6 Decorating Trends for Summer

by hookedonhouses on May 11, 2012

High Point Market, the largest furnishings industry trade show in the world, is kind of like Fashion Week for us decorating geeks. It’s always interesting to see what trends emerge from it. Here are 6 things that made a strong showing for the Summer of 2012:

#1. BELGIAN GRAYS & PATINAS

#2. THE LOOK OF ARTISAN AND HAND-CRAFTED DESIGNS

#3. EXOTIC PATTERNS INSPIRED BY MOROCCO

#4. BUTTONED UP & TUFTED FURNITURE

#5. INDUSTRIAL CHIC WITH REPURPOSED OBJECTS

#6. PANTONE’S COLOR OF THE YEAR, TANGERINE TANGO

Some other trends were more of what we’ve seen a lot of already, like birds on everything (“Put a bird on it!”), various shades of blue, menswear patterns, and chevron (yep, more zig-zaggy fabrics on their way–reports of chevron’s death were apparently premature).

You can read the entire report on the High Point Market website, which includes descriptions and more examples of each of these trends, as well as a forecast of what’s coming next (think the color purple, whimsical vintage items, and space-age design that the Jetsons would feel right at home in).

Which of these trends are you loving…and which ones could you live without?

Products from the top via Thibaut, Bernhardt, Studio A, Currey & Company, Gus Modern, BoBo, Lexington Home, and Norwalk.

Diane May 11, 2012 at 7:25 am

Love the tufted look..it’s timeless, elegant…and confortable!

Lisa May 11, 2012 at 7:27 am

I love the video!! LOL! I just painted a bird with cherry blossoms on a turquoise background on candlesticks!

hookedonhouses May 11, 2012 at 7:30 am

I’ve seen that “Put a bird on it!” video half a dozen times now but it still cracks me up. :-)

2inz4me May 12, 2012 at 10:53 am

It’s hilarious,

Elizabeth May 11, 2012 at 7:27 am

I think the the orange is sort of eh and not practical. Soon to be dated.
I kind of like the vintage industrial chic. Like the whole restoration hardware catalog. I like the look for hardgoods but not textile items. Lamps, tables etc.
The Belgian gray, nope, almost looks dated and trendy right now. Reminds me of the white patina oak from the eighties.
I always like buttoned and tufted. I actually really like it when it’s juxtaposed with something really informal. Like a fun print or on something you wouldn’t expect (moss velvet button tufted white tulip chair?)
I think moorish influences are always cool but they don’t translate well to new England. They just seem sort of weird here.
And zig zags are cool in a retro way but they have been done to death. I don’t think they are necessarily a dying trend . I mean missoni has been great for years so I think if you aren’t subtle about it and go with just one statement piece, why not? Just go for it.

Kristy May 11, 2012 at 12:15 pm

What she said.
Agree

Jennah May 11, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Agreed. I think tangerine is nice as a limited accent piece (or pieces) but I see it becoming dated quickly.

I, too, love yhe industrial repurposed items. Reduce, reuse, recycle!

2inz4me May 12, 2012 at 10:55 am

Yep. That. It’s like looking at Vogue magazine….I just can’t really relate to any of it.

Wendy May 15, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Exactly like Elizabeth said. Except I love moorish for here in Northern California. Already bored with that grey tones palate.

Living with Lindsay May 11, 2012 at 7:46 am

I have dreams about that Gus Atwood sofa. It desperately needs to live in my house.

Sarah @ housecrazy May 11, 2012 at 8:12 am

So birds are still in eh? I still haven’t gotten my bird yet. But I’m always lagging a few years behind the trends. Since birds are still cool – there’s still time for me! :)

Sabrina May 11, 2012 at 9:05 am

chevron makes me dizzy. :/

sharron May 11, 2012 at 9:50 pm

me too!

Janet May 11, 2012 at 9:21 am

The Moroccan thing has been done to death and maybe go bird watching and leave them off of your pillows. ;)

Karena May 11, 2012 at 9:25 am

Personally I am ready for color; painted furniture bright pillows. If you have neutrals add some punch. The all gray patina is starting to bore me even though their are pieces I see that are fabulous!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Trish @TheOldPostRoad May 11, 2012 at 9:33 am

I am loving gray and orange. Chevron is going to be OUT fast, in my opinion. Handmade will definitely stay IN for a long time. ‘One-of-a-kind’ is way more impressive and interesting than ‘one of 200,000+ made in china.’
-Trish

Maya @ Completely Coastal May 11, 2012 at 9:48 am

I’ve always loved creative repurposing/recycling…, so I like the industrial chic trend (in small doses). Hasn’t it been around for a while though!

hookedonhouses May 11, 2012 at 10:47 am

Seems like it! Maybe it’s just becoming more mainstream?

