I Went to Haven 2012 in Atlanta and Will Now Make You Look at Photos I Took on My Trip

by hookedonhouses on June 25, 2012

Man, did I have a blast at the Haven Conference for “home bloggers” and DIYers in Atlanta last week. Now–lucky you!–I’m going to share some of the photos from my trip (we took this one at the Ryobi Tools booth, pretending to know what to do with them).

Rhoda of Southern Hospitality organized the whole shebang with this fabulous team of bloggers that she introduced onstage the first morning:

The keynote speakers were John and Sherry of Young House Love and they kicked the whole thing off. They’re just as entertaining in real life as they are on their blog (which is one of my favorites). I just wish I had gotten a better photo of them than this one I snapped with my iPhone:

I taught a couple of “How to Make Money as a Blogger” sessions with these two mega-successful blog stars–Beckie of Infarrantly Creative and Sarah of Thrifty Decor Chick.

Nester tweeted out this photo from our session and you can see how small and cozy our group was that first day:

Then apparently word spread about our session–it was a little startling to walk in and see how many people were gathering on Day 2:

We even had to move our conference table out of the way to make more room for people sitting on the floor at our feet. Some of them tweeted out photos during our talk, like this one (from @PBJstories):

And this (from@rindercella):

There were lots of great sessions and I learned so much that I thought the top of my head might blow off by the end of the week.

But I have to say that the most entertaining was “I Love Thrifting” led by Rashon Carraway, known as “Mr. Goodwill Hunting.” I was actually walking past his conference room when I heard all the laughter coming from inside, so I had to peek my head in. Then I ended up standing in the back for the whole thing. Couldn’t pull myself away!

I not only met some of my favorite bloggers for the first time IRL…

But I also made some new friends and discovered new blogs while I was at it!

I had to get a photo with Rhoda and Kate (Centsational Girl), two of my long-time blogging buddies:

I went out to dinner every night with a different group of wonderful women. Some I knew, and some were new friends:

This one was Tweeted out by @ThistlewoodFarm:

I came across this scene of blog friends chatting in the lobby and had to snap a pic:

I tried to collect business cards from everyone I talked to so I could look up their blogs when I got home and stay in touch. It could take me a few days to get to them all! Here are a few of them I had on my desk at the hotel–some people get really creative with theirs!

I was sad to leave Atlanta and all my new friends behind, especially since I didn’t have a chance to see much more of the city than this limited view from my hotel window:

Now I’m looking forward to going again next year. Hope to see you there! -Julia :-)

Leo Windham June 25, 2012 at 8:05 am

Julie, just stopped by to say hi from one of the few male haven mavens. I know you girls had a great time. So did me and Jane

hookedonhouses June 25, 2012 at 8:11 am

It was great to meet you! Loved the post you wrote about Haven. :)

Lisa @TheDecorGirl June 25, 2012 at 8:11 am

Thanks for the post on this conference, looks like it was a good one. Going to look it for another year. Looks like you had great fun!

Myra @ My Blessed Life June 25, 2012 at 8:14 am

It was SO fabulous to meet you!!!! Wish we had had more time to chat!! Next year! :) xo

Susie Harris June 25, 2012 at 8:14 am

It was so good to see you again. I’m telling you, these things fly by so fast you hardly get a chance to visit. I think we need to put on a big slumber party one day haha. Enjoyed every second of Haven! I can’t wait to see you at the next one.

Jo Anne June 25, 2012 at 8:22 am

Thanks for sharing. I moved to ATL in the 70′s for my first professional job. The best thing was that I was able to live in midtown! It is the 2nd oldest area of pre-civil/post civil war homes/mansions in the city. Next time you go to ATL make time to go down there for a walking tour – and Grant Park area as well. While I loved living there for 20+ years, the growth and heat/humidity finally got to me and I moved further north. The amazing old areas of ATL are still my favorites though – well, except for the Garden district in NO.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs June 25, 2012 at 8:33 am

Julie…it was so wonderful to have met you and spend some time with you at dinner(s)…I am definitely “Hooked on Houses”….looking forward to your beautiful posts. I just wish Haven was more than once a year, as I so enjoyed meeting and getting to know so many wonderful people!

65andcounting June 25, 2012 at 8:42 am

Looks like 99.999% of the attendees are women? What, no men home bloggers?

Happy to see that the other tagline for the event was not What Happens at Haven Stays at Haven! :-)

Beth June 25, 2012 at 8:43 am

Julia, great pics! I’m loving reading these recaps! It was such a pleasure meeting you! I’m so glad you had a great time.

Wendy @ The Shabby Nest June 25, 2012 at 8:55 am

So glad we had a chance to meet in person!! You are adorable!

Roeshel June 25, 2012 at 9:46 am

Great recap, Julia! I just got home last night so still catching up but wanted to say that I am so happy I got to meet you in person! Wish we had more time to talk but there’s always next year. ;)

Katie June 25, 2012 at 10:20 am

I too enjoyed Haven, and am so glad I not only got to meet you but also got to listen to you speak with Becky and Sarah! I learned lots and can’t wait to apply it!

Amanda @ Serenity Now June 25, 2012 at 10:29 am

Oh mah word! I can’t believe my photo ended up on HOH! Julia, it was one of the highlights of my trip to meet you and grab a bite at Pappacitos. HOH is one of the very first blogs I started reading, and I’ve always admired your writing. You were so kind, and it was a blast to spend time with you. I just can’t wait until Haven 2013! Let’s get to work on that secret handshake, okay? ;)

Krystle @ Color Transformed Family June 25, 2012 at 10:37 am

Thanks so much for sharing about your Haven experience. I didn’t get to go but hope to be able to next year. It sounds like y’all had an amazing time and learned a lot.

