A Dutch Colonial For Sale in Atlanta

by hookedonhouses on July 29, 2012

This Dutch Colonial in Atlanta, Georgia has a lot going for it: it was renovated from the ground up in 2001, decorated by interior designer Mandy Culpepper, and sits on several beautifully landscaped acres in the heart of Chastain Park. The house was featured in an issue of Atlanta Homes & Lifestyles and is on the market for $1.85 million. Take a look!

This photo makes me want to buy a couple of orange benches for my backyard:

Even the detached garage (which has a bonus room above it) is charming:

My kids would love the treehouse in the backyard:

Want it? For more photos and information, check the listing and listing agent Erin Yabroudy’s blog. Photos by Blayne Beacham

Simin July 29, 2012 at 7:47 am

This one is awesome.
I love the environment in and around it. I always get Ideas for our apartment from here since I’m a new bride and currently looking for nice and cute ideas for our apartment so every thing’s gonna look great when I’m done with it. so I come here often to see whats new?!
Thanks for the great work Julia.
Keep posting awesome photos :)

65andcounting July 29, 2012 at 7:58 am

Not my particular house design or decorating taste but the bones of the house look really good so that new owner might only have to paint…. and change out animal print carpet on the stairs (!). Coincidentally, it’s the second house in one week I’ve seen with animal print carpeting. Was that the 90s influence? It can be cute I suppose but very homeowner specific but hey, it was their home to do as they please. Love all the ways to get outside from many of the rooms and would live in the sunroom. Good luck to them.

Jane July 29, 2012 at 8:22 am

Although it isn’t my style, the home does have many charming features. The painting above the fireplace and the wall color in that space is a lovely way to add a lively note to the room. Those hardwood floors inside the front entrance are a warm, inviting color. And the wooded setting…wow!

However, I agree with 65andcounting that the animal print on the stairs seems glaringly out of place.

Animal prints also appear on a pillow in the office, a footstool and side chair in the living room, and I can’t tell…but may be on the cushions on the dining room chairs? That is quite a it of animal print in this home!

CottageGirl July 29, 2012 at 8:50 am

Yes, 65, the house has good bones for sure and the yard space is lovely.

Nice house for daydreaming on today as I listen to a gentle rain outside our window after two months of heat and no rain.

Thanks Julia!

Farmeress July 29, 2012 at 9:09 am

So many good conversational areas. I hope that house has lots of company to share its comfortable spaces!

Chris Howard July 29, 2012 at 9:31 am

We have lots of beautiful and unique old houses here in Atlanta. I love the sort of “urban rustic” style they have going in this house. The only thing I would have to change would be the animal print stair carpet.

Laura July 29, 2012 at 10:07 am

My husband would LOVE the leopard print stair runner-NOT!

gena July 29, 2012 at 11:04 am

The home is nice, I would do it differently, but that’s the fun of looking at houses! I LOVE the property. What an awesome and peaceful retreat it is! I checked out the listing and the taxes are so low, I couldn’t believe it for that size of property. It says 3 acres and the taxes were way less than I pay for 1/4 acre in nj!!!!!

thanks for sharing – I really look forward to these kinds of sneak peaks!

gena

Karen July 29, 2012 at 11:07 am

The bones of the house and the setting are wonderful. I love a number of the individual elements in the house, but they just do not seem to hang together for me. The round table and sideboard in the formal dining room, the color on the walls, the art above the fireplace and the rug in the living room, the floors in the entry and kitchen, the ottoman in the seating area, the storage/shelving in the great room and the orange benches are all great. I like that the house looks lived in and the pieces acquired over time so it doesn’t come across as over decorated. However, that animal print stair runner and all the casual rugs (sisal, berber, some of both?) just do not work with the rest of the decor.

red riding hood July 29, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I find the animal print runner on the staircase just plain tacky and cheap. It doesn’t fit in with the rest of the house at all.

Shabby Chick July 29, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Ooooh! I LOVE this house! Loving the cheetah stair runner! The only thing I’m not crazy about is the kitchen – it doesn’t seem to fit with the rest of the house. ;)

Tracie July 29, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Good bones and beautiful land, for sure, but something about the interior decorating just makes me skittish! If it were decorated differently, it would be a dream home!

Tracey Evans July 29, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I’m the same…love the house and surrounds but the decor is kind of insipid. The sudden splashes of colour and chunkier furniture in one or two room shows the potential if only the decorator had been a bit bolder…the house could take it !!

paula soares July 29, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Hi, Julia ! I love the pallete of smooth colours spread trough this house… I wish I could live in Atlanta and have morning walks with my children in its garden! Thank you for posting this.

Maria July 29, 2012 at 6:00 pm

A lovely home, but a little too rustic for rustic’s sake for me. The house has good bones, but seems outdated. The carpet on the stairs doesn’t bother me as much as the stair rail doesn’t match the style of the house (though I love an iron stair rail it seems out of place here).

If we were playing the what 5 things would you change game for me it would be:

Paint/wallpaper (including stain on front doors)
drapes/window coverings
kitchen cabinet uppers
kitchen island
stair rail

Rebekah DeLibro July 29, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Loved those orange benches outside as well! I thought the leopard print carpet on the stairs is unexpected and brings a lot of interest into the foyer. Not every room was my cup of tea but really enjoyed the rustic, modern and traditional combo.

ground protection products July 29, 2012 at 7:11 pm

This property is indeed charming and beautiful although, overall it is not to my taste. However, there are some inspiring pieces I have seen. The orange benches were indeed a fine touch and I find the detached garage with the room above very much to my liking.

david July 29, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Finally a home with some color in it. I was beginning to think there was only one way to get into a magazine or blog. Paint everything white, use all white furniture, and put two punchy trendy color pillows on something.

Christina from Dallas July 29, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Ditto about not liking the animal print carpet on the stairs. I never even knew they made that. The rest of the house has an interesting decorating style. Not sure what it is but it’s nice and I like it.

Kelly @ Talk of the House July 29, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Chastain Park is such a wonderful area! They have such a wonderful summer concert in the park series each year. Love the house itself, and I am sure they would take all their furnishings…perhaps they would like that carpet too? ha ha. I like the detached garage too! One day I want an outdoor fireplace, but I think all the burn bans we have here in Georgia would affect when you could use it.
Thanks for sharing!

Kim July 29, 2012 at 11:10 pm

The property is absolutely gorgeous and I love those orange benches. The interior is nice, but I don’t like the way it was decorated.

Wendy July 29, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Very pretty. Agreed with most about the stair runners, but that’s a small thing. I liked the way the kitchen and the way it was different from most while still being functional…but it was a little dark for my tastes. Loved the setting.

Tricia July 30, 2012 at 6:45 am

Love the bones of it, and the yard is to die for. None of the furnishings beacon you to curl up and read a book… everything looks pretty darned uncomforable to me. Although every room seems to mix traditional with a bit of funky, the whole house seems so “decorated” and not really “collected”.

Jane July 30, 2012 at 8:43 am

So interesting that many disliked the animal print on the stairs. Not my cup of tea either. That could always be changed out- perhaps before selling?

katie o. July 30, 2012 at 10:08 am

There is something so unbelievably charming about that house. And the photos are absolutely stunning. Blayne did a an amazing job capturing all of the details.

hookedonhouses July 30, 2012 at 10:33 am

She really did!

Jenny July 30, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I was so not expecting leopard print carpet in a dutch colonial! LOL!

Rachel July 31, 2012 at 7:51 am

Can’t handle the stairs! lol Leopard print?