Sheryl Crow’s Hollywood Hills Estate Hits the Market

by hookedonhouses on October 5, 2012

Singer-songwriter Sheryl Crow opened the doors to her 1920s Spanish Revival home in the Hollywood Hills for a spread in Architectural Digest last year. Now she’s selling it and the two other houses on the 11-acre property for about $16 million. I always love it when we get to see more of an estate like this. Let’s look!

The main house, where Sheryl lives with her sons Wyatt and Levi, was built in 1924. She bought it first, in the late 1990s. Two years later, she acquired the bungalow and cottage nearby and created her own private compound.

In this photo from AD, Sheryl’s dog Oscar guards the front door:

The Spanish tile on the staircase is original to the house:

I’m a “book person,” so I love the little library with the windows:

No sign of the dining room in the listing photos, but here’s one from the magazine shoot:

The listing boasts a “chef’s kitchen.” I’m kinda baffled by this one and only photo of it, which doesn’t do it any favors:

I had to go back and see how it looked in AD. I guess it’s the same one, but I had to scroll back and forth a lot of times trying to figure it out:

The house has 4 bedrooms and 3.5 baths.

What we didn’t get to see in Architectural Digest was the Craftsman guest house on the property, built in 1909. In my original post about the estate I wrote, “Wish we could see that one!” I had to wait a year, but here it is…

It has 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, and “vistas of Hollywood.”

They must have been having a sale on rugs when she was furnishing the living room. All the woodwork in the house is beautiful.

For more photos and information, check the listing by Myra Nourmand of Nourmand & Associates and read the article by Mayer Rus in Architectural Digest (photography by Roger Davies and Jim McHugh).

You can see my original post about it here: Sheryl Crow’s Romantic Hollywood House.

P.S. I also wrote about Crow’s Cross Creek Farm in Nashville.

When I think of that house, it’s the fish tank in the kitchen that I remember!

ladyofargonne October 5, 2012 at 7:48 am

It’s one of the more inviting upscale places I’ve seen. I think it’s the dog in the doorway that makes it seem homey.

Danielle October 5, 2012 at 7:52 am

What a lovely house. It looks really warm and cozy. I love the library too.

If I had the means, I ‘d but his in a heartbeat.

House Crazy Sarah October 5, 2012 at 8:01 am

Love Sheryl Crow – her house is wonderful. I especially appreciate the antique bicycle over the fireplace (rather than a big-screen TV!) It’s also nice to see a superstar who has a library in her house.

Terry October 5, 2012 at 9:53 am

Lovely house. It certainly seems more “homey” than most houses in this price range. The burning question is, WHERE DID SHE GET THAT DUVET COVER!!?? I must have it.

Sarah October 9, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Terry, I can’t be sure, but I think it’s a Dwell Studio duvet cover from a few years ago. If not, Dwell Studio has some similar to it even now. :-)

hookedonhouses October 9, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Thanks, Sarah!

Rebecca C. October 5, 2012 at 10:11 am

The Spanish style house is great, but I want that Craftsman. Love the woodwork. It will be interesting if someone splits up the property eventually. I think there are three houses? I don’t blame her for buying them all. You know who your neighbor is. She’d done a great job making them look homey.

Heather October 5, 2012 at 10:44 am

Those rugs in the guest house crack me up. Maybe her boys were playing Hot Lava Monster with them?

Christina from Dallas October 5, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Of course, that explains it! I used to play that too when I was little.

Jocelyn Pascall October 5, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Beautiful! I love her decor, in both houses. I wonder why she is selling?

Kim October 5, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Nice Spanish styled home. My favorite room is the library. I could spend hours in there.

Christina from Dallas October 5, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Wonder where she’s going to move? Only a few have the money to buy in this price range. It’s surprises me how homey and warm feeling it is. I think she used to be a teacher so I guess she really appreciates books.

Erin October 5, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I do love Spanish Colonials, and this one really does look homey and comfortable. Unlike so many beautiful celebrity homes, as a mother of boys I can actually imagine two little boys running around this one. Those kitchen cabinets actually look original to the home. With the original tile on the staircase (and, from your original post, I remember she still had the original 1920’s tile in her bathroom), it wouldn’t surprise me if these were the originals too! In some ways I feel sort of romantically inclined to the fact that something perfectly functional hasn’t been torn out for the sake of modernization! She certainly has the money to do that if she wanted, but I secretly admire her even more for keeping the old ones!

