I’m Heading to the Haven Conference in Atlanta!

by hookedonhouses on June 19, 2012

Today I’m packing up everything I own (I never have learned how to travel light!) and will be leaving bright and early tomorrow morning for Atlanta. I’ll be speaking at the Haven Conference for “house bloggers” and DIY enthusiasts.

My panel will be about how to earn a living as a blogger, something I’ve been lucky enough to do for a couple of years now (I started blogging in 2008 but “went pro” in 2010). If there are any specific questions you’d like answered on the topic, let me know and I’ll do my best to get to them!

Also on the panel with me are two blog buddies of mine, Sarah from Thrifty Decor Chick and Beckie from Infarrantly Creative. Can’t wait to see them and so many of my friends this week.

The keynote speakers will be John and Sherry from Young House Love. Very excited about meeting them in person after following their DIY adventures online for years. Their kitchen makeover was one of the first things I ever featured on my blog, so I feel like we’re old friends (whether they know it or not–ha).

Haven Speaker

I hope some of you will be there, too, and that you’ll introduce yourselves. I love meeting my readers and fellow bloggers, so don’t be shy! My biggest fear about conferences like this is not the getting-up-and-speaking part, but the who-will-talk-to-me-between-sessions part.

So if you’re nervous about finding friendly, familiar faces in the crowd this week, you’re not alone. Come sit by me!

Okay, I’d better get back to figuring out what the heck I’m going to wear. Hope to see you there! -Julia :-)

P.S. Sadly, my luggage isn’t nearly as cool as these suitcases from SteamLine. Don’t be disappointed if you see me in line at the hotel check-in with my old black bags…

Amanda @ Serenity Now June 19, 2012 at 8:34 am

LOL about the old black bags. You’ll be in good company…mine are old and black too! :) Can’t wait to meet you!

Sarah @ housecrazy June 19, 2012 at 8:39 am

Sounds like it will be a fun trip – John and Sherry P should be a riot! Tell us all about it when you get back!

Marsha June 19, 2012 at 8:40 am

So glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t know how to pack light ! No matter how hard I try. My husband can get by with one little bag.
Wish I could be there. Have fun !

Sarah Cool June 19, 2012 at 8:55 am

Have fun in the ATL! I have meaning to tell you – I live in Cincinnati with my husband, and we just bought a historic home in North Avondale. Your blog played a helpful part in that purchase – we read and re-read your blog posts on North Avondale and really appreciated the inside picture of the neighborhood before we made our offer! We are so excited to live there, and I’m crossing my fingers that another Tour of Homes happens, so I can explore all of my neighbors homes! :-) :-) :-)

hookedonhouses June 19, 2012 at 3:16 pm

That neighborhood is full of gorgeous houses! I grew up not far from there in Clifton. Nothing more fun than a home tour when all the houses have some real history to them and amazing old details like they do. Hope they do have another tour soon!

shabbychick June 19, 2012 at 9:24 am

I love those suitcases!! Have a great time and give all the details when you get back…including what you wore! ;)

hookedonhouses June 19, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Will do!

classic • casual • home June 19, 2012 at 10:01 am

Can’t wait for your report! Enjoy!

Janice Mahon June 19, 2012 at 10:35 am

Have a wonderful time, Julia.

Laura @cookiecrumbsandsawdust.blogspot.com June 19, 2012 at 11:16 am

Have fun! I saw you listed on the speakers list. So sad to miss this promising conference.

Laura

Aria @ TheUglyBarnFarm June 19, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Have a fun and safe trip! :)

Aaron @ QuinnImagery June 19, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I remember the days of lugging suitcases and checked bags at the airport. After years of travel for my work, I have finally been able to get everything I need into one backpack. It was challenging at first, but knowing some tricks, and learning along the way of what one really needs, it gets easier and simpler. :)
Have a good time on your trip!

hookedonhouses June 19, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I’m impressed! I have a friend who travels a lot and can pull that off, too. I’m one of those “bring-everything-that-you-might-possibly-need” people. And then I hardly ever need even half of it. You’d think I’d learn! :-)

Miss E June 19, 2012 at 12:13 pm

How exciting! I am new to the whole house blogging world (which is silly because a year ago I was writing one for work) and I am starting my own LLC to have my own DIY advice and design blog! I’d never heard of this conference before today and I’m disappointed to miss it. Makes me motivated to go home tonight and finish my logo I started to build!!! Thanks and have so much fun!