Susan May 11, 2012 at 10:22 am

Some of these new trends look a bit tired to me. Perhaps High Point should be reading more blogs for some original ideas.

Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

hookedonhouses May 11, 2012 at 10:47 am

Yeah, I think it’s interesting that some of these have been mentioned as trends that are on their way “out” by design bloggers over the past year. I think the furniture industry just moves more slowly because it takes them so long to plan, design, and create the products that they’re bringing to stores. Although I’m guessing that these might look like fresh ideas to people who don’t read as many design blogs and hang out on Pinterest as much as we do! :-)

Cindy May 11, 2012 at 10:26 am

Right now I am CRAVING bright bursts of color paired with crisp, clean white, so the orange isn’t scary for me…but the gray washes just look – I don’t know – dirty and dismal and not attractive. However, I never tend to be ‘in’ with the trends, so what do I know, right?!

I love the Moorish influences, but I like to use those in small doses so they don’t overwhelm my spaces.

As far as the bird thing goes, well, I fill my feeders every day so there are many different birds zipping around my yard. Does that count as me being hip and trendy? ;-)

hookedonhouses May 11, 2012 at 10:43 am

I think it counts! Ha. :)

Mary May 11, 2012 at 10:52 am

I love the idea of some bright colors. I remember my mother decorating our living room in the early 1960′s in Blue and Orange. She was the talk of our neighborhood.

I am over the white/gray look and sorry I painted my bathroom gray. The gray furniture is very Restoration Hardware which has closed in our area. Frankly, I am glad, that store was so depressing.

The Chevron look is scary to me. It always looks angry. I hope it is gone soon.

The tufted look is elegant and very much agree with your follower who said she liked it with an informal fabric.

Kelly May 11, 2012 at 11:04 am

I love the tufted look. I would kill for a Chesterfield sofa.

I’ve also always loved Moroccan/Arab/Islamic architecture, art and design.

Trends I can do without: the color Tangerine and the zig-zag pattern.

mishelle May 11, 2012 at 11:35 am

i love the tufted look too. But would like more colors. Grey is dreary!

Lili May 11, 2012 at 11:45 am

I love the tufted/buttoned look… I HATE the tangerine color… the rest of them are “meh”. I will admit to both loving the “put a bird on it” skit from Portlandia, as well as actually having birds on things for decorations :)

john in nc May 11, 2012 at 11:54 am

my trend for the summer ?
stripes everywhere !

john in nc

Mary May 11, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Well I like all of that !
Mary x

ShabbyChick May 11, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Ho-hum. I do like the grey. But this it isn’t going to change the way I decorate.

Carrie May 11, 2012 at 1:07 pm

I like the grey. I am redoing my bathroom and I’m using a grey marble. I’m getting a little tired of all the beige, taupe, brown neutrals. I hate the orange, that’s a trend I bet will pass fast. I also don’t like the chevrons.
As for the tufted/buttoned furniture, did that once, never again. I had a couch with a buttoned back, and over the years the buttons popped off, one by one. There is no way to repair them! I ended up with a couch with a big, puffy back that was impossible to sit on.

Laura May 11, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I just can’t imagine trying to follow trends in fashion, LET ALONE home decor. Buy antiques! They are usually cheaper than new, they never go out of style (especially if you don’t try to stick to just one period), and you are recycling! I decorated my house 10-15 years ago with furniture I’ve had for much longer than that, and I still love it.

ShabbyChick May 11, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Ditto here…. ;)

2inz4me May 12, 2012 at 10:57 am

cbean May 11, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I had a tufted sofa similar to the white one. It had the high arms. Built like a battleship and about as comfortable. The high arms do not accomidate themselves to the human body or any natural way of sitting or lying (lieing?). When I moved I gave it away. The recipients got rid of it as soon as they could and I don’t blame them! LOL

If those are the currents trends, they can keep them. They look stark and cold for a reason: they are! (:

Nancy Hoffmann May 11, 2012 at 1:30 pm

None of these trends appeal to me. I prefer to keep my house trend-free and classic in design so it does not become dated. Now if I could find a place to sell my antique collectibles. I’m desiring a cleaner look but can’t bear to give it away.

