Pianist Lorie Line’s House on Lake Minnetonka

by hookedonhouses on November 3, 2012

Lorie Line is a pianist, composer, and performer known for her popular holiday shows. She lives in Minnesota in a Mediterranean-style villa on nearly 4 acres overlooking Lake Minnetonka. She just put it on the market for about $4 million, so let’s take a look!

Lorie told the Star Tribune that she and her husband are downsizing but staying in the area.

From the entry you can see Lorie’s piano at the other end of the hall:

Here’s hoping all the zebra skins aren’t real…

I’ve never seen a throw like this one on the bed. If you stare at it too long, you might think you see the “fingers” moving (or maybe I’m just writing this too late at night and my eyes are playing tricks on me–ha):

The house has 5 bedrooms and about 8,500 square feet.

Here’s the reason I’d love to have this house…

All the porches and outdoor spaces with uninterrupted water views. Lovely.

She and her husband own the houses on both sides of this one, using them as a recording studio and guest house.

For more photos and information check the listing by Patty Yorks. (Thanks to Ann for telling me about it!)

Read more about Line and her house in the article at the Star Tribune. Visit her website to see her holiday tour schedule. Photo at top via Lorie Line Music.

On Sundays I feature interesting properties for sale. Click here to see more!

House Crazy Sarah November 3, 2012 at 10:11 pm

I think those finger things on the bed are white fox tails! Beautiful home but too many dead animal pelts for my liking.
Plus, a Mediterranean style home on a Minnesota lake seems a little out of place — is it just me?

Mary November 4, 2012 at 6:06 am

I am from this area and it is beautiful, but I agree it is a bit out of place.

hookedonhouses November 4, 2012 at 7:57 am

Really? Fox tails? Oh, my.

Susan F. November 4, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Totally agreeing with you on your comment!

Kara November 3, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Other than the setting, I don’t like anything about it. I especially hate all the animal pelts!

Beckie November 3, 2012 at 10:26 pm

I agree with Kara. Didn’t like anything. It looked as if it had been picked up from Hollywood and placed in MN.

Louise November 3, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Yup, I think I saw the fingers moving too.

hookedonhouses November 4, 2012 at 7:56 am

Glad I’m not the only one! Ha.

snaggy November 4, 2012 at 12:10 am

I don’t like the house it seems cold needs some colour ….but I like the location

Xenia November 4, 2012 at 4:53 am

I love the location and the exterior of the house is beautiful. Thank you for posting it.

jamey November 4, 2012 at 5:02 am

Those animal hydes made me retch. Very tacky indeed. The outside is quite beautiful however.

Dava November 4, 2012 at 11:16 am

Hides, not hydes.

Dava November 4, 2012 at 11:18 am

But I agree with you – the house is tacky. Like Graceland on a lake.

Kelly November 4, 2012 at 7:58 am

Wow, such feminine decorating. My husband would never go for all that!

Melody November 4, 2012 at 8:03 am

Agree with everyone else about the setting, the house and the fox tails. Sad that anyone equates luxury with animal pellets.

Dava November 4, 2012 at 11:15 am

Um, that would be pelts, not pellets. Pellets are what goats poop out.

Jessica November 4, 2012 at 5:36 pm

haha….

Miss Em November 4, 2012 at 8:14 am

Too much Hollywood tackiness for me. The animal pelts are disgusting. She should be ashamed.

mollie d November 4, 2012 at 8:22 am

Ha! I grew up in the area playing her music for my piano recitals. All I could think when seeing this was tacky, tacky, tacky. Looks like I wasn’t alone!

Karen November 4, 2012 at 8:45 am

The exterior of the house and the grounds are so lovely….and yet so wasted on a cold interior space. I’m imaging a house full of color and whimsey…overstuffed chairs and personal photographs everywhere….cozy kitchen. I do love the porches though. And why do photos of these expensive houses NEVER show a television anywhere?? haha

MsJulie November 4, 2012 at 9:07 am

The decorating is too gaudy for my taste. Without the tacky decorating, the house is just ok.
The animal pelts (even if they are fake) are repulsive.

sue November 4, 2012 at 9:29 am

I’d buy it and spend another couple million changing the entire inside!!!!!! Top to bottom. I’m actually having fun thinking of what I would do to make it mine..And the animal pelts……….. yuck. With my house you’d see real animals and the only wild animals one would see would be photo’s I have taken on my worldly travels ( I’m still in my fantasy worl of being super wealthy::))).. I’m with Karen, where are the TV’s??. I’d have a TV in every 3rd room so I could watch HGTV, BRAVO and my sitcoms. The area is awesome though ( I’d change all the gardens).And I am sure this woman loves her home and takes pride in it so I feel a little guilty…it’s just not MY style.

Sue, Minnesota

Christina from Dallas November 4, 2012 at 9:54 am

Yucky to the animal pelts! I hate when people have animal heads on their walls too! Killing animals should not be a decorating decision! I would enjoy sitting on that porch though.

T. November 4, 2012 at 10:04 am

All that white on the inside must look extra stark when there is snow on the ground outside, which is a good chunk of the year in Minnesota.