Laura @ Cookiecrumbs and Sawdust.blogspot.com June 25, 2012 at 10:55 am

That looks like too much fun! I’ll definitely have to make an effort to attend next year.

Nathan June 25, 2012 at 11:12 am

It looks like you had a fantastic time!

Emily A. Clark June 25, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I, for one, loved looking at all of the photos. I would’ve loved to have come, but I am slightly preoccupied right now :) Maybe next year!

amanda June 25, 2012 at 12:24 pm

What, you didn’t drive around and take pics of houses there?

anna see June 25, 2012 at 12:47 pm

looks like it was great!!!! i was sorry to have to bag out at the last minute. maybe next year.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality June 25, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Hey, Julia, I’m so glad you were a part of the Haven speakers & enjoyed this first Haven conference. I can’t believe it’s all over, but sorta glad it is. So much fun to plan & see it all come together. Lots of work, but all of you smiling women made it so worth it. Hoping we can do it all again next year! Just wish I had more time to visit with all of you.

Kim June 25, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I loved looking at all of those photos. Looks like you had so much fun. I would have loved to have been there, but I live in Washington. Plus I was busy those days.

Andrea June 25, 2012 at 4:46 pm

You’re so pretty Julie!
The conference looked like so much fun. I learned about the adorable YoungHouseLove couple from your site so I liked seeing their picture, too. I may start a blog about sitting on my rear enjoying other bloggers wonderful work just so maybe I can go next time!

hookedonhouses June 25, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Aw, thanks, Andrea! :-)

Stephanie@Geezees June 25, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Looks like you had SO much fun!!

Anne June 25, 2012 at 6:21 pm

How fun! Another blogger that I follow, Budget Design Girl, also attended and possted some pictures. Looks like it was a terrific conference!

hookedonhouses June 25, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I had dinner with her one night! :-)

Kelly at Talk of the House June 25, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Looks like it was great! I am planning on being there next year. Now tell..where did y’all eat?? (Always what I think about when I am in Atlanta!)
Thanks for sharing all the pictures here (and I loved the title of your post today!)

hookedonhouses June 25, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Well, we ate at Papacito’s one night (that’s where those photos were taken in the post), at Ray’s on the River one night, and, oh, shoot, I forgot the name of the third restaurant. It was another Mexican restaurant. But they were all fabulous!

skye @ neathering our fest June 25, 2012 at 7:52 pm

It was so fun at Haven! I cannot wait until next year!!! I really loved the classes you taught and there was no doubt all the buzz created between days one and two! I’m glad they moved it into a bigger room – Although we could have definitely used a BIGGER one!! :)

Thanks for sharing my tweet picture too! ;)
xoxo, Rindercella

Beth @ Free Stylin' June 25, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I’m so happy I got to meet you!! You are so much fun to talk to, and you are a wealth of knowledge! Your blog is one of my daily reads, so meeting you was one of the highlights of my trip. You’re awesome Julia!!

classic • casual • home June 25, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Julia…so appreciate this recap of the fun times! You are gorgeous!

Mrs. D. June 26, 2012 at 7:13 am

It sure looks like it was a great time had by all. :)

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog June 26, 2012 at 8:16 am

Such a fun recap, Julia!! I was one of the few in the Ad session on Thursday and may or may not have been quoted as saying over and over to everyone I saw from then on out ‘YOU HAVE TO GO TO THE ADVERTISING SESSION TOMORROW!’ hahaha

We met briefly in the elevator on Thursday, I was the one chatting nervously about your blog. lol

So great to have had the experience and honored to have met you. :)

missy June 26, 2012 at 8:34 am

I keep hearing about this conference on the blogs that I read, so my goal for the next year is to kick it up a notch and go to this next year! Can’t wait. What a creative group of folks. I’m sure everyone found lots of inspiration. Thanks for sharing.

Rebecca June 26, 2012 at 9:10 am

Hi! Would you mind a special mini-post with the names of the blogs you discovered. Or even an email. I am really interested in reading more about the ladies and all their adventures. New to this area and learn a lot by reading other blogs. Thanks so much and enjoyed your post. Maybe see you next year!

hookedonhouses June 26, 2012 at 9:15 am

Rhoda of Southern Hospitality is hosting a link-up party today for everyone who attended. That’s a great way to find some of the bloggers who were there! Check it out: http://southernhospitalityblog.com/haven-high/

Laura Putnam June 26, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Julia – it was so great to meet you in person! You were so easy to approach and talk to and that made it so much easier for first timers! Thanks so much!

Take care, Laura

not so anonymous neighbor June 26, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I am sure Kerry was the life of the party as she is in our neighborhood….looks like good times were had by all.

hookedonhouses June 26, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Yep, she sure was! Had a blast meeting her! :-)

Amy W. June 26, 2012 at 4:16 pm

~Thanks-so-very-much for taking the time to share all about The Haven!~
~So appreciate you doing this!~

Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista June 26, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I’m there next year! I so, so badly wanted to go this year, it feels like all my bloggy friends were there, but I’m still the self-serve dairy for baby #3, so I have to unattach from her to get away:)

Jessica
stayathomeista.com

Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) June 26, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Julia, this was a great recap! Amazing the increase in attendance for your class from one day to the next! It was so great meeting you! Loved all the dinners out!

hookedonhouses June 27, 2012 at 8:10 am

It was so great spending time with you, Susan! You were a wonderful host, driving me around Atlanta! :-)

Richella at Imparting Grace June 28, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Julia, I’m so glad you had a good time at Haven! The Haven organizers were smart to include you on that panel. I would have so loved to be there! Perhaps next year. :)

hookedonhouses June 29, 2012 at 11:00 am

Hope you can make it next year! I’d love to meet you, Richella!

{ 2 trackbacks }