5 Craft Rooms Designed by Creative Women

by hookedonhouses on October 9, 2012

Gotta be honest. I’m what you could call “Arts-and-Crafts Challenged.” Even the simplest of crafty DIY projects can bring me to my knees in a tangle of yarn and hot glue. It ain’t pretty. But I love looking at beautifully designed studios. They make me think I could take on any craft project…if I only had a great space to work in!

Here are 5 studios that were designed by the creative women who work in them. Is there one that inspires you?

Click the pics & links to see more photos:

1. Anna Maria Horner’s Colorful Room, via BHG (more pics of her house here)

2. Linda’s Space at Craftaholics Anonymous

3. Dorie’s Cozy Craft Room (I wrote about her house here)

4. Margaret Norcott’s Awesome Arts and Crafts Room for Kids

5. Cathe Holden’s Studio (featured here)

Is there one you’d love to work in? Are you lucky enough to have a craft room in your house?

Bonus #6: Sarah Richardson created this blue craft room on Sarah’s House, cleverly using a couple of IKEA kitchen islands as workspace. Anyone catch that episode?

P.S. Is it craft room or crafts room? I’ve seen both but went with the one that’s easier to say!

Ellen October 9, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Here’s my happy place……..Niuveau Stitch

hookedonhouses October 10, 2012 at 6:32 am

Very nice. Thanks, Ellen!

Ellen October 9, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Make that NouveauStitch!

Candice October 9, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Beautiful spaces!! I have a craft room that I love too!

hookedonhouses October 10, 2012 at 6:31 am

Loved seeing your before and after photos, Candice!

Bridget October 10, 2012 at 12:32 am

Cathe Holden’s studio is the one I find most inspiring!

Jocelyn Pascall October 10, 2012 at 12:44 am

I like the 2nd one A LOT – but they are all great. It’s my dream to one day have a craft room of my very own.

bermudaonion(Kathy) October 10, 2012 at 5:13 am

One of our neighbors divided their huge bonus room into a craft room/man cave so they can be together while she crafts and he watches TV. It works for them and looks great!

hookedonhouses October 10, 2012 at 6:32 am

Love it!

Sue K October 10, 2012 at 5:46 am

I love Anna Maria Horner’s room the most. Of course, I’d love to have bins full of her fabrics! I do have a craft area/sewing room that we made out of a tiny bedroom earlier this year. The room is just 6 feet by 15 feet, has one window, and sloped ceilings. We fit it with a bunch of IKEA bins and worksurfaces, plus a dining room sideboard, and it works beautifully. It’s the first time in my life I’ve had a dedicated space, just for my creative ventures, and I love it.

Kelly @ Talk of the House October 10, 2012 at 6:01 am

Oh to have space like that! I have 3 shelves in a closet for my crafts. I like Linda’s from Craftsaholics Anonymous the best of these…less clutter, but I would take any of them to have a space like that. I think it is craftsroom…but I am no expert.

Janet October 10, 2012 at 7:27 am

Oh dear, I am way to excited about these craft rooms. Thanks Julia! ;)

Amanda @ Serenity Now October 10, 2012 at 7:40 am

I say “craft room” too! ;) Love those beautiful spaces. I think Linda’s is cool. I wish I could get the Scrap Box people to send ME some of those amazing organizational pieces!

I have a spare bedroom that I need to completely redo and could use as a craft space…but that means I have to clear the junk out. ;)

Ricki Jill Treleaven October 10, 2012 at 7:52 am

I have an art studio in our house. It is the “formal living room” so it’s the first room people see when they enter our home. But I really don’t care, LOL! Stop by and see it on my blog if you get the chance.

xo,
RJ

hookedonhouses October 10, 2012 at 8:01 am

I love that you turned your living room into an art studio, Ricki Jill! Here’s a link to it for anyone who wants to see it:

Jenny@EvolutionofStyle October 10, 2012 at 7:54 am

I love looking at creative spaces like this! I do have my own office/craft space, and I am so excited about it. It’s so nice to have a space that is mine, all mine!! It is a wonderful space, and the best part is that I have a closet with built-in organizers which is perfect for all things crafty. :-)

I am constantly tweaking this space – just added some more organizational goodness:

hookedonhouses October 10, 2012 at 7:59 am

Looks great, Jenny! Thanks for the link!

