it would look like!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Thanks so much for comments. Have a nice Thanksgiving!

B. Cade December 6, 2012 at 11:13 am

Renita,

Your kitchen is so utterly fabulous and has the jaw-dropping wow effect that I always look for! Wow, wow, wow! Girl you have the market cornered on originality.

chrissie January 24, 2013 at 3:00 am

I now understand what is meant by the heart of the home. You are a very clever girl.
Hugs from W Devon England.

Melissa Daly November 14, 2012 at 7:34 am

What a creative person! I would have been one of those girls at 17 hanging around loving that kitchen. I can only imagine how wonderful it will look at Christmas. Follow up Julia so we can see! :)

Renita November 19, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Thanks, Melissa. I hope to be able to take some pictures around the holidays. Have a nice Thanksgiving and thanks again for your comments.

Angela November 14, 2012 at 7:39 am

Though this wouldn’t be my usual style, there’s something about this kitchen that makes me want to pull up a chair & have a cup of tea…or coffee…or cocoa…I’m not picky! It’s just so warm, cozy & welcoming! Great job! :)

Renita November 19, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Thanks Angela. I just need to take the time to do that! Enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday.

rosie November 14, 2012 at 8:01 am

LOVE the floor-love the color combo on the cabinets. My cabinets are actually the same green/white type of combo, with a totally different look which is so cool to see. I also love all the details. She did a great job of creating an antique look without making it look like a store or like it was staged. It has the look of being collected over time, with things that she loves-perfection, in my humble opinion.

Renita November 19, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Hi Rosie,

Thank you so much for all your kind words. I do love green. Every time I think of changing the color, I just can’t do it! I always feel like when you decorate with green, it is like bringing the outside in. Since I don’t have a lot of natural light in my kitchen, it just works!

Again, I very much appreciate your comments. Have a nice Thanksgiving!

Nori R November 14, 2012 at 8:05 am

This space is amazing! So warm and inviting. Love all the different textures and colors.

Renita November 19, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Hi Nori,

Thanks. I do love color! Have a nice holiday season.

Gail November 14, 2012 at 8:33 am

Absolutely fabulous!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Thanks so much Gail!

Carol M November 14, 2012 at 8:37 am

Totally warm and inviting. I collect antiques, so I just love this kitchen. My husband found an antique screen door for me that we are turning into a pantry door at our lake home. Wish I could have found a double screen door too, but I’m still thrilled to have one! Great kitchen.

Renita November 15, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Hi Carol,

Thanks for your nice feedback. Enjoy your screen door!

Lisa November 14, 2012 at 8:43 am

This kitchen is charming! Is Renita a blogger? Do you know if she has shared any other photos of her home?
Thank you for such a beautiful blog. I appreciate you!

hookedonhouses November 14, 2012 at 8:45 am

She SHOULD have a blog. Maybe we can encourage her to start one! :-)

Renita November 19, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your nice words. I am not a blogger but will probably start one in January. I was thinking about blogging about my antiquing and redecorating adventures. If so, I hope you will follow it :)

Enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday.

Jane November 14, 2012 at 8:45 am

Best renovation ever! Renita — YOU NAILED EVERY DETAIL!! I am in love with your kitchen. I have an 1816 house and although I’ve replaced my countertops with soapstone I really had no idea what to do with the cabinets. This is it! Love it all!!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your great feedback. Boy, would I love an 1816 house! I am sure it is loaded with charm.

Good luck with your cabinets.

Have a great holiday season.

House Crazy Sarah November 14, 2012 at 8:45 am

wow – this kitchen just blew me away! All the old signs, antiques and repurposed items are amazing! And that floor is simply stunning! What an inspiring and cozy space – kudos to Renita. Does she have a blog? Now I want to see more of her house!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Hi Sarah,

Thank you so much for your kind words. No, I do not have a blog but I am thinking of starting one in January about my antiquing and decorating adventures.

Have a nice Thanksgiving and thanks again for your compliments!

Rick S November 14, 2012 at 8:59 am

Julia,
This kitchen looks like is evolved over years and was always part of the house. It quietly says old, loved and welcoming.
rick

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Thanks, Rick. That was what I was aiming for and it is so nice to hear feedback such as yours.

