Byebrook: An Idyllic Country Home For Sale in Connecticut

Here’s my dream house of the week–a lovely country home on 13 scenic acres  in Weston, Connecticut. It’s on the market for $8.995 million, which is, alas, an 8 and a 9 more than I have in my pocket right now. But hey, a girl can dream, right?

“Canoe on the small lake, walk over the antique bridge and enjoy the river and waterfall.”

It was built in 1935 but updated a lot since then.

Kitchen with beamed ceilings:

5 bedrooms and 5 full baths

Study with paneled walls and vaulted ceilings:

Sunroom with views of the waterfall:

Guest cottage:

Freestanding greenhouse:

“A barn you can use for antique car storage:”

Now I just need to get a few antique cars to put in it (I don’t think the 1995 Geo my son drives is what they have in mind, ha). Check the Sotheby’s listing for more information.

Designer Suzy Stout's French Country Farmhouse Illinois
When I saw this "Fantasy French Farmhouse" for sale in Burr Ridge, Illinois, I was not only enchanted by it, but I was sure I'd…
House Hunters on HGTV is Fake
When a reader named Bobi told me that her family was featured on an episode of HGTV's House Hunters, I asked if she'd be willing…

Comments

1. Christina from Dallas says

Love it! It is charming and warm. Julia, we could pool our resources and buy it together and you could spend your Christmas there and I could spend summers there. Wait, it might still be too expensive. Maybe we need another 20 people to help with the mortage? Lol. Anyway, lovely house. Anyone who lives there is a really lucky person.

2. missy says

Love this house! It reminds me of something we would have around here, but that PRICE! Wow!!!!!

3. Linda W. in Ontario, Canada says

Wow…I could move right in and not change a thing! Perfection….absolutely beautiful!

4. Sue says

$8.995 million. . . lovely house, but this is why I moved from CT to an equally lovely ca. 1850 home near the shores of Lake Ontario, where prices aren’t distorted by the unreality that, unfortunately, is Fairfield County. . .

• Terry says

If I could afford that house, let it snow! I would simply hire a driver and a crew to clear the road ahead of the car no matter where I wanted to go. Then, when I got back home, I could have someone serve me hot chocolate in front of a roaring fire while I pretended to be a simple country wife.

What a beautiful, dream-like place!!!!

• Rick S says

From the property listing
      Estimated Taxes: $86,023 ( per year i’m guessing, not lifetime)

rick

Very beautiful! Wouldn’t need to change a thing. If you buy it, we’ll rent the guest cottage from you. Ha

6. Julia says

Perfection! Reminds me of the movie “Christmas in July” with Barbara Stanwyck. (You should check out that home). If I lived here, I’d never leave. They’d have to deliver my groceries; I’d buy everything online. I’d become a cat lady. :)

• Tracie says

Me, too. Heck, I’d live in the car garage and be happy!

7. Stephanie says

Wow! Perfection!!! And who needs pictures on the walls with those scenic window views ~ Just love it!!!

Okay Julia ~ let’s see if we can knock the price down to an even 8mil. Maybe then we could each come up with 4 and share the house for 6 months each. Love the house, all of the fabulous other structures and the beautiful grounds! If only I could type up a best selling novel or pitch a television show so I could come up with the dough. Thanks for keeping dreams alive!

Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

• Sue says

Go for it! With a million down, a 30-year mortgage at 3% is only $43,098.11 a month.

• shabbychick says

Is this a joke??? Seriously, I don’t know anyone who MAKES $43,000 a month – let alone spends that on a house payment. I know EXTREMELY wealthy people. I’ve decorated their homes. I do not know $43,000 a month people. Evidently they exist. In Connecticut……

• shabbychick says

Ok, so I just did the math…$43,000 a month = $516,000 a year. I do know quite a few millionaires. I guess I just had no idea what they are spending on their homes. GULP!!