Shabby Chick October 10, 2012 at 9:23 am

I like 1 and 3 – no craft room here…it could be very dangerous for me to have one LOL!!!!

Jeri October 10, 2012 at 9:45 am

I never, ever get sick of seeing other craft rooms! Thank you so much for this post! I’m forever making changes to mine, adding things, moving things around. It’s always a work in progress! Here’s mine =)
xoxo
Jeri

hookedonhouses October 10, 2012 at 9:48 am

I love that so many of my readers have their own craft rooms! Thanks for sharing yours, too, Jeri!

Cathe Holden October 10, 2012 at 10:07 am

Thank you for another sweet feature! My ever-growing craft supplies completely overtook that little studio shown in those photos. They also overtook the garage, and dining room. I am now clearing out our 20 x 40′ barn to create a new and fabulous studio workshop, big enough for friends and family. I hope to have it complete in the Spring of 2013. I’ll be taking along all of the goodies featured in those shots. It’s bittersweet, to look at those images reminds me of a much simpler time.

hookedonhouses October 10, 2012 at 10:24 am

Ooh, how fun! I can’t wait to see how that turns out. I just love your style, Cathe! :-)

Amy S. October 10, 2012 at 10:48 am

Great space! I love the Arts and Crafts Room for Kids but I can’t help thinking what it would look like after my 7 year old and 9 year old were set loose in it for 5 minutes! LOL

Debbie Worsham October 10, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Now your talking my langage….Love the craft rooms!

Kim October 10, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Great spaces! My favorite is # 2. I love the storage and bits of added color with the accessories.

I love the color in the kids arts and crafts room. It makes it look bright and cheery.

Susan October 10, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Craft rooms are one of my favorite subjects! I finally got my own this year and I love my little space. It does have to double as another guest room occasionally, our grown children live out of state, but mostly it’s MINE!

I have spent way too much time today looking at all this loveliness. But I did get a couple of great ideas for storage and decor. Thank you Julia, I’m inspired!

Cathryn @ CARO Interiors October 10, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Dorie’s room gets my vote. It looks so calm and welcoming.
Glad to know yarn is your nemesis, too, Julia. Had to surrender my knitting supplies to my husband when he told me, “You will never knit and that is really okay.” He says my yarn is living happily on a farm in the country now, but he won’t say which country.

hookedonhouses October 11, 2012 at 6:19 am

Ha! That made me laugh out loud. :-)

Julie B. [Holland] October 11, 2012 at 7:06 am

They all look great, but if I had to choose one , I’d go with #2 ………

Alie Butler October 11, 2012 at 11:50 am

All of these work spaces are great, but the one that spoke to me was Cathe Holden’s. I love the organic feeling of her office. She has a talent for taking seemingly useless objects and displaying them as treasures. I checked out her blog as well. She and I have a mutual love of classic trucks, among many other things. Thanks for posting this, Julia! :)

Kristi S. October 11, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I love looking at craft rooms! I especially like Cathe Holden’s:her collections are awesome. I am very blessed to have my own craft room. I recently purged and redecorated it, but of course, it’s always evolving and changing. I posted it on my blog back in July. You are welcome to visit anytime! http://kristispapercreations.blogspot.com/2012/07/where-bloggers-create-2012-blog-party.html

hookedonhouses October 11, 2012 at 8:31 pm

So organized! That’s great. Thanks, Kristi.

Judy October 13, 2012 at 10:01 pm

What creative studios. I especially liked Cathe Holden’s green little drawer unit and the larger crate ? beside it with the cardboard pull out drawers. So nicely labeled too! I blog about art/craft studios so am always interested in seeing any and all.

Becky October 15, 2012 at 3:36 pm

I loved Sarah’s craft room! matter of fact..I pretty much like ANY room Sarah does! Now if only I wouldn’t keep have a son move in..move out..move in.. I could have a craft room!!

{ 1 trackback }