Renita’s New Kitchen Goes Back in Time

Renita is a self-professed “antiquing fantatic,” and it shows in her kitchen. She says she loves it because it’s warm, inviting and makes her feel like she traveled back to a simpler time. It has so much character and aged patina that it’s hard to believe it’s the result of a recent renovation–or that it used to look like this…

They gutted the old kitchen…

…and transformed it into this:

Renita says that although she wanted the room to make you feel like you stepped back in time, “It still has all the modern conveniences–a commercial-style range, microwave (hidden behind the “General Store” pantry doors on the left), and a dishwasher hidden behind a green panel next to the sink.

She distressed the upper cabinets herself–which are actually old windows scored at a salvage place for $50.00.

“I’m an antiquing fanatic. We used an old general store counter for our island, topped with soapstone (which I also used on the countertops).”

“I found the General Store doors, which I use as pantry doors, in Nashville at an antiques show. I love the sound they make when they close since it sounds like an old general store door banging closed.”

They broke through the old dining room to create one large, long space. Reclaimed beams were used for the ceiling and to frame the opening between the rooms.

“One of my favorite parts is the floor, which originally was two different types of hardwood. Once we broke through the two rooms, I needed to ‘marry’ the floors to make them work, so we painted them a bold pattern to tie the spaces together.”

She adds that “Being the mother of a 17-year old boy, I love the kitchen because his friends (girls) that come over to the house absolutely love it, and he then appreciates me for the next few minutes!” Ha.

*UPDATE*

Renita’s kitchen was the winner of my kitchen contest. Congratulations! You can see the rest of her lovely home here. :)

Julia-simple teal signature

Comments

1. cpalmer says

I absolutly LOVE this kitchen!!!! If I could redo my kitchen this is what it would look like!

• B. Cade says

Renita,

Your kitchen is so utterly fabulous and has the jaw-dropping wow effect that I always look for! Wow, wow, wow! Girl you have the market cornered on originality.

• chrissie says

I now understand what is meant by the heart of the home. You are a very clever girl.
      Hugs from W Devon England.

What a creative person! I would have been one of those girls at 17 hanging around loving that kitchen. I can only imagine how wonderful it will look at Christmas. Follow up Julia so we can see! :)

• Renita says

Thanks, Melissa. I hope to be able to take some pictures around the holidays. Have a nice Thanksgiving and thanks again for your comments.

3. Angela says

Though this wouldn’t be my usual style, there’s something about this kitchen that makes me want to pull up a chair & have a cup of tea…or coffee…or cocoa…I’m not picky! It’s just so warm, cozy & welcoming! Great job! :)

• Renita says

Thanks Angela. I just need to take the time to do that! Enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday.

LOVE the floor-love the color combo on the cabinets. My cabinets are actually the same green/white type of combo, with a totally different look which is so cool to see. I also love all the details. She did a great job of creating an antique look without making it look like a store or like it was staged. It has the look of being collected over time, with things that she loves-perfection, in my humble opinion.

Hi Rosie,

Thank you so much for all your kind words. I do love green. Every time I think of changing the color, I just can’t do it! I always feel like when you decorate with green, it is like bringing the outside in. Since I don’t have a lot of natural light in my kitchen, it just works!

Again, I very much appreciate your comments. Have a nice Thanksgiving!

Hi Nori,

Thanks. I do love color! Have a nice holiday season.

5. Carol M says

Totally warm and inviting. I collect antiques, so I just love this kitchen. My husband found an antique screen door for me that we are turning into a pantry door at our lake home. Wish I could have found a double screen door too, but I’m still thrilled to have one! Great kitchen.

6. Lisa says

This kitchen is charming! Is Renita a blogger? Do you know if she has shared any other photos of her home?
    Thank you for such a beautiful blog. I appreciate you!

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your nice words. I am not a blogger but will probably start one in January. I was thinking about blogging about my antiquing and redecorating adventures. If so, I hope you will follow it :)

Enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday.