Rebecca@MidcenturyModernRemodel November 14, 2012 at 9:01 am

So cool. When you said antiques, I did a mental eye roll, expecting counters littered with vintage crap. Instead, you give us this masterpiece of reclaimed woods, windows, and ingenuity. How creative!!!! I like the windows for cabinet doors a lot. Extremely clever. Also, the decorating is bold and Renita is brave. She really trusts her instincts and goes for it. The results turned out fantastic.

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Hi Rebecca,

Thank you for your comments. I am glad you enjoyed all the pictures!

Have a nice Thanksgiving.

LoriD November 14, 2012 at 9:37 am

I wanted to see more! All the old signs are just perfect for the space.

hookedonhouses November 14, 2012 at 10:18 am

Stay tuned–I’m going to show you her renovated dining room next week. I love it, too!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Thanks so much Lori. I seem to like signs more than anything else. I picked one up this weekend at an antiques show that says, “ROOMS”. I always wanted one that said that. It has old glass that outlines the letters and I was thinking of electrifying the back. That is probably my next project!

Have a nice Thanksgiving.

Shabby Chick November 14, 2012 at 9:49 am

As an antiques lover myself, I can totally relate to Renita’s decorating style. She did a fabulous job, I love it to pieces! ;)

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Hi Shabby Chick,

I love your name! I just went to a show this weekend and picked up a sign that says “ROOMS” as well as 6 small old buckets, three in red, three in white and three in blue. I have a red, white and blue guest room (with an Uncle Same and all) and I put the buckets on an old blue shelf. Looks pretty cute!

Enjoy your holiday season and thanks again for your comment.

me November 14, 2012 at 10:06 am

While I like her kitchen, I wouldn’t call it “stepped back in time” because if you actually did step back in time, there wouldn’t be any cabinets and it definitely wouldn’t look like this.

Kitchens used to have only freestanding furniture, and a heck of a lot less of it — even a fancy kitchen only had a table, maybe one Hoosier-type cabinet or similar, and an icebox. Kitchen cabinets only started being a standard part of houses in the early 1930′s at the earliest, I think.

hookedonhouses November 14, 2012 at 10:11 am

I don’t think she meant that it was quite that far back in time, when kitchens didn’t have cabinets! Ha. She was talking more about a feeling than an exact replica of an earlier time.

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Yes, I would love to have freestanding furniture. I love Hoosiers as they have a lot of function and charm.

Thanks for your comment.

Melanie November 14, 2012 at 10:24 am

Gorgeous kitchen! Especially love the hardwood floor.

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Thanks, Melanie. I appreciate your kind words.

Mary Jo November 14, 2012 at 10:25 am

Beautiful! This the the best kitchen in your contest so far! Antique style done right!
I love everything, but the screen doors- winners!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Hi Mary Jo,

Thanks for your comment. The screen doors were a pain in the neck to get back from Nashville, but I am glad we went through the trouble.

Have a nice Thanksgiving!

Amanda November 14, 2012 at 10:34 am

Now THAT is a cool kitchen!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Thanks, Amanda. Have a nice holiday season.

Mrs. Pear Tree November 14, 2012 at 11:08 am

Wow. Just… wow. That’s very possibly one of the coolest kitchens I’ve toured! I need to start thrifting more!!!!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Thanks. Thrifting is the way to go :) Enjoy!

ImJacobsmom November 14, 2012 at 11:23 am

What can I say that hasn’t already been said ~ I absolutely LOVE THIS!!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:18 pm

From one Jacob’s mom to another – thanks!

Kelly - Talk of the House November 14, 2012 at 11:47 am

Absolutely beautiful. Love that green! Can I please steal those General Store doors for my pantry???

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Hi Kelly,

Sorry I won’t let you steal them :)
Thanks for the “green” compliment. Love green (and red)!

Have a great holiday season.

MelanieL November 14, 2012 at 11:48 am

I love everything about this kitchen! She did a great job and I like the story about her son’s (girl) friends!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Hi Melanie,

Thanks for the comments. With my teenager, I will take appreciation any way I can get it!

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Anne B-P November 14, 2012 at 11:51 am

Beautiful kitchen! Bravo to Renita for combining modern beauty with antique beauty! That is hard to accomplish and she pulled it off very well!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Thank you Anne. I am challenged enough in the kitchen! I need all the help I can get with modern applicances :)

I appreciate your kind words.

