It’s Fall at Thistlewood Farm–Come On In!

Welcome to Thistlewood Farm in Kentucky, all decked out for fall. I met KariAnne at the Haven blogging conference over the summer and have been stalking her blog ever since. She graciously agreed to let me show you how she’s decorating for the season, so come on in!

I’ll let KariAnne tell the story about their decision to move to the country about five years ago:

“We lived in the hustle bustle world of a big city with all the lights and fanfare that a big city has to offer. There were restaurants and shops and movies and plays and museums and malls and lots and lots and lots of stuff. And everywhere you looked, there were people pushing and shoving and climbing to the top, arms overflowing with all their stuff.

And my husband was on the fast-track in a tall skyscraper in the middle of that very very big city with all of its fast-paced allure and overwhelming responsibilities. And although we were happy with our four children in our hustle bustle house with our hustle bustle lifestyle…we were so busy.

“But amidst all of that busy was a dream. A dream of a place where life was simpler. A place where our children could run and breathe and grow without all of the constraints of an overwhelmingly fast-paced lifestyle.

A place where the all of the busy and the hustle and bustle and the noise and the clamor could end in a screeching stand-still.

A place where you could see the stars.”

“We jumped from the hustle and bustle and busy to a still, quiet, beautiful countryside with acres and acres of land to run and play and breathe.”

Kerry, who writes the (highly entertaining) blog House TalkN, is the one first told me about KariAnne and her blog and introduced us at Haven. She said, “I want to move into her Butler’s Pantry and live there. It’s amazing. You have to see it!” Kerry was right. It’s pretty darn fabulous:

I love her fall mantel that started with some old boards and a garden gate:

The house was built in 1918 and they’ve done a lot of work renovating it.

I nearly fell off my chair when I saw this photo of her bedroom. Gasp. So pretty:

Here’s the road leading to Thistlewood, which is also decked out for fall–doesn’t it make you want to drive over there?

Now that you’ve been introduced to KariAnne and her beautiful old farm house, head over to her blog Thistlewood Farm to see more and take the house tour. If you’re like me, you’ll get sucked in by her photos and stories and never want to leave!

Designer Susan Anthony's Acorn Cottage
Remember Westchester Magazine's American Dream Home that I told you about last weekend? New York-based designer Susan Anthony worked with Ethan Allen to furnish and…
Finding Home-Laura's Thanksgiving table
Welcome to Laura's house in New York where she lives with her husband, their two daughters, and a Goldendoodle named Bailey Rose. I've been following…

Comments

1. MissCaron says

Oh Wow. Pictures like that last one make me sad that I live in Florida sometimes. Although, right now we have a high of 78 and it is gorgeous out so I really can’t complain.

2. Mark says

Julia,

Loved the post! Went to the site to take the “house tour”…..the “Guest Bath” was awesome!!! Did you see the floor tile in the “Upstairs Bathroom”…she ain’t got nothin’ on you!!! :)

( LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your blog!!!!)

• says

Yes! She has my tile! But she was smart enough to use a gray grout instead of the black that gave me so much trouble. Love how hers turned out!

Love KariAnne! Her home is just flat-out gorgeous. I could drool over every room. But even more importantly, she is a beautiful person, inside and out. She was one of the nicest ladies I met at Haven! So glad you’re featuring her, Julia!! :)

Good morning, Julia!!!

Hey, it’s soooo good to be back around here!!! :-) I can’t tell you how busy I’m lately, but I feel blessed for that too. :-)

I love this post.. every image is stunning and full of inspiration.

Wishing you a very blessed day, my friend.

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

5. Dean says

Love that fireplace front in blacks and brown and decayed with the dried flowers in the urns. Perfect for Halloween.

6. Jessica H. says

Oh wow, I think I also audibly gasped when I saw the bedroom. When can I move in?!

7. Cyndi says

I’ve been following her blog for some time and have to agree her house is stunning. Do you think those four kids and husband are ever allowed in the house? Cause the house is too pretty and clean! Maybe they live in the barn? LOL! Just kidding!

8. Pamela says

I already follow her blog and so enjoy her weird sense of humor and funny stories. I just can’t figure out how she keeps all of that “white” so clean! Must not have pets…

9. MelanieL says

Wow, she has a gorgeous home! Thank you for highlighting her blog, I’ll be sure to check in on it now!

10. Faun says

As a minimalist, that many gee-gaws makes me really appreciate my clutter-free home.

I swoon every time I see KariAnne’s lovely home! The best part is that her lovely home is a total reflection of how fantastic she is!
    I am so grateful that I had the chance to meet both of you at Haven!
    Kerry at HouseTalkN

I love that the house is a tiny bit quirky and so original in a white/creamy kind of way. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!
    I want her to decorate my house!

13. Destiny says

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner! THIS is my favorite (so far) of all of the houses you’ve shared.

14. Kim says

What a stunning home! I love everything about it. This home deserves be put in a magazine.

15. Kelly P says

There are lovely things on every surface. So beautiful and relaxing to look at. I love KariAnne’s home. It has integrity. I was so drawn to the natural beauty in every room. So clever how the timber and other natural tones are accented by the flowers arranged in vibrant blocks of colour.
    It’s a delight to read your posts Julia!

16. Christina from Dallas says

Lovely home. I’m headed over to her blog to drool some more!

17. Michael says

It is beautiful.

And now I want to go make one of those chalk-board calendars.

Julia,

couldn’t be more happy that you featured my darling, funny, dearest friend KariAnne’s gorgeous, fabulous and very lived in 😉 Kentucky Farmhouse! She is one talented gal and even more importantly one beautiful soul! Her talent needs to be shared! Hope you’re doing well!

Heather

PS-I saw your “kitchen call” I’ll send mine in, it came out in the November Better Homes and Gardens, which just hit newsstands, so exciting and surreal!

Loved everything! The road leading there, the last picture, BEAUTIFUL. Reminds me of my home state, Indiana. Indy is gorgeous in late fall. The winding, hilly back roads…. Really liked the chalkboard! THAT I may incorporate in my own home. Thanks Julia. You always find the greatest homes, and allow us a peak in!