7. Jane says

Best renovation ever! Renita — YOU NAILED EVERY DETAIL!! I am in love with your kitchen. I have an 1816 house and although I’ve replaced my countertops with soapstone I really had no idea what to do with the cabinets. This is it! Love it all!!

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your great feedback. Boy, would I love an 1816 house! I am sure it is loaded with charm.

Good luck with your cabinets.

Have a great holiday season.
      Renita

wow – this kitchen just blew me away! All the old signs, antiques and repurposed items are amazing! And that floor is simply stunning! What an inspiring and cozy space – kudos to Renita. Does she have a blog? Now I want to see more of her house!

Hi Sarah,

Thank you so much for your kind words. No, I do not have a blog but I am thinking of starting one in January about my antiquing and decorating adventures.

Have a nice Thanksgiving and thanks again for your compliments!

9. Rick S says

Julia,
    This kitchen looks like is evolved over years and was always part of the house. It quietly says old, loved and welcoming.
    rick

• Renita says

Thanks, Rick. That was what I was aiming for and it is so nice to hear feedback such as yours.

So cool. When you said antiques, I did a mental eye roll, expecting counters littered with vintage crap. Instead, you give us this masterpiece of reclaimed woods, windows, and ingenuity. How creative!!!! I like the windows for cabinet doors a lot. Extremely clever. Also, the decorating is bold and Renita is brave. She really trusts her instincts and goes for it. The results turned out fantastic.

Hi Rebecca,

Thank you for your comments. I am glad you enjoyed all the pictures!

Have a nice Thanksgiving.

11. LoriD says

I wanted to see more! All the old signs are just perfect for the space.

• Renita says

Thanks so much Lori. I seem to like signs more than anything else. I picked one up this weekend at an antiques show that says, “ROOMS”. I always wanted one that said that. It has old glass that outlines the letters and I was thinking of electrifying the back. That is probably my next project!

Have a nice Thanksgiving.

12. Shabby Chick says

As an antiques lover myself, I can totally relate to Renita’s decorating style. She did a fabulous job, I love it to pieces! 😉

Hi Shabby Chick,

I love your name! I just went to a show this weekend and picked up a sign that says “ROOMS” as well as 6 small old buckets, three in red, three in white and three in blue. I have a red, white and blue guest room (with an Uncle Same and all) and I put the buckets on an old blue shelf. Looks pretty cute!

Enjoy your holiday season and thanks again for your comment.

13. me says

While I like her kitchen, I wouldn’t call it “stepped back in time” because if you actually did step back in time, there wouldn’t be any cabinets and it definitely wouldn’t look like this.

Kitchens used to have only freestanding furniture, and a heck of a lot less of it — even a fancy kitchen only had a table, maybe one Hoosier-type cabinet or similar, and an icebox. Kitchen cabinets only started being a standard part of houses in the early 1930’s at the earliest, I think.

• says

I don’t think she meant that it was quite that far back in time, when kitchens didn’t have cabinets! Ha. She was talking more about a feeling than an exact replica of an earlier time.

• Renita says

Yes, I would love to have freestanding furniture. I love Hoosiers as they have a lot of function and charm.

Thanks for your comment.

14. Mary Jo says

Beautiful! This the the best kitchen in your contest so far! Antique style done right!
    I love everything, but the screen doors- winners!

Hi Mary Jo,

Thanks for your comment. The screen doors were a pain in the neck to get back from Nashville, but I am glad we went through the trouble.

Have a nice Thanksgiving!

15. Mrs. Pear Tree says

Wow. Just… wow. That’s very possibly one of the coolest kitchens I’ve toured! I need to start thrifting more!!!!

16. ImJacobsmom says

What can I say that hasn’t already been said ~ I absolutely LOVE THIS!!

Hi Kelly,

Sorry I won’t let you steal them :)
      Thanks for the “green” compliment. Love green (and red)!

Have a great holiday season.