Catherine November 14, 2012 at 11:54 am

I love the white kitchen…but it’s *too* white for me; no wall space for color or artwork. Over-all, I have to say that this is my favorite so far!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Thanks, Catherine. We just painted the white one weekend a few weeks ago. I seem to be in a lighter phase right now.

Have a nice Thanksgiving.

Betty Todd November 14, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I love it! My house was built in 1862, though the kitchen addition is more modern 1903. I wish it looked like yours.

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:30 pm

HI Betty,

And I wish I had an 1862 house! Maybe we can swap? :)

Thanks for your nice words.

Have a great Thankgiving.

Laura November 14, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Very nice! I really love the floors, the screen doors, and the green. The stainless appliances work well with the colors, too.

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Hi Laura,

Thank you for all the compliments.

Have a nice holiday season.

Kathy :) November 14, 2012 at 1:30 pm

WOW so creative Julia…………….love how she married the floors….

Happy Thanksgiving to you…..
Kathy :)

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Thank you Kathy.

WIshing you a happy holiday season!

65andcounting November 14, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Just getting cable and internet back yesterday after two weeks without, post- Sandy, I’ve been playing catch-up all day, like a slug, sitting at my computer, reading all the blogs I’ve missed for 15 days, 7 hours, 8 minutes and 33 seconds. :-)

LOVE this renovation, especially, as others have said, the floor. And The breakfast table is a perfect complement to the space. Congratulations.

I had full intentions of sending pix of my own kitchen but a little thing called a hurricane knocked us on our keesters. No power for 11 days. Trees down all over the place, 100 and 200 year old trees. But what kept us going is the sense of community, living in a small town. Gotta say, I’m Hooked on Neighbors.

Great other kitchen photo submissions.

hookedonhouses November 14, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I’m glad you’re all right! I was thinking about you and my other readers who were in the path of the storm and hoping for the best. Just kills you to see all those trees and houses wiped out by it.

Times like that definitely make you appreciate your neighbors!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Thanks for your nice words.

We, too were affected by the hurricane. It is amazing and scary that Mother Nature can be so brutal at times.

Wishing you a nice Thanksgiving.

Christina from Dallas November 14, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Cute cute cute! I could have a rootbeer float in that kitchen. What a great design concept!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Thanks for your comment, Christina. Love Texas. We lived there for many years!

Sarah @SarahsBigIdea.com November 14, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Oh my god, I LOVE this kitchen! So gorgeous, and so much character! Absolutely fabulous. Thanks for sharing it!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for all your kind words.

Have a nice holiday season!

Mel November 14, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Wow, this kitchen is truly transformed from a dowdy little room into a truly liveable kitchen. It looks great and so inviting!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Hi Mel,

Thank you for your feedback.

Have a wonderful holiday season!

dolly November 14, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Beautiful… love all of it..Classy country… so well put together.. keep finding more & more items to catch the eye

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Hi Dolly,

I appreciate your comments.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Vicki November 14, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I love this kitchen so much! It’s the winner as far as I’m concerned. My kitchen looks way too much like the ‘before’ photo, so this has really inspired me to do something with it. Thanks!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Hi Vicki,

Thank you for your comments. I am so glad that my photos have inspired you! Good luck with your kitchen.

Happy Holidays!

Mary C November 14, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Stunning absolutely gorgeous !!!! Can you come and remodel mine next !!!!

Mary C

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Hi Mary,

Thanks for your kind words. Maybe that can be arranged! :)

Happy Holidays!

Blake November 14, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Beautiful floor, lots of creativity and so cozy and warm!!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Thank you Blake.

Have a great Thanksiving!

Tracie November 14, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Winner winner! Ding ding ding! This has got to be my favorite kitchen of all time! It is definitely one of a kind. I’d LOVE to cook and just stand around in it! I don’t blame her son’s friends for wanting to come over and hang out in there. The general store doors are such an awesome idea….I can almost hear them slamming right now…..I’d love to see the rest of Renita’s home.

This has been such a fun contest. I love seeing real homes!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Hi Tracie,

I really appreciate all your nice feedback!

Have a nice holiday season!

Luciane at HomeBunch.com November 14, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Hello Julia!

How are you doing, my dear friend?! I try to come here almost every day, but sometimes I’m in such a rush and I don’t leave comments. Your website is one of my favorites.. you know that. :-)

Just wanted to say “hello” and to thank you for all the effort you put here. You’re amazing!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

hookedonhouses November 14, 2012 at 7:16 pm

You’re such a sweetheart, Luciane. Thanks! :-)

Amy November 14, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Dreamy!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Thanks, Amy.

