Byebrook: An Idyllic Country Home For Sale in Connecticut

by hookedonhouses on June 10, 2012

Here’s my dream house of the week–a lovely country home on 13 scenic acres  in Weston, Connecticut. It’s on the market for $8.995 million, which is, alas, an 8 and a 9 more than I have in my pocket right now. But hey, a girl can dream, right? Take a look!

The listing says that if you buy this property, you can “canoe on the small lake, walk over the antique bridge and enjoy the river and waterfall.”

It was built in 1935 but has clearly had a lot of work done on it since then.

The house has 5 bedrooms and 5 full baths.

As if that weren’t enough, there’s a charming, 2,600 square-foot guest cottage on the property, too:

A freestanding greenhouse:

And a “barn you can use for antique car storage.” Now I just need to get a few antique cars to put in it (I don’t think the 1995 Geo my son drives is what they have in mind).

Want it? Check the Sotheby’s listing for more photos and information. Hope you’re having a great weekend!

More Interesting Properties For Sale:

Christina from Dallas June 10, 2012 at 8:42 am

Love it! It is charming and warm. Julia, we could pool our resources and buy it together and you could spend your Christmas there and I could spend summers there. Wait, it might still be too expensive. Maybe we need another 20 people to help with the mortage? Lol. Anyway, lovely house. Anyone who lives there is a really lucky person.

missy June 10, 2012 at 8:47 am

Love this house! It reminds me of something we would have around here, but that PRICE! Wow!!!!!

Linda W. in Ontario, Canada June 10, 2012 at 8:49 am

Wow…I could move right in and not change a thing! Perfection….absolutely beautiful!

Cindy June 10, 2012 at 8:57 am

Oh my golly! I LOVE this house!

Sue June 10, 2012 at 9:05 am

$8.995 million. . . lovely house, but this is why I moved from CT to an equally lovely ca. 1850 home near the shores of Lake Ontario, where prices aren’t distorted by the unreality that, unfortunately, is Fairfield County. . .

Sue June 10, 2012 at 9:06 am

… which, BTW, I’ve named “WiseAcres.” :-)

W H Stoneman June 10, 2012 at 9:07 am

Absolutely beautiful…too bad it snows up there!

Jessica June 10, 2012 at 9:44 am

Wouldn’t bother me. I love snow. ;-)

Terry June 12, 2012 at 1:01 pm

If I could afford that house, let it snow! I would simply hire a driver and a crew to clear the road ahead of the car no matter where I wanted to go. Then, when I got back home, I could have someone serve me hot chocolate in front of a roaring fire while I pretended to be a simple country wife.

What a beautiful, dream-like place!!!!

Ann June 10, 2012 at 9:23 am

I love how grand it looks outside
and yet so cozy inside.
Lovely.

Sarah @ housecrazy June 10, 2012 at 9:31 am

wow – that 2600 sf guest house is twice as big as my house! what an estate! I wonder what the property taxes are?

Rick S June 11, 2012 at 12:34 pm

From the property listing
Estimated Taxes: $86,023 ( per year i’m guessing, not lifetime)

rick

Karen June 10, 2012 at 9:36 am

LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! Enough said.

Jessica June 10, 2012 at 9:40 am

Very beautiful! Wouldn’t need to change a thing. If you buy it, we’ll rent the guest cottage from you. Ha

Julia June 10, 2012 at 9:54 am

Perfection! Reminds me of the movie “Christmas in July” with Barbara Stanwyck. (You should check out that home). If I lived here, I’d never leave. They’d have to deliver my groceries; I’d buy everything online. I’d become a cat lady. :)

Tracie June 10, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Me, too. Heck, I’d live in the car garage and be happy!

Stephanie Durdan June 10, 2012 at 10:30 am

I would love to live there! Absolutely beautiful!!

Stephanie June 10, 2012 at 10:32 am

Wow! Perfection!!! And who needs pictures on the walls with those scenic window views ~ Just love it!!!

Susan June 10, 2012 at 11:18 am

Okay Julia ~ let’s see if we can knock the price down to an even 8mil. Maybe then we could each come up with 4 and share the house for 6 months each. Love the house, all of the fabulous other structures and the beautiful grounds! If only I could type up a best selling novel or pitch a television show so I could come up with the dough. Thanks for keeping dreams alive!

Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

Sue June 10, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Go for it! With a million down, a 30-year mortgage at 3% is only $43,098.11 a month.

shabbychick June 10, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Is this a joke??? Seriously, I don’t know anyone who MAKES $43,000 a month – let alone spends that on a house payment. I know EXTREMELY wealthy people. I’ve decorated their homes. I do not know $43,000 a month people. Evidently they exist. In Connecticut……

shabbychick June 10, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Ok, so I just did the math…$43,000 a month = $516,000 a year. I do know quite a few millionaires. I guess I just had no idea what they are spending on their homes. GULP!!

Lynn June 10, 2012 at 11:50 am

WOW! Yes, I will take it…. I just need to start digging through cushions and drawers to see if i can come up with 8 Million.. :)

Black Eyed Susans Kitchen June 10, 2012 at 11:59 am

Compared to the prices of apartments in New York, this is not such an outrageous price. It is a gorgeous property with fantastic possibilities…once again, worth the price of a lottery ticket!!!

Maria June 10, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Oh my. Can you imagine how picturesque this place would be on a snowy Christmas morning? Be still my heart.

CanfieldCrafts June 10, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I love how all the living spaces are obviously big, but without being impersonal. They have so much character and charming details. You can picture yourself reading a book alone by the fire, or having fun with a large party of friends with equal comfort.