17. MelanieL says

I love everything about this kitchen! She did a great job and I like the story about her son’s (girl) friends!

Hi Melanie,

Thanks for the comments. With my teenager, I will take appreciation any way I can get it!

Have a great Thanksgiving.

18. Anne B-P says

Beautiful kitchen! Bravo to Renita for combining modern beauty with antique beauty! That is hard to accomplish and she pulled it off very well!

• Renita says

Thank you Anne. I am challenged enough in the kitchen! I need all the help I can get with modern applicances :)

I appreciate your kind words.

19. Catherine says

I love the white kitchen…but it’s *too* white for me; no wall space for color or artwork. Over-all, I have to say that this is my favorite so far!

• Renita says

Thanks, Catherine. We just painted the white one weekend a few weeks ago. I seem to be in a lighter phase right now.

Have a nice Thanksgiving.

20. Betty Todd says

I love it! My house was built in 1862, though the kitchen addition is more modern 1903. I wish it looked like yours.

HI Betty,

And I wish I had an 1862 house! Maybe we can swap? :)

Thanks for your nice words.

Have a great Thankgiving.

21. Laura says

Very nice! I really love the floors, the screen doors, and the green. The stainless appliances work well with the colors, too.

Hi Laura,

Thank you for all the compliments.

Have a nice holiday season.

22. Kathy :) says

WOW so creative Julia…………….love how she married the floors….

Happy Thanksgiving to you…..
    Kathy :)

23. 65andcounting says

Just getting cable and internet back yesterday after two weeks without, post- Sandy, I’ve been playing catch-up all day, like a slug, sitting at my computer, reading all the blogs I’ve missed for 15 days, 7 hours, 8 minutes and 33 seconds. :-)

LOVE this renovation, especially, as others have said, the floor. And The breakfast table is a perfect complement to the space. Congratulations.

I had full intentions of sending pix of my own kitchen but a little thing called a hurricane knocked us on our keesters. No power for 11 days. Trees down all over the place, 100 and 200 year old trees. But what kept us going is the sense of community, living in a small town. Gotta say, I’m Hooked on Neighbors.

Great other kitchen photo submissions.

• says

I’m glad you’re all right! I was thinking about you and my other readers who were in the path of the storm and hoping for the best. Just kills you to see all those trees and houses wiped out by it.

Times like that definitely make you appreciate your neighbors!

• Renita says

Thanks for your nice words.

We, too were affected by the hurricane. It is amazing and scary that Mother Nature can be so brutal at times.

Wishing you a nice Thanksgiving.

24. Christina from Dallas says

Cute cute cute! I could have a rootbeer float in that kitchen. What a great design concept!

• Renita says

Thanks for your comment, Christina. Love Texas. We lived there for many years!

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for all your kind words.

Have a nice holiday season!

25. Mel says

Wow, this kitchen is truly transformed from a dowdy little room into a truly liveable kitchen. It looks great and so inviting!

Hi Mel,

Thank you for your feedback.

Have a wonderful holiday season!

26. dolly says

Beautiful… love all of it..Classy country… so well put together.. keep finding more & more items to catch the eye

Hi Dolly,

I appreciate your comments.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

27. Vicki says

I love this kitchen so much! It’s the winner as far as I’m concerned. My kitchen looks way too much like the ‘before’ photo, so this has really inspired me to do something with it. Thanks!

Hi Vicki,

Thank you for your comments. I am so glad that my photos have inspired you! Good luck with your kitchen.

Happy Holidays!

Hi Mary,

Thanks for your kind words. Maybe that can be arranged! :)

Happy Holidays!

28. Tracie says

Winner winner! Ding ding ding! This has got to be my favorite kitchen of all time! It is definitely one of a kind. I’d LOVE to cook and just stand around in it! I don’t blame her son’s friends for wanting to come over and hang out in there. The general store doors are such an awesome idea….I can almost hear them slamming right now…..I’d love to see the rest of Renita’s home.

This has been such a fun contest. I love seeing real homes!