Have a nice Thanksgiving!

Jane George November 14, 2012 at 7:25 pm

WOW! I am in love with Renita’s kitchen makeover. It’s wonderful to see how cleverly she combined the old and the new. The result is not only homey and beautiful, but distinctive. The old-window cupboards are genius.

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Thank you Jane. I am glad you liked it.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Julianne November 14, 2012 at 7:36 pm

HOW did she make the window-cupboard doors?? I love love love that.

This is a great, warm kitchen…I love the beams. We are going to open our kitchen/dining room area to make one large room and I know I’m going to use some of the elements she has done so well!

Renita November 14, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Hi Julianne,

Thanks for the kind words. We purchased the windows (the center ones are larger than the ones on either side) and we cut them down to fit the backs of the cupboards.

Hope this answers your question.

Amy November 14, 2012 at 8:21 pm

What a unique and special kitchen! I’d love to see the rest of the house!
Wonderful job, Renita!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Hi Amy,

Thank you for your nice comment.

Have a great holiday season!

Joe B November 14, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I can only imagine what the rest of the house looks like? What style house is this in and what part of the country? Great eye, if Renita isn’t a decorator, she should be!

Renita November 14, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your compliment.

The rest of the house is very much like my kitchen. Lots of old signs, painted furniture, folk art and hooked rugs. My house is a 1939 cape cod. I live in a suburb of New York (approximately 30 minutes north of New York City in Westchester County).

Marion G. November 14, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Transforming two separate rooms into a single kitchen is a great idea.
The windows are a great idea from a green perspective. The modern appliances look appropriate and not out of place. Even the chandelier looks great, would of never thought of a chandelier in a kitchen but it looks great.
Kudos to Renita for her bold ideas and tying everything together!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Hi Marion,

Thank you. I love using chandeliers in unexpected places. I have one in my bathroom as well.

Once again, thanks for the compliments.

Have a nice Thanksgiving.

Buelah M November 14, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Renita’s house is gorgeous! Wonder how big it is? Is she a professional decorator because it seems as though she is not according to the blog. What is her day job?
Is her house an old house and what style?
Great ideas, must have been a boatload of fun to find all those signs and pieces!

Renita November 14, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Hi Buelah,

Thanks for the nice words.

My house is a 4 bedroom cape cod built in 1939. No, I am not a professional decorator but ocassionally I do design work on the side.

Yes, I love the thrill of the hunt finding antiques.

Linda R November 14, 2012 at 8:40 pm

All this kitchen needs is some stuffing and a Thanksgiving turkey!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Hi Linda,

I think we may be able to arrange that this week! :)

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Julianne M November 14, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Beautiful house and such an inviting kitchen! The color palette works together so well!

Julianne November 14, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Also – if Renita does a follow-up on any of our questions, would she tell us what brand the range is? Also, I’m guessing there’s a fan/vent thing (don’t know the word!) that’s hidden behind the big slab of wood over the top of her range…is that right? Was it just installed like normal and then you added the hood and the wood?

Seriously wonderful job!

Renita November 14, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Thanks, Julianne.

The range is a GE Monogram. Yes, your are correct! The vent is behind the “chimney” above the range. The hood was custom built and we added the reclaimed wood for character. The fan motor is vented on our roof.

Julianne November 14, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Thank you for the answers, Renita!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Anytime!

Have a great Thanksgiving, Julianne.

Abby S November 14, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Nice to be able to work with modern appliances yet feel like you are in an old kitchen! I feel as though there must be a story behind that wood above the stove?

Renita November 14, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Yes, Abby. You are correct! We found the reclaimed wood beam approximately two hours away from our home. My husband drove up to pick it up with our then 4 year old in tow. Needless to say, neither one of them was pleased! He had to drive back with the beam sticking out of the back of our jeep. It was much longer and had to be cut down to size.

Rose Nadasi November 14, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Renita is a dear friend of mine and I am lucky enough to actually get to drink coffee and dine in her beautiful kitchen!! She is unbelievably talented- I’ve watched her antique cabinets, paint walls, rearrange furniture…it is truly a labor of love and it shows! If you love her kitchen you will be in for a treat when you see photos of the rest of her house!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Thanks Rose.