Terri May 11, 2012 at 1:45 pm

YAHA. I am painting my master bedroom walls in a gray with black and white bedding. Refinishing some vintage furniture in another shade of gray and using the tangerine as an accent. I am ahead of the curve or have been brainwashed by looking at too many magazines and websites.

Brandy May 11, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Meh, aren’t most of these trends already “done”? It’s like they walked through Restoration Hardware and West Elm, grabbing random bits and bobs. The only one I might pick up on is the tufting. The grey, grey, grey! thing is starting to drive me bonkers. It is just so sterile compared to other, warmer, neutrals out there–I’ve still got creamy walls and love them. And the orange…My mother has had orange curtains for years and years, but paired with deep burgundies, eggplant purples, chocolate browns, and tans. That combo feels warm and cozy (if a bit dated ;-)); but just popping in a few bursts of tangerine? Not so much–especially with the ubiquitous greys.

Me? I’m more of a cross between traditional (Bassett casegoods), comfortable (RH upholstered pieces), casual (PB-style lamps and things), and just a few touches from Etsy. Anybody else a combo kind of guy or gal?

ShabbyChick May 11, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Yep, me too!

Kim May 11, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I’m not a fan of those trends and I don’t care to have them in my house. I want my home to reflect who I am and also feel welcoming, not feel like it’s the current fad.

Rebecca C. May 11, 2012 at 3:09 pm

The tangerine is a little too bright for my taste, and I usually like bright colors. Restoration Hardware used to have such great stuff at reasonable prices. What happened? Now all they carry is grey and more grey and expensive. I think grey used in moderation in the right setting is soothing. Too much, too depressing. I didn’t know that artisan/handcrafted went out of style. I guess I’ve been out of style for a long time. I love one-of-a-kind/handmade things for the house. And the buttons on the furniture would never last very long in my house. I can imagine the buttons popping off as play toys for the kitties.

Laura May 11, 2012 at 7:49 pm

I agree about Restoration Hardware. Very dull and depressing.

Linda@limeinthe coconut May 12, 2012 at 7:40 am

here here

Ricki Jill Treleaven May 11, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Put. A. Bird. On, IT!!!! ROTFLOL you crack me up…..

I like the industrial chic…it set of has a Steampunk vibe to it!

Carolyn in Utah May 11, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Julia–
Just wondering if you’ve seen a show called “HGTV On the Set”. I just noticed that it’s on Saturdays at noon (mountain standard time). Tomorrow’s episode shows the sets of “Modern Family, “Big Bang Theory” and “Desperate Housewives.”
Haven’t heard of it before today…I’ve got it set to record on my DVR– can’t wait to see it!

sharron May 11, 2012 at 9:54 pm

ohh thanks for the heads up!

Linda@limeinthe coconut May 12, 2012 at 7:36 am

Wow…seriously?? Many of those things have been done and gone. Or is it just me? I am SOOO over grey and belgian. Waiting to see it at Walmarts near you!

Birds? seriously, wasn’t that so 2008? ;)

Personally I have always loved a pop of orange, and have always loved the morrocan/moorish influence. But I live in the tropics and both work fine here. Do love me some tufts these days. Looking for a cchesterfield to call my own!

Alex May 12, 2012 at 8:20 am

The grey thing is interesting to me as it’s been a personal favourite decorating shade for years. I’ve had grey bedding for over a decade and I still remember buying 2 sets when I found it because I couldn’t find it anywhere. To *me* it’s classic, not a trend. And it looks really good with camels, browns and turquoise.

I love the industrial look because when mixed in with good textures and fabrics, it can create an really comforting rustic cottage ambiance. And we don’t have Restoration Hardware here in Canada but I love the look of that store (not that I can afford anything in it). I personally find a lot of items they carry heavily influenced by items that I consider classics – worn down trunks, deep wood chests. Things that like are timeless.

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com May 12, 2012 at 8:31 am

Yay I loooove industrial chic.