Carolyn October 6, 2012 at 9:01 am

I agree. Looks like at some time the wall behind the cabinet was taken down to open the kitchen up to a sitting area, where the original kitchen would have been smaller and contained. I’m not sure about that light green color, though – doesn’t seem to fit particularly with the rest of the Spanish style house to me. Both of these houses are gems.

Katie Clooney October 5, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Love it… love her library.

Parnassus October 5, 2012 at 8:51 pm

So often I cringe when I see celebrity homes, so this one was a pleasant surprise. Both of the houses look comfortable and attractive. It did seem that the library had very few books in it–maybe “den” would be a better term for it. Also, that alphabet wall in the kid’s room looked like a giant Ouija board–between that and the oversized stuffed animals it seems kind of a creepy place to sleep.

But seriously, I love the quality, spaciousness, and architectural quality–tiles, windows, etc. that make up these houses.
–Road to Parnassus

Grand D October 6, 2012 at 8:12 am

It’s a fine house – but not really worthy of a spread in AD – but this is due to the celebrity factor.

Grand D October 6, 2012 at 8:20 am

It’s really kind of a mish-mash of designs and the landscaping is a mess. The guesthouse exterior – look at the upstairs gingerbread(?) and the shingles on the walls going down the steps….another mess

Carolyn October 6, 2012 at 9:06 am

The ‘gingerbread’ on the balcony you’re referring to is an evocation of the Swiss chalet, a style subset that was popular in the Craftsman era.

Jill October 6, 2012 at 9:25 am

What a lovely, homely house. Looks so cozy and comfortable, love the sitting room!

Tracie October 6, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Looks like a lovely, comfy home. I’d be happy with the guest house! :)

Dina October 6, 2012 at 8:04 pm

It does have some nice, warm features like the library and dining room, but I also see a sort of identity crisis going on with the house, landscape and a few of the spaces. I know location is key, but 16 million seems steep, especially for the kitchen.

Tracey October 7, 2012 at 8:04 am

I agree – the kitchen is pretty (what we can see of it) but certainly doesn’t look any more upscale than a typical $400k house.

Linda October 7, 2012 at 6:59 am

I am always amused by “libraries” belonging to “book people” with few books and empty shelves with knick knacks (not that I have anything against knick knacks). It’s like the lavishly decorated “living rooms” with no TV (yes, yes, “they never watch”) and no reading lights by the sofa and chairs (they never read?). So what do they do in those big rooms, I wonder? Where do they really live?

Wendy October 7, 2012 at 9:41 pm

I guess I’m alone. I found the Spanish style house uninspiring, and I do love that style. The art in the dining room was really depressing, to the point of being a creepy place to eat. Give me the interiors of the craftsman any day!

Jill (MyProperty.ph) October 7, 2012 at 10:29 pm

To me, the pool is probably the best part of the house. The rest of it, I’ve seen before or don’t particularly like.

Janet October 11, 2012 at 8:00 am

The house is beautiful! Buuut…the decor, leaves me a little confused. I am not sure if I like that she didn’t use a professional decorator. I like the idea to be yourself, but this home is unique and beautiful, and should be professionally decorated to emphasize that. It’s not living up to it’s potential. ;)

Janice Mahon October 12, 2012 at 9:31 am

She also put her 154 acre farm in Tennessee on the market. Maybe she’s downsizing! .

Karen July 5, 2013 at 9:56 am

I going back through some of your posts and found this lovely home. Despite some of the comments here the landscape is pretty typical of similar style homes in southern Calif., and I agree that it certainly seems more “homey” than most houses in this price range. The architectural features are beautiful and I love the staircase tiles. If she did use a designer they at least showed some restraint which I appreciate. I certainly wouldn’t turn my nose up at it or criticize the owner’s taste. If I had a choice though I would love that Craftsman guesthouse. From what I can see here–I just love everything about it.

{ 1 trackback }