You are an amazing friend and I am so lucky to get to share the conversations we have (about anything and everything) in my kitchen and yours!

Alex Milano November 14, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Wow! This kitchen is amazing! I could just imagine preparing a wonderful Italian meal in there. What lovely knicknacks! Great signs!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Thanks, Alex.

I appreciate your feedback.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Kim November 15, 2012 at 2:59 am

I love how warm and cozy this kitchen feels. I bet lots of wonderful meals are cooked in there.

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Hi Kim,

Thanks for the kind words. I am still trying to perfect my cooking skils! :)

Have a nice holiday season.

Darren November 15, 2012 at 6:17 am

This kitchen is a true inspiration to someone who normally just goes to the kitchen for a quick snack. This aesthetic taste is quite pleasing to the eye and shows you the dedication and determination Renita had to transform her vision and ideas into a reality!!!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Thank you Darren.

I appreciate your comments.

Have a nice Thanksgiving!

Jennah November 15, 2012 at 8:32 am

One word – COVET!

Wow! What a gorgeous reno. This is the type of kitchen than is warm and welcoming. Thank you, Renita, for sharing your beautiful kitchen and thank you, Julia, for featuring this one!

The creativity of repurposing so many pieces is truly inspiring.

Renita November 19, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Hi Jennah,

Thank you so much for your nice feedback.

Have a great holiday season!

Paula November 15, 2012 at 9:40 am

Now this is my kind of kitchen!! Absolutely LOVE it!!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Hi Paula,

Thank you for your nice comment.

Have a great holiday season!

Sherry November 15, 2012 at 10:01 am

Wow, I am in love love LOVE with this kitchen! I would never want to leave it. What a fantastic job she did on it!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Hi Sherry,

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Carolyn November 15, 2012 at 10:36 am

Great job. Definitely the kitchen with the most personality and creativity so far. As I love old things, too, this one appealed to me. I’d like to know more about how the lower cabinets were distressed and painted (love that color green) – I bet there were lots of steps involved. Great use of upcycled pieces. The only thing I’d change is the kitchen chandelier – seems a bit glam for the old general store, worn and primitive country look going on. My favorite thing is the old window cabinet doors with curtains behind them. Love the finish on them, too. And then there’s the beams, the general store counter and doors, the hood, the soapstone, the paneled wood backsplash/wainscoting . . . I could name everything.

Renita November 15, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for all the compliments. Yes. There were many steps involved with the lower cabinets. Staining, painting, sanding and then poly-ing.

I’m sorry that the pictures that include the chandelier do not show the worn black paint and the rust. I actually picked it up at a consignent store and liked it because it had elements of stainless steel and had a worn patina. I actually added the crystals for some glam. I like to mix thing up as you can probably tell! :)

Again, thanks so much for all your kind words.

Kimber November 15, 2012 at 10:48 am

Oh wow! This is an amazing kitchen! If I had this kitchen, I just might learn to love cooking! I wish Renita would redecorate my home. Absolutely beautiful.

Renita November 19, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Hi Kimber,

Thanks for your nice comments!

Perhaps that could be arranged! :)

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Jill November 15, 2012 at 1:04 pm

WOW! What a transformation. I love everything about this kitchen. It brings you right back in time while still being able to enjoy modern day luxuries. I don’t like to cook or entertain but if this were my kitchen I definitely would. It takes a special talent to blend the old with the new and Renita was definitely born with that gift. I wish she had her own reality show to help the rest of us:).

Renita November 19, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Hi Jill,

Thank you so much for your very kind words! Maybe I will start with a blog and then try to work my way up to a reality show! :)

Have a great holiday season!

Rebecca C. November 15, 2012 at 1:24 pm

This kitchen is giving me so many ideas! I love that floor. Great use of paint. I love the hood over the range. Amazing what you can do with old wood. Everything works together in this kitchen. Even the signs are great. Thanks for sharing.

Renita November 19, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Hi Rebecca,

Thank you for all your compliments!

Have a nice Thanksgiving!

Weezie November 15, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I agree…this is what I’d do to mine, too. Love every detail. Am so impressed and envious and inspired.

Renita November 19, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Hi Weezie,

Thank you for your kind words.