Katie June 19, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Yay! I’ll be there too – can’t wait to meet you. Your blog is one of my favorites!

hookedonhouses June 19, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Oh, good–looking forward to meeting you, Katie!

Cindy * Daisies & Crazies June 19, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I will be there too! I was so excited when I discovered your name on the list of speakers. I look forward to meeting you! :)

hookedonhouses June 19, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Great! See you there, Cindy!

Kelly at Talk of the House June 19, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Man I wish I was going! And it is only 2 hours from here. I just got into blogging too late to make a commitment to the conference. You will be great! My question would be at what point did you realize that you could make money on it? Is there some magic number of readers or was there a key turning point in your blog that made you think you could do it?
Rhoda said they are planning on having Haven again next year, and I am planning on going if they do. Do you think you will be back next year for it? Would love to meet you if you return! Have a safe trip…oh and if you get a chance, eat at Murphy’s – my favorite Atlanta restaurant!

hookedonhouses June 19, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Well, bummer! Wish you were coming. Maybe next year. I’ll keep Murphy’s in mind when everyone is suggesting restaurants for dinner–thanks!

To answer your question, I started monetizing my blog after I’d been at it for about a year and it had morphed into a full-time job. I was getting about 100,000 hits a month at the time, but I know lots of people who started sooner than that.

Anne Boykin June 19, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I hope I can sit near you & will certainly come and say hello. Looking forward to seeing you. I know you’ll be wonderful.

hookedonhouses June 19, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Thanks, Anne! Looking forward to meeting you!

Kim June 19, 2012 at 7:08 pm

It sounds like fun. Have a good time. You will do a great job speaking at the conference.

Brandy June 19, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Have fun, Julia!

Nathan June 19, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Wish I could go to this. But as I’m in Vancouver, Canada and can’t get time off work, I’m not able to :(

Lisa Smith June 19, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Hi Julia!
I wish I had known about this as that’s my home town and would so loved to meet you in person after all our correspondence last Summer! I am in Cashiers at the moment, but heading back home over the weekend. I hope you have a wonderful time in Atlanta and hope it isn’t too hot! (much cooler in the mountains!) safe travels and good luck with everything. You will be awesome!!!!
Lisa

Cindy June 20, 2012 at 6:11 am

Sounds like so much fun! I wish I was going! :-(

I am just diving into the world of house blogging – writing about my passion, what a dream is that?! Hope to see you at a future conference sometime. I’d definitely sit next to you – heck, I’d take you out to dinner. LOL

Have fun! Take lots of pics! We want all the details when you return, k?

Ricki Jill Treleaven June 20, 2012 at 7:20 am

It sounds like a fantastic conference, and I am sure everyone will be excited to meet you, Julia!

xo,
RJ

Lisa June 21, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Good luck at the conference! I can’t to hear the details.

I am also a huge over-packer. Even if I start out with a good plan I always throw a ton of extra things in “just in case.”

Eileen June 21, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I hope you have a great time at HAVEN :) I wanted to go so badly, but being my 8th month of pregnancy, and trying save up my vacation time ’til the very end, I’ve been struggling since February to not sign up and go. I look forward to seeing everyone’s reports and interactions. It’s so neat when all the blogosphere collides.

On a funnier note, I happened to see the GOOP entry from Gwyneth Paltrow today (guilty pleasure of mine), and it had a travel theme. One of of the categories was luggage, and her pick was this shiny, secret-spy, briefcase looking carry-on. I looked it up since I hadn’t heard of that brand before, and thought ‘wow, I’m shocked that it’s at a somewhat normal price of $126!’ And then I realized… I had missed that last 0….

Leo Windham June 24, 2012 at 4:56 am

Hi Julia,
I just stopped by after meeting you at Haven. Jane and I had a great time and met some really nice and creative people like you. I’ll spend some more time discovering your blog.
Leo and Jane at cottage at the Crossroads.

hookedonhouses June 24, 2012 at 8:34 am

Thanks, Leo! It was so nice meeting you two!

{ 2 trackbacks }