Hi Tracie,

I really appreciate all your nice feedback!

Have a nice holiday season!

Hello Julia!

How are you doing, my dear friend?! I try to come here almost every day, but sometimes I’m in such a rush and I don’t leave comments. Your website is one of my favorites.. you know that. :-)

Just wanted to say “hello” and to thank you for all the effort you put here. You’re amazing!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

WOW! I am in love with Renita’s kitchen makeover. It’s wonderful to see how cleverly she combined the old and the new. The result is not only homey and beautiful, but distinctive. The old-window cupboards are genius.

• Renita says

Thank you Jane. I am glad you liked it.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

31. Julianne says

HOW did she make the window-cupboard doors?? I love love love that.

This is a great, warm kitchen…I love the beams. We are going to open our kitchen/dining room area to make one large room and I know I’m going to use some of the elements she has done so well!

Hi Julianne,

Thanks for the kind words. We purchased the windows (the center ones are larger than the ones on either side) and we cut them down to fit the backs of the cupboards.

Hope this answers your question.

32. Amy says

What a unique and special kitchen! I’d love to see the rest of the house!
    Wonderful job, Renita!

Hi Amy,

Thank you for your nice comment.

Have a great holiday season!

33. Joe B says

I can only imagine what the rest of the house looks like? What style house is this in and what part of the country? Great eye, if Renita isn’t a decorator, she should be!

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your compliment.

The rest of the house is very much like my kitchen. Lots of old signs, painted furniture, folk art and hooked rugs. My house is a 1939 cape cod. I live in a suburb of New York (approximately 30 minutes north of New York City in Westchester County).

34. Marion G. says

Transforming two separate rooms into a single kitchen is a great idea.
    The windows are a great idea from a green perspective. The modern appliances look appropriate and not out of place. Even the chandelier looks great, would of never thought of a chandelier in a kitchen but it looks great.
    Kudos to Renita for her bold ideas and tying everything together!

Hi Marion,

Thank you. I love using chandeliers in unexpected places. I have one in my bathroom as well.

Once again, thanks for the compliments.

Have a nice Thanksgiving.

35. Buelah M says

Renita’s house is gorgeous! Wonder how big it is? Is she a professional decorator because it seems as though she is not according to the blog. What is her day job?
    Is her house an old house and what style?
    Great ideas, must have been a boatload of fun to find all those signs and pieces!

Hi Buelah,

Thanks for the nice words.

My house is a 4 bedroom cape cod built in 1939. No, I am not a professional decorator but ocassionally I do design work on the side.

Yes, I love the thrill of the hunt finding antiques.

36. Linda R says

All this kitchen needs is some stuffing and a Thanksgiving turkey!

Hi Linda,

I think we may be able to arrange that this week! :)

Have a great Thanksgiving!

37. Julianne M says

Beautiful house and such an inviting kitchen! The color palette works together so well!

38. Julianne says

Also – if Renita does a follow-up on any of our questions, would she tell us what brand the range is? Also, I’m guessing there’s a fan/vent thing (don’t know the word!) that’s hidden behind the big slab of wood over the top of her range…is that right? Was it just installed like normal and then you added the hood and the wood?

Seriously wonderful job!

Thanks, Julianne.

The range is a GE Monogram. Yes, your are correct! The vent is behind the “chimney” above the range. The hood was custom built and we added the reclaimed wood for character. The fan motor is vented on our roof.

39. Abby S says

Nice to be able to work with modern appliances yet feel like you are in an old kitchen! I feel as though there must be a story behind that wood above the stove?

• Renita says

Yes, Abby. You are correct! We found the reclaimed wood beam approximately two hours away from our home. My husband drove up to pick it up with our then 4 year old in tow. Needless to say, neither one of them was pleased! He had to drive back with the beam sticking out of the back of our jeep. It was much longer and had to be cut down to size.