Have a nice holiday season!

sandyb November 16, 2012 at 7:18 am

This kitchen ticks all the boxes for me. Luvvvvvv it. Million dollar houses all decked out by overpriced designers couldn’t hold a candle to this truly remarkable kitchen. Holding my breath to see the rest of her home.

renita November 16, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Thanks so much sandyb. It’s funny you said that…I remember watching the movie, “Sleeping with the Enemy” and liking the charming house that Julia Roberts rented in the college town way more than her beautiful beach house that she shared with her husband!

Holly November 16, 2012 at 8:21 am

That is one of my favorite kitchen renos. Love it!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Thank you, Holly.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Dina November 16, 2012 at 9:13 am

I really like it, especially the floor. The one thing that doesn’t work for me is all the signage. It made me think of little specialty shops they make for tourists.

Renita November 19, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Hi Dina,

Thank you. I am glad you like the floor. It took a while to figure out what to do with it!

Have a great Thanksgiving!

kristen November 16, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Renita,
I love, love your kitchen, I would really like to see pictures of the rest of the house!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Hi Kristen,

Thanks so much. I believe that Julia will be posting pictures of my dining room this week.

Have a nice Thanksgiving!

Laurie November 17, 2012 at 10:17 am

I am absolutely in love with your kitchen! My favorite part, if I could only pick one is the “General Store” doors! Awesome job!

Renita November 19, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Thank you Laurie, I appreciate your nice comments.

Have a great holiday season!

Kathy November 18, 2012 at 7:43 am

Like everyone else, I love this kitchen. And the floor! Wow! Just curious, how tall are your ceilings?

Renita November 18, 2012 at 10:23 am

Thanks, Kathy.

The ceilings are 8′ tall.

Kathy November 18, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Thanks, I thought so. That’s what I have to. I’ve been debating having my lower cabinets painted darker, your kitchen is giving me the courage to go for it!

Renita November 18, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I’m so glad. It’s only paint – worse comes to worse you can paint over it.

Good luck Kathy!

Signe November 18, 2012 at 11:01 am

This kitchen wins in my humble opinion… not only because it’s functional and beautiful, but it shows the personality of its’ owner!! Such great fun…

Renita November 19, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Hi Signe,

Thank you for your kind words!

Have a nice holiday season!

Nathan November 19, 2012 at 3:56 pm

This kitchen is by far the winner! Just so cozy, I can just see a family having Thanksgiving dinner in that dining room, with everyone coming into the kitchen to chat and wait for dinner. I currently live in a 1960′s ranch house and long for the day that we get an older home and I can redo the kitchen to look like that! I would love to see the rest of the house….

Nathan

Renita November 19, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Hi Nathan,

Thank you so much for your nice feedback!

That is exactly what we do – everyone seems to congregate in the kitchen no matter what!

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Andrea November 21, 2012 at 4:45 pm

I am a little late to the party but oh so glad I finallly made it!!!! This kitchen blows me away with all the charm! Love it. I would love to know, Renita, what color of green is on the cabinets and what fabric you used for the uppers???? Thank you so much for sharing and hurry up and start a blog!
Andrea

Jane November 21, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Hi Andrea, I’m Jane from wayyyy up above. I keep coming back to this blog post hoping for any hints on the paint colour etc. — so glad that you asked and I’m going to keep checking back to see if Renita shares ;) Thanks again Renita, I loved that you replied to all the comments (including mine) and I can’t wait to read your blog!

Renita November 21, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Hi Jane,

I promise I will check on the paint color when I return from my trip. Also, thanks again for your interest. I am excited to start my blog and as mentioned to Andrea I took a number of pictures today that I will post on my upcoming blog! I can’t wait to start!

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Renita November 21, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Hi Andrea,

Being late to a party is fashionable so they say! Welcome :) Thanks for your very kind words! I am traveling and do not know the color green off the top of my head. I will check when I get back home. The fabric used for the uppers was a blue/taupe toile from Country Curtains. I bought the fabric and had them made into curtains.

I took a lot of pictures today at a fun market and hope to start my blog with them in the next few weeks

Thanks for your interest and enjoy your Thanksgiving!

Lisa Smith November 21, 2012 at 6:55 pm

I am late to the party as well! I LOVE this kitchen!!!!! Well done Renita!!!! You have a real gift. It is absolutely charming! That floor is fabulous! Each wonderful detail just adds that much more to the entire effect. It has so much character and is incredibly inviting! I will be thinking of you serving that turkey tomorrow in this amazing space.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Renita November 21, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Hi Lisa,

Thanks so much for your very kind words! As I mentioned to Andrea, being fashionably late is a good thing! :)

Have a great Thanksgiving!