:-) CCJ

Tracie June 10, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Swoon
Drool
Wiping away a tear….

For I am smitten!

shabbychick June 10, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Goodness!! You do inspire some MAJOR house envy, Julia! Am I ever loving those front windows…and that room with those beamed ceilings…and that kitchen which reminds me of Paula Deen’s…and the library…and the sunroom…and the fireplace…AND THAT BATHROOM!!!! Why, oh, why do you do this to me? ;)

Miss Em June 10, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Nice! So refreshing to see a real home and not some tricked out, over accessorized, over glamorized, shiny-mirrored, tacky thing.

Guess I’ve seen one too many trendy houses lately.

Jillian@TheHumbleGourmet June 10, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Wow, that is just idyllic. Sign me up please!

Pam @ diy Design Fanatic June 10, 2012 at 5:34 pm

What a gorgeous estate! I love the grounds and the greenhouse. I’d love those plus the guesthouse!

Kim June 10, 2012 at 10:23 pm

What a gorgeous home! I love the woodwork and overall design. Everything was nicely done. I would love this home as a vacation home.

Kristen @ More Than Mulberries June 10, 2012 at 11:25 pm

This needs to be the official “Hooked on Houses” getaway house! Surely SOME sponser out there wants to buy this for us so we can all get together for a nice weekend away now and then? Right?

It’s BEAUTIFUL! I love that it looks like a home, not just a big shell of a place!

Jano June 11, 2012 at 2:16 am

Count me in because this place looks like an American version of “Enchanted April.”

Terry June 12, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Enchanted April??!!! Holy cow! Can I be the Joan Plowright character? I promise not to be quite as snooty as she was at the beginning of the movie. I’m not as pretty as her but I could wing it. OK, I’ve calmed down. You have managed to make me giddy and depressed at the same time.

Jano June 12, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I’ll be the put-upon brunette wife married to Alfred Molina’s character. I don’t look like a “disappointed Madonna” to be the other wife. By the way, “Enchanted April” is available right now for your time-wasting enjoyment on Hulu.

Casey June 11, 2012 at 7:26 am

Absolutely gorgeous! And considering the “guest cottage” is nearly double the square footage of my current home, I think I’d find this place nice and roomy :) Love, love the backyard.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy... June 11, 2012 at 10:05 am

What a delightful place.

Kathryn Perry June 11, 2012 at 1:04 pm

It is reminiscent of the farmhouse in Christmas in Connecticut. So lovely!

Dawn June 11, 2012 at 2:35 pm

OMG, you found my dream house too! Love love love this. I swear, I’m not suppose to be living here in CA but instead in the northeast somewhere. Unfortunately, I’ll never get my native born Cali hubby out of this state. Oh well, I’ll live my dream via blogland!

Brenda June 11, 2012 at 2:36 pm

WOW!!! ’nuff said!

cecile delouvrier June 11, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Wonderful! I’m in love with the river and waterfall running through the garden and I’ll sign in for the guest cottage!

Jane June 11, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I love it! The paint colors in the rooms would let me ” tweak” things to accommodate my collections and accessories but I basically like it as it is. Wouldn’t change much. Unpretentious , warm, and inviting. Idyllic!

KBella June 11, 2012 at 7:01 pm

I live about 20 minutes from here- in ridiculously overpriced Fairfield County, CT and would LOVE to have the “guest cottage” alone!! Sadly, not everyone who lives here can afford this kind of luxury. ;-)

paula soares June 12, 2012 at 3:20 am

So clean and tiddy ideas of home design…Wow! I love it!
For me a 9…definettly!!!

Robin@DTG June 12, 2012 at 6:36 am

Perfect in every way! Love it all…

Richella at Imparting Grace June 12, 2012 at 9:18 am

Oh, Julia! Shades of Holiday Inn!! Do you know which way is Connect-tih-cutt?

This really is the stuff of dreams. Thank you for sharing it!

Eliza June 12, 2012 at 9:35 am

Wow. We live a few towns away, but have driven by the house many times. I always assumed that there were two or three proporties sharing one private road! I’ve always been curious about what they looked like inside. Now that my curiousity is appeased, I have to say I was disappointed. It looks beautifully maintained, but not as charming as many of the other homes in the surrounding area (which usually go for a fraction of the price!)

franky June 12, 2012 at 2:09 pm

love the little bridge over the pond, its so adorable! I wonder if they built it themselves?

mel June 13, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Dream House. ‘Nuf said. :) great site btw

Screendoorgirl 3 June 13, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Totally gorgeous! I love it from head to toe.

Country Girl June 14, 2012 at 7:48 am

*****Love*****

Annmarie June 15, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Dreamy!

Jen M June 15, 2012 at 3:05 pm

DREAM HOUSE!!! This is by far my favorite house that you’ve featured, and that is saying a lot because you always feature great houses here thank you for sharing!

Melissa Rakowski June 17, 2012 at 7:18 am

I live in Westport, CT which is town next to Weston. I have seen this house. It is really special but in the still weak real estate market, there is no way this house will sell at 8+ million. AND, $84,000 per year for taxes is not surprising. Weston is a small town with 2 acre minimum zoning so taxes are high. If you are ever in the Westport, Weston area. Take a drive around. It is a gorgeous place to live with beaches, and beautiful wooded areas.

hookedonhouses June 17, 2012 at 8:31 am

Thanks, Melissa!

CantonWanton September 25, 2012 at 6:49 am

Yep, this is it. I’ll take it.