Kelly November 4, 2012 at 10:07 am

Very fancy. Not the kind of lake house children and grandchildren will tromp in, dripping wet, after a day on the lake. Ohhh, watch out for the zebra hide! Don’t get the fox tails wet! I do love that dining porch with brick pavers, but even that area is overly formal.

Becky @ Farmgirl Paints November 4, 2012 at 10:21 am

She went to our church when we lived in MN. I’ve seen that house from Lake Minnetonka…perfect location. The decorating is a little Liberace for me, but I love that kitchen island concept.

caroline November 4, 2012 at 10:30 am

I think the house is cheesy.

carla November 4, 2012 at 10:32 am

the best thing about the house are the the porches and the lake views. everything else would have to go — much too opulent for me — looks sorta liberace or wayne newton style!?!?! ;)

Joan November 5, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Those were my favorite things, too, Carla!

Tamara November 4, 2012 at 10:49 am

Way too many dead animals . a Bit Gaudy for my taste.

Jake's a Girl November 4, 2012 at 10:53 am

The house in its self is beautiful. Good thing you get to bring your own funiture.
I knew I knew this house. I saw the kitchen on a show once but it was the rotunda that stayed with me all these years later. I love the center entry circle.
Too bad I don’t have a cool 4-million. Me and my furniture would move. :)

linda November 4, 2012 at 10:53 am

Yikes. To some this is the epitome of elegance and luxury, especially in my mother’s generation. I would have placed it in the eastern part of the country.

Terry November 4, 2012 at 10:59 am

Holy Caesar’s Palace School of Design!

Dava November 4, 2012 at 11:20 am

I’m with you, Batman!

Terry November 4, 2012 at 8:51 pm

LOL. This is the first time I’ve said LOL. Fitting. Thanks, Dava!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs November 4, 2012 at 11:20 am

The views are breathtaking!!!

Tracie November 4, 2012 at 11:42 am

Not my style at ALL! The only room I could tolerate is the one small bedroom…and the location, but even those closed in stucco porches hurt my eyes!

Squeak November 4, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Her house reminds me of Celine Dion’s house in Montreal – super-sized and overwrought.

Playing the piano must pay well, though.

Mary November 14, 2012 at 10:18 am

Musicians have taken a hit in this economy and the Line’s bought a home at the height of the housing market.

Kelly - Talk of the House November 4, 2012 at 1:40 pm

You know, I wonder…when wealthy people go to decorate and furnish their big homes, do they just give free reign to a designer, or do they actually give input into what they want? And where do they get these designers from?

Terry November 4, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Kelly,
Wealthy simply means having a LOT of money. It does not mean taste or class. I know you were just pondering and really know the difference. This house is just tacky. The designer must have seen these people coming.

Kim November 4, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Like others, I love the setting, but dislike the house. I’m not a big fan of Mediterranean homes.

Terry November 4, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Kim,
I’m like you. What is the deal with Mediterranean? The only thing that looks like a Mediterranean Villa is a Villa on the Mediterranean.

Kim November 5, 2012 at 2:55 am

Terry, I’m glad I’m not the only one that’s not a fan of Mediterranean homes. Thank you for your replay.

LouAnn November 4, 2012 at 8:26 pm

I love the gray bedroom and actually like the pillows on the chairs outdoors. I love the lake/water setting the best! Thank you.

Holley November 4, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Augh! They killed a muppet for their bedroom decor! Oh the horror!

Alie B November 5, 2012 at 12:28 pm

It’s a fabulous house, inside and out. It just desperately needs redecorating. The outdoor spaces are gorgeous!

Joan November 5, 2012 at 1:53 pm

The porch is lovely, the views are tremendous.

The decor? Yech. (That’s my sophisiticated two cents’ worth, anyway!)

And while not a big fan of the zebra pelts and fox tails, I can’t get too sanctimonious about it. I do have a gorgeous leather sofa in my house, and a closet full of leather shoes….

Brian Steffens November 10, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Love everything about the outside and inside of the home. Very beautiful and everything flows. Can tell that lorie has a gift for piano and very artistic in decor. All the comments above they don’t know style or are used to living on the farm.
Keep up the great decor lorie.

Annie November 11, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I have to agree with Brian, this home is very beautiful and tastefully done. I think this a perfect home to raise a family in all 8,500 sq ft of it! Love that Lorie has reused so many items from her shows in her home. I think most of the people who have commented here have never been in a home of this quality and lack any appreciation for style.

dsome November 13, 2012 at 2:59 pm

All the natural wood used made me shudder. Couldn’t they have decorated with more fake wood. Aren’t zebras a protected species in Minnesota and isn’t white paint outlawed? … Jeeez-zuz people, if ya wanna discuss tacky, look within!

Mary November 14, 2012 at 9:02 am
hookedonhouses November 14, 2012 at 9:15 am

I hadn’t seen that. Sorry to hear it!

Mary November 14, 2012 at 9:17 am

The listing is for 4 million and this home is valued at 2.9 million. I wonder if her upcoming tour will prevent the foreclosure.

{ 1 trackback }