SRH119 November 25, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I LOVE this kitchen! It is so my taste! I must come over for coffee to see it and the rest of the house live. Renita, you are incredibly talented!

Renita November 26, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Thank you so much! I appreciate the compliments. Happy Holidays!

Dixie Redmond December 2, 2012 at 9:29 am

I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS KITCHEN.

Karen December 2, 2012 at 1:45 pm

This kitchen is so rich in style – I think the floor makes the entire space! And – I love how things are matchy – well done!! About 25 years ago or so, I wanted to put fabric behind my cupboards like this woman did. Everybody thought it was nuts:) I could SEE it in my mind – it would have looked great . . . but we moved to a cottage on a creek – much smaller and cozier.

Karen December 2, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I meant how things AREN’T matchy! *need new glasses:)

Renita December 2, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Thanks for your kind words, Karen. I need new ones, as well! :) Have a great holiday season!

Dixie Redmond December 2, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Renita, I am very cusrious about the green color, too. If you share the n
Color name/make I would appreciate it so much, I’ve been saving pictures for a long time of kitchens with colored bases and light uppers. I have a 1980′s kitchen I want to transform with paint. Trying to get my courage up to DO it,

I love old signs and graphics. Your kitchen is wonderful.

Renita December 4, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Thanks so much Dixie. We renovated some time ago. I tried looking for a record of the color with no success. I believe that it was a color by the Old Milk Paint Company. I hope that helps. If I find it, I will leave another comment.

Have a great holiday season!

dana December 2, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I, too, especially love the floors. We’ve been in our house for 17 years and have 3 kids. You can imagine the wear on our hardwood floors. I have strongly considered a pattern similar to this in our kitchen. What type paint was used? Did you do it yourself? What was the process? I would love to see pics of how this flows into joining rooms because I was unsure how to stop the pattern in the doorway to our hall/ bathroom and family room.

Renita December 6, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Hi Dana,

Thanks for your comment. I used Manchester Tan (Benjamin Moore) for the lightest color, 1/2 gunstock and 1/2 English Chestnut (minwax I think) for the brown and Black Wrought Iron (Benjamin Moore) for the black squares. I did not do it myself, a painter did it. We did the pattern with blue tape after the floors were sanded. We used oil paint and poly (at least 2 or 3 coats, I believe). I will take pictures of how the floors flows into other rooms shortly. Crazy time right now :)

Have a great holiday season!

Carol White January 17, 2013 at 12:37 pm

I would love to see the rest of Renita’s home. This kitchen is by far my favorite!

Kat Powers January 31, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Hi! I’m really late to this party, but oh my gosh! I absolutely love this kitchen! I love homes that show the personality of the people who live there. This one is beautiful I’ve also been trying to figure out exactly what to do with my honey oak cabinets in my 1935 home. Our kitchen was remodeled by the former owners and, lets just say…. it’s not my style. I want the house to look it’s age, not like it was built in the late 90′s.

I’m very interested in the green color as well. I have been looking at green paint for the lower cabinetry, but everything seems too country. I’d love to know what color you used! Great job!

Shari May 5, 2013 at 11:38 am

This is my first time looking at all of these beautiful kitchens! So much hard work and love put into all of them, but this one is my favorite. :) Love the old-world, vintage feeling throughout the rooms. Wonderful!

Renita May 5, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Thanks so much, Shari.

Renita May 5, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Thanks, Shari.

Janet July 16, 2013 at 12:03 pm

This is one of the most wonderful kitchens I’ve ever seen. I love everything about it. I could live in this kitchen. It is so homey, warm and just charming. It’s fun to just study the pics, I see something new every time.

Karen Occhicone August 2, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Renita! You did an outstanding job in your kitchen! All the “Extras” make it So warm and Inviting! I know your didication to antiquing – and finding “just the right fit” for things. You make it sound so easy, but people should be aware – that although it is a passion for you – it still takes a tremendous amount of time and hard work and for sure – it takes a “good eye.” You are an impressive person on many levels. Congratulations on doing a superb job! :)

Menahil September 3, 2013 at 12:44 pm

This kitchen is a masterpiece! Seems like a lot work has gone into this beautiful kitchen. I adore the pantry doors and am a sucker for anything vintage!

{ 6 trackbacks }