Amy Stacy’s Cheery Cape Cod Kitchen

Welcome to Amy Stacy’s kitchen in her 1938 Cape Cod. She writes, “I am an architect and design kitchens all the time. When it came to my own house I combined all of my favorite things in one room–black & white flooring, marble, industrial-style fittings, retro details. I have three kids and a crazy busy life, and this room is the heart of our house.”

What a cheery space–and gotta love a Dutch door. Thanks, Amy! You can check out her website at Stacy Studio and her Facebook page for more photos.

See More “Hooked on Your Kitchens” Contest Entries: Kitchen Stories.

This is one of the entries submitted for my “Hooked on Your Kitchens” Contest. We’ll vote later, but I’m trying to feature as many of my readers’ rooms as possible. One rule: keep the comments positive and polite, please. Thanks!

Carrie's dark wood kitchen with black island
Welcome to Carrie's warm and spacious kitchen. She writes,"My kitchen is my favorite room because it flows indoor to outdoor in a wonderful way. We entertain…
Finding Home-Laura's Thanksgiving table
Welcome to Laura's house in New York where she lives with her husband, their two daughters, and a Goldendoodle named Bailey Rose. I've been following…

Comments

1. Nadege says

I love everything about this kitchen. It not only looks good, it also FEELS good.

Well done.

• says

Me too, Lisette. My previous house had gas, so I decided to try the smooth-top electric this time. When it’s time to replace I’ll be going back to gas!

So cosy! And there are a lot of original touches here. I also love that you kept the cabinets.

3. Blake says

A very cozy kitchen! The red and yellow colors really make it warm and inviting…very cute!

4. Becky says

Be still my ever loving’ farmy heart. So happy. So cheerful!! That Dutch door just takes the cake.

5. Julia says

By far my favorite in the kitchen entries. This is a kitchen that says ” heart of the home” to me . Warm colors, love the red accent cabinet. My grandmother had a Dutch door, so I am partial to that feature as well. I also love the small table in front of the window. Well done!

6. Jennah says

I love this – it’s not only lived in, it’s loved in! So many wonderful touches from the red base and farmhouse sink (looooove) to the Dutch door (looooooove even more). It’s a kitchen where I would feel welcome to share a cup of tea and have a chin-wag.

Thanks for sharing. These types of kitchens are my favourite! ?

• says

Eric, I used honed Lisbon Black granite. It looks pretty but is a pain to keep clean, as it shows every spot and crumb.

7. Julie says

I am head over heals for this kitchen! From the red cabinet, to the dutch door and the black and white floors. I am so swooning!

8. Nancy S says

This is also my favorite, so far! It makes one wish to be a friend who could pop over to enjoy a nice cup of tea or coffee while sitting at the window table. Very inviting and cozy.

9. Shabby Chick says

Cheery and retro! I love it when people incorporate all of their favorite things into their home, rather than just going for the latest fads. If I could design my own kitchen it would have a black and white checkerboard floor, white cabinets, apron front farm sink, maple countertops, island with marble top, a big window over the sink and a sweet dutch door <3…..ahhhh, if only. 😉

10. Mary Jo says

I think this is my favorite so far, I love the sink, the dutch door, and the floor, along with everything else. So charming!

11. Anne C. says

oh my goodness- I love love love this kitchen- every time I see someone who works with what they have it gives me such inspiration- I am constantly torn between a “facelift” of our current kitchen or ripping out completely and starting from scratch. We already painted our original cabinets white and replaced the hardware, but i would love to replace the floor with checkerboard- and I think I recognize the light fixture from pottery barn? :)
    Is the floor vinyl? Did you have new cabinets or did you get a farmhouse sink to work on exisitng cabinets? Love it!

• says

Anne, the floor is real linoleum, and it’s a pain in the butt to keep presentable without wax. Yes, the light fixture is from Pottery Barn. It was the first thing I bought for the room. The sink base and drawers to the right of the dishwasher are newly built to match the existing cabinets. I removed a soffit and added moulding to the upper cabinets, and also at the top of the base cabinets to raise the counter height. We saved many dollars by working with the cabinets we had on the sink wall. The cabinets on the range wall are all new.

Thanks for your kind words!

• Anne C. says

well, I just love it! I know how much we would save working with our exisitng layout/cabinets, but part of me would love to save up, wait and really go all out and take down the wall between my kitchen and family room (which would mean starting from scratch). Since I cannot make up my mind we continue to live with our gross, all white (!) vinyl floor (I also have 3 small kids so you can imagine how great that looks) and very, very old appliances.

12. Laura says

Very nice to see color in a kitchen!! And I like that the floor is more a black and cream that black and white. (at least that’s how it looks in the photos)

Happy place! Love the table in the kitchen….

P.S. I think I have that same tiny, white T.V. in mine…. 😉

14. Gail Rubin says

i LOVE the dutch door in this kitchen! The colors remind me of mine. I also have the black and white flooring with white cabinets. I love the farmhouse sink and the pop of red is fabulous. THis kitchen definitely feels warm and inviting. That is what I think a kitchen should feel like. Great kitchen. Love it.

15. Slab says

It’s a small detail, but I love the power strip between the marble and tile back splash.

16. Julie B. says

This kitchen looks extremely warm and family-oriented. I love the red cabinet with the farmhouse-style sink and the combo of different styles. Cozy and comforting. Great!

17. Tracey says

I’m probably alone on this, but I love that the fridge is on the other side of a wall from the rest of the “work area” – there’s just no such thing as a nice-looking refrigerator. Also love the bookshelves… and everything else about this kitchen :)

18. Screendoorgirl 3 says

This is so pretty!. I love the farmhouse sink with the pop of red on cabinets. This is my cottage dream house by the sea kitchen! Cozy..