40. Rose Nadasi says

Renita is a dear friend of mine and I am lucky enough to actually get to drink coffee and dine in her beautiful kitchen!! She is unbelievably talented- I’ve watched her antique cabinets, paint walls, rearrange furniture…it is truly a labor of love and it shows! If you love her kitchen you will be in for a treat when you see photos of the rest of her house!

Thanks Rose.

You are an amazing friend and I am so lucky to get to share the conversations we have (about anything and everything) in my kitchen and yours!

41. Alex Milano says

Wow! This kitchen is amazing! I could just imagine preparing a wonderful Italian meal in there. What lovely knicknacks! Great signs!

Thanks, Alex.

I appreciate your feedback.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

42. Kim says

I love how warm and cozy this kitchen feels. I bet lots of wonderful meals are cooked in there.

Hi Kim,

Thanks for the kind words. I am still trying to perfect my cooking skils! :)

Have a nice holiday season.

43. Darren says

This kitchen is a true inspiration to someone who normally just goes to the kitchen for a quick snack. This aesthetic taste is quite pleasing to the eye and shows you the dedication and determination Renita had to transform her vision and ideas into a reality!!!

Thank you Darren.

I appreciate your comments.

Have a nice Thanksgiving!

44. Jennah says

One word – COVET!

Wow! What a gorgeous reno. This is the type of kitchen than is warm and welcoming. Thank you, Renita, for sharing your beautiful kitchen and thank you, Julia, for featuring this one!

The creativity of repurposing so many pieces is truly inspiring.

Hi Jennah,

Thank you so much for your nice feedback.

Have a great holiday season!

Hi Paula,

Thank you for your nice comment.

Have a great holiday season!

45. Sherry says

Wow, I am in love love LOVE with this kitchen! I would never want to leave it. What a fantastic job she did on it!

Hi Sherry,

Have a great Thanksgiving!

46. Carolyn says

Great job. Definitely the kitchen with the most personality and creativity so far. As I love old things, too, this one appealed to me. I’d like to know more about how the lower cabinets were distressed and painted (love that color green) – I bet there were lots of steps involved. Great use of upcycled pieces. The only thing I’d change is the kitchen chandelier – seems a bit glam for the old general store, worn and primitive country look going on. My favorite thing is the old window cabinet doors with curtains behind them. Love the finish on them, too. And then there’s the beams, the general store counter and doors, the hood, the soapstone, the paneled wood backsplash/wainscoting . . . I could name everything.

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for all the compliments. Yes. There were many steps involved with the lower cabinets. Staining, painting, sanding and then poly-ing.

I’m sorry that the pictures that include the chandelier do not show the worn black paint and the rust. I actually picked it up at a consignent store and liked it because it had elements of stainless steel and had a worn patina. I actually added the crystals for some glam. I like to mix thing up as you can probably tell! :)

Again, thanks so much for all your kind words.

47. Kimber says

Oh wow! This is an amazing kitchen! If I had this kitchen, I just might learn to love cooking! I wish Renita would redecorate my home. Absolutely beautiful.

Hi Kimber,

Thanks for your nice comments!

Perhaps that could be arranged! :)

Have a great Thanksgiving.

48. Jill says

WOW! What a transformation. I love everything about this kitchen. It brings you right back in time while still being able to enjoy modern day luxuries. I don’t like to cook or entertain but if this were my kitchen I definitely would. It takes a special talent to blend the old with the new and Renita was definitely born with that gift. I wish she had her own reality show to help the rest of us:).

Hi Jill,

Thank you so much for your very kind words! Maybe I will start with a blog and then try to work my way up to a reality show! :)

Have a great holiday season!

49. Rebecca C. says

This kitchen is giving me so many ideas! I love that floor. Great use of paint. I love the hood over the range. Amazing what you can do with old wood. Everything works together in this kitchen. Even the signs are great. Thanks for sharing.

Hi Rebecca,

Thank you for all your compliments!

Have a nice Thanksgiving!
      Renita

I agree…this is what I’d do to mine, too. Love every detail. Am so impressed and envious and inspired.

