I’m Heading to the Haven Conference in Atlanta!

Today I’m packing up everything I own (I never have learned how to travel light!) and will be leaving bright and early tomorrow morning for Atlanta. I’ll be speaking at the Haven Conference for “house bloggers” and DIY enthusiasts.

My panel will be about how to earn a living as a blogger, something I’ve been lucky enough to do for a couple of years now (I started blogging in 2008 but “went pro” in 2010). If there are any specific questions you’d like answered on the topic, let me know and I’ll do my best to get to them!

Also on the panel with me are two blog buddies of mine, Sarah from Thrifty Decor Chick and Beckie from Infarrantly Creative. Can’t wait to see them and so many of my friends this week.

The keynote speakers will be John and Sherry from Young House Love. Very excited about meeting them in person after following their DIY adventures online for years. Their kitchen makeover was one of the first things I ever featured on my blog, so I feel like we’re old friends (whether they know it or not–ha).

Haven Speaker

I hope some of you will be there, too, and that you’ll introduce yourselves. I love meeting my readers and fellow bloggers, so don’t be shy! My biggest fear about conferences like this is not the getting-up-and-speaking part, but the who-will-talk-to-me-between-sessions part.

So if you’re nervous about finding friendly, familiar faces in the crowd this week, you’re not alone. Come sit by me!

Okay, I’d better get back to figuring out what the heck I’m going to wear. Hope to see you there! -Julia :-)

P.S. Sadly, my luggage isn’t nearly as cool as these suitcases from SteamLine. Don’t be disappointed if you see me in line at the hotel check-in with my old black bags…

Comments

1. Marsha says

So glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t know how to pack light ! No matter how hard I try. My husband can get by with one little bag.
    Wish I could be there. Have fun !

2. Sarah Cool says

Have fun in the ATL! I have meaning to tell you – I live in Cincinnati with my husband, and we just bought a historic home in North Avondale. Your blog played a helpful part in that purchase – we read and re-read your blog posts on North Avondale and really appreciated the inside picture of the neighborhood before we made our offer! We are so excited to live there, and I’m crossing my fingers that another Tour of Homes happens, so I can explore all of my neighbors homes! :-) :-) :-)

• says

That neighborhood is full of gorgeous houses! I grew up not far from there in Clifton. Nothing more fun than a home tour when all the houses have some real history to them and amazing old details like they do. Hope they do have another tour soon!

3. shabbychick says

I love those suitcases!! Have a great time and give all the details when you get back…including what you wore! 😉

I remember the days of lugging suitcases and checked bags at the airport. After years of travel for my work, I have finally been able to get everything I need into one backpack. It was challenging at first, but knowing some tricks, and learning along the way of what one really needs, it gets easier and simpler. :)
    Have a good time on your trip!

• says

I’m impressed! I have a friend who travels a lot and can pull that off, too. I’m one of those “bring-everything-that-you-might-possibly-need” people. And then I hardly ever need even half of it. You’d think I’d learn! :-)

5. Miss E says

How exciting! I am new to the whole house blogging world (which is silly because a year ago I was writing one for work) and I am starting my own LLC to have my own DIY advice and design blog! I’d never heard of this conference before today and I’m disappointed to miss it. Makes me motivated to go home tonight and finish my logo I started to build!!! Thanks and have so much fun!

Yay! I’ll be there too – can’t wait to meet you. Your blog is one of my favorites!

7. Cindy * Daisies & Crazies says

I will be there too! I was so excited when I discovered your name on the list of speakers. I look forward to meeting you! :)

Man I wish I was going! And it is only 2 hours from here. I just got into blogging too late to make a commitment to the conference. You will be great! My question would be at what point did you realize that you could make money on it? Is there some magic number of readers or was there a key turning point in your blog that made you think you could do it?
    Rhoda said they are planning on having Haven again next year, and I am planning on going if they do. Do you think you will be back next year for it? Would love to meet you if you return! Have a safe trip…oh and if you get a chance, eat at Murphy’s – my favorite Atlanta restaurant!

• says

Well, bummer! Wish you were coming. Maybe next year. I’ll keep Murphy’s in mind when everyone is suggesting restaurants for dinner–thanks!

To answer your question, I started monetizing my blog after I’d been at it for about a year and it had morphed into a full-time job. I was getting about 100,000 hits a month at the time, but I know lots of people who started sooner than that.

9. Anne Boykin says

I hope I can sit near you & will certainly come and say hello. Looking forward to seeing you. I know you’ll be wonderful.

10. Kim says

It sounds like fun. Have a good time. You will do a great job speaking at the conference.

11. Nathan says

Wish I could go to this. But as I’m in Vancouver, Canada and can’t get time off work, I’m not able to :(

12. Lisa Smith says

Hi Julia!
    I wish I had known about this as that’s my home town and would so loved to meet you in person after all our correspondence last Summer! I am in Cashiers at the moment, but heading back home over the weekend. I hope you have a wonderful time in Atlanta and hope it isn’t too hot! (much cooler in the mountains!) safe travels and good luck with everything. You will be awesome!!!!
    Lisa

13. Cindy says

Sounds like so much fun! I wish I was going! :-(

I am just diving into the world of house blogging – writing about my passion, what a dream is that?! Hope to see you at a future conference sometime. I’d definitely sit next to you – heck, I’d take you out to dinner. LOL

Have fun! Take lots of pics! We want all the details when you return, k?

14. Lisa says

Good luck at the conference! I can’t to hear the details.

I am also a huge over-packer. Even if I start out with a good plan I always throw a ton of extra things in “just in case.”

15. Eileen says

I hope you have a great time at HAVEN :) I wanted to go so badly, but being my 8th month of pregnancy, and trying save up my vacation time ’til the very end, I’ve been struggling since February to not sign up and go. I look forward to seeing everyone’s reports and interactions. It’s so neat when all the blogosphere collides.

On a funnier note, I happened to see the GOOP entry from Gwyneth Paltrow today (guilty pleasure of mine), and it had a travel theme. One of of the categories was luggage, and her pick was this shiny, secret-spy, briefcase looking carry-on. I looked it up since I hadn’t heard of that brand before, and thought ‘wow, I’m shocked that it’s at a somewhat normal price of $126!’ And then I realized… I had missed that last 0….

Hi Julia,
    I just stopped by after meeting you at Haven. Jane and I had a great time and met some really nice and creative people like you. I’ll spend some more time discovering your blog.
    Leo and Jane at cottage at the Crossroads.