9. Lynn says

WOW! Yes, I will take it…. I just need to start digging through cushions and drawers to see if i can come up with 8 Million.. :)

Compared to the prices of apartments in New York, this is not such an outrageous price. It is a gorgeous property with fantastic possibilities…once again, worth the price of a lottery ticket!!!

Oh my. Can you imagine how picturesque this place would be on a snowy Christmas morning? Be still my heart.

I love how all the living spaces are obviously big, but without being impersonal. They have so much character and charming details. You can picture yourself reading a book alone by the fire, or having fun with a large party of friends with equal comfort.

:-) CCJ

13. shabbychick says

Goodness!! You do inspire some MAJOR house envy, Julia! Am I ever loving those front windows…and that room with those beamed ceilings…and that kitchen which reminds me of Paula Deen’s…and the library…and the sunroom…and the fireplace…AND THAT BATHROOM!!!! Why, oh, why do you do this to me? 😉

14. Miss Em says

Nice! So refreshing to see a real home and not some tricked out, over accessorized, over glamorized, shiny-mirrored, tacky thing.

Guess I’ve seen one too many trendy houses lately.

15. Kim says

What a gorgeous home! I love the woodwork and overall design. Everything was nicely done. I would love this home as a vacation home.

This needs to be the official “Hooked on Houses” getaway house! Surely SOME sponser out there wants to buy this for us so we can all get together for a nice weekend away now and then? Right?

It’s BEAUTIFUL! I love that it looks like a home, not just a big shell of a place!

• Jano says

Count me in because this place looks like an American version of “Enchanted April.”

• Terry says

Enchanted April??!!! Holy cow! Can I be the Joan Plowright character? I promise not to be quite as snooty as she was at the beginning of the movie. I’m not as pretty as her but I could wing it. OK, I’ve calmed down. You have managed to make me giddy and depressed at the same time.

• Jano says

I’ll be the put-upon brunette wife married to Alfred Molina’s character. I don’t look like a “disappointed Madonna” to be the other wife. By the way, “Enchanted April” is available right now for your time-wasting enjoyment on Hulu.

Absolutely gorgeous! And considering the “guest cottage” is nearly double the square footage of my current home, I think I’d find this place nice and roomy :) Love, love the backyard.

18. Kathryn Perry says

It is reminiscent of the farmhouse in Christmas in Connecticut. So lovely!

OMG, you found my dream house too! Love love love this. I swear, I’m not suppose to be living here in CA but instead in the northeast somewhere. Unfortunately, I’ll never get my native born Cali hubby out of this state. Oh well, I’ll live my dream via blogland!

20. cecile delouvrier says

Wonderful! I’m in love with the river and waterfall running through the garden and I’ll sign in for the guest cottage!

21. Jane says

I love it! The paint colors in the rooms would let me ” tweak” things to accommodate my collections and accessories but I basically like it as it is. Wouldn’t change much. Unpretentious , warm, and inviting. Idyllic!

22. KBella says

I live about 20 minutes from here- in ridiculously overpriced Fairfield County, CT and would LOVE to have the “guest cottage” alone!! Sadly, not everyone who lives here can afford this kind of luxury. 😉

23. Eliza says

Wow. We live a few towns away, but have driven by the house many times. I always assumed that there were two or three proporties sharing one private road! I’ve always been curious about what they looked like inside. Now that my curiousity is appeased, I have to say I was disappointed. It looks beautifully maintained, but not as charming as many of the other homes in the surrounding area (which usually go for a fraction of the price!)

24. franky says

love the little bridge over the pond, its so adorable! I wonder if they built it themselves?

25. Jen M says

DREAM HOUSE!!! This is by far my favorite house that you’ve featured, and that is saying a lot because you always feature great houses here thank you for sharing!

I live in Westport, CT which is town next to Weston. I have seen this house. It is really special but in the still weak real estate market, there is no way this house will sell at 8+ million. AND, $84,000 per year for taxes is not surprising. Weston is a small town with 2 acre minimum zoning so taxes are high. If you are ever in the Westport, Weston area. Take a drive around. It is a gorgeous place to live with beaches, and beautiful wooded areas.