Hi Weezie,

Thank you for your kind words.

Have a nice holiday season!

51. sandyb says

This kitchen ticks all the boxes for me. Luvvvvvv it. Million dollar houses all decked out by overpriced designers couldn’t hold a candle to this truly remarkable kitchen. Holding my breath to see the rest of her home.

• renita says

Thanks so much sandyb. It’s funny you said that…I remember watching the movie, “Sleeping with the Enemy” and liking the charming house that Julia Roberts rented in the college town way more than her beautiful beach house that she shared with her husband!

52. Dina says

I really like it, especially the floor. The one thing that doesn’t work for me is all the signage. It made me think of little specialty shops they make for tourists.

Hi Dina,

Thank you. I am glad you like the floor. It took a while to figure out what to do with it!

Have a great Thanksgiving!

53. kristen says

Renita,
    I love, love your kitchen, I would really like to see pictures of the rest of the house!

Hi Kristen,

Thanks so much. I believe that Julia will be posting pictures of my dining room this week.

Have a nice Thanksgiving!

54. Laurie says

I am absolutely in love with your kitchen! My favorite part, if I could only pick one is the “General Store” doors! Awesome job!

• Renita says

Thank you Laurie, I appreciate your nice comments.

Have a great holiday season!

55. Kathy says

Like everyone else, I love this kitchen. And the floor! Wow! Just curious, how tall are your ceilings?

• Kathy says

Thanks, I thought so. That’s what I have to. I’ve been debating having my lower cabinets painted darker, your kitchen is giving me the courage to go for it!

• Renita says

I’m so glad. It’s only paint – worse comes to worse you can paint over it.

Good luck Kathy!

56. Signe says

This kitchen wins in my humble opinion… not only because it’s functional and beautiful, but it shows the personality of its’ owner!! Such great fun…

Hi Signe,

Thank you for your kind words!

Have a nice holiday season!

57. Nathan says

This kitchen is by far the winner! Just so cozy, I can just see a family having Thanksgiving dinner in that dining room, with everyone coming into the kitchen to chat and wait for dinner. I currently live in a 1960’s ranch house and long for the day that we get an older home and I can redo the kitchen to look like that! I would love to see the rest of the house….

Nathan

Hi Nathan,

Thank you so much for your nice feedback!

That is exactly what we do – everyone seems to congregate in the kitchen no matter what!

Have a great Thanksgiving!

58. Andrea says

I am a little late to the party but oh so glad I finallly made it!!!! This kitchen blows me away with all the charm! Love it. I would love to know, Renita, what color of green is on the cabinets and what fabric you used for the uppers???? Thank you so much for sharing and hurry up and start a blog!
    Andrea

• Jane says

Hi Andrea, I’m Jane from wayyyy up above. I keep coming back to this blog post hoping for any hints on the paint colour etc. — so glad that you asked and I’m going to keep checking back to see if Renita shares 😉 Thanks again Renita, I loved that you replied to all the comments (including mine) and I can’t wait to read your blog!

Hi Jane,

I promise I will check on the paint color when I return from my trip. Also, thanks again for your interest. I am excited to start my blog and as mentioned to Andrea I took a number of pictures today that I will post on my upcoming blog! I can’t wait to start!

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Hi Andrea,

Being late to a party is fashionable so they say! Welcome :) Thanks for your very kind words! I am traveling and do not know the color green off the top of my head. I will check when I get back home. The fabric used for the uppers was a blue/taupe toile from Country Curtains. I bought the fabric and had them made into curtains.

I took a lot of pictures today at a fun market and hope to start my blog with them in the next few weeks

Thanks for your interest and enjoy your Thanksgiving!

59. Lisa Smith says

I am late to the party as well! I LOVE this kitchen!!!!! Well done Renita!!!! You have a real gift. It is absolutely charming! That floor is fabulous! Each wonderful detail just adds that much more to the entire effect. It has so much character and is incredibly inviting! I will be thinking of you serving that turkey tomorrow in this amazing space.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

Hi Lisa,

Thanks so much for your very kind words! As I mentioned to Andrea, being fashionably late is a good thing! :)

Have a great Thanksgiving!