Carolyn May 12, 2012 at 10:43 am

I’ve lived in High Point all my life and this makes it sound glamorous. Alas, we’re at the epicenter of decorating fashion only two weeks a year. For me, none of these trends seem really new on the scene. Truth is, there’s a huge amount of copying going on with furniture manufacturers. If one has a hit with something, then next market everyone has a version of it. Not a lot of innovation. I’m old enough to remember earlier incarnations and see everything cycle back through. In the 70′s my very first sofa was a contemporary Milo Baughman done in a neutral chevron weave. I wore that sofa out! Hence, I don’t care for chevrons any more, especially in that really bold look they’re shown in now. I’ve never been a fan of orange in any way, but I do agree it looks great as a pop against turquoise, and I might even like it if these colors are used in a bird print! As for the gray Belgian antique look, I think it looks smashing in an old European context, but very few American houses have the architecture to carry it off. I can also remember when pickled and limed woods were the rage and quickly fell out of fashion and dated anyone’s home who had them. So, I don’t think the gray woods will have a long shelf life, though I think as a wall color a warm gray (taupey gray) will always be around, as will charcoal – it’s a classic, especially with contemporary furniture. I think anything handmade or artisanal will always have a place. I do like the organic look of natural materials and things taken from nature, part of the “green” movement, and a wabi sabi aesthetic and hope it will stay around. I much prefer it to the loud garish colors and patterns that seem to mimic the late 60′s to me. As for tufted upholstery, if done well it can be really comfortable. It doesn’t have to be the hard ungiving lumpiness of your grandmother’s (or great-grandmother’s) sofa. What could be more classic than a Chesterfield sofa? And finally, I like a little bit of the industrial look, especially in lighting, but wouldn’t want to overdo it. Oh yes – the Moroccan look – also reminds me of the early 70′s, kind of hippie bohemian. I think it’s a fun mix, but seems more suited to a warm, tropical climate.

Maggy May 13, 2012 at 2:55 pm

I agree with some of the earlier comments .. I like the tufted look, but only if it’s comfortable to sit on (and that first sofa looks pretty darn comfortable; #4 looks anything but!). While I like the style of the bed and the “tucked in” look, those styles of bed frames are a nightmare when it comes to bed-making and changing sheets.

Can’t say that I’m a fan of the mid-century look; as a mid century “boomer”, it just all looks dated. If I never see an orange, avacado 0r “autumn harvest” inspired piece again, it’ll suit me just fine!

While I appreciate most industrial-inspired pieces, I don’t like seeing bare bulbs, unless they’re designed to be exposed. Otherwise, the fixture looks unfinished to me.

Fun post, Julia! These “new” design trends sure bring out the opinions in us, don’t they? :- )

Maria May 13, 2012 at 4:22 pm

That put a bird on it video cracks me up every time! These trends don’t do much for me, I’m so over gray, but then again right now with the change to a warm season I always tend to crave a beachy look…still can put a bird on that though! LOL.

Faye Rose May 14, 2012 at 3:03 am

Tangerine color or a color near to orange is can’t be questioned as a color trend today. This color stimulates our desires to be enthusiast and creative in everything. In such it stimulates our appetite, activity, socialization and character. Nothing to argue, this color is the trend!

Karen May 14, 2012 at 11:11 am

I love the tufted look of the couch in the first picture, but wonder if that type of couch is very comfortable. My priorities are more about what is comfortable first and foremost as purchasing something that is fashionable, pretty, but useless is really a waste of my time and money. I’m not really a fan of anything else, except I do like some of the Moroccan inspired designs and agree that they are reminiscent of the hippie bohemian trend–not too keen on the hippie part, but do love the bohemian. I’m not a fan of grey either, although there are some examples where I love the look depending on how it is used, but I find it rather boring and uninspired when I see it used so often. Not too enthused either about the use of tangerine, except I saw it used in a kitchen once with white cabinets and loved the look of it in that application. I think that kitchen was featured on AT too.

Maria at inredningsvis.se May 15, 2012 at 2:05 pm

LOVELY POST:) I really like your blog and I will happily follow.

If you want some swedish decor inspiration, you can check out my blog:)
Have a great week.

LOVE Maria at inredningsvis.se
(Sweden)

Diana May 17, 2012 at 7:34 am

I live an hour and a half from High Point and have never been to the furniture market. What is wrong with me???

frank May 31, 2012 at 12:03 pm

i’ve really like the whole look of greys! the wall pattern is really nice, what type of pattern is it? and does it come in other colours?

Julia Klimek June 4, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I agree with someone who said something akin to – how do we keep up with trends in fashion, much less decorating. Don’t get me wrong, love reading about it all, and think some of it’s cool and some of it’s cooky, but I have to do my own thing (which is generally determined by budget). Lol!

{ 4 trackbacks }