60. SRH119 says

I LOVE this kitchen! It is so my taste! I must come over for coffee to see it and the rest of the house live. Renita, you are incredibly talented!

• Renita says

Thank you so much! I appreciate the compliments. Happy Holidays!

61. Karen says

This kitchen is so rich in style – I think the floor makes the entire space! And – I love how things are matchy – well done!! About 25 years ago or so, I wanted to put fabric behind my cupboards like this woman did. Everybody thought it was nuts:) I could SEE it in my mind – it would have looked great . . . but we moved to a cottage on a creek – much smaller and cozier.

• Renita says

Thanks for your kind words, Karen. I need new ones, as well! :) Have a great holiday season!

Renita, I am very cusrious about the green color, too. If you share the n
    Color name/make I would appreciate it so much, I’ve been saving pictures for a long time of kitchens with colored bases and light uppers. I have a 1980’s kitchen I want to transform with paint. Trying to get my courage up to DO it,

I love old signs and graphics. Your kitchen is wonderful.

• Renita says

Thanks so much Dixie. We renovated some time ago. I tried looking for a record of the color with no success. I believe that it was a color by the Old Milk Paint Company. I hope that helps. If I find it, I will leave another comment.

Have a great holiday season!

63. dana says

I, too, especially love the floors. We’ve been in our house for 17 years and have 3 kids. You can imagine the wear on our hardwood floors. I have strongly considered a pattern similar to this in our kitchen. What type paint was used? Did you do it yourself? What was the process? I would love to see pics of how this flows into joining rooms because I was unsure how to stop the pattern in the doorway to our hall/ bathroom and family room.

Hi Dana,

Thanks for your comment. I used Manchester Tan (Benjamin Moore) for the lightest color, 1/2 gunstock and 1/2 English Chestnut (minwax I think) for the brown and Black Wrought Iron (Benjamin Moore) for the black squares. I did not do it myself, a painter did it. We did the pattern with blue tape after the floors were sanded. We used oil paint and poly (at least 2 or 3 coats, I believe). I will take pictures of how the floors flows into other rooms shortly. Crazy time right now :)

Have a great holiday season!

64. Carol White says

I would love to see the rest of Renita’s home. This kitchen is by far my favorite!

Hi! I’m really late to this party, but oh my gosh! I absolutely love this kitchen! I love homes that show the personality of the people who live there. This one is beautiful I’ve also been trying to figure out exactly what to do with my honey oak cabinets in my 1935 home. Our kitchen was remodeled by the former owners and, lets just say…. it’s not my style. I want the house to look it’s age, not like it was built in the late 90’s.

I’m very interested in the green color as well. I have been looking at green paint for the lower cabinetry, but everything seems too country. I’d love to know what color you used! Great job!

66. Shari says

This is my first time looking at all of these beautiful kitchens! So much hard work and love put into all of them, but this one is my favorite. :) Love the old-world, vintage feeling throughout the rooms. Wonderful!

67. Janet says

This is one of the most wonderful kitchens I’ve ever seen. I love everything about it. I could live in this kitchen. It is so homey, warm and just charming. It’s fun to just study the pics, I see something new every time.

68. Karen Occhicone says

Renita! You did an outstanding job in your kitchen! All the “Extras” make it So warm and Inviting! I know your didication to antiquing – and finding “just the right fit” for things. You make it sound so easy, but people should be aware – that although it is a passion for you – it still takes a tremendous amount of time and hard work and for sure – it takes a “good eye.” You are an impressive person on many levels. Congratulations on doing a superb job! :)

69. Menahil says

This kitchen is a masterpiece! Seems like a lot work has gone into this beautiful kitchen. I adore the pantry doors and am a sucker for anything vintage!